ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling VIDEO: Sanderson/Lee/Dean preview 2022 NCAA Tournament

First question is about seeding. Cael says that it was consistently inconsistent, like it has been in the past. Says that it's a flawed system that needs to be fixed but that they're ready to roll.

On lessons learned from Lincoln, Cael says they need to win close matches. Adds that they didn't learn anything new, but that guys need to wrestle with enthusiasm.

• Wow
Reactions: backdrft76
Cael says that he feels like they wrestled well for the most part at Big Tens. Adds that they're really focused on "the nationals" and that the past is in the past.

On graduating four of the five starts in the front of the line, Cael says that whether they reach their goals or not is up to them and adds that if you don't reach your goals some times in a sport, it can sometimes fuel you toward bigger and better things in life. Says they're not worried about if they don't reach their (individual) goals.

Cael says that he doesn't worry about motivation at this point, they just try to prepare guys the best they can and get out of the way.

On Berge's seed, Cael says that he needs to beat good guys regardless, but they figured he would've been seeded higher, if not in the top 10. Says again that the system for seeding is flawed.

On wrestling through the consolation bracket, Cael says that every points matters and that 1 or 2 two points could make the difference. Adds that it's important to score bonus points for that reason, something he thought they did well in Lincoln.

On travel plans, Cael says they do nothing unique, they just have to get there and be on weight and from there it's time to go.

Nick Lee up now.

Lee says that having done this three times now, it's something where he kind of knows what to expect which is helpful

Lee says that nothing changes despite the Big Ten Tournament loss and that it wouldn't be the first time in his career that they won nationals after losing B1Gs.

Lee says that he hasn't yet looked at his bracket. Says he'll probably do so later this week. Interestingly, Lee said that he doesn't really look at the bracket before each match and that he lets coaches worry about any specifics.

Max Dean up now. Says he'll have a lot of friends and family from Lowell (MI) in Detroit supporting him.

On being the team favorite, Dean says it's exciting. Says he's really had a lot of fun this season, but that they're not really thinking about if they're the favorite or not.

Another great question from JP about not wrestling with fear of losing (paraphrased), Dean says that a lot has changed between now and his last final in 2019 and that he's trying to take a similar approach to Lee in terns of going out and wrestling his own match.

On a similar note, Dean says that he won't be looking at brackets and that it doesn't change anything for him. Says he didn't know he had MyMar in the 2019 semis until about 10 minutes before.

Reactions: ccdiver
Lot of talk of about focusing on their own performances and not the opponents. Has been at the center of quotes from Cael, Lee and Dean now.

Dean says he'll definitely take time to her his parents, his brother and sister, fiancee and best friend. Says that his family does a lot for him on tournament weekends, and that Gabe was doing ice baths for him all last weekend. Adds that he's an avid card player in between sessions (euchre) and that his support system is a big part of keeping him relaxed and ready.

That’s so interesting to me that these guys don’t look at the brackets! Shows that they really do just focus on their own performance and don’t worry about their opponent.

Dean says he'll definitely take time to her his parents, his brother and sister, fiancee and best friend. Says that his family does a lot for him on tournament weekends, and that Gabe was doing ice baths for him all last weekend. Adds that he's an avid card player in between sessions (euchre) and that his support system is a big part of keeping him relaxed and ready.
Euchre... I love this kid. Taught my daughter and we play with parents whenever they are in.

Rather than Like each of your individual posts, I'll just tell you thank you very much for providing all of this paraphrase/summary/recap. It's really very much appreciated!

On lessons learned from Lincoln, Cael says they need to win close matches. Adds that they didn't learn anything new, but that guys need to wrestle with enthusiasm.
I like the enthusiasm comment. He's obviously right.

That’s so interesting to me that these guys don’t look at the brackets! Shows that they really do just focus on their own performance and don’t worry about their opponent.
Yeah that seemed absolutely crazy to me. Makes me wonder how common that is among college wrestlers/teams.

DT said before, the best way to succeed it truly to take it one match at a time without any worry about team score. Cael never brought up the team score once in DT's 4 title runs he said. Cael is obviously aware of it (duh lol) and knows when to yell for pace to be picked up (Ruth against Hamlin in the finals in 2013)

Quentin Wright also infamously said he got out the gates slow in 2013 and told Cael he thought he was off before the quarters and Cael's only response to him was "Ahhhhhh I'm not worried, you'll figure it out!"

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
He should also take some time to listen us…….STAY another year Max!!

Cael is like a cross between Yoda, Yogi Berra and the Dalai Lama.

And we know who the Dalai Lama is rooting for.

EYeDaZ3WoAIo21S

What double deck and let's run em I once ran every hand in double deck pinochle called a Boston
think single deck is less 'automatic' and can track all four suits better.. so many slight variations on the play based on area/region

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT