ADVERTISEMENT

VIDEO of every nuclear explosion (2,053) from 1945-1998 (link)...................

"I have never seen any Bhagvad-Gita translation with such bizarre ("I am become death") grammar (In Oppenheimer's defense, I have come across only 3-4 different translations). I guess it is a poetic archaism and Oppenheimer being a Sanskrit scholar translated the verse himself..

However, in Bhagvad Gita, its purpose is to motivate Arjuna to fight the war.

Refer Bhagvad Gita's Chapter 11, Verse 31-33 for details.

PS: As with other holy texts, there can be many interpretations of a single verse."

Many interpretations of a (ahem) holy text?!? Imagine that!

http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-or...Now-I-am-become-Death-the-destroyer-of-worlds

"I have never seen any Bhagvad-Gita translation with such bizarre ("I am become death") grammar (In Oppenheimer's defense, I have come across only 3-4 different translations). I guess it is a poetic archaism and Oppenheimer being a Sanskrit scholar translated the verse himself..

However, in Bhagvad Gita, its purpose is to motivate Arjuna to fight the war.

Refer Bhagvad Gita's Chapter 11, Verse 31-33 for details.

PS: As with other holy texts, there can be many interpretations of a single verse."

Many interpretations of a (ahem) holy text?!? Imagine that!

http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-or...Now-I-am-become-Death-the-destroyer-of-worlds
Here is a better explanation and fuller understanding of why Oppenhimer justifiably translated it the way he did:
Oppenheimer and the Gita

It's getting harder NOT to become a cynic.

I'd disagree. Over the course of 53 years in the video, there's 2053 bombs set off, averaging 38.7 per year. However, after the end of the Cold War (for these purposes, I'm calling that the dissolution of the Soviet Union on Dec. 26, 1991), there were only 26 tests, about 3.7 per year.

In fact, there's a reason the video ends in 1998 and hasn't been updated. If you go past 1998, the total would rise to 2056 tests. That's assuming all 3 of North Korea's were successful. Considering nuclear testing peaked in the early 60's and has been on a downward slope ever since then, I'd call it reason for optimism.

ADVERTISEMENT