ADVERTISEMENT

Vanilla Without A Single Wrinkle!

ILLINOISLION

May 29, 2001
The coaching staff coming in with this game plan was either totally lazy and / or totally overconfident and / or totally disrespectful of MSU. It would work against Rutgers, period.

Coming off a bye week.....at home.....against a really beat-up team, well, there’s no way to spin it.

McSorley had an AWFUL game: missing our TE for a gift first down (a play we never went back to), badly missing Thompson on a crossing pattern (a play we never went back to), throwing the JJ fade out-of-bounds, way out-of-bounds. Way overthrowing a couple of deep attempts. Never looking back to see Sanders all alone in the flat at least 6-8 times in the game. Snapping the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock late in the game, not staying in-bounds on the third down play.

But the game plan SUCKED, period. NOTHING new on O or D.

On O, no Lion (even if only a diversion). No stop, pump and go pass patterns. Very little motion, no toss sweeps or even a hint of a misdirection play. No bubble screens or screen passes. No designed QB rollouts. NOTHING different or creative.

On D, the only difference I saw was the tendency for the corners to play closer to the line-of-scrimmage. Same failure to contain the QB on his 3-4 rollout plays to the left and when pressured he always escaped to his right. OUR blitzes are always the same, always from off the line-of-scrimmage giving the QB the extra second or two to get rid of the pass. Our safeties don’t defend the center of the field and never provide cover on sideline go passes like the game winner. NOTHING different or creative.

Special teams, giving up the easy fake punt.
How about a fake punt of our own? Or how about a kickoff maybe to the right side of the field about the 20 yd line that we might have a chance to recover? Three special team giveaways on kicks in six games. Bet we lead the country in that category.

Kudos to MSU. They showed up, injured, and played hard and had a game plan that said we’re going to do everything we can to win this game. To their credit, they did.

They had no business even being in the game. But that’s why they play the game. For the second time in three weeks Penn State GAVE AWAY a game that they should have won easily. These games stay with you forever.

The coaching staff coming in with this game plan was either totally lazy and / or totally overconfident and / or totally disrespectful of MSU. It would work against Rutgers, period.

Coming off a bye week.....at home.....against a really beat-up team, well, there’s no way to spin it.

McSorley had an AWFUL game: missing our TE for a gift first down (a play we never went back to), badly missing Thompson on a crossing pattern (a play we never went back to), throwing the JJ fade out-of-bounds, way out-of-bounds. Way overthrowing a couple of deep attempts. Never looking back to see Sanders all alone in the flat at least 6-8 times in the game. Snapping the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock late in the game, not staying in-bounds on the third down play.

On O, no Lion (even if only a diversion). No stop, pump and go pass patterns. Very little motion, no toss sweeps or even a hint of a misdirection play. No bubble screens or screen passes. No designed QB rollouts. NOTHING different or creative.

On D, the only difference I saw was the tendency for the corners to play closer to the line-of-scrimmage. Same failure to contain the QB on his 3-4 rollout plays to the left and when pressured he always escaped to his right. OUR blitzes are always the same, always from off the line-of-scrimmage giving the QB the extra second or two to get rid of the pass. Our safeties don’t defend the center of the field and never provide cover on sideline go passes like the game winner. NOTHING different or creative.

How about a fake punt of our own? Or how about a kickoff maybe to the right side of the field about the 20 yd line that we might have a chance to recover? Three special team giveaways on kicks in six games. Bet we lead the country in that category.

Kudos to MSU. They showed up, injured, and played hard and had a game plan that said we’re going to do everything we can to win this game. To their credit, they did.

They had no business even being in the game. But that’s why they play the game. For the second time in three weeks Penn State GAVE AWAY a game that they should have won easily. These games stay with you forever.

From your description it sounds like guys were open all day .... and I’d basically agree

Get it all out.

Games like these, I’m NEVER able to get it all out, they stick in my stomach for a long long time, forever.

Games where the other teams actually beat us, I never think about.....like the UMich game two years ago, I never think about it. The Stanford bowl debacle, hey, it happens, even to the team and the coach that has one of the best bowl records in CFB.

But games that we are in position to win.....good and great position to win.....and then we don’t because of our own self-inflicted dumb ass plays and / or dumb ass play calling, I admit I take these too personally, way too seriously. And I’ve done so since the mid-‘60’s.

I’ve NEVER accepted lower expectations. I guess I’m gonna have to teach an old dog new tricks.

Last edited:
Games like these, I’m NEVER able to get it all out, they stick in my stomach for a long long time, forever.

Games where the other teams actually beat us, I never think about.....like the UMich game two years ago, I never think about it. The Stanford bowl debacle, hey, it happens, even to the team and the coach that has one of the best bowl records in CFB.

But games that we are in position to win.....good and great position to win.....and then we don’t because of our own self- inflicted dumb ass plays and / or dumb ass play calling, I admit I take these too personally, way too seriously. And I’ve done so since the mid-‘60’s.

I’ve NEVER accepted lower expectations. I guess I’m gonna have to teach an old dog new tricks.
Hero! BTW Kansas b-ball is pay for play.

They shouldn’t have needed wrinkles in this game. They just needed to freaking execute. Poor fundamentals, some bad breaks and inability to prepare for dantonios tricks lost it.

But games that we are in position to win.....good and great position to win.....and then we don’t because of our own self- inflicted dumb ass plays and / or dumb ass play calling, I admit I take these too personally, way too seriously. And I’ve done so since the mid-‘60’s.

I was there and fully agree with you. I said the exact same thing about Sanders being open and never getting a look. This was possibly the poorest offensive game plan in years. We thought Galen and Jay were calling the plays.
Why did we go pass crazy all game given how poor their pass defense was supposed to be? Was it Trace didn't have enough time? He looked ok on most plays to me
I too as an older guy feel like you about these losses. But it seems to me we are in the minority. Either the younger people don't expect to win, or they shake it off within a few minutes. Very few long faces walking out of the stadium.

Reactions: Ct. Lion
Vanilla without a single wrinkle can be a good thing.:)

9791ca75a86e4775d8973f3abf04e718.jpg.cf.jpg

Illinoislion I just have to agree with you on so many points. I don't think I have ever been as disappointed with a loss since maybe 6-4 Iowa, well alright maybe the shoe last year. McSorley definitely was not sharp. It was a very vanilla effort, especially on offense. Dantonio always has a couple of tricks and they are usually well executed. Every game I keep waiting for something unusual like a Journey Brown jet sweep or something. I think MSU was very tough up the middle but I don't think we tested the edges very well. Give MSU credit, they played with heart. But wow, our vertical game hasn't be great this year. After such a great week of practice, I hoped for more.

If our DB’s catch the ball, we win, simple as that
It's never as simple as that. Games are 4 quarters and consist of coaching, special teams, defense and offense. There were plenty of plays in all aspects of the game and on the sidelines that produced this loss. To say one or 2 plays looses a game is just dumb. The whole game outside of Miles' Barkley-esque run just sucked.

Illinoislion I just have to agree with you on so many points. I don't think I have ever been as disappointed with a loss since maybe 6-4 Iowa, well alright maybe the shoe last year. McSorley definitely was not sharp. It was a very vanilla effort, especially on offense. Dantonio always has a couple of tricks and they are usually well executed. Every game I keep waiting for something unusual like a Journey Brown jet sweep or something. I think MSU was very tough up the middle but I don't think we tested the edges very well. Give MSU credit, they played with heart. But wow, our vertical game hasn't be great this year. After such a great week of practice, I hoped for more.

And coming off a home game AND a bye week, I expected SOMETHING. It’s like we didn’t even scout MSU or game plan for them in ANY way.

It’s like we thought we were going to play Rutgers, let’s just show up, we got this game.

Very corrrct on missing Sanders...on a couple of those Miles could still be running...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT