ADVERTISEMENT

W-L record of teams who allow 350+ yards rushing in a game?

djm_psu_alum

Nov 30, 2016
I don't know this answer. I'm really trying to find it but no luck so far. Any of you able to find it?

Yes, I watched the same game as all of you and I know the D only allowed 10 points. But the rushing success, regardless of points, was able to build the confidence of ILL, which is what some are overlooking when they only point "D only allowed 10 points." Much of the blame of this is on the offensive line and coaching stuff but if the defense could have been halfway decent against the run, it would have forced ILL to pass where they were really hurting. The rushing--even if it didn't produce points--created situations where they were able to get some yards and put PSU in long fields via punt. Not including the INT on opening drive--the D didn't force one 3 & out. 3 & outs for a team like that could have been demoralizing and forced them to adjust but they never needed to.

So back to my question--anyone know where we can find this stat?

Reactions: psu00
Defense has nothing to do with this loss. Holding them to 10 points should have meant a 30 point win. This is all on offense side of ball
Really! Stop their running game and winning becomes much easier. Their running game gave them a huge time of possession and field position advantage.

Reactions: searay26 and psu00
Really! Stop their running game and winning becomes much easier. Their running game gave them a huge time of possession and field position advantage.
Sure, why didn’t the defense just pitch a shutout despite being on the field for 36 minutes?

I can’t fathom how people can even begin the think the defense was a problem in this game unless they think the defense should have just played both sides of the ball.

That worked great when they ran for 15-20 yards on the first play.
And yet it didn't translate to a "field position advantage" for them.

Our defense created 3 turnovers, and held them to 20 points over 60 minutes of play, 2 overtime possessions where they started from our 25, and 7 additional two-point conversion attempts.

But it should have been on our defense to "make things easier" to win (and not give them that huge "field position advantage)?

The three turnovers might have a bearing on that stat.
Yes. and the offense only managed 3 points with them. again not the defense's fault. Scoring 21 points off turnovers forces Illinois to get away from the run. again not the d's fault.

Obviously.

But I'm sure we can't give coach Pry or our defense any credit for causing them.
Of course i give them credit for the turnovers. I guess we can't give them any blame for allowing 350 yards rushing.
I'm not making excuses for the offense, it was bad. But excusing the defense and placing all the blame on the offense is wrong.

If anything the ILL run game and TOP domination should have given the staff extra time to figure out how to get a drive going. But I guess that was too much to ask considering they didn't seem to figure anything out in the 2 weeks they had to prepare.

Yes. and the offense only managed 3 points with them. again not the defense's fault. Scoring 21 points off turnovers forces Illinois to get away from the run. again not the d's fault.
That loss was a team effort. Both were bad.

That loss was a team effort. Both were bad.
We could have given up 500+ rushing yards and I wouldn't consider it a bad defensive effort when they give the offense a couple of short fields while creating 3 turnovers, and held the other team to 20 points over 60 minutes, 2 OT drives from our 25, and 7 two point conversions.

The most legendary defensive performance of my lifetime involved the other team moving the ball up and down the field and killing us on the stat sheet, but causing a whole bunch of turnovers and stopping them when it mattered.

Reactions: PSU Mike
We could have given up 500+ rushing yards and I wouldn't consider it a bad defensive effort when they give the offense a couple of short fields while creating 3 turnovers, and held the other team to 20 points over 60 minutes, 2 OT drives from our 25, and 7 two point conversions.

The most legendary defensive performance of my lifetime involved the other team moving the ball up and down the field and killing us on the stat sheet, but causing a whole bunch of turnovers and stopping them when it mattered.
The most legendary defense of my lifetime was allowing a high scoring Missouri offense three points. Thanks to our great defensive performance our offense only had to score 10.

The most legendary defense of my lifetime was allowing a high scoring Missouri offense three points. Thanks to our great defensive performance our offense only had to score 10.
That was 51 years ago :rolleyes:

Can’t reason with your type. Doesn’t mean you can’t be a benefit to society if you find the right niche.

Let me pose this. If our defense had given up 450 yards rushing but only 6 points in regulation, would that performance have been better or worse? How about if we gave up 250 yards rushing and 17 points — better or worse than the actual outcome?

Let me pose this. If our defense had given up 450 yards rushing but only 6 points in regulation, would that performance have been better or worse? How about if we gave up 250 yards rushing and 17 points — better or worse than the actual outcome?
I'll play along...when ranking defensive performances, I usually start with points allowed, so I'll go with the 450 yards and 6 points.

I don't know this answer. I'm really trying to find it but no luck so far. Any of you able to find it?

Yes, I watched the same game as all of you and I know the D only allowed 10 points. But the rushing success, regardless of points, was able to build the confidence of ILL, which is what some are overlooking when they only point "D only allowed 10 points." Much of the blame of this is on the offensive line and coaching stuff but if the defense could have been halfway decent against the run, it would have forced ILL to pass where they were really hurting. The rushing--even if it didn't produce points--created situations where they were able to get some yards and put PSU in long fields via punt. Not including the INT on opening drive--the D didn't force one 3 & out. 3 & outs for a team like that could have been demoralizing and forced them to adjust but they never needed to.

So back to my question--anyone know where we can find this stat?
You know what would have forced Illinois to pass? Scoring some points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT