ADVERTISEMENT

We’re on to Nova

They thumped Bucknell and Lehigh…tight one against Richmond….we better not overlook them.

Reactions: mjrino
They thumped Bucknell and Lehigh…tight one against Richmond….we better not overlook them.
Well, Lehigh has been outscored 110 - 6 this year so probably shouldn't be used as a measuring stick.

'Nova ranked 9th - better not sleep on them or could end up with the L.

how did we even schedule them?

I seriously did not know they even had a football program until a few years ago.

Reactions: psu00
These games should be outlawed. No one wins but the Nova bank account and they won’t play us in BB. Come on Sandy... you can do better than that.
Yeah we should have asked for a game in basketball, at least, in exchange for this. This seems to basically be a net benefit to Villanova in terms of exposure and whatever payday they are getting.

Also why is it we once were able to schedule Villanova, Temple, Penn on a regular basis in basketball, but now we hardly ever see the hoops team take them on?

Well look at who Alabama and Oregon have been playing. They’ve had tough opponents but also played Mercer and Stonybrook. They all have these money games. As long as we mix teams like Auburn and Ball State into our OOC, I’m ok with the occasional supposedly easier opponent.

And we are a highly ranked FBS team, in the playoff race. No, I don't think that a top 10 FCS is a threat
They aren't going to beat us, but they are capable of making it close enough that we could drop down a couple of spots in the rankings.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I was disappointed at first with the scheduling ov Vnova, but it does give the team a little break (rest time) between the First three games and tough games following.
We need to identify one additional reliable Wide Receiver, so hopefully a game like this can help with that.

And then there is the running game, or should I say "Lack thereof"?

We need to identify one additional reliable Wide Receiver, so hopefully a game like this can help with that.

I agree, but I’m basically thinking about refreshing the DL’s , LB’s legs. The term “the legs start to get heavy” after being on the field for extended periods. I remember that phrase spoken from someone but can’t quite put my finger on whom.

I think KLS is becoming that 3rd receiver we are seeking. He was targeted several times in the 1st half, making Auburn have to be careful about doubling/cheating toward Dotson.

I don't really see much of a difference between playing a decent 1-AA school like Nova (or Delaware as we will in upcoming years) versus a mediocre MAC or Sunbelt team. A cupcake is a cupcake - and as least we should be paying less of a guarantee for the 1-AA team to.

Ironically, I've actually seen a good bit of interest in this among Villanova fans. I know they don't have a large following but people seem excited in having them play the biggest team in the state.

I don't really see much of a difference between playing a decent 1-AA school like Nova (or Delaware as we will in upcoming years) versus a mediocre MAC or Sunbelt team. A cupcake is a cupcake - and as least we should be paying less of a guarantee for the 1-AA team to.

Ironically, I've actually seen a good bit of interest in this among Villanova fans. I know they don't have a large following but people seem excited in having them play the biggest team in the state.
Yep. It’s going to be a Philly reunion of sorts with many making the trip. Noon kick and decent weather should make for another great BW like atmosphere that we have missed two yrs in a row.

Reactions: LionJim
NCAA economics 101 -- all of the major teams have to schedule 7 home games to be able to pay for all the other sports. Villanova (and Ball State) are willing to come to Happy Valley for a whoopin' and take home a hefty paycheck for their programs. Penn State gets a breather, a tune up, a chance to get the depth chart some experience, and 100,000 ticket sales and concessions for women's volleyball and men's swimming.

I think KLS is becoming that 3rd receiver we are seeking. He was targeted several times in the 1st half, making Auburn have to be careful about doubling/cheating toward Dotson.
Correct, which is why it would be great to have a 4th.

Also why is it we once were able to schedule Villanova, Temple, Penn on a regular basis in basketball, but now we hardly ever see the hoops team take them on?
Because we started signing good basketball players from Philly. Playing them only helps our exposure in Philly.

Alabama played MERCER. Who the f*ck is Mercer?
A private FCS school in Macon, GA, and a member of the Southern Conference.

Two years ago, another Southern Conference member, The Citadel, was tied with Bama at halftime and went ahead briefly in the third quarter until a field goal was nullified on a holding penalty.

Well look at who Alabama and Oregon have been playing. They’ve had tough opponents but also played Mercer and Stonybrook. They all have these money games. As long as we mix teams like Auburn and Ball State into our OOC, I’m ok with the occasional supposedly easier opponent.
There's easier and then there's easier.

I agree, but I’m basically thinking about refreshing the DL’s , LB’s legs. The term “the legs start to get heavy” after being on the field for extended periods. I remember that phrase spoken from someone but can’t quite put my finger on whom.
Anyone here remember the phrases spoken about "fresh legs" and resting the "tired, heavy legs" during a seasons run thru the schedule.
I'm sure that this is a welcomed rest for the starters.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Kind of embarrassing to play Villanova in football.
Embarrassing is the malfeasance the Old BOT brought upon this Penn State Univeristy the last ten years. Who we play this week is pretty insignificant to the final four selected for the college football something or other games. It is a game....besides, the VNova fans seem excited about comming to State College....all of you tailgaters out there, show the Nova fans a great time.
Thank You guys..... FOR THE GLORY.......of OLD STATE, FOR HER FOUNDERS, STRONG AND GREAT..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT