ADVERTISEMENT

WE ARE: Cael's First Decade Ep. 2

Thanks for the update as I, like many others, was wondering when it would be released. After viewing, IMO, episode 2 is even worse than episode 1. Too much time spent covering negative events and limited coverage of more deserving success stories. The entire documentary seems misguided, or maybe I just feel misled based on the title. I expected better reporting on the team (megaludis, molinaro, Lawson?) with more coverage of the campus/town during this time of dominance. Overall production is solid but substance is significantly lacking in this series.

Cool to watch old footage, but without current interviews, kind of meh as Roar would say
I do not remember where it was (Instagram or twitter) this morning but someone had said they wanted more interviews by people other than the Flo guys and Mark Hall replied saying something to the extent that either no one from Penn St. agreed to take part in it OR didn't even know they were doing it.

They're going to have to jam the entire 2nd half of PSU's 2011-2019 dynasty into 30 minutes somehow.

I got DT and Ruth were the main players for the first dynasty but disappointed the following weren't covered that much:
1. Nico made the finals as a freshman as a 10 seed
2. Q upset Kilgore to seal the 2013 title
3. JE's AA run (with career ending injuries basically) gave PSU the cushion they needed for Saturday night

It’s not doing much for me. Could’ve been a special thing but I think they’ve missed this far.

They're going to have to jam the entire 2nd half of PSU's 2011-2019 dynasty into 30 minutes somehow.

I got DT and Ruth were the main players for the first dynasty but disappointed the following weren't covered that much:
1. Nico made the finals as a freshman as a 10 seed
2. Q upset Kilgore to seal the 2013 title
3. JE's AA run (with career ending injuries basically) gave PSU the cushion they needed for Saturday night
feel like an 'obligatory' film since they do other features on programs and individuals. However, if PSU isn't entertaining access, then we get what it is. But yea, a better overall view and clips could very well be expected as everyone noted. But it is going to be hard to get Cael to brag!

I agree with most of the comments thus far. It's a disappointing effort. Mostly just rehashes old news rather than opening up novel perspectives or sharing relatively unknown footage and angles. It might be of interest to new wrestling supporters or those who haven't been paying attention over the last decade. Why not interview some of the guys now and include wrestlers who contributed but did not get a ton of attention? Speak with the fans, opposing wrestlers, and coaches more.

I think Part III should start with the "You got a plan or something?" Interview

Thanks for the update as I, like many others, was wondering when it would be released. After viewing, IMO, episode 2 is even worse than episode 1. Too much time spent covering negative events and limited coverage of more deserving success stories. The entire documentary seems misguided, or maybe I just feel misled based on the title. I expected better reporting on the team (megaludis, molinaro, Lawson?) with more coverage of the campus/town during this time of dominance. Overall production is solid but substance is significantly lacking in this series.
I was disappointed in Ep 1 too. It was as if David Jones produced it, fairly negative contra-Penn St. Almost felt it was a Bubba Jenkins documentary

Reactions: PASLP2 and pish69
I was hoping for more dodgeball. Or, even SOME dodgeball.

Who would make the Penn State Wrestling all-decade dodgeball team? Would it be a familiar name, or are there some non-starters who are just wizards with a volleyball? Someone whose true calling is not ankle picks, but dodging and diving?

I don't get all of the Flo bashing here. They don't have the budget or talent to create a Last Dance type of documentary. They are doing essentially 3 30 or so minute segments and they can't focus on everything that happened in the last decade. Are they Emmy quality, no, but I have enjoyed them anyway and am really glad we have Flo to provide wrestling content. What we pay for a subscription annually is minimal compared to the content available.

I don't get all of the Flo bashing here. They don't have the budget or talent to create a Last Dance type of documentary. They are doing essentially 3 30 or so minute segments and they can't focus on everything that happened in the last decade. Are they Emmy quality, no, but I have enjoyed them anyway and am really glad we have Flo to provide wrestling content. What we pay for a subscription annually is minimal compared to the content available.

No, bad media business model to put out crap product and say the customer should be satiated by it b/c it was cheap.

BTW- Flo’s a lot more than I pay for cable (for effectively 1 channel).

Rightside your business to put out good product, lose the Stanford MBA Pvt Eqty VPs’ salaries, or get properly funded so you don’t served Chipped Beef and call it filet mignon.

Reactions: PASLP2
Maybe because people pay Flo real money. I mean, I get that they're a low budget outfit and wrestling is a niche sport, but it's entirely fair to hold them to a quality standard above a Youtube highlight compilation, especially since they aspire to be wrestling's leading content provider.

Objectively speaking this series isn't great but Flo likely has some defenses as to why. For instance, it's at least nominally about Cael, but Cael clearly doesn't want to participate. Cael evidently doesn't think much of Flo, for whatever reason, but then Cael is reticent with most media. And his wrestlers tend to follow Cael's lead and aren't especially forthcoming with the sort of details that guys like Tom Brands and Tom Ryan offer.

If your documentary subject won't talk, producers need to bridge that gap by speaking to the people who are and/or were around the subject, in this case, over the last ten years. But we don't have that here, we have the Flo guys interviewing themselves as 60 Minutes might interview an expert, which is just weird.

I could be wrong but I find it hard to believe that no one who graduated was willing to be interviewed. But even if that's the case, tell us as much, because Cael's decision to be cagey with the media and his sway over his wrestlers is a key part of his mystique.

Another valid criticism is that it's, again, nominally about Cael but seems to be less about Cael than about the Penn State program over the past ten years. So why not just call it that instead.

Also agree with others that the focus on Bubba and Andrew Long seemed disproportionate to the actual impact they had on the program. But I disagree that they didn't deserve mention at all; facts are facts. But the longer you dwell on Bubba Jenkins, the more you're implicitly conceding that this isn't really a documentary about Cael.

The documentary pretends to be a bunch of disinterested experts analyzing Cael's career, except that they're the makers of the documentary. The project would be truer to itself if the Flo guys were all sitting at a table together watching clips and commenting on them, maybe finding things to intelligently argue about.

But whatever, I'll watch because what else is on. But it feels like a lost opportunity, and yes, that's not entirely on Flo.

I just finished watching episode 2. I agree with many of the above comments. What I enjoyed about episode 2 was the interviews Ed Ruth gave, cool as a cucumber and he enjoyed the sport with putting little pressure on himself it seemed. Then to watch again how strong he was at some of those takedowns to complete the finish and how quick he slapped on his cradle was fun to watch.

Reactions: Fatmarc
I just finished watching episode 2. I agree with many of the above comments. What I enjoyed about episode 2 was the interviews Ed Ruth gave, cool as a cucumber and he enjoyed the sport with putting little pressure on himself it seemed. Then to watch again how strong he was at some of those takedowns to complete the finish and how quick he slapped on his cradle was fun to watch.
Every bit the career of David, and half of the greatest wrestling duo to that point in history, for two guys that were on the same team all four years.

I remember talking with Casey in 2009, about November/ December of Ed's RS season, and he said to watch out for Ed Ruth, he's something really special. Remember, it was a time with a lot of focus on DT, but those in the room saw a second superstar in the making.

I enjoyed the 2nd episode more than the 1st. It's tough to fit all the story lines into a 40 minute segment, so here's a few successes from 2011 through 2014 that had minimal to no mention;
-- Molinaro was a 2-time finalist, 2011 and 2012
-- D. Alton finished 3rd in 2012
-- Q, after winning it all in 2011, which was covered in the 2nd episode, then finished 2nd (2012), and 1st (2013)
-- Megaludis finished 2nd (2012), 2nd (2013), and 3rd (2014)
-- Brown finished 2nd (2013) and 5th (2014)
-- McIntosh finished 7th (2014)
-- Retherford finished 5th (2014)
-- And among my favorite stories, English finished 7th (2014)

I mention this because, while the press mostly went the way of David and Ed, the supporting cast was every bit the reason these four teams won championships.

It's Obvious Ed Ruth interviews are the Best part of this documentary so far!! I am Happy to watch, in the same way I am just happy they made a very bad sequel to a movie I loved and it sucked. i know some would rather the sequel not be made, I appreciate the attempt as failure is better than not even trying!!!

But, I love Flo...And this is very disappointing. The Terry Brands/Kolat productions were far Superior. This is the same level as a student putting together a documentary for their college class. I also Echo to much time on Bubba/Long/Dake loss (though very legitimate)...nothing on Mega? Lawson? Overcoming Alton injuries?? ETC

Lastly, Most of us have a lot more free COVID Time...think about everything they would have to do if wrestling was actually happening. They should have more resources to focus on this...at least Time wise???

I still Love you Flo for what you provide to the wrestling fan!!!

Reactions: PASLP2
Like I said originally this should of been an espn 30 for 30 or something done by espn. Flo is meh at best

Enjoyed watching the 2nd ep just now. At least they gave Q a little screen time. But Nico? Molinaro? I mean shoot--I don't think it's too much to ask to show some Conaway? English? MacIntosh? I love DT and Ed, so it was cool to see them get the proper props--but even a montage of these other guys would soothe. They'll probably introduce ep 3 w/ Zain--but his freshman year didn't even get a sniff. I guess they probably don't own a lot of footage, but still.

Enjoyed watching the 2nd ep just now. At least they gave Q a little screen time. But Nico? Molinaro? I mean shoot--I don't think it's too much to ask to show some Conaway? English? MacIntosh? I love DT and Ed, so it was cool to see them get the proper props--but even a montage of these other guys would soothe. They'll probably introduce ep 3 w/ Zain--but his freshman year didn't even get a sniff. I guess they probably don't own a lot of footage, but still.
Helps when i read The thread first. @RoarLions1 beat me in substance and speed.

What I don't get is that they mentioned Andrew Long and Andrew Alton in the first episode so they felt like they needed to acknowledge the supporting cast but then didn't mention Nico, Frank or Matt in the second one. I realize I'm repeating what has been said by others.

A powerful point to make about the 2012 team though is that Matt Brown, a future 3 time AA and NC, might have been the 2nd best 174 in the country and couldn't make the team, but yet no mention.

What I don't get is that they mentioned Andrew Long and Andrew Alton in the first episode so they felt like they needed to acknowledge the supporting cast but then didn't mention Nico, Frank or Matt in the second one. I realize I'm repeating what has been said by others.

A powerful point to make about the 2012 team though is that Matt Brown, a future 3 time AA and NC, might have been the 2nd best 174 in the country and couldn't make the team, but yet no mention.
Nico and crew must be in part 3

Hope they throw in a reference to the ‘.... just wait until Taylor and Ruth graduate...’ line that our HR friends made famous. That would be gold!

Reactions: danoftw
Nico and crew must be in part 3
The "crew" that will be the focus of episode 3, my guess, are Zain, Jason, Bo, Hall & Cenzo. I do hope to see the other AA's get their mention, but more importantly ... the program (the Coaches and what they've built) should be the story -- that there are tough wrestlers at all weights. Here's a few pre-highlights, highly doubt all are mentioned;
-- Cenzo wins 2x, both against a consensus favorite, and was a 3x finalist.
-- Hall won against another wunderkind, and was a 3x finalist.
-- Jason and Bo, 'nuff said, special stuff.
-- Zain won 3x, and was a 2x Hodge Winner.
-- Megaludis, Nevills, McIntosh, Conaway, Rasheed, Lawson & RBY all were instrumental in the 5-years, 2015-2019.
-- N. Lee and Cassar are great stories.

In the age of venture capitalists...they wanted content and clicks....both episodes had nothing that kolat, Terry, dake and Dt among others.....had.

Flo is good at the documentary game. This is not good work at the standards they set. I would hope the clicks and view reflect that..so the bean counters get it.

If you cant get the featured people to talk to you ....why do it?

Reactions: crablegs1
The "crew" that will be the focus of episode 3, my guess, are Zain, Jason, Bo, Hall & Cenzo. I do hope to see the other AA's get their mention, but more importantly ... the program (the Coaches and what they've built) should be the story -- that there are tough wrestlers at all weights. Here's a few pre-highlights, highly doubt all are mentioned;
-- Cenzo wins 2x, both against a consensus favorite, and was a 3x finalist.
-- Hall won against another wunderkind, and was a 3x finalist.
-- Jason and Bo, 'nuff said, special stuff.
-- Zain won 3x, and was a 2x Hodge Winner.
-- Megaludis, Nevills, McIntosh, Conaway, Rasheed, Lawson & RBY all were instrumental in the 5-years, 2015-2019.
-- N. Lee and Cassar are great stories.

Lawson???

I think Conway and Brown had key match-ups and wins. The couple of times Matt wrestled up a weight or two. The way he liked to paint his opponents neck pink is worthy of a mention!

Reactions: Dogwelder
Anyone know when episode 3 will be aired? I went on Flo and it's still the sneak peak and I couldn't find any info about the next airing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT