ADVERTISEMENT

We have our 125 pounder?

Has this been posted already? There was speculation in the Suriano thread but according to the roster:

Anthony Cassar 197 3 SO Rocky Hill, N.J./Montgomery
Austin Clabaugh 125/133 1 FR York Springs, Pa./Bermudian Springs
Jered Cortez 133/141 5 JR Carol Stream, Ill./Glenbard North

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/psu-m-wrestl-mtt.html

Nice catch - I will update the roster. Looks like the talk Cael had with him post enrollment worked.

I would caution assuming he is going to be our 125 however. Will probably need some big improvement - which is very possible in the room - to win the spot.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Nice catch - I will update the roster. Looks like the talk Cael had with him post enrollment worked.

I would caution assuming he is going to be our 125 however. Will probably need some big improvement - which is very possible in the room - to win the spot.

Dice, I've been saying that I thought Devin Schnupp seemed to be an adequate replacement. Am I missing something? He's on the roster, has been in "the room" for a year, and has probably drilled with Nico and Nick, among others. I know he did not win PIAA State Gold, but some of his 156 wins would have had to be against pretty good competition.

What do you know (or anyone else for that matter) know of him?

what a story it would be for this kid to walk off the hub lawn, a switch goes on and he tears through the season to an improbable AA finish.

#jessewitmeresque
#wouldhtcareiflosstoNSfor3rd

Sorry I did not pay enough attention in another thread when Clabaugh was discussed. Is he like Jan Johnson, a Penn State student who was not planning to join the Penn State wrestling team?

Jan Johnson was a preferred walk on for football.......not just someone on campus.

Bo's pic is priceless.:)

Very premature to anoint Clabaugh the starter at al;g.jsdklagjskl;adjgkl;sdhagkl;
I'm not sure anointed him the starter, I had a ? in the subject. I don't know much about him other than he finished 2nd to Teasdale. I don't know much about any of the others though either.

Who do you see as the guy with the most potential? Yanovich? Schnupp? Lopez?

Let's remember something about Jan. He was in full football mode... then was thrust into a wrestling environment. And... he was giving up 30-40lbs or so vs most opponents. Austin will have the advantage, if he's named the starter, of being at the exact same weight as his opponent.

I'm not sure anointed him the starter, I had a ? in the subject. I don't know much about him other than he finished 2nd to Teasdale. I don't know much about any of the others though either.

Who do you see as the guy with the most potential? Yanovich? Schnupp? Lopez?
To answer that, we kinda have to define "potential" -- potential to do what? Our starter faces an uphill climb to qualify for nationals. B10 returns 7 national qualifiers, including Tomasello, Suriano, and Lizak. Plus some high-profile recruits set to start this year: Kris Williams (Nebraska), Austin Assad (Michigan's starter last year before Youtsey unretired) ... and Spencer Lee if he somehow doesn't shirt.

Based on previous results, Yanovich would appear to be in the lead. He's the only one with a .500 season on the Opens circuit. Caveat emptor on the level of competition all of them faced.

Schnupp placed 6th twice at PA AAA states. From his results, that seems about right -- he consistently beat guys below that, but also rarely beat guys above that and didn't threaten the top guys (Chlebove and Curry beat him a combined 17-1). I can't recall watching any of his matches -- will have to defer to Dice or others on how he looks on the mat.

Clabaugh's obvious appeal is the Teasdale state finals match, being the only guy in 2 years to take Teasdale the full 6 minutes at states. (He might have also been the only guy to not lose before the match started.) this was largely from riding out Teasdale for a full period -- tough on top with legs. He was decent on feet, even got a takedown (on a counter re-shot).

Based on his results, I would guesstimate him in the 6-8 range at AAA states (i.e., approx the same as Schnupp). Not beating DeSanto, Lee, or Anderson, and was pinned by 5th placer Olson. This is the type of guy you'd love to have for depth, and maybe could do some things with a couple years in the room, but likely also needs that time.

Ok, now I'm dipping into some seriously trivial trivia, but Nick Lee looks very much like H P Lovecraft!

To answer that, we kinda have to define "potential" -- potential to do what? Our starter faces an uphill climb to qualify for nationals. B10 returns 7 national qualifiers, including Tomasello, Suriano, and Lizak. Plus some high-profile recruits set to start this year: Kris Williams (Nebraska), Austin Assad (Michigan's starter last year before Youtsey unretired) ... and Spencer Lee if he somehow doesn't shirt.

Based on previous results, Yanovich would appear to be in the lead. He's the only one with a .500 season on the Opens circuit. Caveat emptor on the level of competition all of them faced.

Schnupp placed 6th twice at PA AAA states. From his results, that seems about right -- he consistently beat guys below that, but also rarely beat guys above that and didn't threaten the top guys (Chlebove and Curry beat him a combined 17-1). I can't recall watching any of his matches -- will have to defer to Dice or others on how he looks on the mat.

Clabaugh's obvious appeal is the Teasdale state finals match, being the only guy in 2 years to take Teasdale the full 6 minutes at states. (He might have also been the only guy to not lose before the match started.) this was largely from riding out Teasdale for a full period -- tough on top with legs. He was decent on feet, even got a takedown (on a counter re-shot).

Based on his results, I would guesstimate him in the 6-8 range at AAA states (i.e., approx the same as Schnupp). Not beating DeSanto, Lee, or Anderson, and was pinned by 5th placer Olson. This is the type of guy you'd love to have for depth, and maybe could do some things with a couple years in the room, but likely also needs that time.
All good points, but I'd point out his only loss at 126 was to Teasdale. Haven't done a deep dive on all his competition though. I wouldn't classify him as a starter or as depth, but a kid with a shot to rise or fall on his merits in the room and on the mat.

All good points, but I'd point out his only loss at 126 was to Teasdale. Haven't done a deep dive on all his competition though. I wouldn't classify him as a starter or as depth, but a kid with a shot to rise or fall on his merits in the room and on the mat.
Technically true about only 1 loss at 126, but not sure the Olson loss being at 132 (instead of at 126) matters. It was well before either dropped to 126, and both of them ended up at 126 for states.

Agree somewhat on classifying him. Any of the past 6 years, as a true freshman he would not be starting ahead of Nico, Conaway, and some other guy. But true enough in 2018. With time in the room, he makes his own destiny, and we'll see.

I have not seen Schnupp since he started wrestling at PSU, but thought he was very small to start with and was going to need a couple of years or a good growth spurt to be able to compete.

I think you are fair with your assessment of Clabaugh, I've seen him get relatively lit up by some mid-level D1 recruits (Olsen and Wyatt Long), but only have seen him a couple of times - CV and states. Being tough on top helps, and he is bigger than Schnupp was coming out of HS so there is that.

He may or may not be a starter here. Don't know what the status of Yankovich is or how Schnupp is doing. But it will be for only one year and we are not looking at any points. At least realistically - anything can happen in terms of improvement with any of them - Schnupp, Yankovich or Clabaugh. I would say right now that Iowa should still be considered the favorite at 125 with Perez Perez. I don't think Clabaugh changes our situation at 125 any for this year.

Personally, the best thing that could happen is if George could wring 8 more pounds out of somewhere (IDK, hair, toenails, maybe get some teeth pulled). I would really like to see that and think he could be dangerous there - not AA or anything, but qualify. If Paul Glynn can do it........

Last edited:
Personally, the best thing that could happen is if George could wring 8 more pounds out of somewhere (IDK, hair, toenails, maybe get some teeth pulled). I would really like to see that and think he could be dangerous there - not AA or anything, but qualify. If Paul Glynn can do it........
Or if Jan Johnson put only 1 foot on the scale ...

Hair, all teeth (go with removables like a hockey player), one kidney, spleen, appendix. Still think we are a little short. Anybody? Am I crazy that a helium balloon could help?
A small helium balloon won't help enough. So, what you do is, take a gigantic helium balloon, then compress it into a canister that fits into your pocket as you step onto the scale! ;)

Last edited:
Hair, all teeth (go with removables like a hockey player), one kidney, spleen, appendix. Still think we are a little short. Anybody? Am I crazy that a helium balloon could help?
You don't need a gall bladder. We need a medical professional to add up all these weights and see if we're in the ballpark.;)

You don't need a gall bladder. We need a medical professional to add up all these weights and see if we're in the ballpark.;)

Yeah, but then the Surianos would just get their own medical professional to dispute that calculation, and then the B1G would just waive the need for weigh-ins at all . . . wait a minute . . .

I think Austin Clabaugh can be the starting 125 right now over schnupp...Clabaugh has a great top game and really pounded on Teasdale in the state final on top when he had the opportunity. Ultimately lost but really wrestled well against somebody that could also win AAA. I think projections of him being 5-6 in AAA are a little low. Just my humble opinion.

Chandler Olson only beat Austin Clabaugh 5-0. That's a pretty solid showing.
Ummm, still shut out by a state 5th placer.

But is that accurate? His match list says LBF 1:09.
http://www.pa-wrestling.com/hs/team...=14227&seasonid=154&schoolid=174&sublevelid=1

Regarding my projection of him at 6-8 at AAA states -- who was he gonna beat to place higher? Realistically not the top 3 (DeSanto, Lee, Anderson), and he lost (pinned or shut out) to 5 Olson. Also, coming from DeSanto's regional, he would've drawn Lee or Anderson by round 2.

Maybe he could've beaten 4 Campbell, but that's an incredibly fortunate draw to only get 1 of the other four guys all weekend.

No need to be salty. He lost 5-0 to Olson at the Carlisle tournament in 2015. The pin was an outlier and let's be honest Lee and desanto would be champs at that weight any other year. I think Anderson is overrated.

No need to be salty. He lost 5-0 to Olson at the Carlisle tournament in 2015. The pin was an outlier and let's be honest Lee and desanto would be champs at that weight any other year. I think Anderson is overrated.
Not trying to be salty, only factual and probabilistic. We can call the pin an outlier and maybe it was, but the fact is that he lost to Olson in multiple years, and (depending on the score at the time of the fall) didn't score either time. So there's little evidence showing he was likely to win a 3rd match.

Maybe he could've, and I don't mean to discount the possibility. Just seems less probable from the evidence.

And maybe he can surpass Olson in college (indirectly, because they likely won't be at the same weights).

If he's tough on top, Schnupp might not match up well against him. Give me Schnupp still.

Ummm, still shut out by a state 5th placer.

But is that accurate? His match list says LBF 1:09.
http://www.pa-wrestling.com/hs/team...=14227&seasonid=154&schoolid=174&sublevelid=1

Regarding my projection of him at 6-8 at AAA states -- who was he gonna beat to place higher? Realistically not the top 3 (DeSanto, Lee, Anderson), and he lost (pinned or shut out) to 5 Olson. Also, coming from DeSanto's regional, he would've drawn Lee or Anderson by round 2.

Maybe he could've beaten 4 Campbell, but that's an incredibly fortunate draw to only get 1 of the other four guys all weekend.

I think you are right on the mark here, in fact possibly a little generous. I don't see any reason you would have him beating Jake Campbell who has some significant wins in his career. In terms of wrestlers that are about to compete at the D1 level or will in the future over the past few years Clabaugh has faced a few of them and has lost convincingly except for:
AJ Tamburrino, 5-4 win (Tamburrino a FR, Clabaugh a SR)
Korbin Myers, 2 wins (Myers a SO, Clabaugh a SR)

Meanwhile last year lost 4-0 and 9-4 to Wyatt Long, got pinned by Olson - two kids that will wrestle D1, but not highly ranked recruits, lost to Bodee Tolbert. No significant wins except the two underclassmen above. Junior year lost to Lobeck (not a bad loss), Hankerson (who he split with) and Jack Hill (bad loss). Sophomore year got killed by Pipa and was pinned twice by Wert (same class). I'm searching for a win that says D1 success, unsuccessfully. Doesn't do freestyle, or at least not a significant tournament. May have wrestled some PAWF stuff, but I follow that and I don't remember him doing much.

Not trying to pile on the small school guys, as obviously there are some great talents there and we are the beneficiaries of more than one of them. Bermudian doesn't travel much and their schedule is not going to like some of the top teams in the state. But it's a big state and a big country out there.

Obviously he can get a lot better in are room and hate to seem like I'm knocking one of our kids, but let's be realistic about expectations here. Another kid added to the room, walking on, hope he stays in the room and contributes as Carpenter, Jan Johnson, Livingston, Vollrath, etc. have all done in the past. I'm not going to put Conaway in that group as Jordan was a pretty significant recruit despite how he got here.

Reactions: tikk10
Well guys, young Clabaugh's made the first step towards whatever the future holds...he was in the room working the stationary bike today. Best wishes to him, and all the guys. 19 days until the first official practice, 41 days till November 1, the official start to the season

Well guys, young Clabaugh's made the first step towards whatever the future holds...he was in the room working the stationary bike today. Best wishes to him, and all the guys. 19 days until the first official practice, 41 days till November 1, the official start to the season

bigger question was spyker there? No. Ok next time check the jock closet for PSU-rings. If neither are there, ask for a guy the kids call PSU champs.

Tell him the boys from WFL are looking for him.

Anderson is not overrated. He just looks like he should be.

Funny story. Most of you guys know about Escape the Rock, but I have also run the Council Rock Indian Open (youth tournament) for 8 or 9 years now with Bob Hill. Can't remember exact number - we had Darrell and his other brother Darrell come down with their Commodore 64 one year and try to run it which didn't turn out too well and Bob and I have been doing it ever since. Hopefully, I'm at the end of my tenure - tried to pass the torch unsuccessfully last year and will try again this year.

It is a pretty good youth tournament and we get kids from all over, really good kids. I don't get to see much of the early rounds but I usually get to see some of our finals which usually have some very good wrestlers in the 12 and 14 year old divisions. A few years ago this kid from NJ, Ryan Anderson, walks out onto the mat for the 100lb finals against some stud - forget his name. Pudgy little kid, roll of fat around the midsection, mop of hair hanging over his face. Looked like a youth heavy wrestling in what usually is a stacked weight class. I'm thinking "how did this kid make the finals? Must have been a weak half of a bracket. This is going to be lopsided." The other kid looks like he's 16 with muscles all over, kind of smirking as Anderson lollygags onto the mat. Three minutes later and I was right. It was lopsided. Anderson wiped the mat with him.

Finally happened, looks like Cael finally has to coach a wrestler. No PSU wrestler at Nationals at 125.

ADVERTISEMENT