ADVERTISEMENT

Was Chafie Fields are fastest Wide Receiver?

Fields was plenty fast. I rewatched the '99 Arizona game recently, and Fields was fast in the open field. Of course, he also got down the sideline in a hurry on "The Play" against Miami (on a less-than-ideal track, to boot).

not even close to being the fastest. that's just a silly question. he wasn't even the fastest on the team when he was at PSU. His last year on the team was 1999, and Eddie Drummond, Bryant Johnson, and Rod Perry were faster than Chafie on that year's squad, and if I recall correctly Corey Jones was as well. I could go back to earlier years he was on the squad, but I don't believe he was ever the fastest WR on any of his squads, so what's the point.

not even close to being the fastest. that's just a silly question. he wasn't even the fastest on the team when he was at PSU. His last year on the team was 1999, and Eddie Drummond, Bryant Johnson, and Rod Perry were faster than Chafie on that year's squad, and if I recall correctly Corey Jones was as well. I could go back to earlier years he was on the squad, but I don't believe he was ever the fastest WR on any of his squads, so what's the point.

Bryant Johnson wasn't faster. Drummond was definitely fast. But Chafie Fields in the open field pulled away from everyone and ran a 10+ in the 100 meters

Not sure on fastest, maybe Timpson? But a much bigger deal is "quickness". Bobby Engram had that, big time !!!
Actually, that is something our receivers seem to lack, that have good speed but are not "quick". It appears as though Polk may have that type of quickness.

Bryant Johnson wasn't faster. Drummond was definitely fast. But Chafie Fields in the open field pulled away from everyone and ran a 10+ in the 100 meters

Believe what you want. In the years that Chafie was on the team, I had access to the 40 times that the players ran during preseason camp. Johnson was faster than Fields in the 40. Johnson was a track star in high school, and anchored his team to a victory at the Penn Relays.

Chafie was fast, but not as fast as you seem to think/remember.

The absolute fastest was that kid who kept tripping over various yard lines, generally right after he caught a ball. Forgot his name.

Believe what you want. In the years that Chafie was on the team, I had access to the 40 times that the players ran during preseason camp. Johnson was faster than Fields in the 40. Johnson was a track star in high school, and anchored his team to a victory at the Penn Relays.

Chafie was fast, but not as fast as you seem to think/remember

Then let me ask this. Who was our fastest player not just WR?

Rod Perry was slower than a rock at PSU despite his HS accolades. Deon, Freddie Scott, Michael Timpson, and Scott Fitzkee are the fastest I can remember in the past like 38 years. Drummond, Devon, and Dawkins (RB) didn't ever make the most of their speed despite HS track times. I won't count Ernie Terrell or Sid Lewis due to lack of PT.

The absolute fastest was that kid who kept tripping over various yard lines, generally right after he caught a ball. Forgot his name.

Believe you're referring to Leroy Thompson. Just when he's hit the hole and nothing but green in front of him he always seemed to get nervous or something, put his lean to far forward and fall on his face... Never seemed to fail - he'd hit daylight and proceed to trip forward on his face.

Thank you.

Yes, the guy who got flagged at Syracuse for pointing to the PSU section of crowd after a TD, for unsportsmanlike. OSU did "shush-finger" as recently as last week's VT game and zilch. Franklin should have an hour a day in practice where the guys are admonished to look no one in the eye, ever, if they have the opportunity to score and to beg the officials for the opportunity to play in the next series. We kicked the piss out of Cuse that day but I have to admit I have never seen a flag for pointing into the crowd or the shush-finger before or since.

I don't know what Justin King ran in the 40 but he did start out as a WR so I think he might be in contention.

Kenny Jackson was pretty fast. When with the Eagles his rookie year catch a pass over the middle and run away from the DB, just a beautiful play.

Anybody know where Kenny Jackson is now, thought he went into coaching?
Never mind, just looked it up he is with BTN

Last edited:
Saw Bobby Samuels beat "Rocket" at the PIAA finals. I also believe that Samuels beat Rocket several times during their high school careers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT