ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling VIDEO: Cody Sanderson, Creighton Edsell talk latest on PSU Wrestling

On Beau Bartlett: Not the match he wanted to have, but he found a way to get a tough ride against a veteran opponent and that says a lot about his mentality. Says he's in his second year but he has less matches than a typical RS would have by Christmas. Says he expects he and other young guys could make drastic improvements throughout the year.

Edsell says the environment is no different in the room among those who are competing for their spot and those who aren't. Adds that wrestle-offs are a bit weird, but that it's just another day and it's part of the sport.

Edsell says he had to shrink down a little bit to 165, but he feels a lot better at the weight. Excited to see what he can do at a weight class he considers his own.
Hmm. Just normal wrestler-speak, or a clue about the plan for Facundo (at least through 1st half)? Or about current state of competition in the room? Interesting. 🤔

Reactions: nitlion6
Everything I've seen from Edsell since he got here is he's a hard worker who can compete with anyone. Certainly I believe he can be a NQ if he were our starter. From there, who knows? We should expect him to be confident that the spot is his. That's mentality the coaches instill on our wrestlers.

Yeah, no doubt he is confident (and rightfully so) — that’s what I was alluding to with wrestler-speak (I believe it is a pervasive mentality in the sport at this level and above).

That said, the concept of a weight being “one’s own” can also imply there is no in-house competition for the spot, which is why the comment caught my eye.

Yeah, no doubt he is confident (and rightfully so) — that’s what I was alluding to with wrestler-speak (I believe it is a pervasive mentality in the sport at this level and above).

That said, the concept of a weight being “one’s own” can also imply there is no in-house competition for the spot, which is why the comment caught my eye.
I read that as confidence on his part that he feels he can score enough at nationals to not have to necessitate burning Facundo's redshirt. Obviously he's not the final arbiter of that decision and I can't imagine the staff has promised him anything. But I'm glad to see he's confident.

Reactions: Ski and slushhead
Edsel vs Facundo
Dean vs Beard

It will be great to see them all get at least a couple of top 15-20 level guys in competition over the next 45 days. It is really hard to guage much yet, granted all 4 have done well this early.

The national duals may provide the venue for near final evaluation for three of them, but I am not sure we will see Facundo's call by then as determining his trajectory is a bit different. My money is on his shirt getting pulled in January.

With the recent schedule release it was indicated that the Army match Thursday was to be on BTN+. I just looked at the BTN+ plus event calendar and nothing is listed for November 18. Is this match definitely going to be on BTN+?

EDSALL WORKED HARD TO GET THOSE 3 PERIOD POINTS GOOD FOR HIM!!

With the recent schedule release it was indicated that the Army match Thursday was to be on BTN+. I just looked at the BTN+ plus event calendar and nothing is listed for November 18. Is this match definitely going to be on BTN+?

It's in there - Check here:

ADVERTISEMENT