ADVERTISEMENT

Very distributing moment

Just one of those moments where angry sets in and You can’t think of a good reply. What really bothers me is this guy was at least 60.[/QUOTE
Obviously the guy was trying to get a rise out of you. The best thing to do (and maybe what you even did) is to just give him that look that says “Yeah...OK nut job”.

Just one of those moments where angry sets in and You can’t think of a good reply. What really bothers me is this guy was at least 60.

Going forward it's important to remember that a 60+ y/o men sitting in a bar on a Saturday afternoon is either a loser, a drunk, or perhaps both.

Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
sitting in Buffalo Wild swing after a nice day of golf, wearing my PSU shirt and hat, guy two seats down from me asks if I would rather have a shower at Penn State or a drink at Temple! Almost got into an altercation. Never has happened to me. While, people are real A holes!!!
Honestly I would not have even answered to him. The dude wants to get a rise out of you...don't give him the pleasure.

Never has happened to me.
Nothing as direct as what you experienced, but snide little remarks have often come my way.
I ask the person A) where'd you get your misinformation?, B) do you have a reading comprehension problem? C) Would you like me to compile the facts and present them to you?
Usually, by question 3's finish, it is quiet.
Depending on who it is -- sometimes people I know -- I'll throw in a "you're a dumbass" to top it off.

OL

Reactions: Judge Smails
One could just start asking simple questions about the whole Sandusky situation to demonstrate their level of ignorance with the situation.

Example: I have no problems showering at Penn State. Why do you ask?

Chances are they'll fumble around and utter something utterly ridiculous and, as Mark Twain said, will clearly show themselves to be the fool by opening their mouth

jjc1_bio.jpg

John Coyle
Director of Corporate Sponsors for the Center for Supply Chain Research , Professor Emeritus of Business Administration
Department: Center for Supply Chain Research, Supply Chain and Information Systems
Office: Business Building
Phone: 814-863-1231
Fax: 814-863-7067
E-mail: jjc1@psu.edu

Introduction

John J. Coyle is currently Director of Corporate Relations for the Center for Supply Chain Research and Professor Emeritus of Logistics and Supply Chain Management in the Smeal College of Business at Penn State University. He holds a B.S. and M.S from Penn State, and earned his doctorate from Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, where he was a U.S. Steel Fellow. He joined the Penn State faculty in 1961, and attained the rank of Full Professor in 1967. In addition to his teaching responsibilities, he has served in a number of administrative positions including: Department Head, Assistant Dean, Senior Associate Dean. Special Assistant for Strategic Planning to the University President, and Executive Director of the Center for Supply Chain Research. He also served as Penn State's Faculty Representative to the NCAA for 30 years and to the Big Ten for ten years. Dr. Coyle was the Editor of the Journal of Business Logistics form 1990 to 1996. He has authored or co-authored 20 books or monographs and numerous articles in professional journals. He has received 14 awards at Penn State for teaching excellence and advising. In addition, he received the Council of Logistics Management's Distinguished Service Award in 1991; the Philadelphia Traffic Club's Person of the Year Award in 2003; the Eccles Medal from the International Society of Logistics for his contributions to the Department of Defense and the Lion's Paw Medal from Penn State for Distinguished Service, both in 2004. Dr. Coyle currently serves on the Boards of three logistics and supply chain service companies, the Advisory Board of the NLDC and continues to be active in teaching in the Executive Education Programs at Penn State.

Expertise
Supply Chain Management
Change Management in Supply Chains
Logistics, Marketing and Manufacturing Interfaces
Distribution Channels and Reverse Logistics

Education
DBA, Indiana University, Bloomington,

M.S., Penn State University,

B.S., Penn State University
jjc1_bio.jpg

John Coyle
Director of Corporate Sponsors for the Center for Supply Chain Research , Professor Emeritus of Business Administration
Department: Center for Supply Chain Research, Supply Chain and Information Systems
Office: Business Building
Phone: 814-863-1231
Fax: 814-863-7067
E-mail: jjc1@psu.edu

Introduction

John J. Coyle is currently Director of Corporate Relations for the Center for Supply Chain Research and Professor Emeritus of Logistics and Supply Chain Management in the Smeal College of Business at Penn State University. He holds a B.S. and M.S from Penn State, and earned his doctorate from Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, where he was a U.S. Steel Fellow. He joined the Penn State faculty in 1961, and attained the rank of Full Professor in 1967. In addition to his teaching responsibilities, he has served in a number of administrative positions including: Department Head, Assistant Dean, Senior Associate Dean. Special Assistant for Strategic Planning to the University President, and Executive Director of the Center for Supply Chain Research. He also served as Penn State's Faculty Representative to the NCAA for 30 years and to the Big Ten for ten years. Dr. Coyle was the Editor of the Journal of Business Logistics form 1990 to 1996. He has authored or co-authored 20 books or monographs and numerous articles in professional journals. He has received 14 awards at Penn State for teaching excellence and advising. In addition, he received the Council of Logistics Management's Distinguished Service Award in 1991; the Philadelphia Traffic Club's Person of the Year Award in 2003; the Eccles Medal from the International Society of Logistics for his contributions to the Department of Defense and the Lion's Paw Medal from Penn State for Distinguished Service, both in 2004. Dr. Coyle currently serves on the Boards of three logistics and supply chain service companies, the Advisory Board of the NLDC and continues to be active in teaching in the Executive Education Programs at Penn State.

Expertise
Supply Chain Management
Change Management in Supply Chains
Logistics, Marketing and Manufacturing Interfaces
Distribution Channels and Reverse Logistics

Education
DBA, Indiana University, Bloomington,

M.S., Penn State University,

B.S., Penn State University

Wow, can't believe he's still around. Had a class he taught back around 79. He's been there a while
He might have taken a fork lift and put the guy up on one of the higher racks.

You should have asked the guy if his mother drank at Temple.

Going forward it's important to remember that a 60+ y/o men sitting in a bar on a Saturday afternoon is either a loser, a drunk, or perhaps both.
That was the norm when I was young. Sitting at a bar when you're retired at any time after the bar opens.... Nothing wrong with it. I can't tell you how many older guys I've seen at the club house bar at noon...

Should have just leaned in, kissed him on the forhead and asked if he wanted to join you for a shower to to find out, now that would have been disturbing.

For the first time in a very long time I had someone give me some crap about Penn State on Saturday night.

Was at a place in NJ for a 50th birthday celebration. A good band was playing and the place was packed. Our group became friendly with a group of about 20 at a long table next to ours. Turns out they were all 30-something lawyers from Manhattan. I was speaking to thin one young female attorney when she told me she did her undergrad at Wisconsin. I said something like “Go Big Ten....I went to Penn State”. She told me she hated Penn State, went on a JoePa rant, told me she knows lots of Penn Staters and that we just don’t get it.

I smiled and told her that I understood the way she felt but that there is a lot about what happened that she might not be aware, and that something like this could happen anywhere, even Wisconsin. She then got really pissed off and told me that no way it could happen there because folks in Wisconsin are much more open and honest than people from Pennsylvania.

I stood there a little dumbfounded over what she just said to me. I said “OK....I think you need another glass of wine”. At the end of the night I saw her as we were leaving and I tapped her shoulder and said “Go Badgers”. She said to me “Go Badgers but not Penn State”.

For the first time in a very long time I had someone give me some crap about Penn State on Saturday night.

Was at a place in NJ for a 50th birthday celebration. A good band was playing and the place was packed. Our group became friendly with a group of about 20 at a long table next to ours. Turns out they were all 30-something lawyers from Manhattan. I was speaking to thin one young female attorney when she told me she did her undergrad at Wisconsin. I said something like “Go Big Ten....I went to Penn State”. She told me she hated Penn State, went on a JoePa rant, told me she knows lots of Penn Staters and that we just don’t get it.

I smiled and told her that I understood the way she felt but that there is a lot about what happened that she might not be aware, and that something like this could happen anywhere, even Wisconsin. She then got really pissed off and told me that no way it could happen there because folks in Wisconsin are much more open and honest than people from Pennsylvania.

I stood there a little dumbfounded over what she just said to me. I said “OK....I think you need another glass of wine”. At the end of the night I saw her as we were leaving and I tapped her shoulder and said “Go Badgers”. She said to me “Go Badgers but not Penn State”.
When you generalize about a whole state, you’ve lost the argument.

Reactions: Westcoast24

You should have said,”yeah it was nice the Badgers were our bitches in the Big10 Championship game two years ago. That slapping sound you heard was your Badger asses getting beat”.

Reactions: Hartzie

Yeah, Jeffrey Dahmer was a real peach.

sitting in Buffalo Wild swing after a nice day of golf, wearing my PSU shirt and hat, guy two seats down from me asks if I would rather have a shower at Penn State or a drink at Temple! Almost got into an altercation. Never has happened to me. While, people are real A holes!!!

My answer would have been a shower at Penn State and wish you'd be in there with me...

Similar thing, I played in a Bocce league in Philly (3 time champ FYI) and after shutting out some prick’s team in the playoffs while wearing a Psu wind breaker he goes off talking about child rape and showers at Penn State. I let two comments go and on the third I lost my shit. Shoved him and said first he was a terrible human for making light of a tragedy and second if he said it one more time to me that him and I were going outside. At that point one of my teammates pulled me back and the guy didn’t say another word to me.
Good for you. Agree with your approach. Anyone who thinks it's funny is a trash bag of the highest order.

Dumb bit$h.

You're better than me; my temper would have landed up in his face.

You took the “high road” which is always the best route.

Your reply should have been:

1 To be fruitful and multiply.

2 Don't look now, but there's one man too many in this room, and I think it's you.

3 You've got the brain of a four-year old boy, and I bet he was glad to get rid of it.

4 Your parents married because they wanted children. Imagine their disappointment when you arrived.

Last edited:

The last time I went to Wisconsin was to visit a friend who's wife was going to UW. We stopped at a yard sale next to the stadium.. He got out to look, I stayed in the car. I glanced to my right and there was a girl, about 250-300 lbs. Standing butt ass naked in her houses doorway just checking out the people at the yard sale. I guess that's normal around there.

The last time I went to Wisconsin was to visit a friend who's wife was going to UW. We stopped at a yard sale next to the stadium.. He got out to look, I stayed in the car. I glanced to my right and there was a girl, about 250-300 lbs. Standing butt ass naked in her houses doorway just checking out the people at the yard sale. I guess that's normal around there.

Years ago, I worked in a town in NEPA that was by and large a majority Polish ethnicity. I would see a lot of males who I would consider to be in "buff" shape walking around with female partners who to call them obese would be understating the fact. The manager who I worked with, who was Polish and one day I asked "Why do the men in this town seem attracted to grossly overweight women when they obviously could do much better"? His reply: "Some men like to have something to hold onto when they're making out with their woman".

ADVERTISEMENT