ADVERTISEMENT

Watching the CJF Postgame....

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
Especially his words about the hand off the high school player by the parents to the coach and coaching staff and the greater Penn State community for development and maturation were very moving. His explanation of how the players come to the program thinking they know everything,,,, then after they arrive get humbled and then working with them to build a real enduring mature confidence was terrific. Anyone that called this guy a used car salesman .... well those folks are the used car salesmen. The man is flat out sincere. Also his admission that he and the staff are not sure when to call of the dogs at the end of games was quite candid..... Usually, I would rather watch game film after any football game rather than listen to a coach at a press conference. With CJF, that is not the case.

I also like how he respects the privacy of his players. Many of us fans and many in the press think we are owed all the information available about a player. Not so. I recall my college years with great clarity. Young people are entitled to grow up without the eyes, idle minds and mouths of the whole world having a front row seat. They need room to make mistakes to learn and grow and amend their paths of their own volition without getting hammered with guilt from all corners. Such is not constructive in their young lives.

In my eyes, CJF is a terrific coach and person. Glad we have him rather than many many others in high profile programs that I see, no matter.

Last edited:
Especially his words about the hand off the high school player by the parents to the coach and coaching staff and the greater Penn State community for development and maturation was very moving. His explanation of how the players come to the program thinking they know everything,,,, then after they arrive get humbled and then working with them to build a real enduring mature confidence was terrific. Anyone that called this guy a used car salesman .... well those folks are the used car salesmen. The man is flat out sincere. Also his admission that he and the staff are not sure when to call of the dogs at the end of games was quite candid..... Usually, I would rather watch game film after any football game rather than listen to a coach at a press conference. With CJF, that is not the case.

I also like how he respects the privacy of his players. Many of us fans and many in the press think we are owed all the information available about a player. Not so. I recall my college years with great clarity. Young people are entitled to grow up without the eyes, idle minds and mouths of the whole world having a front row seat. They need room to make mistakes to learn and grow and amend their paths without getting hammered with guilt from all corners. Such is not constructive in their young lives.

In my eyes, CJF is a terrific coach and person. Glad we have him rather than many many others in high profile programs that I see, no matter.

Good post. I agree with almost everything you said.

We are VERY lucky to have Franklin. What made Paterno so great was not the 409 wins, not all the bowl wins, not all the on-field achievements, but the way he ran our program as a person. Franklin is a different person than Paterno, but he is also running our program the right way. He is not just coaching players on the field, but he is coaching them as human beings. And he has really connected as a person with not just the PSU community, but the State of PA.

Especially his words about the hand off the high school player by the parents to the coach and coaching staff and the greater Penn State community for development and maturation were very moving. His explanation of how the players come to the program thinking they know everything,,,, then after they arrive get humbled and then working with them to build a real enduring mature confidence was terrific. Anyone that called this guy a used car salesman .... well those folks are the used car salesmen. The man is flat out sincere. Also his admission that he and the staff are not sure when to call of the dogs at the end of games was quite candid..... Usually, I would rather watch game film after any football game rather than listen to a coach at a press conference. With CJF, that is not the case.

I also like how he respects the privacy of his players. Many of us fans and many in the press think we are owed all the information available about a player. Not so. I recall my college years with great clarity. Young people are entitled to grow up without the eyes, idle minds and mouths of the whole world having a front row seat. They need room to make mistakes to learn and grow and amend their paths of their own volition without getting hammered with guilt from all corners. Such is not constructive in their young lives.

As the CEO of the program, he is more than capable and a very good representative of what most of us believe is Penn State football. I'm just not so sure that the people that report to him can consistently coach the fundamental so they compete and adapt with the same excellence even when falling short.
There's losing and losing looking bad fundamentally, and winning and winning looking bad fundamentally.
They're not ready for the CFP, and I feel it is more in the coaching than the players.

Reactions: psuro

When things were not going so well, I shared here that a close relative went thru elementary and high school with CJF. He is hard working. sincere and loyal. This is how he was described to me when he took the Vandy Job . Coaches make thousands of decisions everyday. It is human nature that some will look bad in hindsight. IMO, PSU is incredibly blessed to have James Franklin running the football program. When all is said and done.....real PSU Football Fans know that it is about more than winning and losing a football game.

As the CEO of the program, he is more than capable and a very good representative of what most of us believe is Penn State football. I'm just not so sure that the people that report to him can consistently coach the fundamental so they compete and adapt with the same excellence even when falling short.
There's losing and losing looking bad fundamentally, and winning and winning looking bad fundamentally.
They're not ready for the CFP, and I feel it is more in the coaching than the players.
Franklin has stated several times in the past year that the program has “a long way to go” to be where they want to be. He sees the same things we do

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT