ADVERTISEMENT

Van Ness + many others at Ultimate Club Duals today

SVN is the real deal, book it!

We have gotten so spoiled that even top 5 PfP kids get a lot of hand wringing here after an off season loss or two.

Rather than force him up a weight early, I would like him to shirt and see Nick and Beau figure out 141 and 149.

One thing is for certain, two years from now the duo of Beau & SVN is going to be part of the next big wave.

It must be an Appalachian thing ... ;)

Could be a Texas thing. When I was stationed down there, I started taking on some local traits and whipped up a massive gumbo pot of chili. I was eating 3-4 bowls a day trying to finish it off and finally took a break when it looked the same going out of my body as it did entering my mouth. Damn, it was good though!

Reactions: Dogwelder
Could be a Texas thing. When I was stationed down there, I started taking on some local traits and whipped up a massive gumbo pot of chili. I was eating 3-4 bowls a day trying to finish it off and finally took a break when it looked the same going out of my body as it did entering my mouth. Damn, it was good though!
It could also be a Transylvania thing! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: PASLP2
We will struggle to beat iowa next yr, not that i think its impossible, they still have 10 scoring weights. We may or may not have 10 scoring weights. They had more bonus points and i believe a better chance to have more AA’s.
If the Ivy league comes in full strength that will change things but possibly on both squads.

We will struggle to beat iowa next yr, not that i think its impossible, they still have 10 scoring weights. We may or may not have 10 scoring weights. They had more bonus points and i believe a better chance to have more AA’s.
If the Ivy league comes in full strength that will change things but possibly on both squads.

We will score more bonus next year based upon what previous teams coached by Cael have done in terms of development. RBY, Lee, Starocci, Brooks and Kerk should all have more bonus points. I would not rule out the same happening at 125 if Howard can recover. If we are going to beat Iowa that is how it will be done. Having an "extra wrestler" at NCAAs.

The Ivy League has three guys outside of Cornell who are ranked in the top eight (Glory and Monday from Princeton, and Slavilouski from Harvard). Cornell has Vito, Yianni, and Darmstadt (and some now-really-old freshman!). Oh, Ramirez (Cornell) beat Monday this year 10-0, and Fernandes (Cornell) pinned Slavilouski in their only match. Just sayin'...

The Ivy League has three guys outside of Cornell who are ranked in the top eight (Glory and Monday from Princeton, and Slavilouski from Harvard). Cornell has Vito, Yianni, and Darmstadt (and some now-really-old freshman!). Oh, Ramirez (Cornell) beat Monday this year 10-0, and Fernandes (Cornell) pinned Slavilouski in their only match. Just sayin'...
Neither HWT will beat Kerk or Cass. Fernandes might deny some bonus.

Assuming this is WrestleStat rankings because Slavikouski is a classic R12 type -- winning record vs. NCAA qualifiers, losing record vs. AAs. 10 seed in 2020 without Kerk, Schultz, Elam, Laird, and Fernandes.

Neither HWT will beat Kerk or Cass. Fernandes might deny some bonus.

Assuming this is WrestleStat rankings because Slavikouski is a classic R12 type -- winning record vs. NCAA qualifiers, losing record vs. AAs. 10 seed in 2020 without Kerk, Schultz, Elam, Laird, and Fernandes.
Yes, from wrestlestat rankings. My point was that there are very few Ivy League wrestlers who will have an impact on the top teams' scores (aside from the very occasional upset); the losses to two Cornell freshmen was to emphasize that observation. Heck, the entire EIWA had only two AAs this year, and neither was in the Ivy League (or even Lehigh, for that matter).

My hope is that all the Penn State wrestlers stay healthy throughout the season and the post-season tourneys. A full-strength Penn State team will be capable of beating the Hawkeyes, not a doubt in my mind.

There's always quite a few wacky results at NCAA's, so using logic, data, and facts won't predict the results. Preparation and peaking will, but they're harder to measure. That's the Penn State advantage!

I doubt the NCAA has rules against red shitting, but I would be surprised if kids would sign on knowing they would red shit. I am sure they are getting a full ride to red shit. Did Mike Evans red shit. What about Chad Redd?

Both Cornell and Nebraska champion their Red heritage......who knew?

I doubt the NCAA has rules against red shitting, but I would be surprised if kids would sign on knowing they would red shit. I am sure they are getting a full ride to red shit. Did Mike Evans red shit. What about Chad Redd?

Both Cornell and Nebraska champion their Red heritage......who knew?
All I know is that Silas Redd was a red shit and a Redd shit. Always will be in my book

Is this where Redshitting originated?

Yes, from wrestlestat rankings. My point was that there are very few Ivy League wrestlers who will have an impact on the top teams' scores (aside from the very occasional upset); the losses to two Cornell freshmen was to emphasize that observation. Heck, the entire EIWA had only two AAs this year, and neither was in the Ivy League (or even Lehigh, for that matter).
If the Ivy League had even one AA this year I, for one and probably for many, would have been surprised beyond belief. Lol.

Reactions: McScoreley
It's partially the Ivy Leagues coming back but doing a full season of 25-30 matches (knock on wood) will allow conference allocations to be done properly. That will change things more than people think, a lot more landmines will come into place. Also obviously there will be kids who make drastic improvements and come out of nowhere.

Because you were all begging for a Red Shitting GIF...
giphy-downsized-large.gif

@CSauertiegPSU, in your opinion, does Shayne need a year to grow into 149?
It’s hard to say. He didn’t look undersized at 65kg (143.3) but I don’t think he was doing much to cut to there. I think he walks anywhere between 145-150, so he’s larger than Bartlett but not by a ton. With a good lifting and eating program I think he could get there he just wouldn’t be large for the weight.

Reactions: Ja1339
It’s hard to say. He didn’t look undersized at 65kg (143.3) but I don’t think he was doing much to cut to there. I think he walks anywhere between 145-150, so he’s larger than Bartlett but not by a ton. With a good lifting and eating program I think he could get there he just wouldn’t be large for the weight.
I remember thinking he didn't look small when he wrestled Saunders. I think that match is what started the hype with Van Ness as a 149 AA this year. He notched 5 legitimate takedowns on Saunders. His 4 point move wouldn't be points in folk but I think would have been a takedown if the ref had them work through the position (Saunders was hanging on and Shayne was working on a go behind). The first exchange was scored 2-1 Saunders (since Shayne rolled through on his back and ended up behind) I think that's 2-0 Shayne in folk. This was literally his first match out of surgery also against an ELITE opponent.

I remember thinking he didn't look small when he wrestled Saunders. I think that match is what started the hype with Van Ness as a 149 AA this year. He notched 5 legitimate takedowns on Saunders. His 4 point move wouldn't be points in folk but I think would have been a takedown if the ref had them work through the position (Saunders was hanging on and Shayne was working on a go behind). The first exchange was scored 2-1 Saunders (since Shayne rolled through on his back and ended up behind) I think that's 2-0 Shayne in folk. This was literally his first match out of surgery also against an ELITE opponent.
Agreed. Isn't that what the bulk of fans do? From one bout to super hero.

Here's the thing imo. Like every great high school wrestler, SVN oozes talent. Most need a period of time to "tighten things up" as I've heard Cael say.

Willie significantly dropped Shayne in his rankings. Still think a lot of this is panic and we all know what happens when these kids get in the room/ Shayne's desire to shoot and score is going to go over really well and I think we're lucky to have the kid on board.
Nope. Just like Noff, Nickal, Taylor, Megaludis, Lee, Joseph, Hall, Starocci, Brooks and many others PSU recruits - just an overhyped, underperforming nice kid. Unless we are now going to also challenge whether or not he is a nice kid.

Willie significantly dropped Shayne in his rankings. Still think a lot of this is panic and we all know what happens when these kids get in the room/ Shayne's desire to shoot and score is going to go over really well and I think we're lucky to have the kid on board.
This event is going in my Andy McCulley/Jake Christiansen Memorial Message Board Memory Binder

Frankly, it doesn't matter what the rankings say. Once they get in the Penn State room, all they need to do is ask the coaches how good they are. For the wrestlers, ignoring the "rank"ers is a good thing.

Not questioning @smalls103 but I am curious how his PFP ranking works. SVN is #6 at 138 but #8 PFP. Mendez is the only 138 in PFP ahead of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT