ADVERTISEMENT

VW owners:

VW May Build Vehicles at U.S. Ford Plants
Executive Chairman Bill Ford said the negotiations are going well, but that they weren't ready to announce anything.
Tom Krisher
Herbert_Deiss_AP.5c07ea7c0c5c8.jpg

REDFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Ford and Volkswagen are in talks about building VW vehicles in some of Ford's U.S. factories.

VW CEO Herbert Diess told reporters after a meeting at the White House that the automaker in talks with Ford. The meeting was held Tuesday with executives from VW, BMW and Daimler to discuss trade issues.

Ford CEO Jim Hackett confirmed the VW talks Tuesday and Executive Chairman Bill Ford said the negotiations are going well. But both said they weren't ready to announce anything.

Hackett wouldn't say that Ford has excess factory capacity that could be used to build VWs, but said he is happy with the way his company utilizes its factories.

"We really manage that tightly," he said. "I'm really proud of where we are and our utilization right now."

The announcement comes a week after rival General Motors announced plans to close as many as five plants in the U.S. and Canada and lay off up to 14,000 white- and blue-collar workers.

Hackett said Ford has been able to avoid such announcements by running its operations mainly on three shifts.

"I'm really happy with where we are," he said at the company's holiday party at a manufacturing research facility in Redford Township, Michigan, near Detroit. "We're in great shape," he said.

VW has said it's considering a new U.S. factory to build electric vehicles that the company plans for the future.

The company now builds SUVs and the Volkswagen Passat midsize car at a factory in Chattanooga, Tennessee, but imports the rest of its vehicles.

Ford and VW also are in talks about an alliance to build commercial vehicles that could lead to other ventures.

Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas wrote in a note to investors Monday that Ford could lay off as many as 25,000 workers as it restructures to make itself leaner and more able to compete in a changing automotive market that includes electric and autonomous vehicles.

Neither Hackett nor Ford would say if Jonas' number was too high, but Hackett said the number did not come from Ford.

Bill Ford said it bothers him that many employees are worried about losing their jobs under the $11 billion restructuring, which is to come in several waves starting next year.

"Anytime we do anything that is negative to them or their families I feel it personally," he said. "We're taking great care as we go through our business plan to make sure that we engage people early, talk to them, explain to them. If we have to do something we want to do it the right way."

Ford said he was not bothered by Diess disclosing the factory discussions, noting that the VW chief was at the White House to talk about building vehicles in the U.S.

President Donald Trump is trying to pressure the German automakers into opening more factories in the U.S. and has threatened tariffs on imported vehicles.

Trump "shared his vision of all automakers producing in the United States and creating a more business-friendly environment," the White House said in a statement about the meeting Tuesday.

Toyota Chief Says Car Sales are Close to Bottoming Out
Toyota's car sales are down nearly 12 percent through October.
AUTHORS Tom Krisher

DETROIT (AP) — Toyota's top U.S. executive says car sales nationwide have nearly bottomed out and his company will keep making them despite a dramatic shift to trucks and SUVs.

U.S. CEO Jim Lentz told the Detroit Economic Club Wednesday that car sales fell below 30 percent of sales last month, and he thinks that's close to the bottom.

While Fiat Chrysler, Ford and General Motors are canceling many car models, Lentz doesn't see that happening with Toyota. Consumers are still buying more than 4 million compact, midsize and near-luxury cars each year, he said. "There's no way I'm going to walk away from that," Lentz said. "We are always going to have a bias toward passenger cars."

Nationwide, passenger car sales are on pace to be 800,000 vehicles below 2017, while truck and SUV sales should increase by the same amount. Low fuel prices, ease of entry and exit, and ample storage space have fueled an SUV sales boom that has accelerated during the past two years.

Toyota's car sales are down nearly 12 percent through October while truck and SUV sales are up 8 percent.

Lentz said that U.S. car sales this year probably will fall below what they were in 2010 during the financial crisis. "There is a depression on the passenger car side," he said.

Still, Toyota will stay in the market with its midsize Camry, a new compact Corolla and other models. It even plans to add a model next year when it revives the Supra sports car, he said.

Toyota made the high-performance Supra from 1978 to 2002, according to its website. The company plans to unveil the new Supra next month at the North American International Auto show in Detroit.

Associated Press

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — Tesla's battery factory in northern Nevada has created more than 7,000 jobs — 40 percent more than promised — and an additional 8,200 jobs in other local businesses since it opened east of Reno in 2014.

The Governor's Office of Economic Development said in a report Wednesday 7,059 employees were working in the Tesla/Panasonic gigafactory as of June 30 with average hourly wages of $25.78.

The report says the companies have invested $6 billion in the factory that produces high-tech batteries for electric vehicles and home-power supplies.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk pledged to employ 5,000 in exchange for more than $1 billion in state tax incentives.

Gov. Brian Sandoval says the world-class facility has disrupted the automotive and energy industries in just four years. In addition to jobs, he says it has "had an extraordinary effect on perceptions about Nevada."

View image on Twitter

GOED@DiversifyNevada

The Tesla Gigafactory #1 is an incredible success story for the New Nevada. Tesla and its partners including Panasonic have hired over 7000 people and made an investment of more than $6 billion in Nevada! You can read more about their economic impact here, http://bit.ly/2Eg5T94

4:41 PM - Dec 5, 2018

The whole idea that people are moving away from cars and into trucks and SUVs is perplexing to me. It seems to fly in the face of the move towards better gas mileage and less pollution.

The whole idea that people are moving away from cars and into trucks and SUVs is perplexing to me. It seems to fly in the face of the move towards better gas mileage and less pollution.
Well, there is no way that a larger %age of our population needs 4wd or the extra cargo/passenger space of an SUV. I know I pissed people off when I called it lifestyle signaling the other day, but that seems to be the only explanation.

Well, there is no way that a larger %age of our population needs 4wd or the extra cargo/passenger space of an SUV. I know I pissed people off when I called it lifestyle signaling the other day, but that seems to be the only explanation.
I dont know, but how do you get into a car? And how do you get into a truck/SUV?? Now think about the demographics of our population.
Hints ( you step down to get into a car, and step up to get into a truck/SUV and we have an aging population)

I purchased a Toyota Avalon Hybrid 6 months ago at 22% off of MSRP. That included a $5,000 rebate. 38 mpg combined.
Best car I have ever owned.No one is buying sedans.

Toyota Chief Says Car Sales are Close to Bottoming Out
Toyota's car sales are down nearly 12 percent through October.
AUTHORS Tom Krisher

DETROIT (AP) — Toyota's top U.S. executive says car sales nationwide have nearly bottomed out and his company will keep making them despite a dramatic shift to trucks and SUVs.

U.S. CEO Jim Lentz told the Detroit Economic Club Wednesday that car sales fell below 30 percent of sales last month, and he thinks that's close to the bottom.

While Fiat Chrysler, Ford and General Motors are canceling many car models, Lentz doesn't see that happening with Toyota. Consumers are still buying more than 4 million compact, midsize and near-luxury cars each year, he said. "There's no way I'm going to walk away from that," Lentz said. "We are always going to have a bias toward passenger cars."

Nationwide, passenger car sales are on pace to be 800,000 vehicles below 2017, while truck and SUV sales should increase by the same amount. Low fuel prices, ease of entry and exit, and ample storage space have fueled an SUV sales boom that has accelerated during the past two years.

Toyota's car sales are down nearly 12 percent through October while truck and SUV sales are up 8 percent.

Lentz said that U.S. car sales this year probably will fall below what they were in 2010 during the financial crisis. "There is a depression on the passenger car side," he said.

Still, Toyota will stay in the market with its midsize Camry, a new compact Corolla and other models. It even plans to add a model next year when it revives the Supra sports car, he said.

Toyota made the high-performance Supra from 1978 to 2002, according to its website. The company plans to unveil the new Supra next month at the North American International Auto show in Detroit.

To be honest Toyota's car line is pretty blahh.
The new Corolla Hatch has possibilities but, INMO, is under powered.

I purchased a Toyota Avalon Hybrid 6 months ago at 22% off of MSRP. That included a $5,000 rebate. 38 mpg combined.
Best car I have ever owned.No one is buying sedans.
I own a Lincoln MKZ hybrid that gets 40 mpg. Not a lot of storage space because the battery takes up space and not overly powerful (which I don't care but some people might). Otherwise a great car. I'm surprised by the push to all electric when hybrid technology is proven.

Reactions: step.eng69
Meh they’re just saying the last generation of engines will be rolled out in 2026. That’s two generations away for most of the lineup.

Reactions: demlion
I would be happy to haul my stuff in a nonpolluting, electric pickup truck. But the SOB has to have some guts.

Meh they’re just saying the last generation of engines will be rolled out in 2026. That’s two generations away for most of the lineup.

that doesn't sound crazy. i think the total amount of cars sold is going to start going down due to the ride sharing and once that becomes autonomous with no driver, i think you'll see a huge shift to one car families as the cost of ride sharing will go down substantially. electric cars are coming. VW basically saying that they think electric cars are going to be what is sold in 2030 and beyond which doesn't sound strange to me.

So how long is a generation of engines?

Varies but the ea888 in my car has been in various cars since 2012 or 2013 and is in everything from jettas and golfs costing less than 20k to Audi a5s and Porsche macans that cost more than 50. You’ll probably still see it in 2025 model year cars so an engine released in 2026 could still be viable til 2040. I don’t necessarily believe they’ll stick to this timeline anyway. It’s a good headline now but meaningless. Vw owns porsche and Porsche prints money. Porsche isn’t going to cease engine development in 8 years. Ditto for Lamborghini.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I dont know, but how do you get into a car? And how do you get into a truck/SUV?? Now think about the demographics of our population.
Hints ( you step down to get into a car, and step up to get into a truck/SUV and we have an aging population)

Not just that, for me, I don't want to drive with my knees hitting the dash, and reclining the seat back and having to fully extend my arms to avoid driving with my head cockeyed.

Varies but the ea888 in my car has been in various cars since 2012 or 2013 and is in everything from jettas and golfs costing less than 20k to Audi a5s and Porsche macans that cost more than 50. You’ll probably still see it in 2025 model year cars so an engine released in 2026 could still be viable til 2040. I don’t necessarily believe they’ll stick to this timeline anyway. It’s a good headline now but meaningless. Vw owns porsche and Porsche prints money. Porsche isn’t going to cease engine development in 8 years. Ditto for Lamborghini.
Im starting to think that once I’m actually able to afford even a used Porsche 911, internal combustion engines won’t be legal anymore.

That’s EXACTLY what it is... Meanwhile I brought THIS home to my wife on Tuesday :)

Thank god nobody but me was shopping for a station wagon.... 27% off MSRP fully loaded...

Carries as much as an SUV
HANDLES wayyyyy better than an SUV
33mpg highway
Tires cost half as much as those on an SUV
Wayyyyy cooler than a sedan...

A 737 flying from NYC to lax uses more gas than my 12 yr old ram w/150k miles ever has.

I don't like small cars, never will.

That’s EXACTLY what it is... Meanwhile I brought THIS home to my wife on Tuesday :)

Thank god nobody but me was shopping for a station wagon.... 27% off MSRP fully loaded...

Carries as much as an SUV
HANDLES wayyyyy better than an SUV
33mpg highway
Tires cost half as much as those on an SUV
Wayyyyy cooler than a sedan...
Two questions my man:
1) Is that thing AWD?
2) Are those winter tires? You will need those since it it December! ;);)BBWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! ;););)

Gotta be a contortionist to get in some newer cars.

Two questions my man:
1) Is that thing AWD?
2) Are those winter tires? You will need those since it it December! ;);)BBWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! ;););)

No AWD (waste of $$$)
Michelin XIce snow/ice tires arrived today on my stoop from TireRack ... they will go on tomorrow :)

SUVs and pick up trucks are the majority of the vehicles around where I live .... and lots of people struggling to drive a vehicle of that size ....

We downsized from a Honda Ridgeline to a Lexus NX300. The new vehicle gets pretty good gas mileage. My wife likes sitting up higher when she drives, so we went with a small SUV. I would have been fine with a sedan (coupe) since we hardly ever have more than two people in the car.

A lot of the seniors around here, talking about 70’s and up, drive minivans because of ease of entry and cargo carrying capacity.

ADVERTISEMENT