ADVERTISEMENT

Van Ness + many others at Ultimate Club Duals today

This is going to rub a lot of you the wrong way, but I see a ton of Joe Lee in SVN. Probably more talented at the high end, but man is he boom or bust.
It might rub a lot of people the wrong way because of the recent memories with Joe. However, it's not a terrible comparison. I've said it before, Joe Lee at his absolute best has beaten up some good competition in ways I haven't even seen our hammers do before (Example, Cenzo beat Connor Flynn 8-4 at Nationals, Joe literally threw Flynn back down on a mat return and pinned him .... he nearly majored Jake Wentzel ... he also pinned a freaking semifinalist in 21 seconds) When he's at his worst, you wonder why we didn't just send a room guy in his place.

If it was another Iowa poster saying that, I feel people might get offended and take it as a slight against SVN but you've earned a reputation on this board that should be you want to have meaningful discussions.

Who is Haiden Drury and why didn't SVN wrestle him? Not judging, just asking. Van Ness is the #1 P4P recruit. Is his stock falling even though it is just freestyle?

Who is Haiden Drury and why didn't SVN wrestle him? Not judging, just asking. Van Ness is the #1 P4P recruit. Is his stock falling even though it is just freestyle?
SVN will be fine. He has wrestled every other match most of the weekend. I think it was by design.

Reactions: WildTurk
He’ll be fine, long term. Agree there.

But I don’t think he’s AA potential at 149 this year. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.

I think BB is a more positionally sound wrestler right now. Much more.

He’ll be fine, long term. Agree there.

But I don’t think he’s AA potential at 149 this year. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.

I think BB is a more positionally sound wrestler right now. Much more.
I went back and watched it again, Im not concerned about SvN at all. Reminds me of Nolf wrestling freestyle. Watch the match, I doubt he gives up a point against that kid in folk. The first takedown on the edge, he's worried about giving up a pushout and gives up 4. In folk he sprawls and its a restart. Next score was a 2-2 of SvN action. Next score SvN goes Merkle expecting to get points, eventually the kid frees his leg and goes behind. Then some weird somersault thing out of bounds that scores nothing in folk.

Kid just isn't freestyle savvy.

I wouldn't put much stock in the SVN result simply because all the points he gave up were off his own moves. He wanted to dictate the match, it got thrown back in his face, and he never adjusted, just kept initiating sequences. I'd maybe be concerned if Alanis just took it to him, but he was mostly just countering SVN's carelessness.

Starocci gets ripped in the first 3 minutes of his first dual. The world is falling apart. Oh my!

Nolf got his rear ripped many times in the wrestling room, some who saw it wondered if Nolf had it.

Hoffman beat Beard in Who's number one.

Scrimmages as are practices are learning experiences, the opportunity to try things and learn.

Christ, the PSU NCAAs pessimism has started early this year.

Starocci gets ripped in the first 3 minutes of his first dual. The world is falling apart. Oh my!

Nolf got his rear ripped many times in the wrestling room, some who saw it wondered if Nolf had it.

Hoffman beat Beard in Who's number one.

Scrimmages as are practices are learning experiences, the opportunity to try things and learn.

Christ, the PSU NCAAs pessimism has started early this year.
It's not even a PSU freshman thing. It's a PSU thing period. I've seen Cassar get worked by Garrett Hoffman then beat Kollin Moore handily 2 months later. I've seen Quentin Wright (multiple years in the room) look like he isn't even a Big Ten caliber wrestler before he wins it all. Put it this way, Cael has a LONG time to evaluate Shayne and if he sends him to the postseason next year ... Shayne will be ready. Iowa fans said we had a perfect tournament this year. I think maybe it's time to come to the conclusion that in the words of Bo Nickal "That's what we do"

This we know...1)one of Bartlett and SVN wont be in postseason next year, 2)it’s starting to get obvious that neither is ready for 149, 3)judging by SVN still wrestling below 140 neither really wants too,and 4)Nick Lee refuses to make the jump.

giphy.gif

This is the kind of mature post that lionlover would make. Oh . . . never mind.

I have 3 years of evidence that says Van Ness will be just fine and be very, very good in a very short time.
Unless Lee bumps up to 149, a kid wrestling 138 in April against HS kids isn’t going to make much of a dent against B1G 149s in December.

Again: I’d love to eat crow on this. Please, SVN, make me look dumb.

Unless bartlett grows he’s to small van ness will be fine yes a freshman but fine joe lee will be damn good next yr barring injury 57 will be the eight psu has to see someone step up eithe barrcluagh or boone

Well sometimes i dont proof read before posting, if your that anal about spelling or proper sentences you have more problems than those over on iowa board

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
Just a few weeks ago, Van Ness teched Fausz and pinned Zacherl -- both full-sized post-college 65 kg guys -- but now he can't wrestle college 149s?

Not buying it.
You are only as good as your last match with the intranet.

Did anyone read about max Murin having bad case of mono between bigs and nats....the tHR wanted to run him out of town....but then the truth comes out and its like the sh!t talk never happened.

Same here. SvN was an undefeated 4x champ beating men at the last chance and now hes junk. Oh well this makes yahoo lots of $$$ and the crow co hiring.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Well sometimes i dont proof read before posting, if your that anal about spelling or proper sentences you have more problems than those over on iowa board
If you wish to communicate on a message board, punctuation can influence whether you are even understood. If you don’t care if people understand you, and just like to type keys, by all means, type away.

I’ll admit my bias in that I’ve had Van Ness ranked as the top kid in the 2021 class for 3 years, but his pace and diversity of leg attacks and willingness to learn and improve make me believe he’ll be a great one. Whether that’s in 2021-22 or at 141/49, I won’t say, but barring injury I couldn’t be less concerned

Shayne is amazing and will be a monster for us. I was clearly making a joke at Askren’s expense. Ben can certainly dish it out and I know he can take the ribbing, especially with a cool half mil in his pocket.

I didn’t realize you and Ben were friends, but that’s still no reason to call yourself a dick.

Last edited:
It's not even a PSU freshman thing. It's a PSU thing period. I've seen Cassar get worked by Garrett Hoffman then beat Kollin Moore handily 2 months later. I've seen Quentin Wright (multiple years in the room) look like he isn't even a Big Ten caliber wrestler before he wins it all. Put it this way, Cael has a LONG time to evaluate Shayne and if he sends him to the postseason next year ... Shayne will be ready. Iowa fans said we had a perfect tournament this year. I think maybe it's time to come to the conclusion that in the words of Bo Nickal "That's what we do"
The Lions had far from a perfect tournament. A perfect tournament would have found 16 more team points.
Of course, the last time HR as a collective got anything right about wrestling was.
I'll let you know when it happens.

The Lions had far from a perfect tournament. A perfect tournament would have found 16 more team points.
Of course, the last time HR as a collective got anything right about wrestling was.
I'll let you know when it happens.
Alas - let them think that we had an anomaly of a good tournament and they had a disaster tournament, I hope they do pencil themselves in as a 50 point favorite again in their minds.

Shayne is amazing and will be a monster for us. I was clearly making a joke at Askren’s expense. Ben can certainly dish it out and I know he can take the ribbing, especially with a cool half mil in his pocket.

I didn’t realize you and Ben we’re friends, but that’s still no reason to call yourself a dick.
I’m with you because Ben cost me money last night, but I also had money on the Russian in Rocky IV.

You would have a point if all the great coaches teach some version of the following philosophy:

Have great technique and quality and respect for the art and respect for others and pride in representing yourself and your team when it comes to wrestling, but in your daily life go ahead and cut corners and be in the bottom 2 percentile and show no respect for your cultural heritage nor for the people around you—make them work extra hard to understand and accommodate you. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Antaeus and bwfight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT