ADVERTISEMENT

We might not be redshirting anyone

This prompted me to watch a couple of Carlton's matches on youtube. Man--that guy moved his feet more than any hvwt I've ever seen. Constant motion.
Just for the record, he won 6 championships. Freshman year he beat a kid 4x then loss to him in finals. That kid got third at NCAA division one. Should of been 7x and maybe 8x.

Reactions: nerfstate
Does anyone care to predict or make an educated guess on the following questions? If the upcoming year is a free year eligibility wise, what are the chances Nick Lee moves up to 49, opening up 41 to get Bartlett in lineup? If Lee stays at 41, would Bartlett move up to 49 and face off with Verk? Tia.

Does anyone care to predict or make an educated guess on the following questions? If the upcoming year is a free year eligibility wise, what are the chances Nick Lee moves up to 49, opening up 41 to get Bartlett in lineup? If Lee stays at 41, would Bartlett move up to 49 and face off with Verk? Tia.
Blutarski - 0.0

Reactions: Ja1339
If it's a free yr do they 1 have ncaa championship 2. What would it really count for. Anyone winning/placing wouldhave big * along with last yrs so called all americans

If it's a free yr do they 1 have ncaa championship 2. What would it really count for. Anyone winning/placing wouldhave big * along with last yrs so called all americans
I think the idea of the imposing mass shirting played a role in the NCAA doling out the “free year”( was it actually announced?) If there is truly a free year granted,wouldnt it be smart for “everyone” to wrestle, therefore why would there be a need for asterick?

I think the idea of the imposing mass shirting played a role in the NCAA doling out the “free year”( was it actually announced?) If there is truly a free year granted,wouldnt it be smart for “everyone” to wrestle, therefore why would there be a need for asterick?
You're giving the NCAA a lot of credit for deep thinking about one non-revenue sport.

Guessing the thought process is more like: we're doing it for football. If we do it for hoops, then let's go ahead and do it for all winter sports.

It's been discussed before, but I don't think it will happen.

You're creating an unknown (moving Nick up to an unfamiliar weight) to make room for another unknown (Bartlett in the line-up). I just don't see it.

Reactions: Ja1339
I felt like Senior Nationals really displayed the potential folly in just "moving up a weight" when your body isn't there yet. I don't know how else to explain Pletcher's performance, for instance. His horsepower was a huge strength in the NCAA season last year, but he seemed unable to move people at 65KG. It turns out Bo did this his last year--but how many people have the tools Bo has? I'd love to see Nick be Nick at 149 for the team, but if he isn't, I see no reason to jeopardize his chances at a title. If Yianni is moving up, he'd have to be a favorite at 141. In the end, I'm a proud PSU sheep, so however Cael waves his wand, I will eat it up.

PS, I also enjoy eating, and preparing my own mixed metaphors....

Last edited:
It's been discussed before, but I don't think it will happen.

You're creating an unknown (moving Nick up to an unfamiliar weight) to make room for another unknown (Bartlett in the line-up). I just don't see it.
You're also taking a solid, if not heavy, title favorite and moving him to a weight where he becomes a huge underdog to Yianni.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
FREE YEAR! LET’s go baby! Nobody shirts! Is Kirk not eligible since he competed in NLWC event?
We have a bunch wrestling in the upcoming NLWC event. I believe Kirk was taking an Oly shirt, is he a registered student? Can he register for Jan classes and wrestle?
So many questions.....

We have a bunch wrestling in the upcoming NLWC event. I believe Kirk was taking an Oly shirt, is he a registered student? Can he register for Jan classes and wrestle?
So many questions.....
I'm wondering if the (alleged?) rule about non-participation prior to 11/1 gets waived.

Because, really, the concept of an Olympic Shirt is absurd if everybody else gets a free year.

On FRL this morning was J. Jaggers to talk about the NCAA Proposal/passing. Some things were covered previously and some others I initially wondered about but wasn't sure about the "free year". It is behind pay wall but they normally post those on YouTube at some point so I have included the run of show below whenever that gets posted: https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...extra-year-of-eligibility-for-winter-athletes

Interesting things that I took away
- Only senior scholarships can be over the 9.9 next year. So Iowa and to a certain extent Michigan, will be well over the limit (I think every school probably has at least one senior on scholarship). Schools can decline them if they want. I doesn't seem right but I wonder if they could do individual case basis. I can't see Iowa saying Spencer Lee gets his but Alex Marinelli does not (picked two good kids to just cause any controversy).

- I don't think Iowa declines all the scholarships for the potential national championship pursuit but they have six seniors in the lineup. Don't think they are all full rides but six years worth of scholarships is almost 300K at Iowa just for wrestling in addition to the other sports and they just cut sports so it is not like the money is rolling in right now. The other question would be do kids want to be in school that long.

- Juniors, sophomores, and freshman count towards the 9.9 every year and so that makes for some interesting conversations with the Class of 2022. PSU is younger right now but they were counting on at least Berge and maybe RBY (he did have redshirt to use either way) to possibly be gone by 2022.

- This wasn't covered in the interview and I am not sure how it works but if Nick Lee and Greg Kerkvliet aren't enrolled they wouldn't be getting a scholarship since they don't have fees? Don't know if that money was allocated elsewhere but it is not like they can just enroll in the spring without somebody taking a potential economic hit as the limit this year is still 9.9.

- They also talked about transfers and the one time no penalty. Examples were posed of kids going to a school for one year with everybody pushed back and then knowing he is going to transfer when that lineup spot comes open. This would probably look bad for the "first" school if they did employ that strategy but I thought of the DeSanto situation even if that wasn't his intent when he enrolled. I would hope not but Drexel got some good publicity that year even if they thought they were in for the long haul. Maybe this is a bad example but Kentucky basketball is well known for recruiting kids who have no intention of graduating from that school.

Run of Show
0:00 - Associate Head Coach at Ohio State J Jaggers joins the show to talk about the ramifications the extra year of eligibility for winter athletes will have on programs
0:27 - Thoughts on what Coach Jaggers had to say and more thoughts on the topic
0:41 - Jordan Burroughs continues to do workouts that look very Kyle Dake functional pattern esque
0:52 - Which wrestlers from the class 2020 big board should go right away?
0:57 - AJ Ferrari’s tik tok game is strong
01:03 - Should Daton Fix and Nick Suriano both go 125 this year?
01:09 - Questions from friends

Forgot to include this as a some interesting things to me were covered. Sounded like the dual season is going to be about eight duals in conference, some tri-meets possible. However, it did seem their might be an option to have a non-conference weekend or two. No mention of moving Big Ten Tournament like the MAC did up a week to create some buffer in between NCAAs should anything happen.

Hate to keep adding but they also mentioned expanding the field. I can't see that happening and am just hoping for 24 NCAA qualifiers instead of 16. However, the NCAA just posted a season memo: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch...d1/men/2020-21D1MWR_SeasonInformationMemo.pdf

Bunch of stuff that only the teams care about with NCAA planning but they mentioned the pre-championship manual will be posted in December which should lay out the qualifying process: http://www.ncaa.org/championships/division-i-wrestling

- Only senior scholarships can be over the 9.9 next year.
- Juniors, sophomores, and freshman count towards the 9.9 every year and so that makes for some interesting conversations with the Class of 2022.
Suspect a lot of guys across the country, starters and depth, are gonna be told this is your last year if you're 4th year or you're on track to graduate early.

Reactions: regularfan
Suspect a lot of guys across the country, starters and depth, are gonna be told this is your last year if you're 4th year or you're on track to graduate early.

This is the reason I am not necessarily all in for this rule. I don't think schools are going to be able to afford it. It is great for the kids currently on the team but is it great for sports that could potentially be cut? I think of Wisconsin last year and their decision and they were somewhere right around the top 10 in terms of revenue in college athletics.

Hate to keep adding but they also mentioned expanding the field. I can't see that happening and am just hoping for 24 NCAA qualifiers instead of 16. However, the NCAA just posted a season memo: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch...d1/men/2020-21D1MWR_SeasonInformationMemo.pdf

Bunch of stuff that only the teams care about with NCAA planning but they mentioned the pre-championship manual will be posted in December which should lay out the qualifying process: http://www.ncaa.org/championships/division-i-wrestling
Ticket process is on hold.In January coaches will be notified about how the ticket process will work

This is the reason I am not necessarily all in for this rule. I don't think schools are going to be able to afford it. It is great for the kids currently on the team but is it great for sports that could potentially be cut? I think of Wisconsin last year and their decision and they were somewhere right around the top 10 in terms of revenue in college athletics.
how about the schools with a big endowment - could they use it to offset?

how about the schools with a big endowment - could they use it to offset?

It's not a bad question and I am sure most would agree with you considering the amount of money sitting there. Not all endowments are set up the same I am sure but the big donations typically have stipulations on them and are used for the big picture goals of the college with the donor's goal in mind. I am not sure that getting student-athletes a fifth year of eligibility would be considered a big picture goal to a school or the donor (enhancing classrooms, libraries, facilities, funding research).

Last edited:
Reactions: a_mshaffer
On FRL this morning was J. Jaggers to talk about the NCAA Proposal/passing. Some things were covered previously and some others I initially wondered about but wasn't sure about the "free year". It is behind pay wall but they normally post those on YouTube at some point so I have included the run of show below whenever that gets posted: https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...extra-year-of-eligibility-for-winter-athletes

Interesting things that I took away
- Only senior scholarships can be over the 9.9 next year. So Iowa and to a certain extent Michigan, will be well over the limit (I think every school probably has at least one senior on scholarship). Schools can decline them if they want. I doesn't seem right but I wonder if they could do individual case basis. I can't see Iowa saying Spencer Lee gets his but Alex Marinelli does not (picked two good kids to just cause any controversy).

- I don't think Iowa declines all the scholarships for the potential national championship pursuit but they have six seniors in the lineup. Don't think they are all full rides but six years worth of scholarships is almost 300K at Iowa just for wrestling in addition to the other sports and they just cut sports so it is not like the money is rolling in right now. The other question would be do kids want to be in school that long.

- Juniors, sophomores, and freshman count towards the 9.9 every year and so that makes for some interesting conversations with the Class of 2022. PSU is younger right now but they were counting on at least Berge and maybe RBY (he did have redshirt to use either way) to possibly be gone by 2022.

- This wasn't covered in the interview and I am not sure how it works but if Nick Lee and Greg Kerkvliet aren't enrolled they wouldn't be getting a scholarship since they don't have fees? Don't know if that money was allocated elsewhere but it is not like they can just enroll in the spring without somebody taking a potential economic hit as the limit this year is still 9.9.

- They also talked about transfers and the one time no penalty. Examples were posed of kids going to a school for one year with everybody pushed back and then knowing he is going to transfer when that lineup spot comes open. This would probably look bad for the "first" school if they did employ that strategy but I thought of the DeSanto situation even if that wasn't his intent when he enrolled. I would hope not but Drexel got some good publicity that year even if they thought they were in for the long haul. Maybe this is a bad example but Kentucky basketball is well known for recruiting kids who have no intention of graduating from that school.

Run of Show
0:00 - Associate Head Coach at Ohio State J Jaggers joins the show to talk about the ramifications the extra year of eligibility for winter athletes will have on programs
0:27 - Thoughts on what Coach Jaggers had to say and more thoughts on the topic
0:41 - Jordan Burroughs continues to do workouts that look very Kyle Dake functional pattern esque
0:52 - Which wrestlers from the class 2020 big board should go right away?
0:57 - AJ Ferrari’s tik tok game is strong
01:03 - Should Daton Fix and Nick Suriano both go 125 this year?
01:09 - Questions from friends

FYI and FWIW, they usually put the audio up on some of the podcast websites pretty quick. For instance:

It's also usually on facebook I think basically until it gets put on youtube

Last edited:
Reactions: regularfan
It's not a bad question and I am sure most would agree with you considering the amount of money sitting there. Not all endowments are set up the same I am sure but the big donations typically have stipulations on them and are used for the big picture goals of the college with the donor's goal in mind. I am not sure that getting student-athletes a fifth year of eligibility would be considered a big picture goal to a school or the donor (enhancing classrooms, libraries, facilities, funding research).
Also, the non-targeted funds are basically the University President's Pet Project Fund (which explains why most donations are targeted).

This is a very complex question for anyone outside Athletics accounting.

Short version: PSU Athletics has about $25M in reserves and (in August) expected to take out a loan. This was before football got reinstated. Still, PSU had planned to lose $100M in football revenue. Some/all of the B10 $55M should be back in play. Maybe other sources. Ticket/parking/concessions are dead.

So it's hard to imagine PSU having the funds to do much of anything unusual this year.

Plus PSU is one of the few self-sufficient Athletics programs in the country. Also one of the biggest in terms of number of teams -- and really doesn't want to cut sports.

Iowa won't have to worry about the funds for Marinelli's scholarship, they will just use the Moriah slush fund.

So, how do we envision this working out for guys like Facundo?

Is he still going to come to PSU when Starocci will be around for the next five (5!) years?

Even with a grey shirt and a red shirt, Starocci will have several years left in the lineup. Same with Brooks. And Beard, if Facundo is still growing.

Well, I’m a bit confused, but I’ll look forward to Cael’s in depth presser where he explains all of these details thoroughly and fully addresses all of our questions on this new rule 👍
Especially when he talks about giving Spencer Lee a full ride for his SR year, with immediate one-time transfer eligibility, without affecting the 9.9 scholarship limit.

Kerk and maybe Lee aren’t enrolled right now of OLY RS is the plan.
Interesting point raised on FRL during their Jaggers interview this morning was that guys who aren't currently enrolled because they were planning on olympic redshirting might not be able to get scholarship money this year. That's a tough blow for out of state guys like Lee and Kerk (and whoever else this applies to).

Fly in the ointment (read the full attachment, jas a 2nd paragraph worth noting):

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT