ADVERTISEMENT

Washington with 3 FRESHMEN starting on O line?

21Guns

Dec 10, 2013
Bellefonte
Wow. Very unusual to hear that. Around here, we are very accustomed to simply admitting
that offensive linemen are not ready until they've been in the program for three years. Now, Washington
is struggling offensively, so yes, perhaps this is a direct product of that young offensive line.

Apparently Washington might be that team we were looking for, with a worse offensive line situation
than we have!

Thats strange. I thought they were out on the injury report.

Nice drive there though, with those three freshmen against this USC defense.
They might not be ready to play, but for three freshmen, they are acquitting themselves nicely.

They might not be ready to play, but for three freshmen, they are acquitting themselves nicely.
Yes, those 3 points they've rolled up are huge.

Well......they did have some injuries up front, and some veteran guys who just flat out stunk (I think they have 9 Jr and Sr offensive linemen on the roster.....so it's not like they HAD TO play the RsFr guys and , I think, one TrFr)

That said, against division 1 opponents this year:

Washington 94 carries for 210 yards 2.2 ypc

We all know PSU hasn't exactly been a juggernaut, and still:

PSU 176 carries for 790 yards 4.5 ypc

I don't think UDub is an example you want to use if the idea is that playing 2 or 3 TrFr or RsFr up front is a workable solution.

Could you imagine the scenario if PSU's run game was - from where it is now - CUT IN HALF!?

Well......they did have some injuries up front, and some veteran guys who just flat out stunk (I think they have 9 Jr and Sr offensive linemen on the roster.....so it's not like they HAD TO play the RsFr guys and , I think, one TrFr)

That said, against division 1 opponents this year:

Washington 94 carries for 210 yards 2.2 ypc

We all know PSU hasn't exactly been a juggernaut, and still:

PSU 176 carries for 790 yards 4.5 ypc

I don't think UDub is an example you want to use if the idea is that playing 2 or 3 TrFr or RsFr up front is a workable solution.

Could you imagine the scenario if PSU's run game was - from where it is now - CUT IN HALF!?
Perhaps. But with that said...

17 points against USC, another good drive running the ball..."UW offensive line taking over in the trenches.." from the color guys in the booth. Not bad for 3 freshmen who simply are not "ready to play".

17 points against USC, another good drive running the ball..."UW offensive line taking over in the trenches.." from the color guys in the booth. Not bad for 3 freshmen who simply are not "ready to play".
Oh, and that "flat out stunk"....well, how are we doing up front with our upper classmen who have played for a year and a half and had 15 extra practices last year?

Hey, hopefully we come out on Saturday and run the ball, throw the ball and put up points on IU...maybe the light comes on?

Yes, those 3 points they've rolled up are huge.
Dudes it is all coaching i do not no all the assistants I think
It is Hand! Look at Munchak at Pittsburgh
It is coaching from the head coach down ..!players are not that bad .
Quit the player bashing .! Coach to your strengths . Why is Hack afraid to run ?
Coaches say do not run or I am Tom Brady . Come on man ! This is college
He Will not run because his dad or
His agent says do not
Get hurt b
Think about it !!

GM
H
This

Good old "Seven Win Sark " in vintage form tonight. The SC alums are in open revolt, and ready to toss him over the gunwales.

Wow. Very unusual to hear that. Around here, we are very accustomed to simply admitting
that offensive linemen are not ready until they've been in the program for three years. Now, Washington
is struggling offensively, so yes, perhaps this is a direct product of that young offensive line.

Apparently Washington might be that team we were looking for, with a worse offensive line situation
than we have!

How many scholarships did they lose in the Jerry Sandusky scandal? Seriously, not really apples to apples.

than we have!

than we have!

Man you are as predictable as the sun coming up in the morning. Let's fire Franklin and hire you as the coach so we can be undefeated every season.

Not taking issue with your overall point (I know you are dug into a foxhole on that one.....and, hey, that kind of stuff is all subjective, and each of us is entitled to their POV......so long as they don't go full bore douchebag - which you are certainly not doing).

Anyway.....just wanted to take advantage of this part of your post to make a unrelated point:

"UW offensive line taking over in the trenches.." from the color guys in the booth"

Jesse Palmer and the LBer from UGA (can't remember his name)?
I made the mistake of watching a couple minutes of that game with the sound on. And just in that couple of minutes.....

Just to set the stage:

It was near the end of the first half, and there was a play (IIRC, a short pass completion). The USC ball carrier was trying to get forward for a first down (down to about the UW 10 yard line).
The ball carrier gets met by a tackler near the sidelines, and gets driven back and OOB. Now, the forward progress - where the official spotted the ball - occurred inbounds. FWIW, the spot was very close to a first down, and the officials stopped the clock for a measurement (he ended up a few inches short)

OK.....I think most of us know that when forward progress is stopped inbounds, the clock continues to run. I mean it typically only happens at least once in EVERY GAME. Not only that, but the official was thoughtful enough to open up the field mike, as the measurement was taking place, to let everyone know the "Forward progress occurred when the ball carrier was inbounds, and the clock would restart after the measurement".

Duh.

Jesse Palmer, and his co-hort then (even though it was explained by the Ref, as is most fans wouldn't know anyway) went on and on, as the replay was being run, about how the clock shouldn't be restarted because the ball carrier ended up out of bounds.

Duh

I am constantly ASTOUNDED at the displayed ignorance of guys who are PAID because they are supposed to have the expertise to provide "insight".......who don't even understand such basic stuff as the rules of the game.
This happens damn near every telecast. It really is astounding.

Anyway.....the point being.....justifying ANYTHING going on in a game by the commentary of the "experts in the booth" just ain't worth nuthin' (most of the time).
The number of guys who can actually manage to provide some insight is very small (FWIW, I think two PSUers are among the best around.......Blackledge and Ham).

Most of the rest? Nothing more than carnival barkers in nice suits. Any correlation between their "insights", and the actual play of the game, is - generally - purely coincidental. :)

Not taking issue with your overall point (I Not only that, but the official was thoughtful enough to open up the field mike, as the measurement was taking place, to let everyone know the "Forward progress occurred when the ball carrier was inbounds, and the clock would restart after the measurement".

Sometimes the officials do a really good job of explaining things ... this is an example!

Jesse Palmer, and his co-hort then (even though it was explained by the Ref, as is most fans wouldn't know anyway) went on and on, as the replay was being run, about how the clock shouldn't be restarted because the ball carrier ended up out of bounds.

I highly doubt that the nice suits in the booth are listening to a word that the referee said. Not excusing their stupidity, just saying that they have each other to listen to along with all the Toms, Dicks and Harrys in the control truck. This doesn't excuse their ignorance of a rule without the explanation.

Anyway.....the point being.....justifying ANYTHING going on in a game by the commentary of the "experts in the booth" just ain't worth nuthin' (most of the time).
The number of guys who can actually manage to provide some insight is very small (FWIW, I think two PSUers are among the best around.......Blackledge and Ham).

Most of the rest? Nothing more than carnival barkers in nice suits. Any correlation between their "insights", and the actual play of the game, is - generally - purely coincidental. :)

Carnival barkers ... classic. Thanks, Barry

Not taking issue with your overall point (I know you are dug into a foxhole on that one.....and, hey, that kind of stuff is all subjective, and each of us is entitled to their POV......so long as they don't go full bore douchebag - which you are certainly not doing).

Anyway.....just wanted to take advantage of this part of your post to make a unrelated point:

"UW offensive line taking over in the trenches.." from the color guys in the booth"

Jesse Palmer and the LBer from UGA (can't remember his name)?
I made the mistake of watching a couple minutes of that game with the sound on. And just in that couple of minutes.....

Just to set the stage:

It was near the end of the first half, and there was a play (IIRC, a short pass completion). The USC ball carrier was trying to get forward for a first down (down to about the UW 10 yard line).
The ball carrier gets met by a tackler near the sidelines, and gets driven back and OOB. Now, the forward progress - where the official spotted the ball - occurred inbounds. FWIW, the spot was very close to a first down, and the officials stopped the clock for a measurement (he ended up a few inches short)

OK.....I think most of us know that when forward progress is stopped inbounds, the clock continues to run. I mean it typically only happens at least once in EVERY GAME. Not only that, but the official was thoughtful enough to open up the field mike, as the measurement was taking place, to let everyone know the "Forward progress occurred when the ball carrier was inbounds, and the clock would restart after the measurement".

Duh.

Duh

I am constantly ASTOUNDED at the displayed ignorance of guys who are PAID because they are supposed to have the expertise to provide "insight".......who don't even understand such basic stuff as the rules of the game.
This happens damn near every telecast. It really is astounding.

Absolutely 100 percent correct.

I actually thought about that shortly after posting...when I realized it was Palmer and Pollock doing the color. Or "color" in their cases, lol.

Grain of salt. Of course.

UW OL, Fr. QB and a freshman RB looked really good at times.
Maybe USC's D is that bad?
I really like Petersen as a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT