ADVERTISEMENT

way before the sanctions ......

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
the PSU football program was in trouble, we had become a program that was satisfied with being OK. I am really excited for the future with Franklin (goodness I hope he can coach with talent). I made the mistake of looking at the OSU depth chart - almost all are 4 star on the 3 deep. We once were such a program. I do wonder if the sanctions, unfair that they were, forced the program to move on.

Reactions: TheWitchDoctor
the PSU football program was in trouble, we had become a program that was satisfied with being OK. I am really excited for the future with Franklin (goodness I hope he can coach with talent). I made the mistake of looking at the OSU depth chart - almost all are 4 star on the 3 deep. We once were such a program. I do wonder if the sanctions, unfair that they were, forced the program to move on.
A new coach was inevitable at some point (actually in 2012), so I wouldn't credit the sanctions. With respect to being satisfied with being OK, check out Penn State's record from 2005 through 2011 and see where it ranks. Further, if the rumors according to some well-informed posters were true, Urban Meyer was the coach in waiting for 2012. That all came tumbling down once the sanctions were imposed.

Last edited:
A new coach was inevitable at some point (actually in 2012), so I wouldn't credit the sanctions. With respect to being satisfied with being OK, check out Penn State's record from 2005 through 2011 and see where it ranks. Further, if the rumors according to some well-informed posters were true, Urban Meyer was the coach in waiting for 2012. That all came tumbling down once the sanctions were imposed.

The situation surrounding all of that aside, I wonder if people would rather have Meyer as our coach or Franklin? I think I'd still prefer Franklin.

Reactions: fairgambit
The situation surrounding all of that aside, I wonder if people would rather have Meyer as our coach or Franklin? I think I'd still prefer Franklin.
Absolutely. Point was that the sanctions did nothing to turn Penn State football around.

I don't know if Franklin is a better coach, but I think he's a better man, so I agree.

Can you remind me what our record was in 2011 before the program had the rug pulled out from under it?

Can you remind me what our record was in 2011 before the program had the rug pulled out from under it?
Well they had list to the only team they played with a pulse to that point. The best team they had beaten to that point was Temple. The fact they 8-1 was not a big deal.

Well they had list to the only team they played with a pulse to that point. The best team they had beaten to that point was Temple. The fact they 8-1 was not a big deal.
You are right. 8-1 is never a big deal

You are right. 8-1 is never a big deal
Not when the meat of the schedule is at the end. There was not a team they beat that Penn Stats was not a 14 point favorite. They were a bunch of terrible teams.

Again, JVP haters, I ask you where did Penn State rank in record from 2005-2011? Why are you avoiding this question?

In 2011, Penn State beat five teams ranked in the AP top 25.
What in the world are you talking about? Which one of these teams were ranked? There weren't even 5 wins over FBS teams with winning records. Temple was the only team who they beat that won more than 7 games.

Unranked Indiana State 6-5
Unranked temple 9-4
Unranked eastern Michigan 6-6
Unranked Indiana 1-11
Unranked Iowa 7-6
Unranked Purdue 7-6
Unranked Northwestern 6-7
Unranked Illinois 7-6
Ubranked Ohio State 6-7

Again, JVP haters, I ask you where did Penn State rank in record from 2005-2011? Why are you avoiding this question?
It was #13. It was a decent run. But it was becoming the exception not the rule. Just because someone thinks Joe hung on to long doesn't mean we hate the man. I don't think he was a god and worship every thing he did. I feel he stayed to long. In the end he sacrificed what he preached in order to get that final run. He was a figure head and the team was out of control. Players were getting in trouble and doing things they would never have gotten away with years ago.

What in the world are you talking about? Which one of these teams were ranked? There weren't even 5 wins over FBS teams with winning records. Temple was the only team who they beat that won more than 7 games.

Unranked Indiana State 6-5
Unranked temple 9-4
Unranked eastern Michigan 6-6
Unranked Indiana 1-11
Unranked Iowa 7-6
Unranked Purdue 7-6
Unranked Northwestern 6-7
Unranked Illinois 7-6
Ubranked Ohio State 6-7

My bad. I misread the Wikipedia entry.

Still, Penn State was ranked in the top 25. Only someone who has been spoiled for decades would see that as a program that was in trouble. It's sad that there are so many ungrateful Penn State fans who don't recognize how good we had it for so many years. You sound like a rich kid who is pissed off that he got a Lexus for graduation instead of a Ferrari.

Reactions: fairgambit
In the end he sacrificed what he preached in order to get that final run.

What a load of garbage.

But you've provided one more data point proving the theory that many of the people who think that Paterno was responsible for the Sandusky mess are really just football-crazed loons who care only about the W-L record.

Reactions: Hotshoe

Still, Penn State was ranked in the top 25. Only someone who has been spoiled for decades would see that as a program that was in trouble. It's sad that there are so many ungrateful Penn State fans who don't recognize how good we had it for so many years. You sound like a rich kid who is pissed off that he got a Lexus for graduation instead of a Ferrari.
I agree. In the 7 years nits74 was asking about (2005-2011) Penn State won 67 football games including 4 bowl games. By comparison, Michigan won 53 in that span (not a misprint), Wisconsin won 70, and OSU won 72. I'd say almost 10 wins a year over 7 years is a record most schools would envy, and we did not violate NCAA rules to do it. I am proud of that record and the way it was accomplished. If others are not, so be it.

Last edited:
What a load of garbage.

But you've provided one more data point proving the theory that many of the people who think that Paterno was responsible for the Sandusky mess are really just football-crazed loons who care only about the W-L record.
I mentioned nothing about Sandusky. I just saw a figure head of a coach. One who quit recruiting. One who let his assistants do all the work. A coach that a decade before would not tolerate his players constantly getting arrested. Were you proud of that? His press conferences became unwatchable. He left you wondering if he even knew what was going on. You knew on talent alone that Penn State would win a bunch of games. They always beat the teams the weaklings on the schedule but when they faced a good team it was usually pretty bad.

It has nothing to do with being spoiled. It more like seeing a program that is under achieving. It like a parent who knows there kid could get A's but is skating by with B's. A kid who instead of challenging itself by taking ap classes but just take easy electives. People on here are always complaining about the easy non conference schedule. It was predictable that most likely if they played a rank team it was going to be a loss.

Also since when is no NCAA violations the measuring stick? I mean I thought Penn State was above that? I missed the earlier days in Paterno career when it was a non stop parade of arrests. I don't think it is a coincidence that when he was gone the number of players arrests went down significantly.

Reactions: Rutgers85
It was obvious in 2010 that it was over. The 2011 record was good, but I don't remember many people thinking that team was actually really good. Why Paterno hung on until he was 85 years old, I'll never fully understand. When he was in his 60s, he seemed like the type who would want to eventually step aside and let someone come in with new ideas. Then he never did. 2005 was his last great act, although he was lucky to even get that chance (no other coach in college football history would have been retained after 2000-04).

Reactions: vulcan80
Not when the meat of the schedule is at the end. There was not a team they beat that Penn Stats was not a 14 point favorite. They were a bunch of terrible teams.
Agreed. We would beat the mediocre. Beat OSU 1 out of 3 or 4 trys. Lose to Michigan and anyone else when it mattered. Hell, we had to go 3 OTS to beat a 7-5 FSU team and that was his best win since 2006. 1999 we lose to Minnesota when we are No. 1, then we get Steam rolled by Um and MICH St. back to back. 2000,2001,2003, 2004 were pitiful/embarrasing. Morelli and early McGloin years the same.

I agree. In the 7 years nits74 was asking about (2005-2011) Penn State won 67 football games including 4 bowl games. By comparison, Michigan won 53 in that span (not a misprint), Wisconsin won 70, and OSU won 72. I'd say almost 10 wins a year over 7 years is a record most schools would envy, and we did not violate NCAA rules to do it. I am proud of that record and the way it was accomplished. If others are not, so be it.

We were good but not great. I want to watch Penn State win national championships again.

We were good but not great. I want to watch Penn State win national championships again.
Remember Joe telling us to "lower our expectations", a totally ridiculous thing to say. What year was that? That was the beginning of the end for Joe Paterno. Can you imagine a coach telling the Ohio State or Alabama fanbase this?

I mentioned nothing about Sandusky. I just saw a figure head of a coach. One who quit recruiting. One who let his assistants do all the work. A coach that a decade before would not tolerate his players constantly getting arrested. Were you proud of that? His press conferences became unwatchable. He left you wondering if he even knew what was going on. You knew on talent alone that Penn State would win a bunch of games. They always beat the teams the weaklings on the schedule but when they faced a good team it was usually pretty bad.
you contradict yourself here, if Paterno quit recruiting, then how did we win games on talent alone??

I'm trying to remember who had the most big ten titles from 2005 to 2011? It wasn't osu, those were vacated for legitimate violations. Which team was 2 plays away from playing for 2 national championships? Which team had the top recruiting class coming in that was decimated when osu hired Meyer and PSU hired no one? All these things escape my feeble memory.

you contradict yourself here, if Paterno quit recruiting, then how did we win games on talent alone??

It was obvious that there were some coaches who were retired in place, including Paterno (with the exception of 2005, when he had something to prove).

There were a lot of people who believed that Johnson, Bradley, and McQueary were carrying the whole staff when it came to recruiting. They had some success, but there is no way this was an ideal situation.

It was obvious in 2010 that it was over. The 2011 record was good, but I don't remember many people thinking that team was actually really good. .

Clearly some people thought that the team was good or it wouldn't have been ranked in the AP Top 25 for most of the season.

It was #13. It was a decent run. But it was becoming the exception not the rule. Just because someone thinks Joe hung on to long doesn't mean we hate the man. I don't think he was a god and worship every thing he did. I feel he stayed to long. In the end he sacrificed what he preached in order to get that final run. He was a figure head and the team was out of control. Players were getting in trouble and doing things they would never have gotten away with years ago.

You really are an idiot. You continue to prove that to us. Kids got in trouble, but Joe never stood for it. Things cleaned up before he left.

Remember Joe telling us to "lower our expectations", a totally ridiculous thing to say. What year was that? That was the beginning of the end for Joe Paterno. Can you imagine a coach telling the Ohio State or Alabama fanbase this?

What are you talking about? Was it this quote? Because if it was, Joe said pretty much the opposite of what you're claiming.

Q. If I can follow that up. You want to be in a place, though, don't you where you have those expectations? Penn State's clearly that place?
I try to encourage them. I try to encourage them. But I also try to tell everybody it's realistic that there are days things aren't going to go your way. As I mentioned, in 1982 when we won the national championship, we had to come off a tough loss against Alabama where we had a blocked kick for touchdown. That would be nice if it's a replica or forerunner of what might happen this year, but that's ridiculous. What happened then, happened then. What's going to happen from here on in, we've got to make happen. Hopefully the fans will not...I don't expect them to lower their expectations of how well we can play. But I can't address it when they're expectations aren't met. Because we've got hundreds of thousands of fans; each one's got a different view of what's going on. If I try to do that, I don't know what else I'd do.

Clearly some people thought that the team was good or it wouldn't have been ranked in the AP Top 25 for most of the season.

Right... and when the AP said Mississippi State was the best team in the country mid-season in 2014, that totally meant it was true

Right... and when the AP said Mississippi State was the best team in the country mid-season in 2014, that totally meant it was true

You and Aoshiro are saying two different things. When Penn State was ranked in the Top 25 in 2011, it meant that some people felt the team was good. When Mississippi State was ranked No. 1 in 2014, it meant that some people felt the team was the best team in the country. Obviously being "good" and being "the best" are very different.

Here's a newsflash for you: Paterno died. The program was going to be forced to "move on" with or without the sanctions. The sanctions just made it infinitely harder to get through that transition.

The idea that Penn State benefitted in any way from the sanctions is ludicrous.

You and Aoshiro are saying two different things. When Penn State was ranked in the Top 25 in 2011, it meant that some people felt the team was good. When Mississippi State was ranked No. 1 in 2014, it meant that some people felt the team was the best team in the country. Obviously being "good" and being "the best" are very different.

I am just saying that the 2011 team was not that good, in my opinion. Imagine a hypothetical team that faces the 117th ranked schedule and starts 10-0 - the AP will rank them at some point, but nobody knows if they are actually any good because they haven't played anybody. 2011 was not quite that extreme, but not too far from it. The 2011 team was lucky to beat Temple and Illinois. I've watched PSU for a very long time. Long enough to know that was not an example of one of our better teams.

Question? IF this year's team finishes 10-2 will it be ranked in the Top 25? Losses to OSU and MSU.
Remember the Coach at Nebraska was let go because of such records. WHY? because it is Nebraska and being OK is NOT good enough. We were once that, and I for one expect Franklin to make us truly competitive with the BIG BOYS !!! as we once were.

You really are an idiot. You continue to prove that to us. Kids got in trouble, but Joe never stood for it. Things cleaned up before he left.
So because I won't worship Paterno and say he was perfect until he died makes me an idiot? You wonder why people call Penn State fans a cult. Anyone who dares to criticize him is called names. Do you think cleaning the stadium was punishment? That harsh punishment that took 2 hrs and only happened a few times. The same thing that many groups in the university just to have the funds to exist. How did Paterno deal with Scirotto and Bowman? He named one captain and made continuous excuses for the other one.

Reactions: TheWitchDoctor
It's threads like this one that makes me wonder which boosters supported (and even helped) with the false narrative of the GJP and the decisions by the BOT. Money talks and there were (are) enough anti-Paterno people out there - even within the Penn State family.

Can't help but speculate that were Penn State Boosters who vehemently wanted to cut ties with anything Paterno. To many, just the idea that Jay Paterno would be Head Coach would make them nauseated.

I have my reasons to suspect that there are some Penn State boosters operating behind the scenes partly responsible for this false narrative SOLEY to move Penn State Football in a new direction (i.e., a break from the past).

What did you mean when you said that Joe "sacrificed what he preached?"
He preached about doing the right thing while players continued to get into trouble. I think he brought in kids that in the past he would never considered just for the sake of getting the record.

He preached about doing the right thing while players continued to get into trouble. I think he brought in kids that in the past he would never considered just for the sake of getting the record.

Huh? You need better meds. Paterno turned away plenty of talent because of off field stuff. Seriously, this is one of the more bizarre things you have stated, and that is saying something.

It's threads like this one that makes me wonder which boosters supported (and even helped) with the false narrative of the GJP and the decisions by the BOT. Money talks and there were (are) enough anti-Paterno people out there - even within the Penn State family.

Can't help but speculate that were Penn State Boosters who vehemently wanted to cut ties with anything Paterno. To many, just the idea that Jay Paterno would be Head Coach would make them nauseated.

I have my reasons to suspect that there are some Penn State boosters operating behind the scenes partly responsible for this false narrative SOLEY to move Penn State Football in a new direction (i.e., a break from the past).

I forget which bot member blaimed Paterno for staying too long as a contributing reason to the scandal, but he wasn't the only one on the board.

Question? IF this year's team finishes 10-2 will it be ranked in the Top 25? Losses to OSU and MSU.
Remember the Coach at Nebraska was let go because of such records. WHY? because it is Nebraska and being OK is NOT good enough. We were once that, and I for one expect Franklin to make us truly competitive with the BIG BOYS !!! as we once were.
Got news for ya. Nebraska isn't great and has not been for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT