ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend Jukebox...

Keeping with 80s New Wave - The Jam (To Be Someone); bonus Noel Gallagher cover version (which I saw him perform with Oasis in Pittsburgh in the 90s - was wonderful)....

It's Pearl Harbor Day and, as I think back to World War II, this song came to mind. It was recorded in 1943 by Bing Crosby and was written to honor our soldiers overseas who longed to be home. We still have a lot of men and women who will not be home for Christmas, so this is for them.

This was a one time collaboration. Pretty amazing list of artists that played on this album. Steve Winwood, Ron Wood, mick Fleetwood, George Harrison, Jim Capaldi

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
It's Pearl Harbor Day and, as I think back to World War II, this song came to mind. It was recorded in 1943 by Bing Crosby and was written to honor our soldiers overseas who longed to be home. We still have a lot of men and women who will not be home for Christmas, so this is for them.

This song always made my mother (born in 1936) cry whenever it came on. Now, 22 years after her passing, it chokes me up when I hear it as I think about her crying listening to it. It’s the circle of life.

Reactions: fairgambit
This song always made my mother (born in 1936) cry whenever it came on. Now, 22 years after her passing, it chokes me up when I hear it as I think about her crying listening to it. It’s the circle of life.

It's a simple but powerful song. I saw a couple of lines somewhere that said, "I waited for my Dad to come home. He never did." That made me tear up.
Thanks for your post. May your mom rest in peace and may you find peace in your memories of her.

I've been posting songs from the 60s and 70s that Hal Blaine played drums on, leading up to Hal's 90th birthday in February, but considering the theme this week I'll instead play a song from college radio in the 80s that mentions Hal Blaine in the lyrics, which isn't exactly consistent with the theme this week but it's as close as I can get while still mentioning Hal Blaine.

ETA: The song is "Hank, Karen and Elvis" by Young Fresh Fellows

ADVERTISEMENT