ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling VIDEO/NOTES: Weekly Media W/ Cael Sanderson and Roman Bravo-Young

On the intermittent early season schedule, Cael says they're excited to compete but that the light schedule early on allows them to prepare properly for competition. Says that this weekend's duals are big and they're excited to take on two in-state rivals.

On weight maintenance over the holidays: They know what they want to do, but we have a lot of confidence and trust in our wrestlers,. But we value them have time with families and we'll always put that first, even if it sets us back a little bit.

Reactions: Chris Watts
On the Suriano move/B1G balance: I think it's exciting, not exactly surprising. There are several teams that can win the conference tournament, national tournament, and that's why we do this.

On 157: At this point, Terrell earned that spot. He's going to be a lot more competitive than maybe people think just because he had a rough match. Also mentioned that Barraclough had the flu that went through the football team previously. Mentioned a couple other guys are competing for the spot. Says he think Barraclough will surprise some people given time.

Asked about Kerkvliet's development, Sanderson says that he's going to improve a lot with each match and that he's not wrestled a ton in folkstyle since his senior season of HS. Adds that he's working hard to get better on the mat and from the top position.

RBY on now: Asked about Thanksgiving break, Bravo-Young said he didn't get home but it was a nice little reset. Says he's going to take the opportunity to go home over Christmas break.

On wrestling with enthusiasm: Bravo-Young says he likes the attention and it's part of the way he's wired. Says he wants to carry that forward into his career after PSU as well.

Thanks CS.

Based on Cael’s comments, I’ll look forward to seeing Terrell this weekend, hoping his last result was impacted by not feeling well.

But some questions came to mind about 57, when I heard Cael’s comments. First, if Terrell was so sick, why was he in the lineup? If Joe Lee was not in the lineup as his replacement, is that because he’s still not healthy?

In the off-season the consensus was that Joe Lee would surprise some folks down at 57. Then we heard the caveat, if he was healthy. When Joe didn’t go in the first 2 duals the word was he was dinged up and would be good to go soon. So I’m curious if ‘dinged up’ is code for Joe is injured and unable to compete, or if Terrell is just flat out beating Joe, even when healthy?

Corby said Bearclaw reversed Joe Lee in the wrestleoffs and got back points off that then got a second turn. I could be wrong but I don't think Joe gets turned that often.

EDIT: 9House put him in a cradle at Big Tens but I think that's it. Cameron Amine stuffed his roll attempted but I wouldn't call that a turn.

Says he think Barraclough will surprise some people given time.
Where have I heard this before???
thinking...thinking...
giphy.gif

Corby said Bearclaw reversed Joe Lee in the wrestleoffs and got back points off that then got a second turn. I could be wrong but I don't think Joe gets turned that often.

EDIT: 9House put him in a cradle at Big Tens but I think that's it. Cameron Amine stuffed his roll attempted but I wouldn't call that a turn.
Smith OSU pinned him.
Spadafora MD pinned him.
Sparks MN pinned him.
Nijenhuis Purdue pinned him.
Ferrante NW won 10-6, I think back points were scored.
Whittaker OSU won 8-1, backpoints?

Joe has learned the path to his back.

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup

In the audio for the last match, Ironhead did say that TB nearly majored JL. So, it would be fair to speculate that the spread was 7 points.

Smith OSU pinned him.
Spadafora MD pinned him.
Sparks MN pinned him.
Nijenhuis Purdue pinned him.
Ferrante NW won 10-6, I think back points were scored.
Whittaker OSU won 8-1, backpoints?

Joe has learned the path to his back.
I'm talking about Joe being on the bottom position and then getting outright tilted, which Corby said Bearclaw was able to do. Yes, Joe was sloppy and found his way to his back quite a bit last year but that's different than getting worked from top and tilted.

Smith rolled through a TD and put Joe on his back
Spadafora didn't pin Joe, he beat him in SV
Sparks got pinned by Joe so you have that backwards
9House cradled him so yes, I counted that as a turn
Ferrante didn't turn Joe, Joe threw him to his back and then in the momentum, Ferrante got Joe onto his
Joe threw himself to his back against Wittlake

Joe knows the back better than most PS wrestlers due to his free wheeling style and sometimes careless ,bad decisions. It is not surprise to see an opponent get back points on him.

Wow, that one student interviewer was positively brutal. I guess the kid from last year must have graduated. Too bad - He was terrific.

Unless we solve 57 and 65, we will have a hard time come tournament time imo.
Unless we solve 57 and 65, we will have a hard time come tournament time imoa.

It goes without saying but figured ehhh what the heck,what’s one more time gonna hurt.

Unless we solve 57 and 65, we will have a hard time come tournament time imoa.

It goes without saying but figured ehhh what the heck,what’s one more time gonna hurt.
Agreed, I don't see us competing at the top end without three holes being filled: 125, 157 and 165. And right now these are legit NCAA tournament holes. Even with the top end talent we have we still need some competitive points from these three weights. It is not likely we score a ton at 149 and it would be difficult to imagine that we have 4 champs again. Who really cares about the outcome of a dual meet? They are fun to watch, but they really don't mean anything at the end of the day. Wick would have been huge at 165. Likely top 4. Was never really high on Suriano coming back.

What is the solution at 57 next year, if Beau goes to 41 and SVN is at 49?

Agreed, I don't see us competing at the top end without three holes being filled: 125, 157 and 165. And right now these are legit NCAA tournament holes. Even with the top end talent we have we still need some competitive points from these three weights. It is not likely we score a ton at 149 and it would be difficult to imagine that we have 4 champs again. Who really cares about the outcome of a dual meet? They are fun to watch, but they really don't mean anything at the end of the day. Wick would have been huge at 165. Likely top 4. Was never really high on Suriano coming back.

What is the solution at 57 next year, if Beau goes to 41 and SVN is at 49?
I believe that with the supposed Hildebrandt transfer we are neck and neck with Iowa and that 157 and 165 are not as dire as other believe. Do I think we repeat all 4 champs, no, but I would be shocked if we did not get three and a runner up. Also, most of the projections have us right now within 10-12 points and Iowa for the most part is maxed out at their weights while we still have room to move up at many weights.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Wow, that one student interviewer was positively brutal. I guess the kid from last year must have graduated. Too bad - He was terrific.
You referring to Zach Allen? Yeah, it's as if no one has talked to these students about professionalism.

The first team to 135 wins.

I know all about their ace in the hole (Marinelli scoring more points) and I agree he probably will, but with a deeper field, advancement and bonus points will be harder to come by. IMO the Hawks will come in right around the same score as last year.

Of course, we have the same challenge, but with 7 guys wrestling in their 1st NCAA tourney last year that experience should be worth a few more points.

No matter how you slice it though, 4.5 points from 125, 149, 157, and 165 will not be enough.

125. +12-14 with Hilde
133. Wash. Even if he doesnt make finals,I expect
more bonus
141. +2 champ + bonus
149. +4 BoBar at least 2-2
157. Wash. a healthy JL (or even TB) is every bit as
capable as BB was.
165. +4-6 Too much?
174. Wash. Im not ever doubting CS again but IMO
the weight is deeper this year.
184. +4-6. Champ and big bonus
197. +4-6. No matter who goes,we improve
285. +8-10. DGK is finalist

10 qualifiers??? What am I,stoned?

• Haha
Does the runner up this year outscore 134.5 (I'll give Ohio State their Snyder headgear chuck point back)

125. +12-14 with Hilde
133. Wash. Even if he doesnt make finals,I expect
more bonus
141. +2 champ + bonus
149. +4 BoBar at least 2-2
157. Wash. a healthy JL (or even TB) is every bit as
capable as BB was.
165. +4-6 Too much?
174. Wash. Im not ever doubting CS again but IMO
the weight is deeper this year.
184. +4-6. Champ and big bonus
197. +4-6. No matter who goes,we improve
285. +8-10. DGK is finalist

10 qualifiers??? What am I,stoned?
That would be 113.5 + 38 = 151.5. More than PSU has ever scored at Nationals.

So, you're either stoned or you're Ironbird. I'll let you decide which is worse.

Let's have some fun. Let's go for a super rosy tournament.

Drew - 6th (9)
RBY - 1st (20)
Nick - 1st (20)
Bartlett - 5th (10)
TB - DNQ (0)
Facundo - R12 (2)
Star - 1st (20)
Brooks - 1st (20)
Max - 3rd (13.5)
Kerk - 4th (12.5)

127 Advancement and Placement. We scored 17 bonus points last year, let's assume that again (I think we can do better since I can see Aaron, Carter getting bonus through the quarters) That's 144. We're the underdogs but we have the firepower to win it.

I'm talking about Joe being on the bottom position and then getting outright tilted, which Corby said Bearclaw was able to do. Yes, Joe was sloppy and found his way to his back quite a bit last year but that's different than getting worked from top and tilted.

Smith rolled through a TD and put Joe on his back
Spadafora didn't pin Joe, he beat him in SV
Sparks got pinned by Joe so you have that backwards
9House cradled him so yes, I counted that as a turn
Ferrante didn't turn Joe, Joe threw him to his back and then in the momentum, Ferrante got Joe onto his
Joe threw himself to his back against Wittlake
Spadafora pinned him in the dual.
Barraclough supposedly reversed him to his back and then worked him for another set of back points.
In less than a year he has been pinned 4 times and given up back points to multiple opponents.
Whether he found himself on his back because he fell down back first, or someone cranked him like the second coming of Zain if he ends up on his back in over half of his 13 most recent matches it is rather difficult to be surprised by finding out he ended up there in his 14th competitive match.

Points scored by
RBY
Nick
Beau
Carter
Aaron
Max or Mike
Greg
will be enough to win the championship.
This year 7 scoring wrestlers will be sufficient.
Thank you, for a minute there, I thought we were heading down the vaunted 8 scoring wrestlers territory.

ADVERTISEMENT