ADVERTISEMENT

We Are better 6/21 - Tyler Johnson

8a3621f4e382630d4885ca9a854644571f3ca925.gifv

He must have really blown them away on this past workout and visit. Good for Tyler. If the coaches see them work up close and immediately go all in then you know he's for real. Late riser it seems and the recruiting rankings aren't going to capture what he brings. Welcome Tyler!

Reactions: brupsu and SR108
I'm never saw a team play on hay before 🤣 ( his 247 video) anyway he looks like he has good speed, not sure of the level of competition, but he's pulling away in most of his plays.

Reactions: brupsu and TheGLOV
Yes, but is he 107% committed?

2021 Recruiting Social Media Announcement/Signing Timeline

1. Make Top 20 List of Schools (get an edit)
  2. Make announcement about upcoming announcement ('Big News on Saturday!')
  3. Use 'big announcement' to cut schools to Top 12 (or whatever)
  4. Start going on visits; post pics of visits looking contemplative, in prayer, with coaches, etc.
  5. Make announcement about upcoming announcement
  6. Use this announcement to trim list to final schools (4-8)
  7. Make announcement about future announcement
  8. Announce for a school
  9. Go on subsequent visits
  10. Tweet about re-opening recruitment (with that being said -> respect my decision) or Re-Commit to school you are already committed to (107%, whatever)
  11. Take more visits
  12. Make final announcement (if school still has room)

BOLD: Point at which people quit caring about this nonsense.

Welcome to the family, Mr. Johnson!

So that's WR #4 -- if we're including Flowers as a WR, right? Do we know for certain that Flowers is recruited as a WR or a safety?

Reactions: TheGLOV

4. Start going on visits; post pics of visits looking contemplative, in prayer, with coaches, etc.
  8. Announce for a school
  10. Tweet about re-opening recruitment (with that being said -> respect my decision) or Re-Commit to school you are already committed to (107%, whatever)
  11. Take more visits

And frankly, it's all getting quite old and tiresome.

Taking a commitment from a guy with an FCS offer sheet in June? Next person who makes fun of Pitt’s recruiting should be punched in the face.
I believe he recently got offers from UVA, VT, Wake, Syracuse, etc.

By no means the elite, but it's not accurate to say he only had FCS offers. My guess is that when the ranking updates occur, he'll probably show up somewhere in the 500-800 range.

8. Announce for a school
  11. Take more visits

Hey Midnighter,

Good list, but I would change it as follows:
Also, that phrase on the shirt of your gal is about the only French phrase I can remember since my days in 7th grade French class.

Carry on.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I believe he recently got offers from UVA, VT, Wake, Syracuse, etc.

By no means the elite, but it's not accurate to say he only had FCS offers. My guess is that when the ranking updates occur, he'll probably show up somewhere in the 500-800 range.
Agreed...and especially coming out of a recruiting year post COVID, we have to trust the coaches know what they are doing with regard to talent evaluation. We've had lots of great kids go through PSU that were lightly recruited by other teams.

Hey Midnighter,

Good list, but I would change it as follows:
Also, that phrase on the shirt of your gal is about the only French phrase I can remember since my days in 7th grade French class.

Carry on.

LOL.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Agreed...and especially coming out of a recruiting year post COVID, we have to trust the coaches know what they are doing with regard to talent evaluation. We've had lots of great kids go through PSU that were lightly recruited by other teams.

Yep. Minnesota's Tyler Johnson -- who is making a dollar or two with the TB Bucs -- was ranked in the mid-500s.

Daesean Hamilton ranked in the 400s. Heck, Chris Olave -- arguably the best WR in CFB this upcoming season -- was ranked ~400 without a lot of big offers.

Rankings are useful, but staff evaluations -- more so than ever this year -- are a key piece of the puzzle. It'll be interesting to see if Johnson picks up other P5 offers as his senior season progresses.

Yep. Minnesota's Tyler Johnson -- who is making a dollar or two with the TB Bucs -- was ranked in the mid-500s.

Daesean Hamilton ranked in the 400s. Heck, Chris Olave -- arguably the best WR in CFB this upcoming season -- was ranked ~400 without a lot of big offers.

Rankings are useful, but staff evaluations -- more so than ever this year -- are a key piece of the puzzle. It'll be interesting to see if Johnson picks up other P5 offers as his senior season progresses.
Right on cue they roll out every diamond in the rough ever known to defend a pick that leaves everyone else scratching their heads.
Campbell, Charlotte, Liberty, and Vandy, lol.

And even more lightly recruited who never break the 2-deep and quietly transfer. Come on Obli. There are a lot more Kasey Gaines than Kevin Givens once you get down to the guys who are lower rated. 3 stars. Trust the staff taking fliers this early? Hard pass.

Right on cue they roll out every diamond in the rough ever known to defend a pick that leaves everyone else scratching their heads.
Can you post your scouting report? Thanks in advance.

And what you're doing is a deliberate case of confirmation bias -- selecting only the offers that confirm your opinion (or more accurately, allow you to bitch like a little girl) while discarding more recent data on offers from ACC and Big Ten schools.

Do better next time.

And even more lightly recruited who never break the 2-deep and quietly transfer. Come on Obli. There are a lot more Kasey Gaines than Kevin Givens once you get down to the guys who are lower rated. 3 stars. Trust the staff taking fliers this early? Hard pass.
agreed...and you and I have no clue how this kid will turn out...staff doesn't either. but they think he has the ingredients or they wouldn't have offered him in a class where we don't have the need at this position.

Welcome to the family, Mr. Johnson!

So that's WR #4 -- if we're including Flowers as a WR, right? Do we know for certain that Flowers is recruited as a WR or a safety?
Last I saw...it's believed he'll be given a shot at WR. Which is where he wants to play.

I believe we offered a lightly recruited kid several years ago that worked out well. His name was John Cameron Urschel

Guess this PSU WR.....here's his offer sheet:

SCHOOLPROSPECT'S
INTEREST
RECRUITED BYVISITS TO
SCHOOL
SCHOOL OFFER
ppb.png

Penn State
COMMITTED
(11/30/10)
Ron Vanderlinden
NONE
BuffaloBulls.png

Buffalo
NONE
NONE
mmn.png

Minnesota
NONE
NONE
Toledo-300.png

Toledo
NONE
NONE

At this point the class is not full so if they want to offer this kid then go right ahead. 2 years from now the recruiting class will probably be left with about 60% who originally signed, that's just the way college football is these days. Maybe they feel this is the kind of kid that won't worry about immediate playing time and will be able to develop over a couple years into what they want

Last edited:
Can you post your scouting report? Thanks in advance.

And what you're doing is a deliberate case of confirmation bias -- selecting only the offers that confirm your opinion (or more accurately, allow you to bitch like a little girl) while discarding more recent data on offers from ACC and Big Ten schools.

Do better next time.
Do better next time. That sounds about right for this class.

At this point the class is not full so if they want to offer this kid then go right ahead. 2 years from now the recruiting class will probably be left with about 60% who originally signed, that's just the way college football is these days. Maybe they feel this is the kind of kid that don't worry about the mediate playing time and will be able to develop over a couple years into what they want

Exactly.

Bitching like a toddler because we use one scholarship on a flyer is pretty stupid in the grand scheme of things.

There are valid reasons for concern re: our recruiting. But taking a kid like Johnson is not among them.

Reactions: LionJim
And right on cue guys like you diss a recruit because he isn’t ranked highly but the “experts” and wasn’t offered by so and so.

Allen Robinson

tenor.gif

I don't care much about recruit rankings or recruiting in general anymore, but you could make a case some of the most productive/successful Penn Staters ever were relatively low ranked recruits (Paul Posluszny, Allen Robinson, Trace McSorley, DaeSean Hamilton, Daryll Clark, Sean Lee, D'Anton Lynn, Adrian Amos, Kyle Carter, Austin Johnson, Jesse James, Brandon Bell). There have been a ton of Brandon Ware's too though.

That maybe the problem, to many of these types.

8. Announce for a school
  11. Take more visits

What will the drama look like when recruits are pitting schools against each other with tweets saying show me the money?

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
What will the drama look like when recruits are pitting schools against each other with tweets saying show me the money?

One of these guys flipped from Auburn to Alabama. The other two are his friends. To answer your question, it'll look like this, only more of it, and without apologies.

Plot twist: Said player, and this is his name I sh*t you not - Dee Liner (and he played - wait for it - DL) - was 'released' by Bama after two years on the team. Money probably not well spent.

dee-liner-image.jpg

Reactions: ChiTownLion
ADVERTISEMENT