ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today says both Meyer and Durkin should be GONE

Doesn't oh-high-ya have any insiders in that paper to do damage control?

Fortunately not......

giphy.gif

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
I still think Meyer is safe
Durkin not so much

Agree...tOSU obviously has so much more to lose than MD in this case. tOSU will defend Meyer at just about any cause. I suspect they will try to suspend him (recalling their self punishment from Tressel's days) and see if that quells the negative press.

Things could be coming to a head in very short order at Maryland.

Wednesday night, the University of Maryland announced that it has called a special meeting of its Board of Regents Friday morning at approximately 10:05 ET. Among the topics on the agenda to be discussed at the closed-door session are “[t]he appointment, employment, assignment, promotion, discipline, demotion, compensation, removal, resignation, or performance evaluation of appointees, employees, or officials over whom it has jurisdiction.”

Per the school’s release, there are three reasons behind it being closed to the public:

• To maintain confidentiality with regard to personnel matters at UMCP.
  • To maintain confidentiality with regard to a discussion concerning potential litigation against a USM institution.
  • To maintain attorney-client privilege with respect to legal advice of counsel.
Presumably, the future of head football coach D.J. Durkin will be front and center in the closed-door discussions.

At a press conference Tuesday, Maryland president Wallace Loh addressed the ongoing investigation into the death of 19-year-old Terrapins football player Jordan McNair, stating that the university “accepts legal and moral responsibility for the mistakes that our training staff made on that fateful workout day.” The president acknowledged that McNair’s death could’ve been prevented, but the football program’s “basically misdiagnosed the situation.”

The press conference came three days after Durkin was placed on administrative leave and not long after the attorney representing the family of deceased Terrapins football player Jordan McNair called for Durkin’s dismissal. Thursday morning, McNair’s parents called for Durkin’s resignation during an interview on ABC’s Good Morning America.

Durkin’s administrative leave and subsequent calls for his job stem from a damning report late last week in which it was alleged McNair was showing signs of distress before he collapsed during a workout in late May, dying a little over two weeks later of what his family described as heatstroke. That same report, which led to the suspensions of members of the training staff and strength & conditioning coach as well, also detailed a “toxic” culture within the football program under Durkin, one based on fear, intimidation, belittling, humiliation and embarrassment. Players were, allegedly, routinely subjected to what was described as extreme verbal abuse.

Durkin, as well as two athletic trainers, remain on leave. Additionally, head strength & conditioning Rick Court‘s resignation was announced earlier this week.

Agree...tOSU obviously has so much more to lose than MD in this case. tOSU will defend Meyer at just about any cause. I suspect they will try to suspend him (recalling their self punishment from Tressel's days) and see if that quells the negative press.

I thought the same at first but they're taking a huge risk if they leave him on without knowing all the facts. Imagine if there's more corroborating evidence they haven't yet seen and they let him stay on. I think if anything, they keep him suspended until they're 100% certain he did no wrong.

Jordan McNairs parents just gave an interview to Michael Strahan on Good Morning America and said Durkin should be fired immediately. He drove a toxic culture while with the Terps. After saying that on national television no way Maryland keeps Durkin.

Just as a counterpoint, was listening to BTN, and Leman came on and said that "parents of some players have said the opposite - it's not a toxic culture".

Just offering a counterpoint.

Reactions: dbaguy
I thought the same at first but they're taking a huge risk if they leave him on without knowing all the facts. Imagine if there's more corroborating evidence they haven't yet seen and they let him stay on. I think if anything, they keep him suspended until they're 100% certain he did no wrong.

To be fair, you can't expect someone to make a decision on what isn't known. You got with the information available and make an informed decision based on that. If additional information comes out then you re-review.

Just as a counterpoint, was listening to BTN, and Leman came on and said that "parents of some players have said the opposite - it's not a toxic culture".

Just offering a counterpoint.

Yup.. There are opinions out there my gut says since the president of the university fell on the sword in public like that the other day there is no way Durkin and this coaching staff survive. I think they fire Durkin and keep the remaining coaching staff for this year while keeping a close eye on them. Start a new head coach search after the season. I dont see any of the current staff lasting after this season.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Maryland has to fire Durkin. How is he going to recruit anyone to play for him? He's toast.

I think people overestimate the impact of these things on recruiting some times.
I do agree he's gone but I'm not convinced this would destroy his ability to recruit as long as there's conflicting stories out there. Kids/parents may believe Durkin.

To be fair, you can't expect someone to make a decision on what isn't known. You got with the information available and make an informed decision based on that. If additional information comes out then you re-review.

That seems rather naive. I think you would weigh the risks of there being something else rearing it's ugly head and calculate the potential damage such a scenario would cause. Everything about this entire incident will once again be brought front and center and, it will be amplified exponentially due to the fact OSU didn't properly address it the first time. Every decision will be dissected and what they knew or should have known will be pinned on all the decision makers.

It's easy for fanatical OSU fans to say they should just keep Meyer for the good of the football program but, it would be foolish to think there aren't serious risks to the university and the people deciding his fate if they keep him.

Things could be coming to a head in very short order at Maryland.

Wednesday night, the University of Maryland announced that it has called a special meeting of its Board of Regents Friday morning at approximately 10:05 ET. Among the topics on the agenda to be discussed at the closed-door session are “[t]he appointment, employment, assignment, promotion, discipline, demotion, compensation, removal, resignation, or performance evaluation of appointees, employees, or officials over whom it has jurisdiction.”

Per the school’s release, there are three reasons behind it being closed to the public:

• To maintain confidentiality with regard to personnel matters at UMCP.
  • To maintain confidentiality with regard to a discussion concerning potential litigation against a USM institution.
  • To maintain attorney-client privilege with respect to legal advice of counsel.
Presumably, the future of head football coach D.J. Durkin will be front and center in the closed-door discussions.

At a press conference Tuesday, Maryland president Wallace Loh addressed the ongoing investigation into the death of 19-year-old Terrapins football player Jordan McNair, stating that the university “accepts legal and moral responsibility for the mistakes that our training staff made on that fateful workout day.” The president acknowledged that McNair’s death could’ve been prevented, but the football program’s “basically misdiagnosed the situation.”

The press conference came three days after Durkin was placed on administrative leave and not long after the attorney representing the family of deceased Terrapins football player Jordan McNair called for Durkin’s dismissal. Thursday morning, McNair’s parents called for Durkin’s resignation during an interview on ABC’s Good Morning America.

Durkin’s administrative leave and subsequent calls for his job stem from a damning report late last week in which it was alleged McNair was showing signs of distress before he collapsed during a workout in late May, dying a little over two weeks later of what his family described as heatstroke. That same report, which led to the suspensions of members of the training staff and strength & conditioning coach as well, also detailed a “toxic” culture within the football program under Durkin, one based on fear, intimidation, belittling, humiliation and embarrassment. Players were, allegedly, routinely subjected to what was described as extreme verbal abuse.

Durkin, as well as two athletic trainers, remain on leave. Additionally, head strength & conditioning Rick Court‘s resignation was announced earlier this week.

Durkin better start looking for that opening as the Walmart greeter because he is "TOXIC" after this.
I'm also thinking there might be more on the list.

There will definitely be a huge cost long term if Ohio St tries to retain Meyer with the number of assault problems already at that university and Meyer's own personal history and that of both of his coordinators.

Reactions: cop113 and Cosmos
I think people overestimate the impact of these things on recruiting some times.
I do agree he's gone but I'm not convinced this would destroy his ability to recruit as long as there's conflicting stories out there. Kids/parents may believe Durkin.

Some parents, especially those who are reliving their childhood through their kid, dont care about anything but the sport. They just want to say their kid plays college ball. Parents who actually realize the scholarship is an avenue to better the future of their family by multiple means are the ones who care. I can tell you that you didnt see UMD in on big time local recruits because Durkin is a jerk. Last year they had all the big privates (Dematha, St Johns, St Frances, etc) represented with their recruits, this year not so much.

Reactions: BBrown
Some parents, especially those who are reliving their childhood through their kid, dont care about anything but the sport. They just want to say their kid plays college ball. Parents who actually realize the scholarship is an avenue to better the future of their family by multiple means are the ones who care. I can tell you that you didnt see UMD in on big time local recruits because Durkin is a jerk. Last year they had all the big privates (Dematha, St Johns, St Frances, etc) represented with their recruits, this year not so much.

+1. There was a reason that his first 2 classes, and especially last years class was so highly rated, and this years class is back to normal for them.
Word got out...a lot of words got out.

Reactions: bison13
There will definitely be a huge cost long term if Ohio St tries to retain Meyer with the number of assault problems already at that university and Meyer's own personal history and that of both of his coordinators.

Let’s hope they try to retain him, get lots of bad press, and then 2-3 games into the season they fire him. The school deserves that and more for what has happened.

It’s predictable. If they try to keep him someone will dig up some other thing and the negative press storm will explode. They are just delaying the inevitable

Nope, two game suspension and donate two game salary, probably about one million to some abuse support group.

It’s predictable. If they try to keep him someone will dig up some other thing and the negative press storm will explode. They are just delaying the inevitable

Exactly. How could they ever get to a level of comfort that "everything" is now out? Heck, at any time they could face their equivalent of the ridiculous 1970s claims about Paterno. It will never end as long as he's there IMHO.

Reactions: BBrown and N&B4PSU
They will retain him and it won't be thought about at all if he has a undefeated or 1 loss team late in the year. The media has the attention span of a fly and there will be 3-4 more scandals by then. He will say he is sorry, serve a suspension(if that), and they will say they will be more careful moving forward. Policy changes and training for all.

I'll be pretty shocked if he isn't on the sideline in HV at the end of September. He flat out lied and denied this and they just suspended him to buy time...he's going to be coaching.

Last edited:
Exactly. How could they ever get to a level of comfort that "everything" is now out? Heck, at any time they could face their equivalent of the ridiculous 1970s claims about Paterno. It will never end as long as he's there IMHO.
And The media is not going to protect a football coach. Never going to happen. So the next story could be pretty much anything and the media will go bananas over it. He is done IMO. Remember how Gary Barnett got railroaded out of CU and out of the profession. It was all about activities of his assistants

Reactions: Madsol
USA Today is OUTRAGED? how nice for them
Christine Brennan is the sports world’s moral compass, according to her own self. She spends the majority of her opinion pieces on the alleged or factual failings of others. Armstrong, Bonds, Idiatarod Dogs, Paterno, Ray Rice and hundreds of others. And often she is wrong. Her jury and judge act from afar is boorish.

She must be effing perfect and I’m surprised anyone is allowed to breathe her air.

They will retain him and it won't be thought about at all if he has a undefeated or 1 loss team late in the year. The media has the attention span of a fly and there will be 3-4 more scandals by then. He will say he is sorry, serve a suspension(if that), and they will say they will be more careful moving forward. Policy changes and training for all.

I'll be pretty shocked if he isn't on the sideline in HV at the end of September. He flat out lied and denied this and they just suspended him to buy time...he's going to be coaching.
Agree 100%.

Christine Brennan is the sports world’s moral compass, according to her own self. She spends the majority of her opinion pieces on the alleged or factual failings of others. Armstrong, Bonds, Idiatarod Dogs, Paterno, Ray Rice and hundreds of others. And often she is wrong. Her jury and judge act from afar is boorish.

She must be effing perfect and I’m surprised anyone is allowed to breathe her air.

She's a....dog. ;)

Agreed 78. However, to come out and announce you’ll have a decision in 14 days to me suggests you're already leaning toward extending the suspension until you can clear him. Otherwise, you're telling me it takes no more than 14 days to learn all the facts. I have no problem with waiting.

I will miss his weird smirk on the MD sidelines. Whether winning, losing, good call, bad call - the ever-present smirk was there. Really quite creepy.

Doesn't oh-high-ya have any insiders in that paper to do damage control?

Fortunately not......

The thing about Durkin is when he's getting his ass kicked his weird smile never stops. So if he starts looking like the Cheshire Cat you know it's over for him.

OSU assistant Curtis Knox leaves the program and had this to say:

“In light of the recent activity at The Ohio State University and the uncertainty of the ongoing investigation, I’ve made the tough decision to leave the football staff,” Knox wrote in a since-deleted tweet. “I have been offered a scouting position with the NFL Combine staff and National Football Scouting (NFS). I couldn’t bemore blessed and the timing just seems right to take advantage of this opportunity to jump ranks back to theNFL. I want to thank The Ohio State University for the opportunity andexperience gained during my time with the program. It was a very tough decision, but my moral values and family influence helped lean me toward this move. GodBless and Go Bucks!”

That seems rather naive. I think you would weigh the risks of there being something else rearing it's ugly head and calculate the potential damage such a scenario would cause. Everything about this entire incident will once again be brought front and center and, it will be amplified exponentially due to the fact OSU didn't properly address it the first time. Every decision will be dissected and what they knew or should have known will be pinned on all the decision makers.

It's easy for fanatical OSU fans to say they should just keep Meyer for the good of the football program but, it would be foolish to think there aren't serious risks to the university and the people deciding his fate if they keep him.

I don't care what happens to Ohio State or Meyer but based on what we know right now I don't see how he's fired

You are SO wrong about this.

Reactions: bison13
I don't care what happens to Ohio State or Meyer but based on what we know right now I don't see how he's fired

Based on what’s known now, the only reason would be if leadership decides to be risk averse and doesn’t want the potential for a bombshell to come out after they clear him that gives the university another black eye. He’s violated the terms of his contract and they have cause to fire him if that’s the direction they want to go.

ADVERTISEMENT