ADVERTISEMENT

Football VIDEO: Penn State DC Tom Allen talks Tuesday night's practice

Good stuff, Richie.

Ever thought about running these through a AI subtitle maker? I saw the complaint about not hearing questions and while I can hear Allen pretty well, it's pretty clear he's been screaming all week.

here is one example. I know Zoom and some of the video conferencing tools do this now to create transcripts.

Good stuff, Richie.

Ever thought about running these through a AI subtitle maker? I saw the complaint about not hearing questions and while I can hear Allen pretty well, it's pretty clear he's been screaming all week.

here is one example. I know Zoom and some of the video conferencing tools do this now to create transcripts.

I’ve looked into it a bit, but haven’t found a reliable one yet.

Reactions: Obliviax
If he truly is enjoying be a DC again…..and is happy to not have deal with bs that a head coach does…..perhaps he will stick around awhile. Would be nice to have some continuity.
It would be nice to have continuity, but it seems like the teams that win the Natty or make the playoff (in the prior system) tend to have no continuity at coordinator as success brings hc opportunities. We just cannot seem to patch together having a great oc and dc at the same time. If MY was merely average, Manny was good enough to have gotten us into the playoffs. Unfortunately MY was awful.

It would be nice to have continuity, but it seems like the teams that win the Natty or make the playoff (in the prior system) tend to have no continuity at coordinator as success brings hc opportunities. We just cannot seem to patch together having a great oc and dc at the same time. If MY was merely average, Manny was good enough to have gotten us into the playoffs. Unfortunately MY was awful.
which is why I mentioned it. He may have hated the politics, the fund raising, the administration aspects, and more. Hopefully he will succeed as DC as he has before but decide to stay put for five years or more.

At his age he may be tired of moving cross country, of starting over, of dealing with new issues at other schools.

I have to agree. PSU had ample talent on the offensive side of the ball but looked ragged in several games, if not all. I am excited about Andy K and like his philosophy. It will be fun to watch the B/W game but I suspect it will be dummied down.

which is why I mentioned it. He may have hated the politics, the fund raising, the administration aspects, and more. Hopefully he will succeed as DC as he has before but decide to stay put for five years or more.

At his age he may be tired of moving cross country, of starting over, of dealing with new issues at other schools.
he was making just under $5m a year at Indy and is now making ~ $1.5m. So that is a big drop. But as one gets later in life, time and experiences are worth a lot more than money. Its great that he has that kind of choice.

Not really true. Alabama and Clemson are the recent benchmarks. Brent Venables was at Clemson for 10 years. They only had two OCs during that run.

Alabama had Kirby Smart as DC for 9 years and 4 championships.

he was making just under $5m a year at Indy and is now making ~ $1.5m. So that is a big drop. But as one gets later in life, time and experiences are worth a lot more than money. Its great that he has that kind of choice.
I heard on a podcast that Allen got a $15 million dollar buyout. At his age and current salary money won’t be an issue.

Hopefully he invested wisely and money is not a top concern. The biggest issue is the competitive nature of these guys. They got to where they are because of incredible drive. And the fact he wasn’t successful as HC probably gnaws at his gut. May just be dreaming of another shot.

Hopefully he invested wisely and money is not a top concern. The biggest issue is the competitive nature of these guys. They got to where they are because of incredible drive. And the fact he wasn’t successful as HC probably gnaws at his gut. May just be dreaming of another shot.
These guys also begin to think in terms of generational wealth. In other words, their kids, grandkids and great-grandkids can be taken care of for life. Their family may never get the chance to make generational wealth again and sometimes you have to sacrifice and grab for that brass ring.

There really can’t be all that much difference between $1.5 million and $5 million if you love what you’re doing.

These guys also begin to think in terms of generational wealth. In other words, their kids, grandkids and great-grandkids can be taken care of for life. Their family may never get the chance to make generational wealth again and sometimes you have to sacrifice and grab for that brass ring.
Doesn't everyone want that? Many do not get a second opportunity.

There really can’t be all that much difference between $1.5 million and $5 million if you love what you’re doing.
BIG difference. First, it’s CJFs program. All kudos will go to CJF if they win. CJF will certainly tell what Allen what to do when ouch comes to shove. If the D dudes good, Shen can need HC again make $5m a year (for his great grand kids). For Uber competitive people there is a huge difference between coordinator and HC. And honestly, do you really want a non competitive, non ambitious DC?

Agree 100%.

If you truly love what you're doing, whatever it might be, how-ever-much or -little money you might make, you will never go to work a day in your life. That's a reality which far too many of us, who learned from childhood that "a lot of money" = "great life success and happiness", never really understood, but one the 85-year-old small-engine mechanic who's serviced our lawn mowers and weed-eaters for the last twenty years in the same modest shop he's owned for the past fifty-plus-, understands in his bones. If you ask him when he plans to retire he'll tell you he's not sure but, whenever his time comes, he'd prefer it be in his "work"shop. And, if asked the same question, the 78-year-old cardiologist whom I visit periodically, who's more than financially comfortable at his current stage of life, always has the same short stock answer: "Retire to what?".

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT