ADVERTISEMENT

USGA Ruined a good golf tourney today

Jo Man

Jun 9, 2006
Just awful to watch. 3 rounds under par yet 13 rounds 80 or worse. Who wants to watch the best players in the world 3 putt from 20'. I can go watch that on any muni course. sad to see it get away from them once again.

What they have done is take it from being a test of skill to a test of luck. One shot lands 10 feet from the hole and stays pretty close to where it lands. Another shot lands 5 feet from the hole and rolls 20 yards off of the green. Just silly.

Just awful to watch. 3 rounds under par yet 13 rounds 80 or worse. Who wants to watch the best players in the world 3 putt from 20'. I can go watch that on any muni course. sad to see it get away from them once again.

MULLIGAN - Why not post this in the US Open thread with almost 100 other comments?

And no, there were 8 scores 80 and above today, not 13. But yes, the USGA screwed up royally (AGAIN) and has actually apologized for it.

MULLIGAN - Why not post this in the US Open thread with almost 100 other comments?

And no, there were 8 scores 80 and above today, not 13. But yes, the USGA screwed up royally (AGAIN) and has actually apologized for it.

They should turn the Open over to the Masters/Augusta National group. They do a better job building the game, anyway.

I haven’t watched golf in a few years, but I’m one of those who actually enjoy watching the pros struggle...it brings out their ultimate creativity. Just imagine how difficult those courses would be for us to play...I find it compelling.

Reactions: LoyalandTrueLion
The greens are way too quick. They are heavily sloped to begin with. Making them so quick is just punitive. Combine that with the winds they have had this week, and the scores are understandably high. It puts a heavy premium on being able to hit the ball a mile, like Dustin Johnson does. He is able to hit higher irons for his approaches than his peers who cannot hit it as far, either off the tee or from the fairway. That helps when you are trying to make the ball say on the green with your approach shot.

Yep. Add a windmill and a large clown with an open mouth and you've got the US Open these days. What a joke it is, now.
tenor.gif

Reactions: bmw199
Dustin Johnson (loud and clear) after leaving a putt short on 9: "If I hit it any harder it'll go down the f****** hill"

Reactions: bytir
Rickie Fowler shoots 84, and there's nothing wrong w/ the golf course? Meanwhile guys hit 450 yard drives w/ pink and orange balls (all usga legal) every week on the golf channel. There's a better way for the usga to raise us open scores, and it doesn't involve effing w/ the golf course. As for this particular venue, it needs to be taken out of the rotation.

What they have done is take it from being a test of skill to a test of luck. One shot lands 10 feet from the hole and stays pretty close to where it lands. Another shot lands 5 feet from the hole and rolls 20 yards off of the green. Just silly.

You can call it luck but I' look at it a different way. The player who hit it to 10 feet did what the second guy who hit it to 5 feet was trying to do. The second player hit it to the wrong spot so rather than call it luck I'll applaud the first player for a great shot. Remember; these guys are good!

Having said that, there were some bad pins based upon the afternoon conditions.

Mike Davis already scoping out potential pin placements for next year's Open. Hmmm...

Pebble%20Beach.jpg

Reactions: psuro
They have made the courses silly long, added fescue grass to every US Open course, rolled the greens down to concrete, removed all fringes from greens, and raised all greens so hills surround every green. One of those things needs to change. When you do all of them you ruin the tournament. They better not effe up pebble next year

I love it. Don't like seeing -20s every other week. Put a little test in front of these primadonnas and they cry all the way to the bank of course.

Reactions: Tri-Power65
You can call it luck but I' look at it a different way. The player who hit it to 10 feet did what the second guy who hit it to 5 feet was trying to do. The second player hit it to the wrong spot so rather than call it luck I'll applaud the first player for a great shot. Remember; these guys are good!

Having said that, there were some bad pins based upon the afternoon conditions.

The flaw in your argument is the punitive nature of hitting it within 5 feet of the hole, but on the wrong side of the hole. They are also asking these golfers to hit it within 5 to 10 feet of a pin, on the correct side of the hole, from 180 yards away, in a 10 to 20 MPH wind. The line between a good shot that gives you a reasonable birdie putt and an equally good shot within 5 feet of the hole that rolls off the green is way too fine--finer than the margin of error that exists within golf. That is why this tournament has turned into a contest of luck rather than skill.

Last edited:
Reactions: ILLINOISLION
The flaw in your argument is the punitive nature of hitting it within 5 feet of the hole, but on the wrong side of the hole. They are also asking these golfers to hit it within 5 to 10 feet of a pin, on the correct side of the hole, from 180 yards away, in a 10 to 20 MPH wind. The line between a good shot that gives you a reasonable birdie put and an equally good shot within 5 feet of the hole that rolls off the green is way too fine--finer than the margin of error that exists within golf. That is why this tournament has turned into a contest of luck rather than skill.

Of course I agree with you if you are saying that from 180 in a 10-20 MPH to have 2 balls within 15 of each other have such different results is finer than the margin of error that exists even for these guys.

But the guy who hits it to 5 feet on the wrong side of the pin when he knows he can't do that deserves no sympathy. There are spots on most greens where, depending on the pin, you can't hit it. You play what the course gives you and in this example a 20-25 foot birdie putt from the correct side should be doable. The guy who hit it to 10 feet just hit a great shot; give him credit.

In the end we disagree on the luck component. Both players had the skill to hit it to the correct side of the pin; the fact that one of them didn't do it has nothing to do with luck.

Yesterday there were plenty of examples where similar shots were landing within well under 10 feet of each other on the same side of a hole and same portion of a green.....one would turn out ok and the other one would either roll back 20-40 yds or roll forward another 20-40 yds.

A slugfest turned into too much of a luckfest.

Of course, today’s story will quite possibly end up being how the USGA has overreacted to yesterday by making it way to easy: Dr Phil has turned in a 69, Ricky a 65 (19 strokes better than yesterday).

19 strokes better than yesterday
This fact alone shows the failure of the usga. Nothing else needs to be said. Davis needs to go and Shinnecock needs to go. They're back there in EIGHT YEARS! Why? Fix the GD equipment and start returning to classic venues w/ trees. Chicago GC up for it Illy?

This fact alone shows the failure of the usga. Nothing else needs to be said. Davis needs to go and Shinnecock needs to go. They're back there in EIGHT YEARS! Why? Fix the GD equipment and start returning to classic venues w/ trees. Chicago GC up for it Illy?

There are too many great courses out there to repeat coming back to a venue that has now failed twice in a row. Especially so soon.

I’ve been fortunate to play Chicago Golf Club 4-5 times, a great great course. The only trees of note are around the tee boxes.

There will never be any major tournament there because the property is in a residential area, there’s no space on the property for the crowds let along hospitality tents, etc. Plus the approx 125 members are very private.

Yesterday there were plenty of examples where similar shots were landing within well under 10 feet of each other on the same side of a hole and same portion of a green.....one would turn out ok and the other one would either roll back 20-40 yds or roll forward another 20-40 yds.

A slugfest turned into too much of a luckfest.

Of course, today’s story will quite possibly end up being how the USGA has overreacted to yesterday by making it way to easy: Dr Phil has turned in a 69, Ricky a 65 (19 strokes better than yesterday).

I watched the entire broadcast and can't recall what you are referring to.

I have it recorded; could you please give some examples.

There are too many great courses out there to repeat coming back to a venue that has now failed twice in a row. Especially so soon.

I’ve been fortunate to play Chicago Golf Club 4-5 times, a great great course. The only trees of note are around the tee boxes.

There will never be any major tournament there because the property is in a residential area, there’s no space on the property for the crowds let along hospitality tents, etc. Plus the approx 125 members are very private.
When I played CGC (late 80's?), there were some trees. Again, fix the equipment and look at sites like Crystal Downs maybe? I don't know how a place like that would fit spectators, but I don't care anymore. Play Pine Valley w/ NO spectators, and it's better than this. Play Seminole in March w/ no spectators.

ADVERTISEMENT