ADVERTISEMENT

Verkleeren vs Maruca?

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Let's just assume for a minute that Verk's win on Sunday at least earned him a start on Friday. How do we think he fares on the road against a very solid Maruca? A win could give him a slight leg up on the race to start over Gardner and others.
I'll say Verk wins 4-2 on one of his gorgeous duck unders.
What do others think? Predictions?

Need to add some context if you’re asking for predictions.

Maruca is a senior, but only 3-4 on the year. He was decked vs Denton Spencer (UVA), lost to a UPJ kid (6-2) and lost to Lehigh’s Jimmy Hoffman (4-1).

EDIT: ^^ What he said. ^^

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Verk needs a solid win here 4 point margin minimum to impress, gain confidence and maybe secure the next start as well. Come on Verk open it up and work towards bonus!

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz
Most probable result is a decision either way. I expect a low scoring affair, though anything can happen on the mat.

Traveling cross-country and unfamiliar territory will be factors, though our coaches are among the best at getting guys to embrace the opportunity. Verk will likely be given a chance to shine Friday...It’s now up to him to show separation as the battle with Gardner is too close to call.

I just hope the cross country trip doesn't have an impact on his weight drop.

We've seen in the past when he had a quick drop his body let him down a little.

I'm sure if he gets the go the coaches have that figured out and a plan for his decent this week before ever leaving.

Big match for whomever goes

#itrustincael

Reactions: diggerpup
Verk needs a solid win here 4 point margin minimum to impress, gain confidence and maybe secure the next start as well. Come on Verk open it up and work towards bonus!
We've seen Verk for 3 years now. That's not the way he wrestles. Additionally if you watched him in HS, same thing. If the opponent is overmatched, Jarod will put up big points. Solid opponents, hes happy to rely on good position and waiting for opportunities. More often than not it results in a win.

If he catches a headlock- which he's really good at- maybe we see a 4 point win. Otherwise just be happy with the W.

The room doesn't magically turn everyone into a creative bonus point machine. Hopefully its just making everyone better - in their own way.

Don't imagine we see Shak this week. If Berge is cleared I think he will go. Good to see that Conel is listed as going.

I was talking with a follower the other day, and we talked about Conel. I know that there could be some rust, but his thoughts were that Conel was struggling with the weight cut, and, therefore, gassing.

Does anyone else hear this as well?

I was talking with a follower the other day, and we talked about Conel. I know that there could be some rust, but his thoughts were that Conel was struggling with the weight cut, and, therefore, gassing.

No but Cael said in an interview two weeks ago something along the lines of "we are helping him with his weight" which in Cael speak could be he's still 15lbs over the week of weigh ins.... I would not be surprised at all of he is still too heavy not yet in competition shape and early in his process learning what we have to teach him

Rumorology 101: Very likely that his thoughts = his interpretation of Cael's coachspeak at media day.

Conel got too big? Conel isn't in shape after his injury? Conel didn't have good weight mgmt practices at Kent State? Something else?

Any or all could be inferred from Cael's comments. So those comments mean what each fan wants them to mean.

Rumorology 101: Very likely that his thoughts = his interpretation of Cael's coachspeak at media day.

Conel got too big? Conel isn't in shape after his injury? Conel didn't have good weight mgmt practices at Kent State? Something else?

Any or all could be inferred from Cael's comments. So those comments mean what each fan wants them to mean.

That's why I ask for other opinions on this board?
I'm never comfortable with "Rumorology 101."

No but Cael said in an interview two weeks ago something along the lines of "we are helping him with his weight" which in Cael speak could be he's still 15lbs over the week of weigh ins.... I would not be surprised at all of he is still too heavy not yet in competition shape and early in his process learning what we have to teach him

Look, I'm all for using we when discussing athletic teams of colleges you've attended.

But using "we" in the context of how Cael and the coaches are instructing and improving a wrestler, is next level. I'd love to know what you personally are contributing to the teaching of Kyle Conel.

Reactions: slushhead and rmg78
Look, I'm all for using we when discussing athletic teams of colleges you've attended.

But using "we" in the context of how Cael and the coaches are instructing and improving a wrestler, is next level. I'd love to know what you personally are contributing to the teaching of Kyle Conel.
Maybe online constructive criticism? ;)

... but then that would mean I need to teach you as well! That is certainly not why I am here. Besides, there are some whom I believe are 'unteachable'.

That's why I ask for other opinions on this board?
I'm never comfortable with "Rumorology 101."
rumorology is divine!

images

Reactions: danoftw

Conel's Profs have noted that Kyle's written work has become increasingly verbose.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT