ADVERTISEMENT

Weather For Rutgers Match…

Personally I would stay home. That's why the TV was invented. Or spend the night in State College.

But if I absolutely had to go and return to the Lehigh Valley after the match for some reason, I'd take I-80 to the turnpike or to Rt 33. No portion of that drive is as treacherous as the Rt 322 ski slope, and the storm path will hit the northern route 2+ hrs later than the southern route.

snow-spreads-01.15.2022.jpeg
I80 is horrible from Bellefonte to the jersey shore exit.. Some of the worst winter accidents I have ever seen.

Reports are ALL over the map on this one. Storm starts at 9, storm starts at 2. .5 inches of snow, 20 inches of snow, .25 inches of ice.... Just another winter in Happy Valley Weather (where nearly all of the time, reality underwhelms prognostication). This is in part why I'm more of a Happy Valley Wrestling fan than a Happy Valley Weather fan.
All over the place, but all drifting downward, which usually means it's going to be a dud.

I80 is horrible from Bellefonte to the jersey shore exit.. Some of the worst winter accidents I have ever seen.
Awful PA freeway is redundant.

I grew up < 5 mi from I-80 and know it well in the winter. Within the context of all PA roads being atrocious, it's fine as long as people don't play Mario Andretti.

In any case, the choice here is I-80 vs. taking the Rt 322 downhill slalom in the winter, with a winter storm coming from the south that will hit 80 later than 322/78.

Last edited:
…the 11:00 forecast shows 76% probability of snow starting in SC @ 4 PM, increasing to 96% at 5 - then 100% by 7PM… I used to always come up on I-80 for wrestling but it is treacherous at night because of the wind turning wet road to ice…
…my bride is in sync with staying home and watching it once again on the TV, saving 6 hrs of driving…
…we have reservations for the whole weekend of the OSU/Nebraska meets so hopefully we can come up then…
…our wedding anniversary is the end of January and we always spend the weekend nearest the date to stay at the Nittany Lion (now closed) and enjoy old memories…hopefully the weather will cooperate … 👏👏👏

Current Weather Channel forecast is down to 3-5 inches tonight around State College.

Reactions: mcpat
Coming from the west for my three hour drive I'm screwed.

If this storm was only delayed two hours I'd be good and going.

The wife doesnt want me to go.

If I go and wreck, I'd never live it down.

I'm also retired but something doesn't seem right to go, stay over night in SC while the wife stays home and shovels the foot of snow off the driveway. ( I told her I'd do the sidewalk).

I'm all for gender equality but it doesn't seem right.

I made a spreadsheet of snow by hour in the towns I would pass on the drive up and back. Cresson, PA is still the undisputed champ at over 5.8 inches.

The rest of the trip is slightly under that going home.

My other worry is the cold. If I have car problems in these temps it would be like the Bo and Rutgers match, brutal.

I'm also retired but something doesn't seem right to go, stay over night in SC while the wife stays home and shovels the foot of snow off the driveway. ( I told her I'd do the sidewalk).

I made a spreadsheet of snow by hour in the towns I would pass on the drive up and back. Cresson, PA is still the undisputed champ at over 5.8 inches.

My other worry is the cold. If I have car problems in these temps it would be like the Bo and Rutgers match, brutal.
For me, coming from the east, it had to include an overnight. Seven mountains. Just hope they still have it, although I have to think it's on at this point. I only typically attend one match a year in person. Super excited!

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
After issuing a winter storm watch on Friday, the National Weather Service has put a winter weather advisory into place from 4 p.m. Sunday to 1 p.m. Monday for portions of central Pennsylvania, including Centre County. According to a 9 a.m. Sunday update from the NWS, snow and mixed precipitation is expected with total snow accumulations of 4 to 6 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu and mcpat
For those braving the elements and going to the match, the NWS is still calling for 8-11 inches here in Cresson. Festivities starting around 1. It's not the snowfall I'm really worried about. They're calling for high winds along with it. It's going to make some nasty drifts.

If they were going to do so, they would have cancelled or rescheduled the time by now, right?

If they were going to do so, they would have cancelled or rescheduled the time by now, right?
I live in S. Wmspt, which is only a 70 mile trip and we decided it wasn't worth the attempt to view in person due to the forecast. Does anyone know how much the athletic dept makes for this match to be televised on ESPNU? I'd be curious to know.

For those braving the elements and going to the match, the NWS is still calling for 8-11 inches here in Cresson. Festivities starting around 1. It's not the snowfall I'm really worried about. They're calling for high winds along with it. It's going to make some nasty drifts.
8 to 11 inches of snow is a threat in Cresson from September through May.

8 to 11 inches of snow is a threat in Cresson from September through May.
Several years ago, I planned raspberries in the spring. A couple days later, a snow storm came, knocked a large branch off a tree and onto my newly planted berries. Luckily they're pretty hearty and survived.

Reactions: Nook_Shneer
I'm going, but it's a local drive for me. Mrs. Roar and I agree that we wouldn't go if we didn't live where we do.

From 322 East, Seven Mountains could easily be shut down if we're in the half-inch-an-hour rate, despite having at least two dedicated Penn Dot trucks.

Same with 26 West, towards Huntingdon, as Pine Grove Mountain is normally not well taken care of...it shuts down quicker than any other road in the area.

Cressen Mountain (22 West) area is especially tough because of high winds. We live in Pittsburgh part-time, and sudden squalls have been tough enough over the years, let alone dealing with a significant winter storm.

There's others, but you "get the drift" :) ;) .

Reactions: tgar
Several years ago, I planned raspberries in the spring. A couple days later, a snow storm came, knocked a large branch off a tree and onto my newly planted berries. Luckily they're pretty hearty and survived.
20 years ago, give or take, I planted a single black raspberry bush alongside our house. It now takes up that entire side of the house plus back along the fence. Starting the last couple days of June to the middle of July I get as many as I can possibly eat, usually several pies and my wife cans about 4 dozen quart jars for me.
Even with the now bushes providing plenty of berries, I still run over to Sinking Valley to get more.
I do love eating raspberries.

I live on the NC & SC border. The snowstorm came through before sunrise. Probably 5 inches or more. Then it turned to a soft rain and now a hard rain. Only about 3 inches of crusty snow. I am certainly not driving down here. They are worse than the worst in Pa. Wishing you luck :)

20 years ago, give or take, I planted a single black raspberry bush alongside our house. It now takes up that entire side of the house plus back along the fence. Starting the last couple days of June to the middle of July I get as many as I can possibly eat, usually several pies and my wife cans about 4 dozen quart jars for me.
Even with the now bushes providing plenty of berries, I still run over to Sinking Valley to get more.
I do love eating raspberries.
My daughter and the birds get into a fight every year over them. I get scraps if I catch a few they miss while mowing grass.

I live in Allegheny County and decided against going. In addition to the weather, I am concerned about Covid affecting the availability of road crews. I'm glad this one is on TV.
Probably a wise choice. I have a feeling the winds are going to make this worse than it might be otherwise for us here in Cresson. Plus you got Penn and Chickaree to deal with.

Just like the doctor said when I was born, it's going to get ugly.

I decided to stay home myself to avoid hearing the bitching. Lol. I’d be coming from the west as well and know RT 22 at the Cresson Mountain will be bad because… well because it’s always bad through there. 219 will be shitty too. Johnstown is weird when it comes to the weather. If Pittsburgh get 6 inches then you can almost guarantee Johnstown Somerset Ebensburg areas (laurel highlands) will get at least twice that amount. Thinking about it tho, I have shitty luck so what’s most likely to happen will be the weather won’t be bad at all tonight and I’ll be pissed. Well at least I can be home for the start of the Steelers ass whooping tonight.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I decided to stay home myself to avoid hearing the bitching. Lol. I’d be coming from the west as well and know RT 22 at the Cresson Mountain will be bad because… well because it’s always bad through there. 219 will be shitty too. Johnstown is weird when it comes to the weather. If Pittsburgh get 6 inches then you can almost guarantee Johnstown Somerset Ebensburg areas (laurel highlands) will get at least twice that amount. Thinking about it tho, I have shitty luck so what’s most likely to happen will be the weather won’t be bad at all tonight and I’ll be pissed. Well at least I can be home for the start of the Steelers ass whooping tonight.
And best of all, you will still get bitched at about something, but it won't be for driving to State College through shitty weather.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: johnstownsteel
I live a couple miles from the summit exit. I never take the new highway in bad weather. I go old 22. Gets me to the same spot without all the idiots on the highway.

I remember the old billboard on Rt 22 pre 4-lane that said something like "You bet your life on Rt 22". Last time I crossed Cresson in the winter I was doing pretty good in 4WD on packed snow until the wind gust hit and I did about 5 doughnuts before stopping about 6 inches from the median barrier, which was much better than going over the side of the mountain.

I remember the old billboard on Rt 22 pre 4-lane that said something like "You bet your life on Rt 22". Last time I crossed Cresson in the winter I was doing pretty good in 4WD on packed snow until the wind gust hit and I did about 5 doughnuts before stopping about 6 inches from the median barrier, which was much better than going over the side of the mountain.
I can believe it. The new highway though is a giant wind tunnel with some pretty wicked cross winds. I typically only deal with very light traffic on old 22 in bad weather.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
That's the thing with 4WD. Helps you go, but doesn't help you stop.

Well change in my plans.. I wont be at the match as I'm on my way to Pittsburg now for a 535 flight to Vegas. Damn weather!

Last edited:
Snowing now in State college. Light crowd in Rec Hall but more than I expected given its on TV. Snow is starting to lay on road surfaces. So far what has been coming down is very fine. It’s 15 degrees outside but that’s pretty much everywhere in Pennsylvania right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT