ADVERTISEMENT

Warning to all of CFB - Jordan McNair died due to heatstroke

Well heatstroke is one thing, but if all that is true, MD is in deep doodoo for not correctly responding to the symptoms in enough time to get him the help he needed to stay alive

Jeez, ya think they were sitting on that story waiting for this moment?

There is no way he can survive this. A player died, and current players and staff can see why and are speaking up. My guess is he resigns rather quickly.
There better be no way he survives this. I have a degree from Maryland and I think I know the school well enough to say that Durkin leaving is something that has to happen. There is no possible spin to this so let’s just save everyone time and trouble and insist on the only acceptable outcome: Durkin and the strength coach out of their jobs.

There better be no way he survives this. I have a degree from Maryland and I think I know the school well enough to say that Durkin leaving is something that has to happen. There is no possible spin to this so let’s just save everyone time and trouble and insist on the only acceptable outcome: Durkin and the strength coach out of their jobs.

Football, brutal collision sport. Have no problem with a culture of toughness to match the violence of the game, but done in the correct way as men like Joe, O’Brien, Franklin did/continue to do. What it sounds like Maryland tried to build is inept. This is why Maryland will never amount to anything in football - it is endemic.

Because I’m sure Durkin was trying to kill his players.

overreact much? He obviously wasn't trying to kill players, but his program contributed to a player dying. Would you want you son playing for him?

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Durkin didn’t become this way overnight. If there is a lawsuit (likely), don’t you think they’ll look back at his “coaching history”?

Jimmah Harbaugh is probably acting like Fawn Hall this evening.

Sounds like there is going to be video from the McNair practice eventually. Was Durkin also there? The other ESPN piece about toxic environment is another issue all together but this is going to get ugly. Can't see how Durkin isn't out soon. This is kind of thing that cripples a program like UMD. Unfortunate situation.

overreact much? He obviously wasn't trying to kill players, but his program contributed to a player dying. Would you want you son playing for him?

Fair enough, that’s why I deleted my previous comment as you responded. I took the post I responded to at face value and commented off of that.

Well, he sucks balls as a coach so that makes the decision easy for Maryland.

Worked for Urban Meyer at Bowling Green and UF. Suspect he learned some football culture from him. This might actually put even more heat on Urban. When a protégé goes for similar culture...sad.

Last edited:
]

Obviously no. If my kid was there, I would want all MD players to be allowed to transfer and play immediately. Also would want Delany and the NCAA to get involved to protect these kids. Really, what does it take for the NCAA and Delany to get involved?

Reactions: N&B4PSU and tboyer
]

Obviously no. If my kid was there, I would want all MD players to be allowed to transfer and play immediately. Also would want Delany and the NCAA to get involved to protect these kids. Really, what does it take for the NCAA and Delany to get involved?
Don’t forget the $60 mil

This is truly unbelievable having today's guidelines to protect these athletes from heat related illness for this specific reason. Offensive lineman running 110 yard dashes in the current heat index. Why would this be put into the schedule. Durkins mental set "we are going to make you tough" God please intercede in all your power to soothe the pain of the McNair Family.

Throwing things at players in meetings and in practices and workouts. Hmm. Where did we just hear about that, except it was gatorade bottles.

This is truly unbelievable having today's guidelines to protect these athletes from heat related illness for this specific reason. Offensive lineman running 110 yard dashes in the current heat index. Why would this be put into the schedule. Durkins mental set "we are going to make you tough" God please intercede in all your power to soothe the pain of the McNair Family.
(1) Could you provide some of those guidelines concerning heat related illness from power 5 schools?
(2) OL don't run 110 yard dashes in 80 degree weather at power 5 schools?

Sadly this story will be out of the headlines by Monday.

I doubt it. This is inexcusable, it's the most horrific stuff I've read about a college football program in a long time. I think it's worse than the coaching abuse at Rutgers.

It's going to be devastating to Durkin's recruiting, and it should be. Clearly he is feeding kids a load of s--- to get them to sign with Maryland, he has no idea how to develop them or coach them and then blames the players for his own failures.

He will be losing players to Pitt, Rutgers and Temple after this. Kids will take MAC offers before they take Maryland offers. Maryland will be the last choice of players up and down the east coast. What parent would want to put their kid at risk of psychological or physical harm or death?

It's also going to poison them on the field. If players have seen other players abused and humiliated in front of the team, if they're so upset about it that they talked to ESPN, the team will fall apart. Football requires a lot of motivation to play well for four quarters -- how can you motivate kids these days using humilation?

Last edited:
]

What, in particular, involvement do you want the Big 10 or NCAA to do?

ADVERTISEMENT