ADVERTISEMENT

Very early Iowa vs Penn State predictions

bwfight

Feb 6, 2014
After watching Iowa wrestle Nebraska tonight here are my predictions. How do you see it?

125 - Iowa fall. 0-6
133 - PS decision. 3-6
141 - PS decision 6-6
149 - PS decision. 9-6
157 - PS decision 12-6 (if Berge)
165 - Iowa decision. 12-9
174 - PS maj decision 16-9
184- PS fall. 22-9
197 - PS decision. 25-9
Hvy- PS decision. 28-9

After watching Iowa wrestle Nebraska tonight here are my predictions. How do you see it?

125 - Iowa fall. 0-6
133 - PS decision. 3-6
141 - PS decision 6-6
149 - PS decision. 9-6
184- PS fall. 22-9
197 - PS decision. 25-9
Hvy- PS decision. 28-9
I’ve seen some homer predictions...

125 - Iowa tech 0-5
133 - PS decision. 3-5
141 - PS decision 6-5
149 - Iowa decision. 6-8 (toss-up if Bartlett)
157 - PS decision 9-8 (if Berge)
165 - Iowa Major. 9-12
174 - Iowa decision 9-15 (edge to Kemmerer)
184- PS decision 12-15 (Nelson Brands will make it interesting)
197 - Iowa decision. 12-18
Hvy- PS decision 15-18

*149 & 197 are pivotal & unproven for Lions

Reactions: pointingdogsrule

125 - Iowa fall. 0-6
133 - PS decision. 3-6
141 - PS decision 6-6
149 - PS decision. 9-6
184- PS fall. 22-9
197 - PS decision. 25-9
Hvy- PS decision. 28-9

I love me some CStar, and I love your enthusiasm... but come on man, when was the last time Kemdog was major’d?

I love me some CStar, and I love your enthusiasm... but come on man, when was the last time Kemdog was major’d?

Nolf almost did it at B1Gs 2017. He was up 8-2 and the ref didn't give him the last takedown (I thought it was a clear 2)

Palacio and Micah both pinned him though.

125 - Iowa tech 0-5
133 - PS decision. 3-5
141 - PS decision 6-5
149 - Iowa decision. 6-8 (toss-up if Bartlett)
157 - PS decision 9-8 (if Berge)
165 - Iowa Major. 9-12
174 - Iowa decision 9-15 (edge to Kemmerer)
184- PS decision 12-15 (Nelson Brands will make it interesting)
197 - Iowa decision. 12-18
Hvy- PS decision 15-18

*149 & 197 are pivotal & unproven for Lions

I can see 8/10 of those predictions. Brands make it interesting against Brooks? Nope, nope, nope.... And Cass will not keep Kerk to a decision. (And welcome to the forum!)

Reactions: state134
I think some Iowa posters came here to see if we conceded that they're better at all 10 weights than us and are disappointed to see that isn't the result.

Regardless, Iowa looked how I expected them to look, very damn good.

125 - Iowa fall. 0-6
133 - PS decision. 3-6
141 - PS decision 6-6
149 - PS decision. 9-6
184- PS fall. 22-9
197 - PS decision. 25-9
Hvy- PS decision. 28-9
giphy.gif

125 - Iowa fall. 0-6
133 - PS decision. 3-6
141 - PS decision 6-6
149 - PS decision. 9-6
184- PS fall. 22-9
197 - PS decision. 25-9
Hvy- PS decision. 28-9
I’ll have what he is having!!!

Iowa has too much experience. It’s their year. But so much can happen to derail them.

Right now, Iowa wins at 125 for sure. Probably favored at 141, 149, 157, 165, 174, and 197. PSU probably favored at 133 and 285 with 184 for sure. All bouts but 125 are very close, though. PSU could have won last year had Hall not got too wound up! Iowa boys looked good last night. I was surprised by the Kennedy and Brands kids. But man do the hawks empty out after this year. Will probably rely on a bunch of transfers.

I’ll have what he is having!!!

Iowa has too much experience. It’s their year. But so much can happen to derail them.

Right now, Iowa wins at 125 for sure. Probably favored at 141, 149, 157, 165, 174, and 197. PSU probably favored at 133 and 285 with 184 for sure. All bouts but 125 are very close, though. PSU could have won last year had Hall not got too wound up! Iowa boys looked good last night. I was surprised by the Kennedy and Brands kids. But man do the hawks empty out after this year. Will probably rely on a bunch of transfers.

Empty out? Their entire team can come back next season if they want to. Same with our team.

Based on folk results Iowa has to be a big favorite. Based on potential there are a whole bunch of toss-ups.

Until Howard, Carter S, J Lee, Beard and Kerk actually get on the mat, until we know who goes at 149 and until Berge shows a return to form, I've got to give Iowa the edge at all 7 of those weights.

Don't get me wrong, deep down I feel Kerk is a solid favorite at 285, while 149, 157. 174 and 197 are toss-ups, along with 133 and 141.

Until I see more, here's what I've got
125 Iowa
133 Toss-up
141 Toss-up
149 Toss-up
157 Toss-up
165 Iowa
174 Iowa
184 PSU
197 Toss-up
285 PSU

Based on folk results Iowa has to be a big favorite. Based on potential there are a whole bunch of toss-ups.

Until Howard, Carter S, J Lee, Beard and Kerk actually get on the mat, until we know who goes at 149 and until Berge shows a return to form, I've got to give Iowa the edge at all 7 of those weights.

Don't get me wrong, deep down I feel Kerk is a solid favorite at 285, while 149, 157. 174 and 197 are toss-ups, along with 133 and 141.

Until I see more, here's what I've got
125 Iowa
133 Toss-up
141 Toss-up
149 Toss-up
157 Toss-up
165 Iowa
174 Iowa
184 PSU
197 Toss-up
285 PSU

I might change a few of those but the key is that except for 125 every match could go either way. Sure will be fun dual. Even more fun if we could actually go.

I see it..

125 Iowa
165 Iowa
184 PSU
hWT PSU

The rest great matches that can go either way IMO

I have it the same way. The key for me being I can't see anyway in which Iowa doesn't come away with more bonus in those four matches so Penn State will probably have to win six bouts, therefore taking 4 of the remaining 6 between 133, 141, 149, 157, 174, 197. I like the chances better in the lower weights but also don't see a match where I so no way that happens for either side.

Kaleb Young looked pretty damn good tonight. Transitive property I know doesn't work but he beat a guy 17-5 that Brayton Lee beat 10-5 a week before. I'm fine with saying he should be considered a favorite over Brady right now until we see how he looks in a folk match. Similarly, we don't know who our 149 even is at this point and unless it's Nick, I'm also fine with giving the nod to Max over any of Beau, Bearclaw, Verk right now.

That being said, it really doesn't matter if Iowa is a favorite in the dual or if they even beat us. All about peaking for the big tournament which is a whole other animal this year since the season really is only 2 months long.

I think many are selling RBY short. I think he clearly passed Desanto last year and would say 133 is a heavy favorite to PSU. Not automatic but far from a toss up.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I will be absolutely shocked if PSU were to defeat this Iowa team. Delighted, but shocked.
My fear is that all these Iowa seniors will decide to come back for yet another year, which I believe is their right. Just like our fr. will remain freshmen.

Reactions: Fatmarc
I can see 8/10 of those predictions. Brands make it interesting against Brooks? Nope, nope, nope.... And Cass will not keep Kerk to a decision. (And welcome to the forum!)
After watching Brands use strong hips, balance, direction changes and superior conditioning to face stomp Venz I am now excited to see this match.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I will be absolutely shocked if PSU were to defeat this Iowa team. Delighted, but shocked.
My fear is that all these Iowa seniors will decide to come back for yet another year, which I believe is their right. Just like our fr. will remain freshmen.

I will be shocked if Staroccci is not beating Kemerer next year. He’s at the best 174-184 school in the country, by a good stretch, with far better training partners and coaches than what Kemerer has around.

That said, that will be Kemerer’s 7th year in school, right? That’s a long time for someone not on a PhD or similar track at one school.

Disappointingly, we are not going to have a better idea this afternoon.
Penn State beating this Iowa team shouldn't be all that surprising, but until we see the lineup on the mat everybody is limited by their imaginations.

Reactions: jack66
Here’s the thing. Normally, starting 6 freshmen is not a positive in terms of team outlook. However, these are not 6 typical freshmen. I think we’re looking at THREE all-time PSU greats when all is said and done in Starocci, Kerkvliet and Bartlett and that is not hyperbole. Also, J Lee, Beard and Howard are not too far behind that IMO. They are likely All-Americans right now. Sadly, we won’t be able to get a glimpse of them today but when we do, people will view this team VERY differently.

Here’s the thing. Normally, starting 6 freshmen is not a positive in terms of team outlook. However, these are not 6 typical freshmen. I think we’re looking at THREE all-time PSU greats when all is said and done in Starocci, Kerkvliet and Bartlett and that is not hyperbole. Also, J Lee, Beard and Howard are not too far behind that IMO. They are likely All-Americans right now. Sadly, we won’t be able to get a glimpse of them today but when we do, people will view this team VERY differently.

You left out Brooks who may be the best of the bunch. First ever 5 time BIG champ.

I'd be shocked if they don't all return. It's a tight knit group, most of them will be sticking at HWC long term and they want 2 titles since they lost a chance last year. That being said, what is there to fear? You think our team is just going to concede to them?

I'd be shocked if they don't all return. It's a tight knit group, most of them will be sticking at HWC long term and they want 2 titles since they lost a chance last year. That being said, what is there to fear? You think our team is just going to concede to them?
I believe this Iowa team is very, very good= my fear is they come back as a very, very good team.
Wouldn‘t answer the last question, since it answers itself.

I will be shocked if Staroccci is not beating Kemerer next year. He’s at the best 174-184 school in the country, by a good stretch, with far better training partners and coaches than what Kemerer has around.

That said, that will be Kemerer’s 7th year in school, right? That’s a long time for someone not on a PhD or similar track at one school.
I also think that would be his 7th year.

I hope all the Hawks come back next year and all our guys come back, then we can concede to them again, but we can do it right away.

I believe this Iowa team is very, very good= my fear is they come back as a very, very good team.
Wouldn‘t answer the last question, since it answers itself.

Gives our guys something to go after. I honestly enjoy the titles settled on Saturday nights. Cael has done the alleged impossible so many times, that's why we are so blessed as fans.

Reactions: Lb4097
ADVERTISEMENT