ADVERTISEMENT

We can't look pass App State!

jbenedict

Nov 28, 2017
I was doing a little research on Appalachian State. They are a very solid team and capable of creating havoc for us and others. They have a number of players on the pre -season watch list just like us. They have a player by the name of DUCK who is being considered for the Thorpe award. They also have a host of talented play makers. We can't look pass this game because they have some talent. I certainly hope our coaches are making this point with the players. I hope our boys have their head right. The most recent ESPN preseason poll has them receiving 16 votes. Pitt did not receive any so lets keep things in perspective and prepare to soundly defeat this team in week 1.

I was doing a little research on Appalachian State. They are a very solid team and capable of creating havoc for us and others. They have a number of players on the pre -season watch list just like us. They have a player by the name of DUCK who is being considered for the Thorpe award. They also have a host of talented play makers. We can't look pass this game because they have some talent. I certainly hope our coaches are making this point with the players. I hope our boys have their head right. The most recent ESPN preseason poll has them receiving 16 votes. Pitt did not receive any so lets keep things in perspective and prepare to soundly defeat this team in week 1.
No looking past anyone on this team!

I agree.. if we look pass too much, they'll fool us by running it.

Relax.. our guys will be excited to get on the field against anyone by the time September 1st rolls around. I'm hoping Appalachian State is competitive. That will help them a lot more than a game that's too easy. 4 games to work out the kinks before the real season starts.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
You're worried about Franklin not making this point? Have you been watching "Mr. 1 - 0 this week?"

It will be.a McSorley show!

App State may or may not be a solid test. We will see.

What I do predict, however, is that the talking heads like Desmond Howard with say things like "Penn State had better be ready for App State, they are going to give them all they can handle. blah blah blah". And then, when the BIG 10 season rolls around, the same guys will say "PSU hasn't played anyone".

Living in Charlotte, I know a bit about App State. It is a bigger school than one would think, very close to UNC and NC State in enrollment.
They are a solid team that will compete with anyone. They are well coached and have a bunch of players that the higher level Div. 1 teams did not recruit, and so they play with quite a chip on their shoulder. They are always in the Sun Belt conference championship hunt and have played in a number of bowl games.
This year they have a solid running back, Moore, who was great in high school but was either too small or a step to slow to get big offers. IF App State can't establish the run on us, they will not put up much of a fight. Someone above mentioned the defensive back, Duck. He was a star at Butler which is a perennial power, but he was tiny and no one recruited him. He is listed at 5'9". 170, he is not that big, but he is a player.
They are a bit unsettled at QB, which could be good for us and also lost some studs on the OL.
This is not App State's first rodeo, they will be ready. Lets hope our superior personnel jumps on them quickly. Don't want to let them hang around.

What I do predict, however, is that the talking heads like Desmond Howard with say things like "Penn State had better be ready for App State, they are going to give them all they can handle. blah blah blah". And then, when the BIG 10 season rolls around, the same guys will say "PSU hasn't played anyone".
Hell, Desmond will likely pick App State to win outright.

Reactions: bluewhiteApos

Good point and so true.

App State, App State, App State!

I certainly hope our coaches are making this point with the players. I hope our boys have their head right. The most recent ESPN preseason poll has them receiving 16 votes. Pitt did not receive any so lets keep things in perspective and prepare to soundly defeat this team in week 1.

There's no way a coaching staff that got a team to a B1G title and consecutive double-digit win seasons has the sense to stress this to our players. It's not like the head coach stresses it in weekly press conferences--after all, this staff is comprised of lazy idiots.

Or, is it the BWI/McAndrew Board that is comprised of idiots?

Congrats to @jbenedict on a weak trolling effort.

There's no way a coaching staff that got a team to a B1G title and consecutive double-digit win seasons has the sense to stress this to our players. It's not like the head coach stresses it in weekly press conferences--after all, this staff is comprised of lazy idiots.

Or, is it the BWI/McAndrew Board that is comprised of idiots?

Congrats to @jbenedict on a weak trolling effort.
PennsyOracle what would lead you too me trolling. This board has many to make unfounded accusations. The world we live in

I got a rise and didn't want to start a new thread, so I stuck it here. :rolleyes::oops:

"On Aug. 8, an individual tweeted a threat to commit a mass shooting at Beaver Stadium. University police released a statement saying there was no "immediate danger" to the Penn State community"

Police visibility to increase at Beaver Stadium during Penn State football's 2018 season
59ebc464e2c57.image.jpg

Nittanyville storms Gate A at 5:30 before the Penn State white out game against Michigan at Beaver Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017.
Penn State football's 2018 season will see an increase in police visibility at Beaver Stadium during home games.

Police officers will be positioned at each stadium entry gate, according to Penn State News. In addition, members of the Centre County Tactical Response Team will increase their presence at and around the stadium during game days.

Keith Morris, the chief of police at University Park, told Penn State News the plans to increase safety have been discussed for months and are not in response to any threats the university has received.

On Aug. 8, an individual tweeted a threat to commit a mass shooting at Beaver Stadium. University police released a statement saying there was no "immediate danger" to the Penn State community, as previously reported by The Daily Collegian.

David Gray, the senior vice president for finance and business which oversees University Police and Public Safety, told Penn State News the increase in police visibility reflects Penn State's effort to ensure game days are as safe as possible. He added that Beaver Stadium's security is under constant evaluation.

Currently, each individual who enters the stadium is subject to metal detection. Bags, purses and backpacks are not permitted in the stadium.

Last edited:
App State has a very good team and will be up for PSU. They may have a better team than Pitt, but Pitt will be flying high for our game. Especially in Heinz field.

ADVERTISEMENT