ADVERTISEMENT

Watching College Game day today, anyone catch this arguement

RTLH

Nov 7, 2001
or debate if you want to call it that.

No right way to determine the who gets into the CFB playoffs and who does not.
This team beat this team, each has 1 loss.
This team got blown out by an unranked team
This team played 3 teams in the top 10.
This team had the 43rd hardest schedule.
This team may have fewer losses but did not play that tough of a schedule.

My take is (even though it was not bought up) is thank god Notre Dame got beat by Stanford.
They would have been the highest ranked 2 loss team even if they did not deserve it. Because they are the darlings of the pollsters and TV people.

So how to fix it. You must win a conference to get into the playoffs.
Or
Go undefeated.
issue with that is you have the power 5 but if a team from another conference has one of these kick ass years and goes undfeated, they are screwed.

Of course expanding the playoffs would help but how many games can they let these kids play.

As for the crybabies in south bend. Go undefeated or go to a conference where you actually have to compete and share with others instead of being about yourself.

Making a conference title a requirement is illogical if all don't make it. They need to expand. FCS has a 24 game playoff. The number of additional games is meaningless. Whomever reaches the title game will play 15. 10-11 game regular season and a large playoff is simple

We are lucky Stanford beat ND. No doubt about that

My take is (even though it was not bought up) is thank god Notre Dame got beat by Stanford.
They would have been the highest ranked 2 loss team even if they did not deserve it. Because they are the darlings of the pollsters and TV people.

Or
Go undefeated.
issue with that is you have the power 5 but if a team from another conference has one of these kick ass years and goes undfeated, they are screwed.

Of course expanding the playoffs would help but how many games can they let these kids play.

As for the crybabies in south bend. Go undefeated or go to a conference where you actually have to compete and share with others instead of being about yourself.

8 team playoff. Conference champs get 5 automatic bids. 3 at large spots for teams like ND, UCF, 2nd best in a P5 conference, etc.

Making a conference title a requirement is illogical if all don't make it. They need to expand. FCS has a 24 game playoff. The number of additional games is meaningless. Whomever reaches the title game will play 15. 10-11 game regular season and a large playoff is simple

We are lucky Stanford beat ND. No doubt about that
The FCS plays one fewer season schedule and I don't believe they have conference championship games. So they play at least one fewer games than FBS and two less games than FBS teams in conference championships. That gives them a two week advantage for playoffs right there. That's the equivalent of expanding our playoffs to 16 teams. So if you want to go to an 11 week schedule and eliminate conference championships, then we could easily go to a 16 team playoff. We could even adopt the FCS format and go to 24 teams. But it does mean going to 11 games and no championship games to make it equivalent to the number of games FCS plays.

I could see going to 8 teams without changing anything else, but any more and regular season would need to change.

Last edited:
Making Conference Championship a requirement simplifies the qualification process, but the purpose of the committee was to get the best teams in the playoffs. You disadvsntsge the teams that play in tougher conferences, and depending on how many teams are in the playoffs and what other criteria is in place, you may create a disincentive for teams to play quality out of conference games.

I like the idea of 6 playoff teams. P5 Conference Champions and an at large. Give a bye for the top two rated teams, and home field advantage to the 3rd and 4th ranked teams in the first set of games.

That way Conference Champions are rewarded, there is a spot for an Independent, a non-P5 school,or a non-conference Champion who has proven themselves most of the year and is deserving. It doesn’t add too many more games, and because of the home field in the first round, fans don’t have to accommodate as much travel if their team moves ahead. The top 4 most deserving teams are also given advantages despite the expansion.

While no matter how many teams you allow in the playoffs, there will usually be someone who still feels slighted, but after the Conference Championship games, most years 6 teams aren’t that difficult to separate.

8 games is not enough got to be 16. The championship is already set for a day, with the final 4 on New Years , that leaves 2 more dates and thats doable.
With 8 teams your still stuck with the political BS, 16 is fair. Heck, basketball makes a tournament out of a conference championship, and the better teams that don't make the NCAA tournament go to the NIT.

Or
Go undefeated.

I know a ton of Irish die hard fans. Not one viewed themselves as being worthy with more than one loss. You can bust on them for a lot but their schedule is not one of those things. They trucked USC, beat Sparty, and lost by a point to a good Georgia team. Check out their sch next year.

Reactions: step.eng69
8 team playoff. Conference champs get 5 automatic bids. 3 at large spots for teams like ND, UCF, 2nd best in a P5 conference, etc.

This doesn’t work because the at-large teams would benefit by not having to play a conference championship game.

I’m fine with leaving it at four teams, but make it so only conference champions and independents are eligible to be chosen. And place an emphasis on conference champions so that a 2 loss Notre Dame wouldn’t be chosen over a 2 loss conference champion.

The year Penn State goes 11-1 and finishes second behind Ohio State or Michigan or Michigan State you'll realize just how dumb it is for a conf title to be a requirement

Cut the season to 10 or 11. The power 5 conferences get two bids with two division winners. Group of 5 gets 1 bid--highest ranked division winner. Big XII has to create divisions. 15 auto bids 9 at large. Every conference is include. Everyone is happy...except the last team out of course

The year Penn State goes 11-1 and finishes second behind Ohio State or Michigan or Michigan State you'll realize just how dumb it is for a conf title to be a requirement

Cut the season to 10 or 11. The power 5 conferences get two bids with two division winners. Group of 5 gets 1 bid--highest ranked division winner. Big XII has to create divisions. 15 auto bids 9 at large. Every conference is include. Everyone is happy...except the last team out of course

I’m going to tell you why the football coaches don’t want that.

Because if they go to a bowl and win they can sell that to recruits. They can’t sell “hey we made the first round of the playoffs and then ended our season in a loss”

Also, you would have a lawsuit from the bowls against the NCAA. The bowls are really under the NCAA regulation which is why we have so many bowl games.

The top bowls agree to be a part of the CFP right now because it preserves their relevance. It’s about tourism dollars, that’s why the bowls were first started.

Because if they go to a bowl and win they can sell that to recruits. They can’t sell “hey we made the first round of the playoffs and then ended our season in a loss”

Also, you would have a lawsuit from the bowls against the NCAA. The bowls are really under the NCAA regulation which is why we have so many bowl games.

The top bowls agree to be a part of the CFP right now because it preserves their relevance. It’s about tourism dollars, that’s why the bowls were first started.
I disagree. I think they can absolutely sell making the playoffs. Just a few players away. The bowls are meaningless. Any kid that believes winning that is better than making a playoff and having a chance to compete for a title is someone I don't want on my team.

I disagree. I think they can absolutely sell making the playoffs. Just a few players away. The bowls are meaningless. Any kid that believes winning that is better than making a playoff and having a chance to compete for a title is someone I don't want on my team.

Well you would be wrong, the coaches would rather be say Fiesta bowl champs or Cotton bowl champs than saying being getting in a field of 24 and losing in the first or second round.

Either way they can sell it that they are a few players away. They would rather finish with a win and a springboard to recruiting.

Well you would be wrong, the coaches would rather be say Fiesta bowl champs or Cotton bowl champs than saying being getting in a field of 24 and losing in the first or second round.

Either way they can sell it that they are a few players away. They would rather finish with a win and a springboard to recruiting.

What idiot thinks it is impressive to be the Cotton Bowl champ? You beat another team in a meaningless game. Who cares? Sweet, we won an exhibition that a lot of kids are going to start skipping to prepare for the NFL draft. It amazes me that you guys don't think making the playoffs and having a shot to contend for a title would be a selling point.

What idiot thinks it is impressive to be the Cotton Bowl champ? You beat another team in a meaningless game. Who cares? Sweet, we won an exhibition that a lot of kids are going to start skipping to prepare for the NFL draft. It amazes me that you guys don't think making the playoffs and having a shot to contend for a title would be a selling point.

The coaches and even the current players. They go to a bowl game, get lots of gifts, spend a week in a nice place and it’s a fun way to end a season or career.

The 22 nd seed gets to play another week, and looks forward to being embarrassed in their last game.

What do people remember oh you won the Peach bowl or you got beat by 4 TDs in a playoff hame that you had no shot in winning

The coaches and even the current players. They go to a bowl game, get lots of gifts, spend a week in a nice place and it’s a fun way to end a season or career.

The 22 nd seed gets to play another week, and looks forward to being embarrassed in their last game.

What do people remember oh you won the Peach bowl or you got beat by 4 TDs in a playoff hame that you had no shot in winning

Please...half the fans can't even tell you what bowl game we played in 5 years later let alone the score
If you truly believe all these teams would lose by 4 scores then I'm wasting my time. This nonsense that ranked teams have no chance is laughable. No on is including Pitt in this and they have proven they can beat a team that might be in the playoff--probably won't be but might be

Please...half the fans can't even tell you what bowl game we played in 5 years later let alone the score
If you truly believe all these teams would lose by 4 scores then I'm wasting my time. This nonsense that ranked teams have no chance is laughable. No on is including Pitt in this and they have proven they can beat a team that might be in the playoff--probably won't be but might be

Yes you are wasting your time. I’m not talking about the fans I’m telling you what coaches and the players want and what the coaches want to sell to recruits.

Yes you are wasting your time. I’m not talking about the fans I’m telling you what coaches and the players want and what the coaches want to sell to recruits.

Then I disagree with you and I don't want a player that would rather take a trip to Florida or California then have a chance to play for a title. You really believe these current players and coaches wouldn't be happier if they were given a chance to play for a title?

Or
Go undefeated.

Why are you watching ESPN, the network that took down PSU b/c it was a slow sports day?

And where are the Big schools and conferences going to do about the lost revenue?
Losing potentially 2 home games plus tv contracts may have to be renegotiated due to less games.
Understand there will be money from the playoffs but how they split that will likely include all of D1 teams and conferences.

11 games? Good luck with that. Programs are spending and counting on 12 game schedules. Including the lower level teams that sell their souls to the big boys for a seven figure check.

Reactions: mn78psu83 and Art
Most coaches would much rather keep the bowl system. How else would they get to celebrate a .500 season? Watch the end of a bowl game and tell me it's meaningless to the players and coaches. They're dousing their coach with Gatorade after a win over another 6-6 team in the Dandelion Bowl.

Expanding the playoff would seriously water down the best regular season in sports. The reality is, most years there are not even 4 teams that have a legitimate chance of being number 1. Take last year, Ohio state, a premiere program got destroyed by Clemson. The year before, a very good (but not elite) Michigan State team got blown out by Alabama 38-0. Football is too dangerous of game to be playing pointless games like the ones that would happen in an 8 or 16 team playoff with obvious mismatches. UCF is 12-0, no way they could compete with Auburn, Bama, Clemson. Look at the iron bowl. Bama loses and may still get in the playoff. With an expanded playoff you could argue that it's advantageous to miss the conference champ game, rest up and prepare for playoff. Also, I love bowl games. You get to see competitive matchups of teams that wouldn't otherwise play each other. It also can propel a team into the next season. Remember PSU's 1993 beat down of Tennessee? Of course nothing that any of us mention will be considered, it's all about the $$$$.

Expanding the playoff would seriously water down the best regular season in sports.

I never understood why people think this is true. If you go to 8 with conf champ automatic plus 3 wilds, this strengthens the regular season, especially conference games. For instance, the last game against MD meant nothing in terms of CFP, but at 8 it would have. Same with last night's Pac 12 game. Game would have had more relevance if CFP on line, plus improved attendance. Last year Minnesota had shot at West title last week of season. Win that and their one game away from CFP.

Plus, teams could schedule more agressively in non-con. Win a big game improves resume in case they lose conference. Lose a big game they still have shot via conference. True maybe Minnesota isn't good enough, but with 3 CFB blowouts in last two years does it really matter?

And where are the Big schools and conferences going to do about the lost revenue?
Losing potentially 2 home games plus tv contracts may have to be renegotiated due to less games.
Understand there will be money from the playoffs but how they split that will likely include all of D1 teams and conferences.

You are correct, it opens Pandora's box in a big way and there is no guarantee that there will be increased TV revenue. even for an expanded playoff.

FWIW, playoff revenue is now largely split among all FBS conferences, though certainly not equally.

Uh, no. NCAA controls neither the playoff or the bowls. The bowls could sue the CFP organization, but they'd have an easy counter to that: the conferences that have contracts with the bowls could simply let them lapse.

We can not avoid committee bias, even unintentional bias and espin propaganda for the sec/nd/eye test, etc. unless we disband it and expand the format to include up to at least 16 teams e.g. the FCS and all other ncaa format playoffs to determine a national championship. Watching game day a bit today displayed the obvious subjective nature of a committee and its arbitrary and capricious nature from year to year. Cynical me believes the criteria is adjusted to the favored teams record, performance and perceived advantage......see 2017 where conference championships did not supersede record even when the extra game was played nor did head to head record or division record......what a surprise, shazam!

16 includes at least several non-contenders making the argument of missing real contenders moot. Only the final four teams in this playoff will play meaningful extra games, just like other divisions and other sports do without apparent distress. Look at baseball where they are playing well into June. I don't have all the bases covered nor does this idea provide foolproof guarantees of total fairness yet it seems far better than current practice.

Yes, football is a collision sport but a 16 team format would include what would have been a bowl game and one extra game to get to the final four teams. Those four will play far more than now yet it is done in all other divisions of football and other ncaa sports. Obviously there is something different in FBS division football than other divisions and sports.....$$$$$$$$$, that is the difference.

The bowls fear irrelevancy yet they could host two playoff games and a bowl game with teams not involved in the playoff. Networks would have college football every weekend through mid Jan. There is plenty of $$$ potential if they think if though and end their fear of change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT