ADVERTISEMENT

Van Ness + many others at Ultimate Club Duals today

Back to duals....
Was anyone more impressive than BoBas?
7-0 on weekend
60-0 score in techs and one other pin
5:02 total time on mat
Kid is definitely a special talent. Definitely one to keep a close eye on since he's right in our backyard. I'm definitely curious to see how he develops over the years, he has gotten as good of a start as possible obviously. He already would be an elite HS talent (tech falled #6 106 19-4 with 4 cuts in Willie's board)

Reactions: kevin310
Willie on his showed mentioned how Taylor's M2 team was a bunch of ringers (I think Bassett included)

Ask some Iowa fans and they'd say, he truly learned coaching from his mentor ;)

I will trust Cael and the process over a resident expert or a pundit here.
lol why are you here? it's a discussion forum. you don't want people to discuss?

also didn't realize he actually took another loss this weekend to Lamer 12-6. the flashes are there, but his defense needs a lot of work. i think he'll be special after a couple years in the room.

lol why are you here? it's a discussion forum. you don't want people to discuss?

also didn't realize he actually took another loss this weekend to Lamer 12-6. the flashes are there, but his defense needs a lot of work. i think he'll be special after a couple years in the room.
Having a discussion is one thing, but making a declaration is another. So I trust in Cael, thank you very much.

Not every kids are going to be like Spencer Lee, and even he took a loss. Also, remember when the pundits said Spencer needed a rs year so he can bulk up to challenge other top 125 pounders? A lot of time pundits don't know what they are talking about.

Having a discussion is one thing, but making a declaration is another. So I trust in Cael, thank you very much.

Not every kids are going to be like Spencer Lee, and even he took a loss. Also, remember when the pundits said Spencer needed a rs year so he can bulk up to challenge other top 125 pounders? A lot of time pundits don't know what they are talking about.
Who would disagree? It's a fan forum. This is just the most throw away kind of post. "Well the coaches know best, so I trust them." Well duh dude. Why waste your time typing it out?

Every post on here is an opinion. Nobody thinks they have the authority to slap the redshirt on SVN. We just think it looks like that's the right move at this point.

Reactions: CurtisLoew40

What declarations are you referring to?

Willie and Corby analyzed Van Ness in depth on their show. I would say they would agree with your analysis, the kid isn't a defender. That being said, I think the term "flashes" is inaccurate. That would imply he's bad mostly and occasionally show signs of him being good. It's the opposite, he's GOOD most of the times and occasionally shows signs of needing a ton of work.

Maybe he's used to getting away with just letting kids get to his legs at the HS level even against top competition. He can go 7 minutes (they were only 4 minute matches which doesn't play to his advantages) and has seemingly unlimited attacks in his arsenal. He lost his 2 matches because he seemed lost in a handfight vs headfight. Question becomes at this point, how fast can Cael fix that plus add good weight. Put Zain on him in a NLWC practice and he'll need to learn handfights VERY quickly. Put Lee on him in a regular practice and he'll see just how fast someone can get to his legs. As Willie mentioned and I believe most coaches would agree, defense is a lot more fixable than trying to teach a non offensive wrestler more attacks.

Starocci mentioned struggling with takedowns in the room but once mentally broke through that, he exponentially improved and became a champion. I can see SVN being the reverse of that. Carter ultimately stayed in RS obviously (since we had Mark) but just from an eye test, the kid was wrestling at an AA level at the end of his true freshman year.

Reactions: Antaeus
Willie and Corby analyzed Van Ness in depth on their show. I would say they would agree with your analysis, the kid isn't a defender. That being said, I think the term "flashes" is inaccurate. That would imply he's bad mostly and occasionally show signs of him being good. It's the opposite, he's GOOD most of the times and occasionally shows signs of needing a ton of work.

Maybe he's used to getting away with just letting kids get to his legs at the HS level even against top competition. He can go 7 minutes (they were only 4 minute matches which doesn't play to his advantages) and has seemingly unlimited attacks in his arsenal. He lost his 2 matches because he seemed lost in a handfight vs headfight. Question becomes at this point, how fast can Cael fix that plus add good weight. Put Zain on him in a NLWC practice and he'll need to learn handfights VERY quickly. Put Lee on him in a regular practice and he'll see just how fast someone can get to his legs. As Willie mentioned and I believe most coaches would agree, defense is a lot more fixable than trying to teach a non offensive wrestler more attacks.

Starocci mentioned struggling with takedowns in the room but once mentally broke through that, he exponentially improved and became a champion. I can see SVN being the reverse of that. Carter ultimately stayed in RS obviously (since we had Mark) but just from an eye test, the kid was wrestling at an AA level at the end of his true freshman year.
Don't disagree at all. He's definitely good most of the time. When I say flashes, I just mean the way he moves people with his hands and flows to attacks. Maybe the better way to put it would be you can see the seeds of future greatness in his wrestling.

It's funny that you list handfighting as a weakness and I agree, but it's also his biggest strength. He's a great offensive handfighter, but his aggression and physicality often puts him in bad position and solid guys like Alanis and Lamer were able to pick him apart a bit. If he can can find a way to pair that offensiveness in his handfigthing, the way he moves people all over the mat and chases angles, with some solid head/hands discipline and better defensive reactions, he'll be one of the more dominant handfighters in the country.

I thought Willie and Corby were spot on with their analysis. You can just see how SVN could be great in the future that maybe we were a little quick to put him at that level already when he still has some weaknesses he needs to address and most likely will.

Who would disagree? It's a fan forum. This is just the most throw away kind of post. "Well the coaches know best, so I trust them." Well duh dude. Why waste your time typing it out?

Every post on here is an opinion. Nobody thinks they have the authority to slap the redshirt on SVN. We just think it looks like that's the right move at this point.
It's kind of funny because people say "let Cael coach" but these debates started because everyone, fans and media alike, just penciled SVN in at 149 and as an AA. That's the epitome of playing coach for Cael.

I absolutely do it because I am a fan on a forum but ultimately I always go back to "Just let Cael handle it" So it seems contradictory but I don't think so. My take is have fun with the discussions but never worry too much. As Cael showed this year, even when he doesn't win, he leaves the fans with a sense of high satisfaction.

You are only as good as your last match with the intranet.

Did anyone read about max Murin having bad case of mono between bigs and nats....the tHR wanted to run him out of town....but then the truth comes out and its like the sh!t talk never happened.

Same here. SvN was an undefeated 4x champ beating men at the last chance and now hes junk. Oh well this makes yahoo lots of $$$ and the crow co hiring.
Murin’s offense has had mono for a few years

Murin’s offense has had mono for a few years
Ironically, I thought Max looked better at NCAAs with mono than at Big Tens without. Murin isn't the most exciting wrestler but getting thrown for 6 in his 2 matches at Big Tens isn't something I expected to happen to him.

Truthfully, whether it's SVN/Nick (cue HoosierLion telling me to stop)/Bartlett/Bearclaw/transfer, we have to find a way to pick points out at 149 next year. It's not a super deep weight class especially with AOC allegedly moving up, technically Yahya Thomas is the 2nd highest returner if that is the case (Yianni is rumored to go there obviously). Sasso is great but he isn't some unbeatable juggernaut either (almost lost Round 2 to Parco)

Either way, Iowa has a pretty set solution there, I'll be interested in seeing what ours is. Max could pull a 2018 or 2019 Luke Pletcher run and win a bunch of 3-2 matches to get to the semis next year or he could get launched and bounced in R12 again. Both are possibly scenarios but 149 points as shown by Iowa this year is more of a cushion than a need.

Ironically, I thought Max looked better at NCAAs with mono than at Big Tens without. Murin isn't the most exciting wrestler but getting thrown for 6 in his 2 matches at Big Tens isn't something I expected to happen to him.

Truthfully, whether it's SVN/Nick (cue HoosierLion telling me to stop)/Bartlett/Bearclaw/transfer, we have to find a way to pick points out at 149 next year. It's not a super deep weight class especially with AOC allegedly moving up, technically Yahya Thomas is the 2nd highest returner if that is the case (Yianni is rumored to go there obviously). Sasso is great but he isn't some unbeatable juggernaut either (almost lost Round 2 to Parco)

Either way, Iowa has a pretty set solution there, I'll be interested in seeing what ours is. Max could pull a 2018 or 2019 Luke Pletcher run and win a bunch of 3-2 matches to get to the semis next year or he could get launched and bounced in R12 again. Both are possibly scenarios but 149 points as shown by Iowa this year is more of a cushion than a need.
I'd guess if he tested positive soon after big 10s he was probably already impacted by it.

Maybe cael will just red shit everyone he can, do a punt yr again. Talk was it would have happened this yr if not for free yr.

• Haha
Reactions: SRATH
Maybe cael will just red shit everyone he can, do a punt yr again. Talk was it would have happened this yr if not for free yr.
I thought that was more about a super limited season and uncertainty of it. No need to use eligibility in that case. I'd be shocked if Cael punted next year with 4 returning champs + 2 AAs (both with a ton of room to grow in a full season)

He has 11 months to figure out the 4 holes on his team. I'll roll with that.

149 is a pretty good weight to have a "hole" at considering how much parity there is from 3-20. Parco was a back up 141 for most of the year and took 5th. YaYa almost didn't qualify and took 3rd. As long as you get a guy there, there's a shot to make a run. Easy to imagine scenarios in which Murin takes 3rd and PSU scores 1-2 points and the total opposite.

149 is a pretty good weight to have a "hole" at considering how much parity there is from 3-20. Parco was a back up 141 for most of the year and took 5th. YaYa almost didn't qualify and took 3rd. As long as you get a guy there, there's a shot to make a run. Easy to imagine scenarios in which Murin takes 3rd and PSU scores 1-2 points and the total opposite.
Times have changed! Remember 2017 when Sorensen and Micah Jordan was a quarters match?

I'll tell you though, if Max places 3rd at 149 next year then we'll definitely need some of the offseason message board rumors to come true to win next year 😂

Haven't we seen how the process works all these years? Even if a talented kid is rs, it doesn't mean he will stay rs for the rest of the year (e.g., Mark Hall). We've also seen based on needs vs. luxury. And, of course, we've seen a kid who are just too talented to sit even for just one match. So, what I am trying to say is... when you think you have Cael figured out, you haven't. There's just too many factors going on. If he ends up being rs, I think the coach saw something or that it could be a luxury thing because of Bartlett, then fine. But declaring SVN should rs because he lost a couple of recent matches before the staff really got their hands on him would be a mistake and it may set up some false impressions on the kid. It might lead some posters who will say "Oh... SVN is not what we thought, so let's get some other recruit now" type of ball rolling (you know they are out there).

That said, critiquing SVN's skills/styles, what he needs to work on and how he lost the last couple of matches is good because not all recruits coming in perfect, not even Spencer.

Haven't we seen how the process works all these years? Even if a talented kid is rs, it doesn't mean he will stay rs for the rest of the year (e.g., Mark Hall). We've also seen based on needs vs. luxury. And, of course, we've seen a kid who are just too talented to sit even for just one match. So, what I am trying to say is... when you think you have Cael figured out, you haven't. There's just too many factors going on. If he ends up being rs, I think the coach saw something or that it could be a luxury thing because of Bartlett, then fine. But declaring SVN should rs because he lost a couple of recent matches before the staff really got their hands on him would be a mistake and it may set up some false impressions on the kid. It might lead some posters who will say "Oh... SVN is not what we thought, so let's get some other recruit now" type of ball rolling (you know they are out there).

That said, critiquing SVN's skills/styles, what he needs to work on and how he lost the last couple of matches is good because not all recruits coming in perfect, not even Spencer.
Lost in this reply is the context of this situation. The entire "he probably needs a redshirt" take is in response to the last month or so of posts on here of people penciling him in as a top 4 guy at 149 next year. He is very clearly not on track for that right now having taken two losses to lower ranked high schoolers down at 138.

That's all this is. He's not the close to finished product that people thought when he teched Saunders a couple months ago. The "wait and see" approach you're talking about is exactly what I'm advocating for.

Lost in this reply is the context of this situation. The entire "he probably needs a redshirt" take is in response to the last month or so of posts on here of people penciling him in as a top 4 guy at 149 next year. He is very clearly not on track for that right now having taken two losses to lower ranked high schoolers down at 138.

That's all this is. He's not the close to finished product that people thought when he teched Saunders a couple months ago. The "wait and see" approach you're talking about is exactly what I'm advocating for.
Yep. See more logic and reason always settles shit down I say lol. Good post I like it 👍

Reactions: APSPSUwrestlingfan

In all fairness spencer was tiny lol. Damn good tho. This year he finally looked to add some size but he’s still not a big 125.

It's kind of funny because people say "let Cael coach" but these debates started because everyone, fans and media alike, just penciled SVN in at 149 and as an AA. That's the epitome of playing coach for Cael.

I absolutely do it because I am a fan on a forum but ultimately I always go back to "Just let Cael handle it" So it seems contradictory but I don't think so. My take is have fun with the discussions but never worry too much. As Cael showed this year, even when he doesn't win, he leaves the fans with a sense of high satisfaction.
Fact is, Coach doesn't know today how things will play out in 6 months, 10 months if you count the season and who will go at Big Ten's and NCAA's. Fans guessing this early is just that, a guess.

Reactions: creamery freak
Definitely should see a doctor for that.

I'd give this guy a call:

IMG_8807.jpg

You don't like tough message boarding.
Honestly, El Jefe I think the expectations for Penn State wrestling fans is the RBY track. Perfect HS record, AA as a true freshman and win it in the 2nd try. Anything but that, is sweaty palms and nervousness. Our middle of the lineup will be unbelievable while our upper weights stack championships and AAs.

It took a while, but I finally figured out who you are, Captain Obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT