ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Can a grand jury subpoena (U.S. District Court) be issued via e-mail or fax?

Do you mean issued or served? I'm not a litigator, but I imagine that a subpoena likely has to be served like most any other legal process (e.g., a complaint and summons, a notice to pay rent or quit, etc.), via personal delivery if possible, and via substituted service ("nail and mail") if 2-3 good faith attempts are made at personal delivery, but without success.

Do you mean issued or served? I'm not a litigator, but I imagine that a subpoena likely has to be served like most any other legal process (e.g., a complaint and summons, a notice to pay rent or quit, etc.), via personal delivery if possible, and via substituted service ("nail and mail") if 2-3 good faith attempts are made at personal delivery, but without success.

I was asking about issuance though I have since been told that issuance via email or fax may also satisfy service. It appears to involve a tenant of ours, however just to be safe I will be abstaining from any further polls. ;).

Reactions: fairgambit
Yes....subpoenas can be issued via email or fax....absolutely. Federal agencies often send subpoenas to phone companies, internet companies, airlines, hotels, etc through email to the custodian of records for companies. Absolutely it can be done for records.

I was asking about issuance though I have since been told that issuance via email or fax may also satisfy service. It appears to involve a tenant of ours, however just to be safe I will be abstaining from any further polls. ;).

I like the self-deprication. You took a few hits on that poll, but this is a good natured response.

Nitanee: You are serving a subpoena on your tenant? I ask only because most landlord/ tenant disputes involve either non or late payment of rent, or the tenant's alleged breach of some other lease provision (committing a nuisance, committing waste, bringing in subtenants without getting the landlord's prior consent, etc.). None of those kinds of disputes tends to require a subpoena. But you do have to serve several documents on a tenant if you are seeking to evict them (in what is frequently called an "unlawful detainer" action). You have to be careful about complying fully with legal requirements for service of process (i.e., serving documents on an opposing party), or you may end up having to go back and start all over again.

Gambit can likely answer your questions if you have any. :cool:

Nitanee: You are serving a subpoena on your tenant? I ask only because most landlord/ tenant disputes involve either non or late payment of rent, or the tenant's alleged breach of some other lease provision (committing a nuisance, committing waste, bringing in subtenants without getting the landlord's prior consent, etc.). None of those kinds of disputes tends to require a subpoena. But you do have to serve several documents on a tenant if you are seeking to evict them (in what is frequently called an "unlawful detainer" action). You have to be careful about complying fully with legal requirements for service of process (i.e., serving documents on an opposing party), or you may end up having to go back and start all over again.

Gambit can likely answer your questions if you have any. :cool:

We are not serving a subpoena. We (landlord) were served a grand jury subpoena from the FBI. They requested all files and documents from last 2.5 years for all of our tenants. This is for a self storage facility. I’m guessing one of the tenants is dealing drugs and using the facility to store.

ADVERTISEMENT