ADVERTISEMENT

Watching a 1973 basketball game on NBA TV: New York Knicks vs. Baltimore Bullets

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
March 4, 1973. This is a hoot. A few observations:

1. Of course, no 3-point line back then. The game is not as exciting with everything being a 2.

2. Lots of talent on the floor. For example, Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Willis Reed, Earl "The Pearl" Monroe.

3. Phil Jackson played for the Knicks back then. Of course, he had lots of hair and a bushy moustache.

4. The game was played at university of maryland's Cole Field House. Did the Bullets have their own arena back then? (With the game being played at maryland, I do find the culture to be somewhat TOXIC. :eek: .)

5. The Bullets uniform in '73:

MONROE2.jpg

:eek:

6. They were the Baltimore Bullets in '73. By the time I started paying attention to the NBA in the late '70s, they were the Washington Bullets. (Bullets. :eek: )

1. Of course, no 3-point line back then. The game is not as exciting with everything being a 2.

2. Lots of talent on the floor. For example, Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Willis Reed, Earl "The Pearl" Monroe.

3. Phil Jackson played for the Knicks back then. Of course, he had lots of hair and a bushy moustache.

4. The game was played at university of maryland's Cole Field House. Did the Bullets have their own arena back then? (With the game being played at maryland, I do find the culture to be somewhat TOXIC. :eek: .)

MONROE2.jpg

6. They were the Baltimore Bullets in '73. By the time I started paying attention to the NBA in the late '70s, they were the Washington Bullets. (Bullets. :eek: )
Wrong about#1. The game was better and more exciting in those days. The 3 point shot ruined the game. I used to be a big NBA fan before the 3 point shot. The game has deteriorated since imposition of the 3 pointer and has become unwatchable for me.

Wrong about#1. The game was better and more exciting in those days. The 3 point shot ruined the game. I used to be a big NBA fan before the 3 point shot. The game has deteriorated since imposition of the 3 pointer and has become unwatchable for me.

The game is unwatchable these days, but there was a time when the NBA was a quality game even with the 3-point line. I think the 3-pointer brings excitement, but offense in the NBA these days is a lot of standing around and ticky-tack fouls. It wasn't always this bad.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
A couple more observations from this game in '73:

7. I picked it up in the 3rd quarter and haven't seen one dunk.

8. The refs are sweating up a storm, which you don't see these days. One of the announcers commented that it was very hot in Cole Field House. I guess an old arena back in '73 didn't have A/C or not good A/C.

9. Washington won the game. The Knicks did not foul intentionally down the stretch. That was refreshing.

The Bullets played most of their home games at the old Baltimore Civic Center.

MONROE2.jpg

The pic in your post is from the Baltimore Arena, now called Royal Farms or something like that. It hosted the CAA basketball tournament 2 years ago and still looks like the dump that I remember.

Agree. It was great basketball. Passing, low post, tough defense, rebounding, and real fast breaks...

ID all the players visible. If you get #40 on the Knicks, please raise your hand and go to the front of the class.

Edit- That includes the white knee pads behind #11.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT