ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT. Hollywood's best castings of historical figures.

Sam Elliott as Brigadier General John Buford in Gettysburg
On-The-Set-Of-Gettysburg.jpg

Paul Schofield as Sir Thomas More.
Schofield won an Oscar for Best Actor in what has become my favorite movie of all time.
As an aside, this movie helped inspire me to become a lawyer.
(Clip is 52 seconds of Schofield's brilliance)

I don’t mean to derail this thread, but as a classroom teacher for 40+ years, I often used a quote from Bolt’s play in mentoring beginning teachers:

More asks Richard Rich, “ Why not be a teacher? You’d be a fine teacher ....”

Rich replied, “ if I were, who would know it?

More’s classic retort: “ You, your pupils, your friends, and God. Not a bad public, that.”

Especially early in my career, those words often carried me through some tough times.

George C Scott neither looked nor sounded like Patton, though I loved him in the role

Patton speaks at about 1:05 on this video:

Thank you for sharing this as it makes me like him even more. The way he talks reminds me of Buddy Hacket.

Are there an good biographies of Patton out there that are a good read?

Title says it all. For me top 3 in no otder

1. Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison

2. Steven Lang as T.J. Jackson

3. Robert Duvall as Robert E Lee

Robert Duvall is a distant relative of General Lee, which helped him get the part.

How about Matthew McConaughey as Wooderson? While Wooderson isn't a historical character we all grew up somewhere and there was definitely a Wooderson in that town.

David Bowie as Nikola Tesla (The Prestige), Andy Warhol (Basquiat). and Pontius Pilate (Last Temptation of Christ).

a38634777606c480dea49b3117e0cf35.jpg

bowie-warhol-blog.jpg

Paul Schofield as Sir Thomas More.
Schofield won an Oscar for Best Actor in what has become my favorite movie of all time.
As an aside, this movie helped inspire me to become a lawyer.
(Clip is 52 seconds of Schofield's brilliance)

I won't say that flick is my favorite, but it's pretty high on the list, and the clip is wonderful...a cinema classic.

Here's another great line from the movie, apropos to our own day of the plague and taken from More's trial:

Death . . . comes for us all, my lords. Yes, even for Kings he comes, to whom amidst all their Royalty and brute strength he will neither kneel nor make them any reverence nor pleasantly desire them to come forth, but roughly grasp them by the very breast and rattle them until they be stark dead! So causing their bodies to be buried in a pit and sending them to a judgment . . . whereof at their death their success is uncertain.

The message: we're all gonna die, and it ain't gonna be a pleasant experience.

So perhaps frantically trying to outwit the virus at the expense of our country's welfare is not a great idea.

Then again, that's just a thought in the spirit of Good Friday. I could be wrong.

Reactions: fairgambit
Tom Hanks as Jim Lovell.
Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong.
Shia LeBeouf as Francis Ouimet (and Stephen Dillane as Harry Vardon).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT