ADVERTISEMENT

Very early Iowa vs Penn State predictions

Didn't expect to get much pushback by saying I think RBY is talented enough to beat Desanto comfortably if he opens up. You don't seem to have as much faith in your guy as I do lol.

We agree with you, PA really is the Mecca of Wrestling!
It definitely is the Mecca in the US. I'm def no iowa fan or penn state for that matter. It is pretty amazing that he left the state tho. Same if Nolf would of left and any other generational type talent. Even more so with psu's struggle at the weight. Just crazy to me.
This is where wrestling is different from football and basketball. If this was Bama he'd of been getting a McDonald's bag every week lol.

It definitely is the Mecca in the US. I'm def no iowa fan or penn state for that matter. It is pretty amazing that he left the state tho. Same if Nolf would of left and any other generational type talent. Even more so with psu's struggle at the weight. Just crazy to me.
This is where wrestling is different from football and basketball. If this was Bama he'd of been getting a McDonald's bag every week lol.

PSU's struggles at 125 after Lee was already at Iowa since we had Suriano who was in the class before Lee.

If you think it's amazing that a kid who was born in Colorado and moved twice before graduating HS would leave PA for college, then you should check out Rob Koll's background.

Lee wanted to be the top dog in the room and his girl was there. Along with dad getting a deal at local college. Watched lee in high school was all about him. Wouldn’t fit PSU. And definitely wouldn’t have been focuse of team like he wants.

Lee wanted to be the top dog in the room and his girl was there. Along with dad getting a deal at local college. Watched lee in high school was all about him. Wouldn’t fit PSU. And definitely wouldn’t have been focuse of team like he wants.
"Lee wouldn't fit in at PSU" is a terrible take, made worse by how hard Cael pursued him, and made worse yet by Lee's own statements about how comfortable he felt with PSU and how hard a choice it was between PSU and Iowa.

Yes Cael went hard at Spencer, yes with a RS and Suriano bump he would have fit perfectly,yes Spencer has said how comfortable he felt.What doesnt add up is that Larry had the Coe gig lined up all the time.

Yes Cael went hard at Spencer, yes with a RS and Suriano bump he would have fit perfectly,yes Spencer has said how comfortable he felt.What doesnt add up is that Larry had the Coe gig lined up all the time.
Some would say it adds up as intended.

If they dont land lee, I would argue the other pa guys arent there. If the other pa guys arent there they aren't vying for back to back NCs*

LMAO. Another Football board drifter? Yikes

"Watched lee in high school was all about him. Wouldn’t fit PSU. And definitely wouldn’t have been focuse of team like he wants."
Would you mind elaborating on these statements? And I'm especially curious as to how exactly Spencer wouldn't fit in at Penn State. You don't think Spencer is a "Team" guy? All about him?

Spencer is a class act. Do you really expect him to say anything negative about PSU or that he didn’t like PSU, didn’t like Cael or the way they recruited him, etc. The respectful thing is to praise the program, say how close the decision was and how comfortable he felt there, etc.

That said, I think he did like the wrestlers at PSU and probably did feel pretty comfortable with them. I think it was hard for him to leave Pennsylvania, but in the end, I don’t think the decision was all that difficult for him.

I believe his girlfriend went to Iowa and Larry made the decision to take the job at a college in Iowa with an old colleague after Spencer knew he was going to go to Iowa (but maybe before he announced his decision).

Spencer is a class act. Do you really expect him to say anything negative about PSU or that he didn’t like PSU, didn’t like Cael or the way they recruited him, etc. The respectful thing is to praise the program, say how close the decision was and how comfortable he felt there, etc.

That said, I think he did like the wrestlers at PSU and probably did feel pretty comfortable with them. I think it was hard for him to leave Pennsylvania, but in the end, I don’t think the decision was all that difficult for him.

I believe his girlfriend went to Iowa and Larry made the decision to take the job at a college in Iowa with an old colleague after Spencer knew he was going to go to Iowa (but maybe before he announced his decision).

I agree, I think he is a class act too, and its obvious he is a true team mate. No doubt he would have fit in here too.Cenzo, Nolf, Verk? (among others) were all in YG with him. Regardless he would have been 4 timer at either place, ANY place probably.

Spencer is all IOWA and it's fantastic! I always get a kick out of the reasons/excuses some Lion fans/PA people give for why Spencer came to Iowa City. Note that it's rarely mentioned that it's something Spencer himself chose and wanted to do. People quickly for get that. Remember his commitment letter and videos gushing about the coaching staff at Iowa? Or how comfortable and home he felt? Or how Iowa didn't drag other programs through the mud like some did. Tom and Terry told it like it is. Spencer made his own choice. The best choice!

Penn State famous for wrestlers who never draw attention to themselves like David Taylor, Bo Nickal, and RBY. Sour grapes lol. Spencer had a choice between 2 great programs. He felt more at home in Iowa. It's not that hard. Also remember, he wasn't the first PA kid to commit either. Kem was already there and Young was actually the first to commit.

Reactions: WildTurk
Spencer is really good at what he does. Kudos to him. This is my favorite Spencer Lee match so far during his college career.

I think it would be hard to root against Spencer no matter where he went to school (similar to me not being able to root against Nolf - great person, great wrestler, enjoyable to watch. He is just the kind of person that deserves to win and is easy to root for).

Some would say it adds up as intended.

If they dont land lee, I would argue the other pa guys arent there. If the other pa guys arent there they aren't vying for back to back NCs*

Young & Kemerer were already at Iowa when Lee got there. Just saying. DeSanto definitely went to Iowa because of Lee. No clue about Murin but he was in the same HS class as Lee.

I can’t believe this is still a conversation. Wait. Yes, I can. 🤦‍♂️

Having another program at our level is great for the sport. More on the rise too. Good for Spencer, good for those guys.

I think it would be hard to root against Spencer no matter where he went to school (similar to me not being able to root against Nolf - great person, great wrestler, enjoyable to watch. He is just the kind of person that deserves to win and is easy to root for).
I appreciate his talents and enjoy watching him wrestle but I don't root for him to win.

Reactions: ccdiver and danoftw
Amen to this. It's bewildering to see the turn this thread has taken. I'm confident 90% of the posters on BWI have nothing but respect for Spencer Lee and are excited to see the heights he will reach, even if (sadly) it is for an opposing team. He's one of the crown jewels in this awesome sport and appears to be a terrific ambassador for wrestling. Soon enough he will be on Team USA blazing a trail of glory through the international and Olympic competition and even the crustiest of us PSU fans will no doubt be cheering for him to win it all.

I rarely come over here (maybe once or twice a year to read up on the Kerkvliet injury or other PSU info you guys have the inside scoop on).

I must say, I am extremely pleased to see the level headed true wrestling fans discussing wrestling. My previous experiences with PSU “fans” on the forums have been with those PSU posters coming over to HR beating their chests, trash talking, berating and insulting the Iowa coaches, wrestlers and fans during the PSU dominant stretch a few years ago. I am not sure if they were bandwagon football fans that just realized you had a dominant wrestling program or just regular trolls, but it kind of gave me a bad impression of the PSU fan base in general.

The trip over here this time (and even the last couple times to some degree) restores the tremendous respect I have for you guys. I think both fan bases have their homers and fringe lunatics, but the majority are just great respectful and knowledgeable wrestling fans that love their programs. Best of luck to you guys as I head back home to HR. Hopefully we will be able to recruit and coach up the studs needed to keep up with you guys so we can have a great rivalry heading forward. I certainly don’t see PSU falling off any time soon.

Hope everybody stays healthy and Covid free (and Kerk gets back good as new).

At the time of his commitment, he effusively praised both Iowa and Penn State. He also very clearly railed against one unnamed program for negative recruiting tactics.

Since there was a 3rd finalist that he didn't talk about, connecting the dots was pretty easy. (Indirectly related: Mark Hall also railed against negative recruiting. He didn't name the chief offender either, but it's widely believed to be the same school.)

Anyway, point being that Lee could have said nothing about PSU, or praised just enough to check the box. He went far beyond that. He said it was a difficult decision, and IMO he was sincere.

Everyone seems to be forgetting: the summer before committing, he attended Olympic Trials at CHA. Iowa had both finalists at his weight. Most likely that was the deciding factor.

Amen to this. It's bewildering to see the turn this thread has taken. I'm confident 90% of the posters on BWI have nothing but respect for Spencer Lee and are excited to see the heights he will reach, even if (sadly) it is for an opposing team. He's one of the crown jewels in this awesome sport and appears to be a terrific ambassador for wrestling. Soon enough he will be on Team USA blazing a trail of glory through the international and Olympic competition and even the crustiest of us PSU fans will no doubt be cheering for him to win it all.

I also wish him the best in college when not wrestling PSU, but the same holds true to the Olympic and International level. My guy is now Thomas Gilman, yes I drank the Koolaid. Gilman is my man at that level until Spencer also joins the club in SC, then I'll have to root for both leaving the coach's chairs empty.

I rarely come over here (maybe once or twice a year to read up on the Kerkvliet injury or other PSU info you guys have the inside scoop on).

I must say, I am extremely pleased to see the level headed true wrestling fans discussing wrestling. My previous experiences with PSU “fans” on the forums have been with those PSU posters coming over to HR beating their chests, trash talking, berating and insulting the Iowa coaches, wrestlers and fans during the PSU dominant stretch a few years ago. I am not sure if they were bandwagon football fans that just realized you had a dominant wrestling program or just regular trolls, but it kind of gave me a bad impression of the PSU fan base in general.

The trip over here this time (and even the last couple times to some degree) restores the tremendous respect I have for you guys. I think both fan bases have their homers and fringe lunatics, but the majority are just great respectful and knowledgeable wrestling fans that love their programs. Best of luck to you guys as I head back home to HR. Hopefully we will be able to recruit and coach up the studs needed to keep up with you guys so we can have a great rivalry heading forward. I certainly don’t see PSU falling off any time soon.

giphy.gif

Just kidding. :pGlad to have you here. It is always fun to talk wrestling.

I think something else that sold Lee on Iowa was the chance to lead a resurgence for the Iowa program where at PSU he would have been a cog in the machine. Either way, Lee was winning a lot of individual national championships. I am not saying Lee had a problem with being a cog in the machine unlike the kid from New Jersey.
Really just comes down to an individual preference. As El-Jefe stated, no doubt the Olympic Trial finalists both being coached by the Brands was a big influence too.

Flattery will get you everywhere.

If we judged all tHR guys by grip, Weh8te, wildturk, etc we would have the same feeling.

It's nice when respectable people wander on over.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
If we judged all tHR guys by grip, Weh8te, wildturk, etc we would have the same feeling.

It's nice when respectable people wander on over.
You like to go fishing on Sundays with your drugs and booze? I've always been more of a hunter myself.

Not sure how someone can not be a Spencer fan. The kid is fun as heck to watch. With that said, he is a Hawk so I also enjoy the rare moment someone steps up and challenges the snot out of the kid.

Not sure about the moment Spencer's heart became Hawk black and yellow, but I think Young was in 9th grade when he told me he was going to Iowa. Murin I believe knew he was going to Iowa, hell or high water at a very young age also.

Reactions: HavenLion
At the time of his commitment, he effusively praised both Iowa and Penn State. He also very clearly railed against one unnamed program for negative recruiting tactics.

Since there was a 3rd finalist that he didn't talk about, connecting the dots was pretty easy. (Indirectly related: Mark Hall also railed against negative recruiting. He didn't name the chief offender either, but it's widely believed to be the same school.)

Anyway, point being that Lee could have said nothing about PSU, or praised just enough to check the box. He went far beyond that. He said it was a difficult decision, and IMO he was sincere.

Everyone seems to be forgetting: the summer before committing, he attended Olympic Trials at CHA. Iowa had both finalists at his weight. Most likely that was the deciding factor.

tenor.gif

Spencer is all IOWA and it's fantastic! I always get a kick out of the reasons/excuses some Lion fans/PA people give for why Spencer came to Iowa City. Note that it's rarely mentioned that it's something Spencer himself chose and wanted to do. People quickly for get that. Remember his commitment letter and videos gushing about the coaching staff at Iowa? Or how comfortable and home he felt? Or how Iowa didn't drag other programs through the mud like some did. Tom and Terry told it like it is. Spencer made his own choice. The best choice!
Well...just goes to show you. Nobody’s perfect.

You like to go fishing on Sundays with your drugs and booze? I've always been more of a hunter myself.
Huh?

I know your butt hurt but this statement, as dumb as it is will not help you.

Put the phone down, go for a walk, play the baby, think of the lot lizards and take the rest of the night off.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT