ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today says both Meyer and Durkin should be GONE

USA Today? Not just USA TOday. But Christine Brennan, hater of all things Penn State.

What took this feminist so long to write a story in outrage of Urban Meyer. That was nearly a month ago!

I think it's being overlooked that the dynamic duo of Delaney and Emerett haven't said a word publicly about this (at least not that I'm aware of). If O$U is willing to plow through any public backlash, what motivation do they have to fire Meyer if there are no threats of punishment from the NCAA or BIG. Or even an indication that they are watching the situation.

They are just saying that Meyer shouldn't be given a benefit of the doubt that others before him were not afforded. The real argument against retaining Meyer is:

The big picture and public perception is what matters.

The real determinant is that you have an extremely public figure who has now lost all credibility. It really only matters now that Meyer lied incessently, rehired someone that he knew had spouse abuse accusations, promoted him, and then the entire university remained hushed and did not act until 2018 when the alleged spouse abuser coach had a DUI and multiple police involved domestic incidents in 2015.

Looking at who else Meyer hired, they all seem to have considerable baggage. So much so for Schiano that Tennessee recently publically and embarassingly rejected him. So much so for Kevin Wilson that Indiana had to fire him for abusing his own players.

Add in Ohio St looking the other way for hundreds of other sexually abused student athletes in wrestling and diving. Add in Meyer's two time assistant Durkin taking abusive culture to a very dangerous level at Maryland. Add in Meyer's very well known cheating on his wife with basically children about the same age as his own at UF. Meyer and Ohio St have no remaining credibility.

The only way it can be restored is complete cleaning house. That means the AD, Meyer, Schiano, Wilson, and anyone at Ohio St that looked the other way as their own student athletes were being abused for decades.

Otherwise, you are left with a staff and student body that knows that they are systematically permitted to be abused. You are left with a public that knows via data point after data point that those in positions of power who covered up abuse continue to run the show at Ohio St and probably have covered up other abuses or will certainly do so in the future.

The decision is not about technicalities in Zach Smith's eventual firing. It is about the big picture culture and perception of culture at Ohio St where pervasive physical and sexual abuse is not just permitted, but no one even seems to care. As an organization, you either boldly stamp that out and clean house, or you have just told the public that your organization will harbor abusers and no student or spouse is safe.

Spot on. Will OSU go for the short term win and keep Meyer or look at the bigger picture.

They are just saying that Meyer shouldn't be given a benefit of the doubt that others before him were not afforded. The real argument against retaining Meyer is:

The big picture and public perception is what matters.

The real determinant is that you have an extremely public figure who has now lost all credibility. It really only matters now that Meyer lied incessently, rehired someone that he knew had spouse abuse accusations, promoted him, and then the entire university remained hushed and did not act until 2018 when the alleged spouse abuser coach had a DUI and multiple police involved domestic incidents in 2015.

Looking at who else Meyer hired, they all seem to have considerable baggage. So much so for Schiano that Tennessee recently publically and embarassingly rejected him. So much so for Kevin Wilson that Indiana had to fire him for abusing his own players.

Add in Ohio St looking the other way for hundreds of other sexually abused student athletes in wrestling and diving. Add in Meyer's two time assistant Durkin taking abusive culture to a very dangerous level at Maryland. Add in Meyer's very well known cheating on his wife with basically children about the same age as his own at UF. Meyer and Ohio St have no remaining credibility.

The only way it can be restored is complete cleaning house. That means the AD, Meyer, Schiano, Wilson, and anyone at Ohio St that looked the other way as their own student athletes were being abused for decades.

Otherwise, you are left with a staff and student body that knows that they are systematically permitted to be abused. You are left with a public that knows via data point after data point that those in positions of power who covered up abuse continue to run the show at Ohio St and probably have covered up other abuses or will certainly do so in the future.

The decision is not about technicalities in Zach Smith's eventual firing. It is about the big picture culture and perception of culture at Ohio St where pervasive physical and sexual abuse is not just permitted, but no one even seems to care. As an organization, you either boldly stamp that out and clean house, or you have just told the public that your organization will harbor abusers and no student or spouse is safe.
What is with your obsession with UM cheating on his wife with co-eds while at UF? You bring that accusation up in EVERY one of your posts about him. I have absolutely no idea whether or not that is true ... and neither do you, so why don't you stop with the rumor mongering.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Some recruits are receiving all-will-be-well assurances indirectly from Meyer, whose university phone was confiscated when he was placed on leave Aug. 1.

???? What????

so the university confiscates his phone and at some point had cut off all contact with the team but Meyer is going completely around the university through intermediaries to contact the recruits and say everything is fine……and their buying it? Some coach who is on aministrative leave for an abuse scandal has some intermediary contacting you despite his phone being confiscated by the university and that seems legit?

Maybe the intermediary can also sell the recruit's parents some beachfront property in the Sahara? I wonder if Urban is also flying to see the recruits and peeping in their schools window to say hello and then ducking when the principal walks by. Maybe he is sending messages through an intermediary to Courtney Smith's mom that every thing was OK? Maybe he and Zach are peeping in Courtney's window right now? What else is Meyer doing against Ohio St's orders?

It is hilarious that 90% of this message board is adamant that Urban should be fired. I doubt that any of you actually believe he deserves to be fired.

You are guilty of the same pitchfork fanboy mentality of the Ohio State fans who rallied last week. You only care about your football team and you know that you'll always be at best 2nd in your own division with Meyer at Ohio State.

I've seen you attach the wrestling scandal that happened 20 years before Meyer got to Ohio State on a team he has nothing to do with, and also the diving CLUB which is a student organization and not a part of the OSU athletics.

If actual proof comes out Meyer did something wrong he will deserve to be fired, but you should admit it's just what you selfishly wish will happen.

For the record I don't want Urbs fired. I want him to stick around because Franklin is going to kill him on the recruiting trail. Why. First and most obvious, because the best athletes are black and black kids relate to Franklin more than Urbs. Second, I won't bet against Franklin being the first black coach to win the national championship, and there's a movement afoot in that regard. Third, a couple of years of exchanging wins with you and we'll be out recruiting tOSU. All we need do is play .500 ball against you because we're perceived to be a program on the way up whereas you're mired in scandal.

That said, I believe you've no choice on Urbs. You must fire him. He is damaged goods. Parents don't want to entrust the care of their kids with someone of dubious character and compromised values. Between his tenure at UofF and now tOSU he's got a trail of $hit behind him that's large enough to fertilize the Sinai. I say he's dead meat.

To make a moral equivalency between JoePa and Urbs is ridiculous starting with the fact that Joe reported it and Urbs, well, we're not sure what he did. So there's that little detail. As for those other scandals, they matter because it points to a lack of institutional control.

Lastly I don't wish much upon anything. I learned a long time ago you can wish in one hand, $hit in the other and see which fills up the fastest.

Thanks for visiting.

Reactions: ImaWright
The "medical staff" supporting Maryland athletics is headed by Dr. Valerie Cothran. None of the people mentioned in this incident report to Dr. Cothran. Indeed there is no mention of a team doctor, someone with a medical degree, being present at the workout.

Maryland's Athletic Department is organized similarly to PSU's. Team trainers and S&C coaches nominally report to some AAD, in Maryland's case someone named David Klossner. Have you heard Klossner's name mentioned in connection with this situation? Has Klossner been put on administrative leave as Durkin has?

Reality is that they report to the coach of the sport they serve. Rick Court, the departed S&C coach, was hired by Durkin. Wes Robinson, the head football trainer, has a dual listing on the football staff.

Yeah, under NCAA rules, these workouts are considered "voluntary." Are you fool enough to believe they were really "voluntary?" There is no rule that limits the amount of time that the football staff can spend with the staff running these "voluntary workouts" to plan in detail what it wants done. Do you believe that a head football is going to allow staff, who don't report to him anyway, to just go off on there merry way and organize training sessions without him knowing precisely what's being done? If so, then Durkin should be fired for dereliction of and indifference to duty.

Managers do not have to be physically present to be responsible for activities in their charge.

But you can believe all of the drivel you wrote, And while you're at it, check hell for ice formations.

I had not heard of Klossner's name before. Perhaps he should be put on administrative leave.
Where did I claim that "voluntary workouts" are voluntary?
You have used a lot of words, "drivel" in your parlance, describing the staff structure and voluntary workouts but nothing about a failed medical evaluation.

Reactions: PortlandLion
It is hilarious that 90% of this message board is adamant that Urban should be fired. I doubt that any of you actually believe he deserves to be fired.

You are guilty of the same pitchfork fanboy mentality of the Ohio State fans who rallied last week. You only care about your football team and you know that you'll always be at best 2nd in your own division with Meyer at Ohio State.

I've seen you attach the wrestling scandal that happened 20 years before Meyer got to Ohio State on a team he has nothing to do with, and also the diving CLUB which is a student organization and not a part of the OSU athletics.

If actual proof comes out Meyer did something wrong he will deserve to be fired, but you should admit it's just what you selfishly wish will happen.
So keeping a wife abuser on your staff is not proof of doing something wrong???

Reactions: Connorpozlee
So keeping a wife abuser on your staff is not proof of doing something wrong???

It’s OK because he and his wife counseled them and had his life coach and the guy’s grandpa come to the rescue to convince the wife to stay in an abusive relationship so she could share in his money. It’s all cool.

OSU assistant Curtis Knox leaves the program and had this to say:

“In light of the recent activity at The Ohio State University and the uncertainty of the ongoing investigation, I’ve made the tough decision to leave the football staff,” Knox wrote in a since-deleted tweet. “I have been offered a scouting position with the NFL Combine staff and National Football Scouting (NFS). I couldn’t bemore blessed and the timing just seems right to take advantage of this opportunity to jump ranks back to theNFL. I want to thank The Ohio State University for the opportunity andexperience gained during my time with the program. It was a very tough decision, but my moral values and family influence helped lean me toward this move. GodBless and Go Bucks!”
Interesting last two lines there.

Spot on. Will OSU go for the short term win and keep Meyer or look at the bigger picture.

If they keep Meyer, it will be short term. He is 64 years old, has plenty of money and has already
"retired" once. He is probably now just fighting for his reputation. A scenario I could see is he coaches
this year and steps down after the season. That way there is no need for an interim coach, they keep
their recruiting class and have plenty of time to find a replacement to step in after he leaves.

I had not heard of Klossner's name before. Perhaps he should be put on administrative leave.
Where did I claim that "voluntary workouts" are voluntary?
You have used a lot of words, "drivel" in your parlance, describing the staff structure and voluntary workouts but nothing about a failed medical evaluation.

"Medical evaluation by whom? Court? Not a doctor. Robinson and Nordwall? Again, not doctors. Were they trained to diagnose and treat heatstroke? Why isn't Klossner being called on the carpet for inadequately training them or indoctrinating them to behave independently?

In the end, it's Durkin's team and someone died during one of his practices because the staff he had on hand (do you think the presence of an MD would have been denied if he requested one?) either didn't care or was incapable of rendering proper life-saving treatment. His ass needs to fry and to the point of a blackened crisp.

If they keep Meyer, it will be short term. He is 64 years old, has plenty of money and has already
"retired" once. He is probably now just fighting for his reputation. A scenario I could see is he coaches
this year and steps down after the season. That way there is no need for an interim coach, they keep
their recruiting class and have plenty of time to find a replacement to step in after he leaves.

989e684fa333a4c45968c49854e86994.jpg

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
"Medical evaluation by whom? Court? Not a doctor. Robinson and Nordwall? Again, not doctors. Were they trained to diagnose and treat heatstroke? Why isn't Klossner being called on the carpet for inadequately training them or indoctrinating them to behave independently?

In the end, it's Durkin's team and someone died during one of his practices because the staff he had on hand (do you think the presence of an MD would have been denied if he requested one?) either didn't care or was incapable of rendering proper life-saving treatment. His ass needs to fry and to the point of a blackened crisp.
Yep, I agree with all of the questions in your first paragraph; I would like answers to those as well. However I think that you may be playing a little too "tight" with the phrase "medical evaluation". When a mother (not a doctor) notices that her child's forehead is warm and gets a thermometer I would call that a "medical evaluation". If you prefer a different term that is more accurate (in the McNair situation) then I am all ears.

We disagree on your second paragraph. There is no point in rehashing it.

I am curious, if you should happen to know, as to how many BIG teams had medical doctors on hand at their voluntary workouts.

I think it's being overlooked that the dynamic duo of Delaney and Emerett haven't said a word publicly about this (at least not that I'm aware of). If O$U is willing to plow through any public backlash, what motivation do they have to fire Meyer if there are no threats of punishment from the NCAA or BIG. Or even an indication that they are watching the situation.

Maybe it takes planes with directives being pulled through the sky to get them to take action. That's what got our "leaders" to take away Joe's statue......

Reactions: PAgeologist
Yep, I agree with all of the questions in your first paragraph; I would like answers to those as well. However I think that you may be playing a little too "tight" with the phrase "medical evaluation". When a mother (not a doctor) notices that her child's forehead is warm and gets a thermometer I would call that a "medical evaluation". If you prefer a different term that is more accurate (in the McNair situation) then I am all ears.

We disagree on your second paragraph. There is no point in rehashing it.

I am curious, if you should happen to know, as to how many BIG teams had medical doctors on hand at their voluntary workouts.

Penn State does, or at least did until O'Brien/Joyner changed coverage, have a physician present at football practices.

And whether you want to call them "medical" staff or something else, the folks that failed Jordan McNair worked for Durkin.

Doesn't oh-high-ya have any insiders in that paper to do damage control?

Fortunately not......

Sadly wins and losses always have too much impact on these decisions. In the Maryland case his record will make the dismissal easier than it would at Alabama. My source claims a lot of players have already shared stories of borderline abuse. Maryland has no choice but to cut ties with the head coach. More challenging decision will be the other staff members and how many this close to the opener.

So do you also feel wins and losses is the determinant for Meyer and staff? I'm not saying your wrong, it could very well be. But what does that say about the organizations and people making those decisions or society as a whole? Should some in a different class be allowed to play by a completely different set of rules and be allowed to just brush off things that others would lose everything over?

Is that what people collectively will allow or is there considerable blowback to brazenly flaunting being above reproach by virtue of one's success on the field or in life? You have an interesting take that probably is consistent with what we see in very class based societies.

I think people overestimate the impact of these things on recruiting some times.
I do agree he's gone but I'm not convinced this would destroy his ability to recruit as long as there's conflicting stories out there. Kids/parents may believe Durkin.

I think people underestimate it. How can Durkin walk into a kid's home and tell his parents that he'll take care of him while he's at UMD and that he is in good hands? I would bet money he told Jordan McNair's parents that he'd take care of their son while he was at UMD, too. Instead they literally ran their son to death.

So do you also feel wins and losses is the determinant for Meyer and staff? I'm not saying your wrong, it could very well be. But what does that say about the organizations and people making those decisions or society as a whole? Should some in a different class be allowed to play by a completely different set of rules and be allowed to just brush off things that others would lose everything over?

Is that what people collectively will allow or is there considerable blowback to brazenly flaunting being above reproach by virtue of one's success on the field or in life? You have an interesting take that probably is consistent with what we see in very class based societies.

Did you just wake up from a coma? That is exactly how the world works.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Their silence is very loud.

Reactions: PAgeologist

For me, it's not about winning football games as much as it is watching your smug, arrogant, entitled fanbase suffer and be humiliated. Because you all deserve that very much. You can all rot in hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: eidolon21
Christine Brennan is the sports world’s moral compass, according to her own self. She spends the majority of her opinion pieces on the alleged or factual failings of others. Armstrong, Bonds, Idiatarod Dogs, Paterno, Ray Rice and hundreds of others. And often she is wrong. Her jury and judge act from afar is boorish.

She must be effing perfect and I’m surprised anyone is allowed to breathe her air.
Well it took her long enough to respond and she says muschamp delayed. Put in today’s paper for max effect. So now they finally are using the moral code term that they held joepa too. Let’s see if it catches on now.

I think people underestimate it. How can Durkin walk into a kid's home and tell his parents that he'll take care of him while he's at UMD and that he is in good hands? I would bet money he told Jordan McNair's parents that he'd take care of their son while he was at UMD, too. Instead they literally ran their son to death.

He didn't literally run the kid to death...you can say his staff did but he wasn't present.
But, if anything, there's going to be an extra level of safety with everything they do now. You realize that kids have died at other schools and they kept recruiting without a problem.
Honestly, wouldn't Maryland under Durkin be one of the safest people to send a kid now after what happened? Can you imagine all the rules/regulations that are going to be enforced.

He didn't literally run the kid to death...you can say his staff did but he wasn't present.
But, if anything, there's going to be an extra level of safety with everything they do now. You realize that kids have died at other schools and they kept recruiting without a problem.
Honestly, wouldn't Maryland under Durkin be one of the safest people to send a kid now after what happened? Can you imagine all the rules/regulations that are going to be enforced.

The buck stops at the head coach here. It's his program. It's his guy who ran the kid to death. So yeah, whether Durkin was there or not this is on DJ Durkin.

Reactions: Art
The buck stops at the head coach here. It's his program. It's his guy who ran the kid to death. So yeah, whether Durkin was there or not this is on DJ Durkin.

I'm not disputing that but that's different than saying LITERALLY he did it. His staff did it which we can hold him accountable for.

Doesn't alter the rest though...Maryland, even if Durkin stays, in theory will be one of the safest place for kids because of everything they will implement. Obviously too late to protect McNair but Maryland is going to have be extremely careful moving forward.

It seems that the buck stops at the head coach in Maryland. Ohio, well the bucks never stop, not even for cover ups of physical or sexual assault.

ADVERTISEMENT