ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today says both Meyer and Durkin should be GONE

Agreed 78. However, to come out and announce you’ll have a decision in 14 days to me suggests you're already leaning toward extending the suspension until you can clear him. Otherwise, you're telling me it takes no more than 14 days to learn all the facts. I have no problem with waiting.

I don't like the 14 day deadline to be perfectly honest but that deadline is also the reason I don't believe they'd fire him. My guess is he's reinstated or suspended for 2 games and they say if new information comes available they reopen the case but that they're comfortable reinstating him with all the information they do have. They want him on that sideline

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
I don't care what happens to Ohio State or Meyer but based on what we know right now I don't see how he's fired
I tend to agree. But what is interesting, is that damage has been and will be done. There is enough out there on Smith that keeping Meyer will be bad PR. Firing him will be too as it is tantamount to pleading guilty. May be a 60/40 decision.

Based on what’s known now, the only reason would be if leadership decides to be risk averse and doesn’t want the potential for a bombshell to come out after they clear him that gives the university another black eye. He’s violated the terms of his contract and they have cause to fire him if that’s the direction they want to go.

I can't imagine that's the direction they WANT to go

I can't imagine that's the direction they WANT to go

Depends on who “they” is. The fan base definitely not. I honestly don’t know much about the OSU president but it isnt Gordon Gee. If there is someone in senior leadership with an axe to grind with Urban this is their chance to do it. No one is universally liked.

To be fair, you can't expect someone to make a decision on what isn't known. You got with the information available and make an informed decision based on that. If additional information comes out then you re-review.
That's true but they are the folks who put out the self imposed 2 week deadline.

Depends on who “they” is. The fan base definitely not. I honestly don’t know much about the OSU president but it isnt Gordon Gee. If there is someone in senior leadership with an axe to grind with Urban this is their chance to do it. No one is universally liked.

Fair point but I think the person is charge is going to care about the fan base/alumni response. Firing Meyer without pretty much having no other option likely won't go over well.

Fair point but I think the person is charge is going to care about the fan base/alumni response. Firing Meyer without pretty much having no other option likely won't go over well.

I agree it’s unlikely. I do think there is a reasonable chance someone in the media has more and is waiting for osu to clear Meyer before they drop it.

Reactions: ImaWright
I agree it’s unlikely. I do think there is a reasonable chance someone in the media has more and is waiting for osu to clear Meyer before they drop it.

That's possible...I also think that's just stupid/childish. If theyu have information use it...stop playing games.

Assistant "what"?

Knox was/is a low level clerk within the OSU football operations (a youngster looking to break into the Athletics career path.
It's not like he was/is an Assistant FOOTBALL COACH or anything even remotely close to it.

Yeah, he had only been on staff for a few months after previously working with the Colts...seems like a non-story

Turd Jerkin's next role: The Joker.
erhseffiioaowp05rfkg.jpg

302862.jpg

1. Durkin has to be gone....How can you convince any top player's parents that the kid should go there? A kid just died under his program because his staff failed to take care of the kid....He is a dead man walking.....
2. Urban- a much tougher call assuming he reported everything to AD...If he did, it all boils down to whether you think someone who probably was violent with his wife was a danger to/ or was a bad influence on the kids he coached...

Yup.. There are opinions out there my gut says since the president of the university fell on the sword in public like that the other day there is no way Durkin and this coaching staff survive. I think they fire Durkin and keep the remaining coaching staff for this year while keeping a close eye on them. Start a new head coach search after the season. I dont see any of the current staff lasting after this season.

Little Wally likes to fall on his sword. It's the only time he knows he's alive.

Durkin is an easy call. The coaches in charge of the workouts reported to him, he failed to adequately manage them, and someone died as the result.

Case hasn't been made for Metyer's dismissal yet.

You have to evaluate the risk of your decision

Risk/reward...I get that. I'm still only going with the information I know to be true. If additional information comes along later I'll consider it then but I'm not making a decision based on what may happen.

Ohio St should probably wait to announce that they are reinstating Meyer until right before the Fed shows up on campus to investigate their wrestler molesting doctor 4 months after Ohio St thought that they had washed their hands of that scandal.

Reactions: Gnat91
It is hilarious that 90% of this message board is adamant that Urban should be fired. I doubt that any of you actually believe he deserves to be fired.

You are guilty of the same pitchfork fanboy mentality of the Ohio State fans who rallied last week. You only care about your football team and you know that you'll always be at best 2nd in your own division with Meyer at Ohio State.

I've seen you attach the wrestling scandal that happened 20 years before Meyer got to Ohio State on a team he has nothing to do with, and also the diving CLUB which is a student organization and not a part of the OSU athletics.

If actual proof comes out Meyer did something wrong he will deserve to be fired, but you should admit it's just what you selfishly wish will happen.

Reactions: dailybuck777
It is hilarious that 90% of this message board is adamant that Urban should be fired. I doubt that any of you actually believe he deserves to be fired.

You are guilty of the same pitchfork fanboy mentality of the Ohio State fans who rallied last week. You only care about your football team and you know that you'll always be at best 2nd in your own division with Meyer at Ohio State.

I've seen you attach the wrestling scandal that happened 20 years before Meyer got to Ohio State on a team he has nothing to do with, and also the diving CLUB which is a student organization and not a part of the OSU athletics.

If actual proof comes out Meyer did something wrong he will deserve to be fired, but you should admit it's just what you selfishly wish will happen.

Sigh I miss the days of solid trolling...

Saying 90% of the people here simply isn't true...also, pretty sure Penn State won the division and the conference 2 years ago.

It is hilarious that 90% of this message board is adamant that Urban should be fired.

I think it's mostly speculation on whether or not he will be fired, suspended or reinstated following the investigation. I don't think anywhere near 90% have stated an actual opinion on what they should or shouldn't do.

You are guilty of the same pitchfork fanboy mentality of the Ohio State fans who rallied last week.

Nope. Guilty of the same pitchfork fanboy mentality of the Ohio State fans who rallied against Joe Paterno 7 years ago. We know for certain Paterno reported what he was told to the AD and school president. We're not so sure yet on Meyer. But hey, double standards are cool when they work in your favor, right?

I think it's mostly speculation on whether or not he will be fired, suspended or reinstated following the investigation. I don't think anywhere near 90% have stated an actual opinion on what they should or shouldn't do.

Nope. Guilty of the same pitchfork fanboy mentality of the Ohio State fans who rallied against Joe Paterno 7 years ago. We know for certain Paterno reported what he was told to the AD and school president. We're not so sure yet on Meyer. But hey, double standards are cool when they work in your favor, right?

You're guilty of doing the same thing you call me out for in your first paragraph. I was grossed out by the Sandusky situation and wanted to know how much Joe knew but I never called for him to be fired.

It's called the golden rule, treat others how you wish to be treated. Joe Pa was fired with no proof of wrongdoing, now that it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, there has been no apology. Meyer should get the same treatment. We are just returning the favor, the only difference is the "PSU scandal" was fake involving a former employee and teens who were not PSU students.

You're guilty of doing the same thing you call me out for in your first paragraph. I was grossed out by the Sandusky situation and wanted to know how much Joe knew but I never called for him to be fired.
And most fans here "haven't called for Meyer to be fired"!!! We are questioning why some "investigation" being undertaken will be known to be complete within a defined time period though ------ with the result "fortuitously" be found right before the start of the football season!!!! Really fortuitous, I might say!!!

You can almost guage the level of buckeye concern by the number of their unhinged that decide to come to our board and convince us that Meyer should be reinstated. With each new shoe that drops, text messages, DUI, the Feds on their campus, etc. there is another wave of their fanboys that come and make their pitch. Can they just fire Meyer already and cleanse this site of their football over spouse abuse arguing filth?

Reactions: MJG-90
Christine Brennan is the sports world’s moral compass, according to her own self. She spends the majority of her opinion pieces on the alleged or factual failings of others. Armstrong, Bonds, Idiatarod Dogs, Paterno, Ray Rice and hundreds of others. And often she is wrong. Her jury and judge act from afar is boorish.

She must be effing perfect and I’m surprised anyone is allowed to breathe her air.
And John Ziegler once dated her!

Durkin is an easy call. The coaches in charge of the workouts reported to him, he failed to adequately manage them, and someone died as the result.

Case hasn't been made for Metyer's dismissal yet.

Quite a leap you made there: "and someone died as the result." As far as I know his death was caused by poor medical attention. And the medical staff reports to the AD; not the HC. Also there appear to be NCAA regs which limit the interactions of the football coaches with the players and training staff at voluntary workouts.

Or maybe PSU fans just want to see the same treatment they received for a coach that actually did what he was supposed to do.

It's called the golden rule, treat others how you wish to be treated. Joe Pa was fired with no proof of wrongdoing, now that it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, there has been no apology. Meyer should get the same treatment. We are just returning the favor, the only difference is the "PSU scandal" was fake involving a former employee and teens who were not PSU students.

This is still an awful argument

Quite a leap you made there: "and someone died as the result." As far as I know his death was caused by poor medical attention. And the medical staff reports to the AD; not the HC. Also there appear to be NCAA regs which limit the interactions of the football coaches with the players and training staff at voluntary workouts.

The "medical staff" supporting Maryland athletics is headed by Dr. Valerie Cothran. None of the people mentioned in this incident report to Dr. Cothran. Indeed there is no mention of a team doctor, someone with a medical degree, being present at the workout.

Maryland's Athletic Department is organized similarly to PSU's. Team trainers and S&C coaches nominally report to some AAD, in Maryland's case someone named David Klossner. Have you heard Klossner's name mentioned in connection with this situation? Has Klossner been put on administrative leave as Durkin has?

Reality is that they report to the coach of the sport they serve. Rick Court, the departed S&C coach, was hired by Durkin. Wes Robinson, the head football trainer, has a dual listing on the football staff.

Yeah, under NCAA rules, these workouts are considered "voluntary." Are you fool enough to believe they were really "voluntary?" There is no rule that limits the amount of time that the football staff can spend with the staff running these "voluntary workouts" to plan in detail what it wants done. Do you believe that a head football is going to allow staff, who don't report to him anyway, to just go off on there merry way and organize training sessions without him knowing precisely what's being done? If so, then Durkin should be fired for dereliction of and indifference to duty.

Managers do not have to be physically present to be responsible for activities in their charge.

But you can believe all of the drivel you wrote, And while you're at it, check hell for ice formations.

You can almost guage the level of buckeye concern by the number of their unhinged that decide to come to our board and convince us that Meyer should be reinstated. With each new shoe that drops, text messages, DUI, the Feds on their campus, etc. there is another wave of their fanboys that come and make their pitch. Can they just fire Meyer already and cleanse this site of their football over spouse abuse arguing filth?
Yep. After they’re done jerking each other off on the O-zone Forum following every new morsel of breaking information, many venture over here trying to rationalize their warped perspectives.

This is still an awful argument
They are just saying that Meyer shouldn't be given a benefit of the doubt that others before him were not afforded. The real argument against retaining Meyer is:

The big picture and public perception is what matters.

The real determinant is that you have an extremely public figure who has now lost all credibility. It really only matters now that Meyer lied incessently, rehired someone that he knew had spouse abuse accusations, promoted him, and then the entire university remained hushed and did not act until 2018 when the alleged spouse abuser coach had a DUI and multiple police involved domestic incidents in 2015.

Looking at who else Meyer hired, they all seem to have considerable baggage. So much so for Schiano that Tennessee recently publically and embarassingly rejected him. So much so for Kevin Wilson that Indiana had to fire him for abusing his own players.

Add in Ohio St looking the other way for hundreds of other sexually abused student athletes in wrestling and diving. Add in Meyer's two time assistant Durkin taking abusive culture to a very dangerous level at Maryland. Add in Meyer's very well known cheating on his wife with basically children about the same age as his own at UF. Meyer and Ohio St have no remaining credibility.

The only way it can be restored is complete cleaning house. That means the AD, Meyer, Schiano, Wilson, and anyone at Ohio St that looked the other way as their own student athletes were being abused for decades.

Otherwise, you are left with a staff and student body that knows that they are systematically permitted to be abused. You are left with a public that knows via data point after data point that those in positions of power who covered up abuse continue to run the show at Ohio St and probably have covered up other abuses or will certainly do so in the future.

The decision is not about technicalities in Zach Smith's eventual firing. It is about the big picture culture and perception of culture at Ohio St where pervasive physical and sexual abuse is not just permitted, but no one even seems to care. As an organization, you either boldly stamp that out and clean house, or you have just told the public that your organization will harbor abusers and no student or spouse is safe.

They are just saying that Meyer shouldn't be given a benefit of the doubt that others before him were not afforded. The real argument against retaining Meyer is:

The big picture and public perception is what matters.

The real determinant is that you have an extremely public figure who has now lost all credibility. It really only matters now that Meyer lied incessently, rehired someone that he knew had spouse abuse accusations, promoted him, and then the entire university remained hushed and did not act until 2018 when the alleged spouse abuser coach had a DUI and multiple police involved domestic incidents in 2015.

Looking at who else Meyer hired, they all seem to have considerable baggage. So much so for Schiano that Tennessee recently publically and embarassingly rejected him. So much so for Kevin Wilson that Indiana had to fire him for abusing his own players.

Add in Ohio St looking the other way for hundreds of other sexually abused student athletes in wrestling and diving. Add in Meyer's two time assistant Durkin taking abusive culture to a very dangerous level at Maryland. Add in Meyer's very well known cheating on his wife with basically children about the same age as his own at UF. Meyer and Ohio St have no remaining credibility.

The only way it can be restored is complete cleaning house. That means the AD, Meyer, Schiano, Wilson, and anyone at Ohio St that looked the other way as their own student athletes were being abused for decades.

Otherwise, you are left with a staff and student body that knows that they are systematically permitted to be abused. You are left with a public that knows via data point after data point that those in positions of power who covered up abuse continue to run the show at Ohio St and probably have covered up other abuses or will certainly do so in the future.

The decision is not about technicalities in Zach Smith's eventual firing. It is about the big picture culture and perception of culture at Ohio St where pervasive physical and sexual abuse is not just permitted, but no one even seems to care. As an organization, you either boldly stamp that out and clean house, or you have just told the public that your organization will harbor abusers and no student or spouse is safe.

That still doesn't make sense. Just because our BOT handled the Paterno issue horribly doesn't mean other coaches should also be fired in the same or a similar manner. ideally, in a perfect world, everyone learned from what happened here and those mistakes aren't repeated.

We disagree about Meyer losing all credibility. Schiano was rejected by Tennessee because he was on our staff when Sandusky was here. We definitely shouldn't be criticizing Meyer for hiring him. Meyer's allowed to bang co-eds. If we going to say anyone that ever cheated on their wife can't be a head coach or doesn't have credibility I think there's going to be few guys coaching.

I have no idea what wrestling and diving have to do with this situation.

Actually, I don't agree with any of what you said. The whole "no student is spouse is safe" line is pure emotion that lacks any logic. Same nonsense we dealt with here following Sandusky

You’re damn right. Fire Meyer. Does he deserve it? I don’t care whether he deserves it or not. It’s all about football after the NCAA’s nonsense. Firing Meyer gives Penn State a better chance at winning the east. Fire him.

Agree...tOSU obviously has so much more to lose than MD in this case. tOSU will defend Meyer at just about any cause. I suspect they will try to suspend him (recalling their self punishment from Tressel's days) and see if that quells the negative press.

If they do suspend and then cave into public pressure it will only look worse. Anything short of firing means tOSU is not unequivocally against DV. They've got more to lose than to gain by keeping him. There are plenty of excellent coaching replacements out there. Urbs is not worth the grief.

My initial reaction was that Meyer needed to go- now I'm not sure even Smith deserved to be fired.

IF he beat his wife- IF- he deserved it. IF on the other hand she is a batshit crazy drunk who kept attacking him because he cheated on her- well, that's a problem for them and the court to figure out. From what I've read so far, I think either scenario is equally likely to be the factual one.

So I'm waiting and we'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT