ADVERTISEMENT

Weather For Rutgers Match…

androcles

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2003
…driving up for Sunday match from Lehigh Valley…
…a start time of 5 PM delays drive back home to likely 7:30-10:30 PM…
…I know weather forecasts for SC are very finicky but it would be helpful if anyone hears a fairly reliable “start of the storm” forecast before Sunday… 🙏🙏

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Basically the weather matches the ad above. "Cranky due to a sluggish gut"-- sponsored by MiraLax. Is this more accurate than the weatherman?

Last edited:
…thanks for the information…
…if the snow doesn’t start until 8-9 PM Sunday it should be possible to get over Seven Mts and be on our way home safely…
…any change in the timing over the next 2 days will be critical to our journey…

…if the snow doesn’t start until 8-9 PM Sunday it should be possible to get over Seven Mts and be on our way home safely…
When I'm working in the field, I've had good success with Accuweather's hourly forecast as to when precipitation is supposed to start. It's fairly reliable about 6-8 hours out. Longer than that, it starts to drop off.

Rendering of Androcles’ perilous journey ahead:

giphy.gif

2153-parent__88680.1551495611.jpg

By late tonight (Thursday), Accuweather's hourly forecast will include the time period we are discussing. Even then, a good bit can change in 3 days.

This thread surely will contain updates as we get closer to Sunday.

Rendering of Androcles’ perilous journey ahead:

giphy.gif

2153-parent__88680.1551495611.jpg
Ahh yes, my introduction to gaming. The creation of that game was the direct reason for my never being able to live up to my potential in life and the reason why I was always too sleepy to put in an honest days labor. The Oregon Trail was the gateway “drug” for many Gen Xers. Myself included. When Atari came out,..then Nintendo (specifically Tecmo Bowl), there was no longer any hope for me…. Lol

Last edited:
Ahh yes, my introduction to gaming. The creation of that game was the direct reason for my never being able to live up to my potential in life and the reason why I was always too sleepy to put in an honest days labor. The Oregon Trail was the gateway “drug” for many Gen Xers. Myself included. When Atari came out,..then Nintendo (specifically Tecmo Bowl), there was no longer any hope for me…. Lol
Believe it or not I have never done any gaming (and I'm almost 58) but I can definitely see the allure of it. People can get pretty passionate about it, especially with online group gaming. One night as an officer we had a 911 call come in saying that someone in a particular house had just shot and killed another person. Fortunately we were familiar with "swatting" calls and didn't go in there guns blazing or set up a full-blown SWAT response, etc. It turns out the teenage son of the family who lived there was playing some online group game and one of the gamers got irritated with him and swatted him.

Believe it or not I have never done any gaming (and I'm almost 58) but I can definitely see the allure of it. People can get pretty passionate about it, especially with online group gaming. One night as an officer we had a 911 call come in saying that someone in a particular house had just shot and killed another person. Fortunately we were familiar with "swatting" calls and didn't go in there guns blazing or set up a full-blown SWAT response, etc. It turns out the teenage son of the family who lived there was playing some online group game and one of the gamers got irritated with him and swatted him.
As a law enforcement officer you should probably avoid ever playing Pokemon Go.

You might love this article as much as I have ever since I saw it:

You might love this article as much as I have ever since I saw it:
That was an enjoyable read. I was born in early 70s so I can relate to much of what is written there. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: nerfstate
That was an enjoyable read. I was born in early 70s so I can relate to much of what is written there. Thanks for sharing.
It’s funny, I’m 54 so solidly Gen X, and work with many in the age group discussed 38-44 or so. Several of them are just utterly clueless re: computers, social media , etc when I should be the one way behind them. I’ll tell them to do a YouTube or simple Google search and they’ll just make it utterly complicated - dude, the algorithms will hook you up.

And they are lost re: GIFs and memes

It’s funny, I’m 54 so solidly Gen X, and work with many in the age group discussed 38-44 or so. Several of them are just utterly clueless re: computers, social media , etc when I should be the one way behind them. I’ll tell them to do a YouTube or simple Google search and they’ll just make it utterly complicated - dude, the algorithms will hook you up.

And they are lost re: GIFs and memes
Hey. Show them this: www.lmgtfy.com

Back to the weather. Two days out it looks like clear sailing in the State College area before the match, with the storm arriving during.

Weather Channel now says 5-8 inches for SC. Sounds a lot batter than 8-12.
Yeah, it doesn't sound to bad for SC which will have the local roads cleared, but it is a long trip home for Androcles thru lots of snow. Stay home Bill, be safe, and watch on ESPNU and we will cheer extra loud to make up for your absence.

Reactions: kevin310 and RandyL
Reports are ALL over the map on this one. Storm starts at 9, storm starts at 2. .5 inches of snow, 20 inches of snow, .25 inches of ice.... Just another winter in Happy Valley Weather (where nearly all of the time, reality underwhelms prognostication). This is in part why I'm more of a Happy Valley Wrestling fan than a Happy Valley Weather fan.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Yeah, it doesn't sound to bad for SC which will have the local roads cleared, but it is a long trip home for Androcles thru lots of snow. Stay home Bill, be safe, and watch on ESPNU and we will cheer extra loud to make up for your absence.
All be safe. If one can, drive up early and consider making arrangements to stay two nights (which is what I've done to avoid a three+ hour drive back to Central MD). It's good to be retired (even as Monday is a federal holiday).

Reactions: Ski
All be safe. If one can, drive up early and consider making arrangements to stay two nights (which is what I've done to avoid a three+ hour drive back to Central MD). It's good to be retired (even as Monday is a federal holiday).
Central MD = Montgomery County? I grew up in SC but we moved to Rockville, MD when I was 16.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Personally I would stay home. That's why the TV was invented. Or spend the night in State College.

But if I absolutely had to go and return to the Lehigh Valley after the match for some reason, I'd take I-80 to the turnpike or to Rt 33. No portion of that drive is as treacherous as the Rt 322 ski slope, and the storm path will hit the northern route 2+ hrs later than the southern route.

snow-spreads-01.15.2022.jpeg

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Personally I would stay home. That's why the TV was invented. Or spend the night in State College.

But if I absolutely had to go and return to the Lehigh Valley after the match for some reason, I'd take I-80 to the turnpike or to Rt 33. No portion of that drive is as treacherous as the Rt 322 ski slope, and the storm path will hit the northern route 2+ hrs later than the southern route.

snow-spreads-01.15.2022.jpeg
Yeah, I'm starting to reconsider making the trip. If I were on the roads by myself I wouldnt think twice about it but there are alot of idiots these days with a drivers license. Lol

Yeah, I'm starting to reconsider making the trip. If I were on the roads by myself I wouldnt think twice about it but there are alot of idiots these days with a drivers license. Lol
If it helps: Accuweather has a bar chart showing predicted snowfall per hour. Can search on a few towns en route to get a feel for the drive home.

With salt + traffic, road snow accumulation < ground. So if Accuweather calls for an inch at the time of your drive, then it should be OK ... assuming you're not passing any cliffs like 7 Mountains.

Hotels available from $90-120 per night - yes I would definitely be spending Sunday night

ADVERTISEMENT