ADVERTISEMENT

Was college football better years ago?

so-Was college football better years ago?

• yes it was

• no it's better now

• I'm too young to understand the question

Results are only viewable after voting.
so you're not really an old grump ;)

MR.%20MAGOO%20COLOR.jpg

Everybody say UP!!

Much, much better when these guys rode:

wwe-news-wwf-four-horseman-nwa-crockett-wcw-ric-flair-arn-anderson-ole-title-2.jpg

''Outlined against a blue, gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore, they were known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction, and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Anderson, Windham, Flair, and Blanchard. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone......

Let's define "years ago" as the days when there weren't so many bowl games that a 6 win season would get you into one.

I say yes. Success was making it into the top ten, playing and winning a major bowl game, and graduating your players. Fans didn't have unreasonable expectations that their team would be the one to win it all, and that anything short of that constituted failure (or maybe a personal affront)- justifying personal attacks on coaches and players.
I like the game better now but it’s definitely a mixed bag. Better athletes. More creative play calling (sometimes) and I really I like that I can watch almost whenever I want, save time and never miss a game (provided I don’t screw up by forgetting to set the dvr). I can even watch a game in 40 mins if I want to and avoid much of the BS that I don’t like. I like the recruiting sites and fan boards—it’s like having a barber shop or corner bar at my desk.
I don’t like the costs or changes in live gameday experience. I used to like ESPN more. Some of the stadium hype is fun, but long gone are the days when a family can go to a big time game, sit down quietly and just enjoy the game, a relaxing afternoon, etc. different pressures on the kids and I guess different opportunities. But the media coverage, scandals, messed up priorities from drug and financial pressures, etc. TV timeouts... and what’s become of the NFL... not so much..

So I think I may like the game and how it’s played, but many of the good stuff is funded by many of the things I’m less enthused about. So mixed bag.

Much, much better when these guys rode:

wwe-news-wwf-four-horseman-nwa-crockett-wcw-ric-flair-arn-anderson-ole-title-2.jpg

''Outlined against a blue, gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore, they were known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction, and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Anderson, Windham, Flair, and Blanchard. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone......

Wooo

Happy Thanksgiving Magoo. And on this special occasion, I do suggest a visit to Alice's Restaurant. Peace Bro. :)

Same to you and your family. Hope the eggs are ok. Don't want to discuss politics with Arlo or Woodie

I voted yes barely
Ability to see PS games on TV, but i was in that special zone for radio games.
Liked old uniforms - Hate the Halloween costumes today.
Like the 15 yd PI penalty today - Disliked the spot foul of old.
Like the replay today - Tony Johnson at Michigan enough said.
More parity today - No schools like Pitt dishing out 110 scholarships.
Announcers of old were impartial, today they all have an agenda.
Hi- Def vs Is it snowing , or is that the TV reception?

But Mostly and think about this Penn State would have played Nebraska in 94, Oklahoma in 77, Ohio State in 68, Texas in 69, Mich or Ohio St. in 73 plus a few more. Penn State had some great bowls nonetheless, but the stage might have been different, a lot of teams ducked PSU because they didn't want the dog fight.

Ah, listening to games on the radio. A lost treasure. How exciting was it listening to Fran and George call the game. And those hot summer nights when the Phillies were on west coast and I'd tune in on KYW1060 to Harry and Richie. Magic.
You would hear the ticker going when there were pauses , i still call what they call the crawler the ticker, and get that , what ticker?

I voted yes barely
Ability to see PS games on TV, but i was in that special zone for radio games.
Liked old uniforms - Hate the Halloween costumes today.
Like the 15 yd PI penalty today - Disliked the spot foul of old.
Like the replay today - Tony Johnson at Michigan enough said.
More parity today - No schools like Pitt dishing out 110 scholarships.
Announcers of old were impartial, today they all have an agenda.
Hi- Def vs Is it snowing , or is that the TV reception?

But Mostly and think about this Penn State would have played Nebraska in 94, Oklahoma in 77, Ohio State in 68, Texas in 69, Mich or Ohio St. in 73 plus a few more. Penn State had some great bowls nonetheless, but the stage might have been different, a lot of teams ducked PSU because they didn't want the dog fight.

Wow, I couldn't agree more. I remember when PSU was on TV maybe three times a year. The announcers used to push a lot less prattle and more insight, and no replays after every down. And no crawl at the bottom with the latest scores (and even ads!) - back then you might have to wait a half hour for your team's score to show up! To the uniforms, I'd add that I really liked the guys being clean-shaven and no "long hair." The guys today with this long hair just make me cringe.

Now all you kids can get off my lawn!;)

Reactions: FHSPSU67
The only thing that was better before was there were more upperclassman playing 3/4 years. No one left as a redshirt sophomore.... as a result of that (and 110 scholarships) I think there were some great overall teams back then. Not sure anyone is Truly a GREAT team today

But more game on tv, better schemes, more good teams with a shot due to the 85 limit, replay, "playoffs" all make it more interesting today for me.

Let's define "years ago" as the days when there weren't so many bowl games that a 6 win season would get you into one.

I say yes. Success was making it into the top ten, playing and winning a major bowl game, and graduating your players. Fans didn't have unreasonable expectations that their team would be the one to win it all, and that anything short of that constituted failure (or maybe a personal affront)- justifying personal attacks on coaches and players.

College football jumped the shark in 1986. After that, it slowly descended into just another form of entertainment, bereft of any societal value.

It was better before the internet. It was better before twitter, ESPN, and the 24 hour news cycle. It was better before recruiting gurus and grown men hanging on every quote from a 17 year old.

They lined up played the game and you read 1 article about it the next day in the newspaper. Ah the good ole days.

College football is great but, outside of Saturdays, it does not take more than 30 minutes of weekly airtime before it becomes uninteresting. Outside of the games themselves, the only interesting thing is how the rankings change. The sports media, on the other hand, believes that there is demand for hours and hours of pointless debate and analysis. There is not and they are ruining it.

ADVERTISEMENT