ADVERTISEMENT

We Are better 6/21 - Tyler Johnson

...but even in a 4-5 season, Dotson developed even more, Parker Washington (a freshman) had a breakout season and Lambert-Smith, who was in the same class as Meiga and Black, played a significant # of snaps...so putting aside any general discussions about player development, not sure why fellow first-year WR's Meiga and Black are more relevant than Washington and Lambert-Smith...
The way I see it, Washington and Lambert were on our radar early and we recruited them pretty heavily. Seems Meiga and Black came to a camp and scored well. The coaches themselves by their actions told us the other two were more relevant.

Does anyone know the last player that we pretty much found out about at a camp that had a good career? Is there a recent one?

seems like every other team had covid filled years. Why are the Penn state guys immune from not developing. Kind of why 4-5 is ok as well.
Meiga came directly from Canadian HS football which has different rules from U.S. high school football (i.e., WRs are on the move in a forward sense before the snap), larger fields in Canada. Ability to get off coverage and into your pattern is easier in Canada. He had to learn these nuances before he could be placed into live action. I expect we will see him some this year in the 2-deep. Neither him or Black were ready or needed last season. Let's see what happens this season.

Last edited:
...not to mention that Franklin has CONSISTENTLY identified talents such as Fields long before others...Fields is actually a good example because PSU didn't even end up with him...but CJF's evaluation was nevertheless proven correct.

Edit: Kaden Saunders is a more recent example of a recruit that CJF's staff prioritized very early as compared with other prominent programs.

Also, the fact that the Tyler Johnson commitment was taken so early in the process indicates a greater level of coaching staff confidence in the prospect, not less. If it was last minute just to fill a spot, such scrutiny may be better justified.

Yep, I also believe that CJF getting a high percentage of the recruits he offered early in the process is a positive for any of his recruiting classes. But there will always be misses as some positions such as OL are more developmental than a WR such as Sander that can just flat out make DB's look silly combined with exceptional ball skills.

This is a unique recruiting year, with the condensed June camps representing a very limited and valuable evaluation tool for all college coaches. When CJF and his staff see a player work out and then go all in on that player this year, to me that is as if that player would have been one of his original offers, say a year ago, if CJF had had the information that he might have had in past recruiting cycles.

;)

Last edited:
That article also contains a reference to Drew Allar, who is yet another example of a recruit whose high ceiling was seemingly identified by CJF's staff earlier than many other schools & recruiting services.

This. Even though a bunch of camps have started the rankings are still currently trash. The rankers also have to deal with the reactions of recruits, coaches, and worst of all parents. That means they can't take some of the guys who were originally 5 stars because at 14 they were 6-5 220 and projected to be all pro left tackles (hypothetically of course) or a guy that suffered 2 ACL tears before he was 17 (also hypothetical) and just make them a 3*. They have to slowly move other guys up over them and without many of the teams have high school seasons or the ones that did not allowing fans those casual corrections haven't happened. I expect the rankings will be totally different in December otherwise just trust the offers.

In Johnson's case, he hasn't gone out to get those offers because he wanted one here. The same people complaining now are the ones that would be bashing him if he went out and tested for Bama, UGA, or OSU to get those offers.
dominate the state.......

That article also contains a reference to Drew Allar, who is yet another example of a recruit whose high ceiling was seemingly identified by CJF's staff earlier than many other schools & recruiting services.
Did Allar have offers from Campbell and Charlotte?

Right on cue they roll out every diamond in the rough ever known to defend a pick that leaves everyone else scratching their heads.
Campbell, Charlotte, Liberty, and Vandy, lol.
Really - how did Jawan Johnson and Justin Shorter pan out? Great talents yet struggled to hang on to the ball. I'm willing to ride with the coaching staff on this offer.

So if you don’t love a recruit, you get shouted down? What a bunch of pussies on this forum. Ad hominem attacks galore -
I am going to start creating new accounts through proxy servers just to troll you assholes going forward. It’s too much fun and this board has become too shitty to warrant real posts.

Really - how did Jawan Johnson and Justin Shorter pan out? Great talents yet struggled to hang on to the ball. I'm willing to ride with the coaching staff on this offer.

So you're "willing to ride with the coaching staff" that recruited Juwan Johnson and Justin Shorter? Okay.

Reactions: fkkkjm
So if you don’t love a recruit, you get shouted down? What a bunch of pussies on this forum. Ad hominem attacks galore -
I am going to start creating new accounts through proxy servers just to troll you assholes going forward. It’s too much fun and this board has become too shitty to warrant real posts.

Oh, man up. You don't seem like the kind of guy who needs a safe space. 🤓

Reactions: fkkkjm
Shorter is the #3 receiver at Florida. They had a much better team than psu.

Some here seem to have gotten their recruiting analysis degree from Campbell. As in tomato soup!!

:oops:
Drew Allar is just Slightly better than some kid who has offers from Charlotte, Campbell, and Vanderbilt. I think you protest a little too much. Every staff has head scratchers and this is one of those.

WHY DON’T YOU LIKE THE RECRUIT? Because of his ranking or because you evaluated him? You’re being shouted down because you don’t understand context or have actual football opinions. I.e. you’re an idiot.

WHY DON’T YOU LIKE THE RECRUIT? Because of his ranking or because you evaluated him? You’re being shouted down because you don’t understand context or have actual football opinions. I.e. you’re an idiot.
You’re not very smart. You have no more info than I do, yet I’m the idiot? Agree to disagree without being a little ****?

Zero stars. Division 1aa offer sheet. That's why he doesn't like the offer. And it's the offer, not the actual kid.

Drew Allar is just Slightly better than some kid who has offers from Charlotte, Campbell, and Vanderbilt. I think you protest a little too much. Every staff has head scratchers and this is one of those.
As has been explained, the process that CJF used to evaluate this kid eliminates the "head scratching" of those that have followed recruiting as well as how the 2022 recruiting cycle has played out amid Covid. The only real head scratching is aligned with those that can't figure that out.

Allar has nothing to do with the journey this recruit made to PSU, as the staff identified him pretty early and he was and still is sought after by a number of top 20 programs.

I'm not protesting. Just pointing out the inability of some to understand how this young man was recruited by Franklin and his staff. It doesn't matter to me that some here don't comprehend why this young man's offer was extended, but if they used their thinking caps, neither of us would have responded to each other.......... :oops:

As has been explained, the process that CJF used to evaluate this kid eliminates the "head scratching" of those that have followed recruiting as well as how the 2022 recruiting cycle has played out amid Covid. The only real head scratching is aligned with those that can't figure that out.

Allar has nothing to do with the journey this recruit made to PSU, as the staff identified him pretty early and he was and still is sought after by a number of top 20 programs.

I'm not protesting. Just pointing out the inability of some to understand how this young man was recruited by Franklin and his staff. It doesn't matter to me that some here don't comprehend why this young man's offer was extended, but if they used their thinking caps, neither of us would have responded to each other.......... :oops:
Bad offer —- next!!!!

You’re not very smart. You have no more info than I do, yet I’m the idiot? Agree to disagree without being a little ****?
Sure about that?

I at least watched his film and read his testing results.

Zero stars. Division 1aa offer sheet. That's why he doesn't like the offer. And it's the offer, not the actual kid.
Context, you ignoramus. No fall season. No camps. Hasn’t worked out for many staffs. 4.47, 4.18.

As I said earlier in the thread I have no problem with the offer. But for those that do, what happens in a couple weeks when the recruiting services get around to re-ranking everyone? What if he becomes a high 3 or 4 star?

Reactions: Shadow99 and bmw199
As I said earlier in the thread I have no problem with the offer. But for those that do, what happens in a couple weeks when the recruiting services get around to re-ranking everyone? What if he becomes a high 3 or 4 star?
Who cares? Franklin and his staff believe he is a 4 star talent, or they would not have given him a committable offer this early in the 2022 recruiting cycle.

Who cares? Franklin and his staff believe he is a 4 star talent, or they would not have given him a committable offer this early in the 2022 recruiting cycle.
I don't think you get the point of my post it's obvious that most of the people thinking it's a bad offer for people who only look at stars or offer sheets. So if he eventually gets those offers and the star ratings I want to know what they will say about it.

tenor.gif

A few things I noticed from his tape.
- opposing defenses were giving him a very big cushion, which usually means he gets open easily.
- he seemed to be able to do a lot after the catch.
- he appears to have good speed.
He could be a guy who was somewhat overlooked.

Reactions: bmw199
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT