ADVERTISEMENT

Wearing a mask while hiking

Maybe she tested positive and was asymptomatic and she was thinking of protecting others? Also, I have seen people walking, jogging, hiking, riding bikes, driving with masks one. Who cares, you don't know their story and if it makes them comfortable being out then to each his\her\their own.

Reactions: Virginia Joe
Why anyone would wear a mask at any time is beyond me. What you fear will over take you.

So I hit three stores yesterday all within 2-3 minutes of each other, then a drive-thru food place maybe another five minutes away.....I intentionally left my mask on the entire time instead of putting it on and off and on and off and on and off. It’s not unusual at all here in IL to see drivers (and passengers) wearing masks in cars.

In areas outside where you are 6’ and supposedly safe, I still usually wear a mask as everyone is not conscious of ALWAYS staying 6’ away......someone can enter your “safety zone” before you can walk or back away.

Regarding the lady on the trail, I think it would have been rude to ask, especially as a stranger in such an isolated area, why she was wearing a mask. Just my $.02.

As pointed out, maybe she had allergies. But she maybe had extensive dental work going on.....or simply wanted to keep mosquitos and flies out of her nose and mouth.

A more respectable conversation starter: “Yours is the first mask we’ve seen here on the trail today.....does it slow your pace down?”

Reactions: PSUHarry33
So I hit three stores yesterday all within 2-3 minutes of each other, then a drive-thru food place maybe another five minutes away.....I intentionally left my mask on the entire time instead of putting it on and off and on and off and on and off. It’s not unusual at all here in IL to see drivers (and passengers) wearing masks in cars.

In areas outside where you are 6’ and supposedly safe, I still usually wear a mask as everyone is not conscious of ALWAYS staying 6’ away......someone can enter your “safety zone” before you can walk or back away.

Regarding the lady on the trail, I think it would have been rude to ask, especially as a stranger in such an isolated area, why she was wearing a mask. Just my $.02.

As pointed out, maybe she had allergies. But she maybe had extensive dental work going on.....or simply wanted to keep mosquitos and flies out of her nose and mouth.

A more respectable conversation starter: “Yours is the first mask we’ve seen here on the trail today.....does it slow your pace down?”

How about, "Your mask or mine?"

So the wife our dog an I were out hiking on the Appalachian Trail last weekend and passed a 20 something female hiking by herself wearing a mask. My wife and I looked at her and shook our heads after she passed us. We had been on the trail for about 5 and a half hours and only saw 3 other hikers. I do believe there are to many out there living in fear.

it’s almost as crazy as passing someone who is alone in their car wearing a mask. Sometimes I wonder if they sleep in the mask also.

I think some people have their masks on in those situations just to get used to what it feels like.

I did a workout with a personal trainer with my mask on and man it was tough. So I've been wearing it a bit more when outside, to and from the car when doing errands to get used to it instead of putting it on right before I go inside.

Driving with it feels weird. Not doing that.

Let people do what they want. It's like arguing religion not to.

Agree with this and other similar posts. Hard to pass judgement without knowing her back story. Maybe she works in healthcare and has seen the effects of COVID-19 firsthand. Maybe she lost someone to the disease or knows someone who is struggling with it. Either could induce PTSD, which might lead her to be overly cautious in otherwise low risk environments. Maybe, she suffers from hypochondria. Regardless, there are a lot of legitimate reasons to roll one’s eyes at people’s behaviors...I don’t necessarily think this is one of them.
Or maybe she’s just dumb as a board.

Reactions: MtNittany
But there is no reason for her not to either. It's not mandatory to NOT wear a mask outside.
It's her decision. Not anyone else's.

Because you know - Constitutional Rights and all. :rolleyes:
How ironic that you bring up the constitution in a discussion about masks. Huh.

And her personal decision bothers you....why?

My guess is b/c there's very little FB to talk about this board. The board's next best uses are (1) "All Knowing Board" type inquiries; and (2) idle bitching. I've been known to engage in a fair amount of (2) myself.

This doesn’t have to be a mask vs no mask debate. My simple question to the OP and anyone else in this thread is why do you care what other people do? If someone is wearing a mask in their car, in their house or anywhere else why is that any of your business? Why judge them? Why do you feel the need to “look at them and shake your head”? You do you and let them do them!!

3 pages because someone made an observation and I would have made the same one - I find it silly to wear a mask when driving by myself in my car. BUT if you want to do it go ahead I don't care but I have the right to think it's silly and No I would not chastise you for it because that is also your right so many people here are so concerned about thinking they have the right to tell others how they should feel and act and god forbid you don't conform because you know they are always right.

Reactions: Lionguy32
There's a middle-aged woman (no pics) that jogs with a mask and gloves on. I (for fear of being harmed) would never stop and ask her why. I keep my distance.
apparently, she hates blood spatter. wise choice;).

I do some hiking here in Florida. When I see other hikers approach I step off the trail and allow them 6 ft or more as they pass. Most are grateful and say thanks as they walk by.

We do the same, but take a mask as well. In our area, and I would think the AP trail, there are places where one cannot distance themselves. So we pull up the mask when necessary.

All of this said, I think the 6 foot rule is kind of silly. Ever have a woman in heavy perfume walk by? A cigarette smoker? You can breath their air much further than 6 feet, especially outside with a breeze that might not even be noticeable.

Where I live people are absolutely oblivious to the risks. They don't wear masks and don't social distance. The problem is that the infection rate does not have enough granularity. You might get it by a county or something, but not a neighborhood due to privacy rights. And you won't know where those people have been during the last two weeks.

This is going to turn into a nightmare this winter.

Funny.. i re-read the OP and (imo) all he's saying is wearing it on the trail outdoors is almost as crazy as wearing it while driving alone. About sums it up.

I take from it the OP finds it rather silly behavior (agree) but didn't disparage or berate the hiker... just observed something seemingly foolish -- except as others have pointed out, she might have just put the mask on or was wearing it because she had covid (in which case kindly do not be outside lol) or has allergies, etc.

Now, as to the part about wearing it while driving... well that DOES endanger others as people get less O2 while wearing a mask (yeah, that's a fact) and it can impair (and has already done so) the driver's ability to think and make sound judgment calls while driving a vehicle.

For me, wearing a mask while hiking (absent other conditions) is silly but knock yourself out if it makes you happy. While driving? Another matter altogether. [I once heard an elderly person say that covid gets caught in the air filter of the vehicle and eventually seeps into the cabin... that is why the mask is required. Yikers.]

I'll be in montana hiking in a month (the gods of fate willing) and with some young nyc liberals for whom wearing mask while hiking might be the new norm. Or not.. we'll soon see!

Reactions: Sullivan
Wait a dang gum second!!! The OP stated he saw a "20 something female" on a trail wearing a mask and there are NO pictures!!! Doesn't this constitute a flag???!!!! Some people are off their game without any football:D:eek::cool:

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Fac
Wait a dang gum second!!! The OP stated he saw a "20 something female" on a trail wearing a mask and there are NO pictures!!! Doesn't this constitute a flag???!!!! Some people are off their game without any football:D:eek::cool:

AND

Maybe she was ONLY wearing a mask and the OP was so fixated on that he didn’t notice! :p

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Funny.. i re-read the OP and (imo) all he's saying is wearing it on the trail outdoors is almost as crazy as wearing it while driving alone. About sums it up.

I take from it the OP finds it rather silly behavior (agree) but didn't disparage or berate the hiker... just observed something seemingly foolish -- except as others have pointed out, she might have just put the mask on or was wearing it because she had covid (in which case kindly do not be outside lol) or has allergies, etc.

Now, as to the part about wearing it while driving... well that DOES endanger others as people get less O2 while wearing a mask (yeah, that's a fact) and it can impair (and has already done so) the driver's ability to think and make sound judgment calls while driving a vehicle.

For me, wearing a mask while hiking (absent other conditions) is silly but knock yourself out if it makes you happy. While driving? Another matter altogether. [I once heard an elderly person say that covid gets caught in the air filter of the vehicle and eventually seeps into the cabin... that is why the mask is required. Yikers.]

I'll be in montana hiking in a month (the gods of fate willing) and with some young nyc liberals for whom wearing mask while hiking might be the new norm. Or not.. we'll soon see!
Enjoy Montana - truly God’s country!!

Hey, nobody here asked you to reread anything so you could make an informed reasonable post. Get with the program.

I have 2 Huskies I take to our 17 acre nearby dog park every day and do 3 laps around it. No one wears a mask but it is a wide open area and easy to stay away from each other. I stay 30-40 feet away from everyone. If I see someone coming close I quickly walk a good 20 feet or so away. If I go anywhere in public that is crowded or in any retail store I always wear the mask. If someone wants to wear a mask out on the trails I think that is their personal choice or maybe they are in a high risk group.

Just curious about where you learned that, since I've understood that to not be true.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victor...y-measuring-their-oxygen-levels/#7e2deaaed013
I will get back to you on this but am on short leash time-wise. Articles I've seen (studies indicate the exact opposite. So we'll see how that shakes out. I do have it bookmarked somewhere.]

But ask yourself this... if your O2 levels are not impaired, why do we exempt people with breathing issues (asthma, cpd, etc) from wearing a mask?

So the wife our dog an I were out hiking on the Appalachian Trail last weekend and passed a 20 something female hiking by herself wearing a mask. My wife and I looked at her and shook our heads after she passed us. We had been on the trail for about 5 and a half hours and only saw 3 other hikers. I do believe there are to many out there living in fear.

it’s almost as crazy as passing someone who is alone in their car wearing a mask. Sometimes I wonder if they sleep in the mask also.

Did it occur to you she may have a compromised immune system and any other underlying conditions, but still wanted to hike? Good thing you shook your head though...you showed her.

In all fairness, he was with his wife (and dog), and unless you're the Falwell's (sorry, bad joke here), snapping shots of young females is likely to have you left out as bear bait. What the dog thinks about it, I can't say, but pretty sure i know my wife's reaction lol.

AFTER she passed by. So they showed her nothing.
The fact that it bothered them is idiotic...so much so he posted about it here. Someone wearing a mask right now is not some odd thing as you DON'T know their MEDICAL history or reasoning. It's a f--king idiotic thing to gripe about....plain and simple. How the f--k does that impact someones life....I'm shaking my head at him and his wife right now.

Reactions: Virginia Joe

Masks cannot block oxygen or any other gas. Oxygen is around 0.3 nanometers (nm) in size while the pore size of an N95 mask is around 0.3 micrometers in size. In other words, it is 1,000 times smaller that what the mask can trap. It is as likely for a chain link fence to stop a mosquito as it is for a mask to stop oxygen. You get the same amount of oxygen with a mask as without.

Race car drivers wear fireproof balaclavas that can cover their mouth during racing and no one is claiming that their reflexes or mental acuity is affected due to oxygen deprivation. All kinds of people wear masks for long periods of time (much longer than a typical commute) without any ill effects. If what you claim would be true then surgeons, auto body paint techs, and contractors would struggle to perform their jobs.

Reactions: BBrown
Such a shallow view you have. I wear mine out of respect for others, plus if I want to go into a store or restaurant it is required. Me wearing a mask has nothing to do with fear.
Kind of ironic coming a guy that probably hasn't left his house since this began, right?

Earlier in the pandemic a woman in NJ crashed her car because she passed out from wearing a mask too long while driving in car alone. Fear I here, and getting worse. I believe it is the unknown that scares people the most.

Reactions: unclewill
ADVERTISEMENT