ADVERTISEMENT

Visiting for Wisconsin game this fall...

badger1979

Feb 12, 2007
Hey Penn State fans. I come in peace.

I will be making the trip to Beaver Stadium for the first time this fall to see my Badgers play Penn State. We are coming from Philly so we'll probably drive up on Friday. Any tips on where to stay/what to eat/what to do? Thanks in advance!

I will be making the trip to Beaver Stadium for the first time this fall to see my Badgers play Penn State. We are coming from Philly so we'll probably drive up on Friday. Any tips on where to stay/what to eat/what to do? Thanks in advance!

You might be fortunate to get a room in Williamsport and drive 1n hour and 15 minutes.

Reactions: step.eng69
Stay in State College, but be prepared to pay a steep premium on your room.

You're better off in Harrisburg as there isn't much to pick from once you get out of the Harrisburg area until you get to State College.

Just get your parking pass early. Get one online (ticketmaster) once they go on sale. It'll save you $40.

You might be fortunate to get a room in Williamsport and drive 1n hour and 15 minutes.
Why drive through Harrisburg then another 80 miles to Williamsport? You about 15 miles closer to State College than you were in Harrisburg. Better to stay in Harrisburg.

Why drive through Harrisburg then another 80 miles to Williamsport? You about 15 miles closer to State College than you were in Harrisburg. Better to stay in Harrisburg.
You might be right. He would be 1 hr 40 minutes from Harrisburg, even closer from Lewisburg.

First of all thanks for visiting the site, and welcome in advance to Happy Valley!

I highly recommend staying in State College for the weekend. Hotels will be pricey with such a rare visit from within the conference, particularly if both teams are highly ranked. Figure $400-$600 per night, 2-night minimum, for your basic 2-star hotel in town. If you have a group of 6+ I'd consider renting a house for the weekend. Either way it's a totally different experience compared to driving into town on game day. That's the first question to answer. You'll want to make your reservation now-ish.

Downtown State College is fairly compact and very walkable, and you really can't lose if you just wander around. Between College Ave and Calder Way that runs parallel half a block over, you have 50 places to eat, and probably 20 bars. Even though it will be cold (by PA standards) the town should be jumping pretty good and you'll have a great time.

For game day, keep in mind that it's a 20-minute walk from Beaver Stadium to town, so get anything you need for tailgating on Friday.

Edit: Toftrees is a great place to day. Showing $599/night on Expedia
https://www.expedia.com/Hotel-Searc...1/09/2018&endDate=11/11/2018&rooms=1&adults=2

Last edited:
You're still going to pay a premium on the 2-star places around Lewistown.

Although there is a brand new Holiday Inn Express in Milroy.

The visitor should understand the rules of engagement before sending him off to Chumley's :)

"The signal has been around for decades in the United States and Europe. Generally, one person initiates contact by tapping his foot in a way that's visible beneath the stall divider. If the second person responds with a similar tap, the initiator moves his foot closer to the other person's stall. If the other person makes a similar move, the first will inch closer yet again. The pair usually goes through the whole process a few times, just to confirm that the signals aren't an accident.

Next, one of the men will slide his hand under the divider. This usually means he's inviting the other person to present himself, as if to say, "Show me what you got." The partner can respond by kneeling on the floor and presenting his penis or rear end underneath the divider. Or he can swipe his own hand under the divider, as if to say, "You go first." Some married men make a point of displaying their wedding band (like Sen. Craig allegedly did) to make themselves more alluring."

:eek:

So you don’t present a set of tongs under the divider? :eek:

if the visitor is seriously looking for quarters, he should follow your advice and start calling motels from harrisburg to lewistown, there are several. I googled the map and used the lodging or whatever function to find motels in the travel route you provided.
Agree. My point was that driving 80 miles to get a few miles closer doesn't make sense.

Hey big guy, your asking the wrong person. I don't place my tongue on anything tongs would be needed. I didn't create the rules of engagement....notice those two little things, place up in the air before and after the rules. :)

You scared the hell out of me. No way I’m ever using a public restroom again. I’m amazed I ever did in the first place, but I never knew about the “rules of engagement” until today. Holy crap.

I am suddenly reminded of this classic scene:

Is Selinsgrove an option for a football weekend hotel?

Only 60 miles to SC if you go up to Mifflinburg and pick up Rt. 45

Lewisburg is a beautiful town with multiple options for lodging. Only 55 miles up Beautiful Route 192 to Happy Valley

Looks like both the Hampton and Hilton Garden Inn down the hill from Beaver Stadium are available that weekend. Price, $500-$550 pre tax per night for one room double occupancy. I wouldn't wait too long to book it if you want to stay that close. FYI, I was only looking at Hilton-related hotels. Good luck (except for the game, of course).

Madison is a great B10 town... You are finally going to visit one that's better than it! Unfortunately to really enjoy what State College has to offer, you need to stay downtown... which will be impossible to very expensive. Make it a point to visit the Rathskeller.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Hope to have the hotel booked by the end of the week. We were hoping to not have to drive into Happy Valley on gameday, but reading your responses it looks like that may be a necessity.

I look forward to the trip...it's hard to believe Wisconsin hasn't visited Happy Valley since 2012. We actually had a pretty good little rivalry brewing for awhile with you guys.

The visitor should understand the rules of engagement before sending him off to Chumley's :)

"The signal has been around for decades in the United States and Europe. Generally, one person initiates contact by tapping his foot in a way that's visible beneath the stall divider. If the second person responds with a similar tap, the initiator moves his foot closer to the other person's stall. If the other person makes a similar move, the first will inch closer yet again. The pair usually goes through the whole process a few times, just to confirm that the signals aren't an accident.

Next, one of the men will slide his hand under the divider. This usually means he's inviting the other person to present himself, as if to say, "Show me what you got." The partner can respond by kneeling on the floor and presenting his penis or rear end underneath the divider. Or he can swipe his own hand under the divider, as if to say, "You go first." Some married men make a point of displaying their wedding band (like Sen. Craig allegedly did) to make themselves more alluring."
Holy shiat...:eek::eek:

step.eng69 said:

I could’ve gone the rest of my life without knowing this info. :confused:

Reactions: cment
if you leave 6 hours before kickoff it takes =/- 75 min from Harrisburg. for a noon game I leave at 6 and get there before 7:20. if you leave at 7 it is 120 min

You've got a new construction zone this year, so that'll slow things down

Lewisburg is a beautiful town with multiple options for lodging. Only 55 miles up Beautiful Route 192 to Happy Valley

I absolutely love Lewisburg, my great aunt lived there for most of her 105 years before she passed in 1999.

The problem is that the Lewisburg area hotels and home rentals often have the Bucknell football crowds fighting for the same space as the PSU football crowds.

Madison is a great B10 town... You are finally going to visit one that's better than it! Unfortunately to really enjoy what State College has to offer, you need to stay downtown... which will be impossible to very expensive. Make it a point to visit the Rathskeller.

I actually think the beer and food options are better in Madison.

I’m amazed I ever did in the first place, but I never knew about the “rules of engagement” until today. Holy crap.

Holy shiat...:eek::eek:
I remember reading about a similar incident that happened at Camp Randell during a football game. I was looking for, but couldn't find the article. then this behaviour became more publitized when like Sen. Craig allegedly did this at an airport.

Anyway, we played Wisconsin at the Beaver that year. While I was taking a wiz in the urinal, jokingly, I said to the guy that steped up to the unit next to me.."If you start tapping you foot, I'm going to piss all over it". Apparently, the guy had no clue of what I was talking about and moved to another urinal.

Maybe this year I'll bring a pair of tongs and pair them with my tally whacker in the restroom. :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT