ADVERTISEMENT

USA Wresling Match of the Day

Just thought this would be best thread to post a throwback story about a high school career. Severn wrestled 17 matches his junior year in one day.

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/3/26/21192265/dan-severn-17-ufc-news-mma-a-fighters-legacy-podcasat

In a high school holiday tournament, both I and my opponent were wrestling in our third match in one hour (obviously less rules back then). Needless to say, there was not a lot of action. I lost 1-0. But neither of us could get anything going.

Terry Brands 1995 World Championship finals:

It'd be interesting to apply modern scoring because it's a far different match on the scoreboard, even if the result is probably the same.
  • 2-0 Terry exposure
  • 2-2 Sissaouri criteria go-behind
  • 2-6 Sissaouri TD & gut
  • 3-6 Terry step out
  • 4-6 Terry step out
  • 5-6 Terry step out
  • 6-6 Terry criteria step out
  • 7-6 Terry step out
  • 8-6 Terry step out with :09 remaining. At this point the ref hit Sissaouri with his third caution, giving Terry the win on DQ, the scoreboard would've read 3-3
Sissaouri looked like the better wrestler but he couldn't get out bounds fast enough for the entire second half of that match. You stop wrestling, you deserve to lose.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Back in the early days of UFC, there was a unlimited weight tourney, Severn was in many a final, usually against Gracie. Those guys were freakin beat up by the time the finals come round.
Those two would rarely be beat up because they took very little damage.

ADVERTISEMENT