ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova LB Forrest Rhyne........

BUCKSCOUNTYLION

Jun 9, 2001
I think had 14 tackles against PSU in September and had 21 in Nova's playoff win against Holy Cross Friday night. This is an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer about him this morning. See his comments about playing PSU's offense. See below.

I think had 14 tackles against PSU in September and had 21 in Nova's playoff win against Holy Cross Friday night. This is an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer about him this morning. See his comments about playing PSU's offense. See below.

Sounds like an awesome kid and a good LB. Maybe Franklin should hire him after he is done playing.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Basically...he claims that he and the entire Nova defense knew what was coming against PSU.

It talked the predictability of a QB draw and theoretically if they knew what was coming that was illegal colluda loohaw limbo letting #5 and even #3 make ya burnt toast and even scrampled eggs like that. It was even all up in ya Saltsquatch beard. That aint Cincinatti Bearcat Boi speed.

Yeah but how? Are we that obvious or predictable?
Hard to say and he wouldn't say in the interview.

I've seen/read interviews with defensive players about this subject. It could be something as miniscule as how the line positions their hands or the angle a player lines up at. Especially now with all the cameras and film quality, every detail is looked at. Breaking down film to that level of detail is crazy, but it apparently works.

Have said before that one of the easiest jobs in the athletic world is being a Defensive Coordinator planning for PSU!

It almost doesn't seem possible that a team could go through multiple OCs and position coaches - basically we've turned over almost the entire side of the coaching staff in recent years - and be "consistently" predictable. I'd have to wonder if it is something in how Clifford behaves/speaks/plays

Reactions: The Spin Meister
It almost doesn't seem possible that a team could go through multiple OCs and position coaches - basically we've turned over almost the entire side of the coaching staff in recent years - and be "consistently" predictable. I'd have to wonder if it is something in how Clifford behaves/speaks/plays
A lot of it is where certain players line up, or how they are in their stance. Like you said with all the OC turn over it is mind boggling that it continues to happen.

It is kind of concerning that Penn States coaches have become that predictable.
Yes…but different coordinators over the years…perhaps someone was tipping something…maybe even Cliff?

Even if they knew the exact play, PSU should be able to run all over Nova.

In any case, I hope JF or MY see this player’s comment. If Villanova has this level of insight, then all our opponents did.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Yes…but different coordinators over the years…perhaps someone was tipping something…maybe even Cliff?

Even if they knew the exact play, PSU should be able to run all over Nova.
Could be something simple like Clifford claps his hands coming out of the huddle on pass plays. Or looks to a certain receiver. Or the center doing something. Doubt it is a formation thing as there are so many formations used. Most likely it is Clifford as it has be someone that is always in on offense. And he is rarely off the field on offense.

No one knows whether Rhyne is telling the truth except Rhyne. His ability to predict plays obviously didn’t help Villanova that day against the pass. One thing I do remember about Rhyne is that he ran his mouth during and after the game. He looked like a little dog trying to prove that he belonged in a pack with the big dogs. He didn’t.

Reactions: 4382
Basically...he claims that he and the entire Nova defense knew what was coming against PSU.
Most of us did, this year. I was actually ecstatic when i was wrong. And I'm not watching film, so i'm not catching the little nuances that tip off another team.

It would be of interest to know if it was the way an OL would tip his head or place his feet.. or if the rb or even qb did something consistently simple to figure out. They had to see it on film and when they saw it during the game... boom.

Even so, we have much better players who made the difference.... but if they can do it...

How about we had a vanilla game plan vs Villanova? Saving exotic plays for other opponents. If you keep it generic then it’s easy to figure out.

Reactions: TFBaum

You may not remember, but Sandusky used to intensely watch film and often could find someone who was signaling the plays.

LOL. I think I will throw the BS flag. If we are running an RPO, there is no way they know if it is a run/pass unless they are baiting us to run or throw the ball. Unless it is as simple as hey we lined up with 6 men in the box on 1st down and we know they are going to run on us, and PSU should be able to run successfully with those numbers.

Reactions: bison13
Hard to say and he wouldn't say in the interview.

I've seen/read interviews with defensive players about this subject. It could be something as miniscule as how the line positions their hands or the angle a player lines up at. Especially now with all the cameras and film quality, every detail is looked at. Breaking down film to that level of detail is crazy, but it apparently works.
More likely it was Villanova and PSU wasn't trying to hide what they were doing. Figured they could line up and run right at them.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I remember an ND lineman saying the same thing back in the 80s. I call BS since we somehow managed to beat them 8 out of the 12 games in the series.

Reactions: MacNit07 and psuro
We were predictable because we could not run much. Any offense that isn’t very good is predictable

But they still couldn’t stop it right? Guess all you want but if you don’t stop the play then it doesn’t really matter.
I think the comment is being dismissed too easily. It was far from a clean game for PSU against inferior competition. There is something to this.

In any case, I hope JF or MY see this player’s comment. If Villanova has this level of insight, then all our opponents did.

I think the comment is being dismissed too easily. It was far from a clean game for PSU against inferior competition. There is something to this.
And actually it does matter if there is a "tell" since you can presume other teams will spot it and be better able to capitalize.

Of course, our coaches might spot it (would hope so) and could use it to trick the opponent... and so forth. lol.

.I think just the opposite- some people are making a bigger deal of it than it needs to be.
Why would this nova player make that statement? There’s no purpose for him to make that up. And why did we only beat that lower division team by 21 points? There must be a “tell” of some sort that the opponents picked up on.

Ever occur to you that PSU ran predictable plays because that’s all they needed to do to beat ‘Nova? Geez.
I wasn’t referring just to the Nova game. It has been pointed out by other teams in previous years, big ten included.
After I got to thinking about it, it dawned on me how much it had been pointed out. That’s why I mentioned being predictable.

Maybe it’s just because I am a PSU fan and hear more about it with PSU. I’m sure if you sat down and watched film nonstop you could always find a tiny habit in anyone.

Last edited:
Michigan players joked about the predictability during Paterno's early 2000s crap offenses.

Most of us did, this year. I was actually ecstatic when i was wrong. And I'm not watching film, so i'm not catching the little nuances that tip off another team.

It would be of interest to know if it was the way an OL would tip his head or place his feet.. or if the rb or even qb did something consistently simple to figure out. They had to see it on film and when they saw it during the game... boom.

Even so, we have much better players who made the difference.... but if they can do it...
Great point, The o line is usually the tip. When we would watch film, one coach would key on stance and hands. Heavy/light hands or hips lower/higher & foot placement were the biggest tells. You would be Extremely surprised how much this happens in high school football.

Great point, The o line is usually the tip. When we would watch film, one coach would key on stance and hands. Heavy/light hands or hips lower/higher & foot placement were the biggest tells. You would be Extremely surprised how much this happens in high school football.
Reminds me of the vince papale story with wahlberg getting schooled on the hands.

And yeah, opposition does not know what play we are running... but it sure as hell helps knowing if it's a run or a pass (if you have the chops to do something about it). in the rpo that's not an issue... but it's been a mcsorley lifetime since that was the case.

ADVERTISEMENT