ADVERTISEMENT

WE.ARE.DOOMED!

Wow, wonder if our esteemed university realizes the miracle they have performed. I believe this is the very first thread in which all....left...right....old...young......all races.....all genders(as self declared) ......pro spread..... I back field.....wing T......under center.......fullbacks........all agree! And there is no fighting!
Our future leaders.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Man, this thread is funny. Glad I opened.

Anyway, while reviewing applications for a prestigious fellowship (in hard sciences), this was the first year I noticed nearly *everyone* include their preferred pronouns in their signature block. So, it was Jenny Smith, Ph.D., 'she/her', etc. Also the first year I heard the term 'water justice'....but, whatever - their world, just living in it.

Your parents shared this same sense of doom and gloom when you all were growing long hair, having premarital sex, and smoking pot. I wouldn't say everything turned out 'okay', but we survived. So will you (and everyone else). Stay woke!

tenor.gif

The world is all f*cked up.

The world is all f*cked up.
The internet has ruined our country and possibly the world. It has good qualities but it's used for nefarious purposes half of the time including politics on both sides. My grandfather would have laughed his ass off if I told him some douche in Russia could shut a petroleum pipe line down for a week in the US using a keyboard.

If you consider two pure PR moves akin to Bill Veeck inserting Eddie Gaedel as a pinch hitter constitutes “going coed.”
Doesn't really matter what I "think" or whether it was a PR stunt or not.
They were on the team, and kicked extra points and FG's in at least 1 game.

Doesn't really matter what I "think" or whether it was a PR stunt or not.
They were on the team, and kicked extra points and FG's in at least 1 game.
Gotcha. And the Fonz is a conductor:

Try to use your brain — college football is not now, and never will be, “coed.”

If you consider two pure PR moves akin to Bill Veeck inserting Eddie Gaedel as a pinch hitter constitutes “going coed.”
Eddie Gaedel was a midget. I know that's a bad word. The faculty senate will be coming after me. What's correct? Vertically challenged? Tall people are vertically enhanced. Fat people are horizontally enhanced.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I like it. Also, languages with gendered nouns could be in turmoil. In France what about Le Monde, for example? Get the "Le" out of there!!

I find it strange in the US the trend is to snuff out any individuality, at least when it comes to gender. We can be black and white. We can be lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer. But heaven forbid if we call ourselves a man or a woman.

Reactions: bison13

Penn State Nixes Labels Such As ‘Freshman,’ ‘Junior,’ ‘Senior,’ Citing Lack Of Gender Inclusivity​

By Chrissy Clark

May 12, 2021 DailyWire.com

Snow covers the Nittany Lion on the Penn State Berks campus. BC Last Look RNP Enterprise SNOW Photo by Harold Hoch 3/10/17
Harold Hoch/MediaNews Group/Reading Eagle via Getty Images

Pennsylvania State University’s faculty senate passed a resolution on “inclusive language” that will rid the university of alleged paternalistic labels such as “freshmen,” “junior,” “senior,” “upperclassmen,” and “underclassmen.”

The Senate Committee on Curricular Affairs passed the “Removal of Gendered & Binary Terms from Course and Program Descriptions” resolution on April 27, according to Campus Reform.

The introduction of the resolution claims that gendered language comes from living in a male-dominated society.

“The University … has grown out of a typically male-centered world. As such, many terms in our lexicon carry a strong, male-centric, binary character to them,” the resolution reads. “Terms such as ‘freshmen’ are decidedly male-specific, while terms such as ‘upperclassmen’ can be interpreted as both sexist and classist.”

Terms such as “junior” and “senior” “are parallel to western male father-son naming conventions, and much of our written documentation uses he/she pronouns,” according to the resolution.

By Benjamin Zeisloft

Another goal of the resolution is to replace gendered pronouns such as “he/him/his” and “she/her/hers” with vague pronouns such as “they/them/their” or other “non-gendered terms such as student, faculty member, staff member, etc.”

Course descriptions are the target of the proposed gendered-language change. The resolution provided an example of a proposed edit.

The original course description for a theatre class on lighting design read:

THEA 270 Introduction to Lighting Design. Introduction to Lighting Design will focus on helping each student to develop a design process that takes him or her from script to stage.

Following the passage of the resolution, the course description will now read:

THEA 270 Introduction to Lighting Design. Introduction to Lighting Design will focus on helping each student to develop a design process that takes them from script to stage.

The resolution acknowledged that in some places gendered terms are necessary, particularly in degrees or classes with an emphasis on gender studies.

“The committee recognizes that there may be places where these terms, especially gender terms, may need to remain intact, for example in the case of courses or degrees that delve into gender studies,” the resolution reads.

A course description for a “gender and theatre” class would be allowed to include words such as “women’s” and “feminist.” The description would read:

THEA 207 Gender and Theatre. Theatre 207 provides a basic survey of issues of representations of gender identity in theatre. The course will trace women’s experiences in theatre from their absence on European classical stages to the more recent formation of feminist theatres.

The resolution will also replace the terms “freshman/sophomore/junior/senior” with the terms first-year, second-year, third-year, fourth-year, and beyond.

Concerns were raised by staff members that numbering years beyond fourth would “perhaps negatively reflect on students who, for various reasons, are taking longer to complete their (typically) four-year programs.”

The resolution suggests that instead of being called “fifth-year” students or “super-seniors,” students should be referred to as “advanced standing students.”

Terms such as “underclassmen” and “upperclassmen” were also switched to “lower division” and “upper division.”

The resolution was signed by 26 professors and administrators.

Penn State is among many universities that pushed to remove gendered language from instructional and promotional materials. According to Campus Reform, the University of Virginia approved a student ballot measure that would remove “gendered pronouns” from the student government’s constitution.

Nearly 89 percent of students who voted in the election approved of the update

• Haha
Reactions: GoGoBanana
Will they ban anyone from enrolling who has Junior or Senior in their name?

Will job titles be changed to not include junior or senior status?

Will they fail anyone who mentions "sophomoric behavior?"

Is the Verve Pipe banned from being played since they had a song called Freshmen?

Sounds like a bunch of people in this thread need a safe space to get over the trauma of this decision.

Reactions: psuro
Sounds like a bunch of people in this thread need a safe space to get over the trauma of this decision.
If you can read most aren’t traumatized they are more mystified at the stupidity of our society these says - lots of terrible things going on - wars all over the place and this is the focus of our esteemed university - I would think providing a valuable education would be of higher importance or at least getting kids back into classrooms.

Until you have an art exhibit at The Barron Palace you haven't qualified...
LOL...I worked at a place where a handful of people had photos of themselves sitting on backhoes and bulldozers. After several months, I was remote, I finally asked someone why people had these photos. As it turns out, the owner had a big ranch in TX. You can get property tax abatements if you build watersheds on your ranch. So the CEO would invite inner circle people to his ranch to help dig lakes from time to time. If you were invited, it put you into the elite circle of employees. So people would have these photos taken, get them framed and put them in their offices "just to let you know".

To be clear, I was never invited and left shortly thereafter.

Hmmm, alumnus/alumna have genders so a neutral term is needed. Alumnoid? I would think that you're safe to be one of the Penn State Alumni though.

The whole word has apparently always been far too complicated. People would struggle with the singular vs. plural forms (i.e., “I’m an alumni”) and the gender specificity (forgetting to use “-a/-ae” instead of “-us/-i” when appropriate.

Now we have to worry about the sensitivity of the terms not being gender neutral.

From here on out, let’s just be “grad-joo-its” or something…

Reactions: bison13
Sorry Bob, but we are actually doomed.
Describing students as Juniors and Seniors is part of the patriarchy and must be purged

This nonsense goes on in many places, not just PSU. As a retired teacher/college instructor I would suggest that all members of academia be required to spend 5 years in the real world before teaching. Do that and much of this BS would end.

LOL...I worked at a place where a handful of people had photos of themselves sitting on backhoes and bulldozers. After several months, I was remote, I finally asked someone why people had these photos. As it turns out, the owner had a big ranch in TX. You can get property tax abatements if you build watersheds on your ranch. So the CEO would invite inner circle people to his ranch to help dig lakes from time to time. If you were invited, it put you into the elite circle of employees. So people would have these photos taken, get them framed and put them in their offices "just to let you know".

To be clear, I was never invited and left shortly thereafter.
So you saying you don’t have the right heavy equipment?

This nonsense goes on in many places, not just PSU. As a retired teacher/college instructor I would suggest that all members of academia be required to spend 5 years in the real world before teaching. Do that and much of this BS would end.
Then make them work outside one of every five years thereafter. Plus, everyone....I mean everyone......should run their own business for at least three years. That would make everyone better employees, better customers, better voters.

ADVERTISEMENT