voting rights

dailybuck777

Jan 2, 2018
She did not have an ID because she never drove a car.
Hard to believe she doesn't have an ID. Whether she worked on her own or her husband worked, it is highly probable that she has a social security number and a social security card. Additionally, most, if not all states, provide alternate identification for people who don't have drivers licenses. I know that Ohio does.

Reactions: Hotshoe

PSUEngineer89

Aug 14, 2021
Hard to believe she doesn't have an ID. Whether she worked on her own or her husband worked, it is highly probable that she has a social security number and a social security card. Additionally, most, if not all states, provide alternate identification for people who don't have drivers licenses. I know that Ohio does.
My anecdote always puts my viewpoint in the best possible light too.

Funny how that works.

He is probably just lying.

NBD.

junior1

May 29, 2001
Not being snarky, but serious question....most grandmothers are on medicare and get prescription drugs,,,,need ID for both...also need ID for social security. How does she manage those without ID

BW Lion

Apr 9, 2020
My grandmother, who never missed an election, needed help voting. She kept apprised of the issues and candidates and was informed. She did not have an ID because she never drove a car. She needed a polling place nearby because she was not ambulatory and did not always have a ride. If her registration got screwed up because she moved she did not have the energy or confidence to get that matter straightened out. But her family came to this country through Ellis Island and became loyal, hardworking, military service types of citizens. She needed help to vote and you sir should respect that.
Why did she never learn to drive a vehicle? Was your Grandfather a male chauvinist?

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
I found ferretti's grandmother

Driving-Miss-Daisy.jpg

Alphalion75

Oct 24, 2001
Alpharetta, GA
In Lincoln County the blacks live in the rural areas and lack transportation. This is well thought out. The polling places being closed are those that mostly serve the areas where the blacks live. Rather than spend a little money to keep them open, they simply close them. Why? Because a lack of air conditioning. Really.
By the way, the Lincoln County Elections Director is a black woman. Lilvendor Bolton. She is appalled by the attacks on her and the voting laws in Georgia quoting her..."...this story is that I'm just after back people, and I'm not going to let them vote........and you know, it's crazy."

ao5884

Oct 1, 2019
Ok. Since you apparently want no new voting bill, which is consistent with what the R's have offered, perhaps we just go back to Section V of the Voting Rights Act. You are familiar with that I am sure because it was approved by Congress with increasing vote margins every time it came up for reauthorization. R's overwhelmingly supported Section V preclearance laws. It worked beautifully, with about 98% of state voting law changes approved, until the activist, Conservative Supreme Court decided that it was a PUBLIC POLICY no longer needed. Surely you can support Section V and restore the bipartisan approach to voting rights.
If you are a citizen of legal age you can vote (felons excluded) can you not?

Reactions: bourbon n blues

PSUEngineer89

Aug 14, 2021
No honest, intelligent person thinks anyone is being prevented from voting.

Saying otherwise is just an act of intellectual dishonesty.

Is it harder for an 87 year old to vote than a 25 year old? Of course.

That's the nature of life.

But the truth is, we need less voters.

It is, when you think about it, ridiculous that any government employee or person living off the government gets to vote.

Of course, they are simply going to vote for themselves, which means voting "D".

PSUEngineer89

Aug 14, 2021
Not being snarky, but serious question....most grandmothers are on medicare and get prescription drugs,,,,need ID for both...also need ID for social security. How does she manage those without ID
Some people have observed that anecdotes have the unique property of agreeing PRECISELY with the storyteller's desired worldview.

🤷‍♂️

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
How about we make Election Day a National holiday so people working two shifts can get to the polls. Surely you democracy loving Republicans would support that. What’s more important than voting right?
How about you answer a single question. Show where people cannot vote? Georgia expanded their voting availability, unlike PA, DE, NY, and NJ. They have more availability than all four.

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
In Lincoln County Georgia (30% black) all but one of the polling places are being closed. I think it is 8 out of 9. The only rationale given is that the polling places either lack air conditioning or are not ADA compliant. Rather than spend the money to address the conditions of the polling places in a state that runs a state budget surplus the local jackwagons choose to close the polling places. That will undeniably hurt the black vote in a state where the margins are razor thin. What's happening on the local levels has one design in mind.
Seriously? There are 7,600 total people in the entire county. Maybe 35% of that total, actually vote.

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
So let's get this straight. People in the rural South cannot get ID'S and they lack transportation. Yeah, how do all those kids get to ballgames? How do those people get to grocery stores? Total bullsh&t.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Just like you have nothing but scant, small case incidents of voting fraud (some of which are R's tying to cheat). Your concern for systematic, fraud affecting the outcomes of elections is misplaced and unsupported, as was evident in numerous court failings last time. Perhaps you can justify the newly enacted voting practice laws that offers solutions in search of a problem. But I doubt it.

The sole purpose of the bill is to make ballot harvesting legal in every state so the left can "help" people vote...........

Period. The left is deathly afraid of 2022 and 2024 because of the miserable failure of your "placeholder".....