ADVERTISEMENT

we continue to struggle getting pressure on QB

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
i believe going into the tOSU game we were in the lead among BIG teams for sacks. however, OSU, MSU, Rutgers and Nebraska games we have not done nearly as well. The Nebraska line has had many injuries and are playing some FR/SO backups. MSU was a rebuilt line with several new/young players, Rutgers is Rutgers = net our fall-off is not against the best competition other than tOSU.

not sure what we are doing differently but pressure is not happening sometimes even with blitzes.

i believe going into the tOSU game we were in the lead among BIG teams for sacks. however, OSU, MSU, Rutgers and Nebraska games we have not done nearly as well. The Nebraska line has had many injuries and are playing some FR/SO backups. MSU was a rebuilt line with several new/young players, Rutgers is Rutgers = net our fall-off is not against the best competition other than tOSU.

not sure what we are doing differently but pressure is not happening sometimes even with blitzes.

Look closely at the films B .... You will see it....

Buchholz?
Buchholz and Brown injuries forced younger guys into action earlier than needed. It's clear Matos, Toney, and Simmons need another year to adjust, get bigger, and stronger. Hell Matos has had to play quite a bit as a true frosh and I can only imagine what he will be like in a year or two. Call it growing pains due to the injuries. Next year what was a weakness this year could turn into a strength in a big way if they call can stay healthy. I imagine this year was an eye opener for Matos, Toney, and Simmons who were used to running by or blowing up HS OL. It's a new game and they will get bigger and better. I would imagine all 3 add some mass this off season and there should be a very athletic crop right behind them if all goes well to close out the 2018 class. It's coming, but it takes time.

Reactions: BBrown
Buchholz and Brown injuries forced younger guys into action earlier than needed. It's clear Matos, Toney, and Simmons need another year to adjust, get bigger, and stronger. Hell Matos has had to play quite a bit as a true frosh and I can only imagine what he will be like in a year or two. Call it growing pains due to the injuries. Next year what was a weakness this year could turn into a strength in a big way if they call can stay healthy. I imagine this year was an eye opener for Matos, Toney, and Simmons who were used to running by or blowing up HS OL. It's a new game and they will get bigger and better. I would imagine all 3 add some mass this off season and there should be a very athletic crop right behind them if all goes well to close out the 2018 class. It's coming, but it takes time.
I agree that the younger kids should improve. I also hope we see Brown & Buchholz back healthy. We'll need them. The concern next year is at DT, MLB, and S. I think the offense will be fine, especially if one of the TEs can step up.

I agree that the younger kids should improve. I also hope we see Brown & Buchholz back healthy. We'll need them. The concern next year is at DT, MLB, and S. I think the offense will be fine, especially if one of the TEs can step up.

Agree. I thought it was great to see Bowers get some extensive playing time, not to mention the TD.
He may not be the matchup nightmare that Mike G. is but I think he will be a more "complete" TE.

Correct...Huge drop-off at those three defensive positions, especially if Bowen is history.

Brown and Buchholz definitely had an impact on our pass rush. Also, we just are not getting the push up the middle from our DT's which I felt would be better this year.
Uuhhmm, I think the level of competition had something to do with it also when we played teams who had a stronger OL like OSU and MSU. We dominated Nebraska and took our foot off the pedal in the 4th quarter by playing mostly back-ups. Rutgers only scored 6 points against us if you remember. as we woke up finally after the 1st quarter.

Our blitz has also been ineffective. I am not sure why. We had some pretty creative blitz packages. Our OL missed guys, seems like the teams we are playing NEVER miss a guy, block or blitz.

DT will be ok as Givens will slide back there. It hasn't been incredibly dominant this year as it is so we'll have to see what Shelton, Handard, and Bolds can do along with the others still on the roster. MLB will be a mystery to be honest. Who knows what is up with Bowen? I don't see Cooper as the long term answer, but you never know. Does Brooks step in and play right away as a RS frosh? MLB for sure is a question mark as the one kid in the current group that is big enough already to play is now a ? to be in this class. Safety will be tough, but they'll find some people back there. Sutherland has gotten some praise already and Monroe is pretty athletic. Growing pains for sure, but the O could buy the time for them to grow up by putting up some points.

Uuhhmm, I think the level of competition had something to do with it also when we played teams who had a stronger OL like OSU and MSU. We dominated Nebraska and took our foot off the pedal in the 4th quarter by playing mostly back-ups. Rutgers only scored 6 points against us if you remember. as we woke up finally after the 1st quarter.

No doubt about it. As the level up competition increased, sacks decreased. But, I expected more out of Cothran, and Cothren, and company.

No doubt about it. As the level up competition increased, sacks decreased. But, I expected more out of Cothran, and Cothren, and company.
We really seem to struggle getting a push up the middle - frustrating to run blitz packages and just ending up exposing your secondary to getting picked apart.

ADVERTISEMENT