ADVERTISEMENT

Walsh Ironman Tournament Thread...

So Beard got a #4 seed. Pretty impressive for a 10th grader at 182.

Best of luck to your team at Ironman.

I used to attend this tournament every year in the late 90s, early 2000s. Great atmosphere. Blair, Wyoming Seminary, and Graham look to be the title contenders. I think Graham will win a close race. OPRF appears to be without their top 3 kids (White, Bey, Renteria). Sem is without Weiller. Obviously, Spencer Lee not able to wrestle as well as the heavy from Elyria (Vough) seems out as well. Nevertheless, a ton of great kids. Manville has Iowa recruit Luke Troy in his bracket. Should be fun to watch.

Looks like Hanson and the bigger Lattanze are right on the cusp of being seeded and I would expect that they will do well there. Crane also, but looking at 132, it might be the best weight in the tournament and will be even more of a meat grinder than Ironman brackets usually are.

Thanks guys. The kids are looking forward to this weekend. Here's some more insight...

Beard is looking forward to getting another crack at Reenan in the semis. He lost by one point this past weekend and nearly had a takedown in a scramble to win it. Get your popcorn ready for that re-match, but he must get past a tough #5 seed first. All four top seeds at 182lbs are ranked by Flo in Top 10 in their weights (Beard at 170lbs). Janney (ranked #11 by Flo) should also make a run at 220lbs as the 6th seed. I like his chances, as he got some mat time in between football practices in the fall. We were hoping that Janney wasn't near Zane Black (#3 seed), because Zane and the Phelps kids have been a regular in our room this fall. Always cheering for those kids, when we're not wrestling them.

If Matt Lattanze is placed somewhere other than around the Top 3 seeds early on, then I really like his chances to place. He's a big 138lber and is in great shape right now. I also expect Shane to be fired up and make some noise. If he opens up and stays aggressive, he's gonna make some noise. He's eager to get himself more national recognition, and he'll have his first shot this weekend. PJ was a little flat at the Sem Duals, but I think it had a lot to do with nerves and returning to his former school. He should be more relaxed and open up this weekend, and I agree that 132lbs is loaded.

For more on the preview of the tournament, here's Flowrestling's take on each weight class:

http://www.flowrestling.org/premium/article/38414-2015-walsh-ironman-preview

Reactions: lionlover
Is Beard a possible target for PSU in the future at 197? Excuse my ignorance on this once, really didn't know much about the kid before today but seems like a hell of a wrestler.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Is Beard a possible target for PSU in the future at 197? Excuse my ignorance on this once, really didn't know much about the kid before today but seems like a hell of a wrestler.

He could be. Currently, I see Michael at 184lbs, unless he hits another growth spurt. He's currently making 182lbs comfortably, but he's got two and half more years left in high school. He's already 6ft tall, so he's got the frame to fill out even more.

His older brother is going to PSU for swimming, so Michael has visited multiple times this year. PSU is in great shape with him right now.

He could be. Currently, I see Michael at 184lbs, unless he hits another growth spurt. He's currently making 182lbs comfortably, but he's got two and half more years left in high school. He's already 6ft tall, so he's got the frame to fill out even more.

His older brother is going to PSU for swimming, so Michael has visited multiple times this year. PSU is in great shape with him right now.
that's great news, tjb. thanks

Yes, though hopefully it works out better than the Connor Schram's Sister connection.

Can Beard's brother wrestle 285? (Kidding.)

TJB, dumb question here: Seth Janney at 220 -- thought he was going heavy this year. Is he not going heavy at all this year, or just at Ironman due to better competition at 220 than at 285? Also, is he looking more at football or wrestling for college?

Yes, though hopefully it works out better than the Connor Schram's Sister connection.

Can Beard's brother wrestle 285? (Kidding.)

TJB, dumb question here: Seth Janney at 220 -- thought he was going heavy this year. Is he not going heavy at all this year, or just at Ironman due to better competition at 220 than at 285? Also, is he looking more at football or wrestling for college?

El-Jefe,

Michael's brother used to wrestle for me in 7th & 8th grade, so that's not too far fetched. However, he was a nationally recruited swimmer and will be one of PSU's best swimmers next year as a freshman.

That's not a dumb question at all. Seth is going 220lbs all this year. He knows there's better competition at 220lbs and is seeking it out instead of avoiding it. Seth is definitely going to wrestle in college, despite the fact that he plays TE and DE in football. He will definitely be a HWT, as he's 6-3ft. I see him being a HWT at 240lbs for us next year, as he played football between 230-235lbs this year. We're going to get some calls about him this year, because he'll get more national exposure wrestling at Ironman, Beast and ETR. It also helps that he's got 5 former college wrestlers (PSU, PSU, PSU, Pitt-JT & F&M) as his coaches, who are all under the age of 35 and have connections to college coaches. We also got former PSU HWT, Nick Ruggear, on our staff this year, which will help him tremendously as a practice partner.

Some results:

R1: Beard win by fall at 2:55
R2: Beard win by fall at 1:38
He'll face Zach Blackiston, of Massillon (OH) in the quarters
Unfortunately for him, he's in the top bracket with Nick Reenan (Wyom. Sem.)

145:
R1: Jarod Verkleeren dec. over Ryan Krause (Franklin Reg., PA), 14-6
R2: Jarod Verkleeren dec. over Peter Ferraro (Marmion Acad, IL), 18-6

220:
R1: Seth Janney win by fall at 0:31
R2: Seth Janney dec. over Cole Rickert (Reynolds, PA), 13-4
He'll face Zane Black (Phelps School) in the quarters. Kind of unfortunate for each of them, in that the schools are next door to each other, and they travel all the way to OH and have to face each other

TrackWrestling has the results. I just picked a few guys that have been discussed on the board to post results of.

152 - Mason Manville:
R1: Manville TF Spencer Haught (Walsh Jesuit OH) 17-1, 4:00
R2: Manville TF Dakota Goff (Steubenville OH) 16-1, 3:23
next: quarters vs. Jack Conway (St. Ed's OH)

BTW, 182 top seed Nick Reenan's R1 victim was -- I am NOT making this up! -- Sam Wyche from Cincinnati (Moeller HS). I wonder what kind of reception he got at the tournament in Cleveland ...

Oh-by-the-way, King of the Mountain is also this weekend, and the 138 bracket is loaded. Looking at a monster final of Luke Pletcher vs. Sammy Sasso, but both have challenges first. Pletcher likely gets Riley Palmer (Council Rock South) in the semis. Sasso gets Joey Gould (Beca) in the quarters and then John Pipa (Bishop McDevitt) in the semis.

Quite a few other big names there: Jordan Wood, Luke Karam, etc. Summary, list of quarters matchups, and brackets HERE.

Pletcher 7-5 OT over Sasso in the KOM finals.

Wood also got pushed by Jake Robb in the finals, 7-5.

bump

I thought I remembered tjb informing us of young Mr. Beard a few years ago! Sounds like he's gotten some great coaching these past two years.

Reactions: Gebmo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT