ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

Three weeks ago I was in town for my daughters graduation. Ten of us walked into CC Peppers out on North Atherton and were promptly told, in a stern/confrontational voice, that masks are required. Without saying a word, all ten of us turned around and walked out. While exiting, a different group of five people entered without masks and within seconds they also walked out. Seems like an odd business model to me but I don't run a sub shop. We ended up going to Faccia Luna.

At Susquehanna they honored their head of Covid response at graduation with a presidential faculty position in biology. This moron tested poop, made the whole campus vaccinated before returning last August and then made them wear masks and test randomly. If anything they should have charged this guy with the bull for wasting millions.

Just watch Steve Kerr coach and put the mask on before going to the locker room. It's pure theater...he has proved to be a moron.

CDC Sewage testing sites. Just another way of creating fear and misinformation about cases.

Coronavirus rates have risen at 38% of wastewater sampling sites tracked by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention over the last two weeks, possibly warning of new Covid-19 upticks in some parts of the United States even as the number of positive tests plummets nationwide.

Some 2% of the 688 wastewater sites tracked by the CDC showed a 1-9% increase in coronavirus levels from February 27 to March 13, while 9% of sites showed a 10-99% increase, 12% showed a 100-999% increase and 15% showed an increase of 1,000

At Susquehanna they honored their head of Covid response at graduation with a presidential faculty position in biology. This moron tested poop, made the whole campus vaccinated before returning last August and then made them wear masks and test randomly. If anything they should have charged this guy with the bull for wasting millions.

Just watch Steve Kerr coach and put the mask on before going to the locker room. It's pure theater...he has proved to be a moron.
When Steve Kerr's coaching career ends, he definitely can make the transition to college university president rather smoothly; he's checking all of the boxes to make that a reality. He's the poster boy for the devolution of the American male. On a similar note, I was happy when I heard Phillies bans booing Kapler last weekend, because he's another one who has to tout his politics while doing his job.

When Steve Kerr's coaching career ends, he definitely can make the transition to college university president rather smoothly; he's checking all of the boxes to make that a reality. He's the poster boy for the devolution of the American male. On a similar note, I was happy when I heard Phillies bans booing Kapler last weekend, because he's another one who has to tout his politics while doing his job.
And they both coach in the best example of liberal policies gone wrong in the US

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
CDC Sewage testing sites. Just another way of creating fear and misinformation about cases.

Coronavirus rates have risen at 38% of wastewater sampling sites tracked by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention over the last two weeks, possibly warning of new Covid-19 upticks in some parts of the United States even as the number of positive tests plummets nationwide.

Some 2% of the 688 wastewater sites tracked by the CDC showed a 1-9% increase in coronavirus levels from February 27 to March 13, while 9% of sites showed a 10-99% increase, 12% showed a 100-999% increase and 15% showed an increase of 1,000
Hey GulfCoast...you don't happen to be near destin do you?

Hey GulfCoast...you don't happen to be near destin do you?
Nope. I live in the NW suburbs of Houston, but take mini vacations to Destin, Pensacola, Gulf Shores, AL all the time. I really like Destin and also took 2/3 day customer business trips there for years. About an 8 hour drive and great beaches, fishing, restaurants, etc. Texas doesn’t have much in the way of nice beaches, unless you travel toward the border to south Padre Island, south of Corpus Christi.

Nope. I live in the NW suburbs of Houston, but take mini vacations to Destin, Pensacola, Gulf Shores, AL all the time. I really like Destin and also took 2/3 day customer business trips there for years. About an 8 hour drive and great beaches, fishing, restaurants, etc. Texas doesn’t have much in the way of nice beaches, unless you travel toward the border to south Padre Island, south of Corpus Christi.
We are here now. First trip I'm sure we'll be back.

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
I truly suggest reading:
3SpnlCv.jpg

Reactions: blmr31
3 days of masking was all it took to get centre county covid counts down. Thank God the academics were able to save us so quickly! It's almost a miracle and certainly a testament to the effectiveness of masks!
Which begs the question, why did they lift the mandate as the masks obviously work. The mask mandate should be kept in place for the summer as that way Covid will stay away and go down to nearly zero. Why did they lift it if it was working so well to bring down the spread.

Reactions: bison13
Which begs the question, why did they lift the mandate as the masks obviously work. The mask mandate should be kept in place for the summer as that way Covid will stay away and go down to nearly zero. Why did they lift it if it was working so well to bring down the spread.
To be fair, we won't know how much the masks helped until next week but now that they were only used for 3 days it will be tough to quantify that, even for the PSU super computers. HAHAHAHA

Reactions: bison13
They have complete control over the virus with a mask whose threads are spaced 1000 to 10000 times further apart than the 300 nanometer diameter aerosolized covid particle. It's like setting the temperature to the degree if you have central air except more precise. These masks can spot aerosolized covid particles and eliminate them no matter the density of the particles in an enclosed space or the wearer's exposure time.

I tease the pro-maskers but it is absurd to think not only that cloth masks work on covid but that a 3 day mask mandate due to a temporary measurement below some arbitrarily drawn line is in any way following the science. It's an exercise in rule following devoid of logical thought. Penn St is supposed to be an institution of higher learning presumably with the ability to think critically and solve problems with some degree of understanding of the underlying science. Well, it is not. It is a robotic, non-thinking lemming dutifully following what it's political masters require at the expense of its student body.

You mean the science didn't dictate wearing masks for 3 days? I am shocked. Shocked, I say.
Teacher I work with, Harvard grad from Vermont who loves Bernie S, has been off and on sick for 6 months. Woman wears two masks daily, has been double boosted and can't figure out why she has had covid 6 times, the flu twice, cold, etc. She asked me yesterday why I have never been sick (though I was once over Christmas break) when I dont ever wear a mask and only got the J&J original shot.

My reply, "science"....

Question If masks except N95 don’t work someone explain this to me. My son and DiL both recently got Covid at a wedding in NYC. I just spoke with my DiL and she still feels

Question If masks except N95 don’t work someone explain this to me. My son and DiL both recently got Covid at a wedding in NYC. I just spoke with my DiL and she still feels
Did they stay in a large hotel with shared ventilation? If so, that's where they got it not at the wedding. The exposure time and number of people at the wedding would likely be a fraction of the exposure time and number of people at the hotel.

But we need more information. Did they wear masks? In the hotel? While they slept? I'll be honest, I'm not quite certain what your question is.

Reactions: blmr31 and bison13
Teacher I work with, Harvard grad from Vermont who loves Bernie S, has been off and on sick for 6 months. Woman wears two masks daily, has been double boosted and can't figure out why she has had covid 6 times, the flu twice, cold, etc. She asked me yesterday why I have never been sick (though I was once over Christmas break) when I dont ever wear a mask and only got the J&J original shot.

My reply, "science"....
I do have to wonder, though, what makes some people more exposed. I've got very healthy friends that have had it two or three times. Other families I know have lost several relatives. Yet, other families haven't even had a whiff of a problem. Is it DNA? it seems to be so random.

this-is-soy-random-so-random.gif

Reactions: Ski and bison13
I do have to wonder, though, what makes some people more exposed. I've got very healthy friends that have had it two or three times. Other families I know have lost several relatives. Yet, other families haven't even had a whiff of a problem. Is it DNA? it seems to be so random.

this-is-soy-random-so-random.gif
It's DNA and underlying conditions. It's also vif they take vitamins. I've known married couples that one got it and the other didn't. I'm one of them

It's DNA and underlying conditions. It's also vif they take vitamins. I've known married couples that one got it and the other didn't. I'm one of them
Some is DNA, some is otherwise healthy behaviors. Also think that some people have some immunity due to prior infections of related coronaviruses. Best explanation for why a significant number never got sick or had symptoms to something that is widespread and so virulent.

Some is DNA, some is otherwise healthy behaviors. Also think that some people have some immunity due to prior infections of related coronaviruses. Best explanation for why a significant number never got sick or had symptoms to something that is widespread and so virulent.
Those I know who get tested have had covid. Those who don't get tested haven't had covid. I think there's some correlation but I'm not sure. ;)

Just nuts, this is on the main page on CNN. Complaining that the USA has only 49% boosted versus Europe having 63% and Canada 55% an calling that a 'very serious' problem. A booster that only works for 12 weeks and does about nothing for healthy people or people with previous infection and have natural immunity. A booster that does nothing to prevent infection or transmission. This is not science, this is actually anti- science at this point.

US has a "very serious" problem with Covid-19 vaccine uptake

(CNN)The United States has a "very serious" problem with Covid-19 vaccination uptake, a top health official has warned.
Vaccines are by far the most powerful tool available against the coronavirus, protecting people from getting seriously ill, being hospitalized, and dying from the virus.
Unlike many less developed countries, the US has enough doses to vaccinate everyone as well as the necessary infrastructure to support the rollout.
The problem: not everyone wants the shot.

"We do have a problem with vaccine uptake that is very serious in the United States and anything we can do to get people more comfortable to be able to accept these potentially life-saving medical products is something that we feel we are compelled to do," said Dr. Peter Marks, director of the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 48.7% of people over the age of 12 have been fully vaccinated and received at least one booster dose in the US.
Enter your email to sign up for the Stress, but less newsletter.
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/javascript:void(0)

That is a lower rate than in other countries with similar access to vaccines. For example, 69.6% of people over the age of 12 have been boosted in the United Kingdom and 55.5% in Canada. Across the 27 European Union countries, 62.6% of adults have been boosted.
Marks was speaking to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, as it considered the approval of a new Covid-19 vaccine developed by the US biotechnology company Novavax on Tuesday.
The committee voted overwhelmingly in favor of approving the vaccine, saying its emergency authorization by the FDA would be beneficial, CNN's Jacqueline Howard writes.
Vaccine hesitancy was among the topics discussed in the meeting.
The Novavax Covid-19 vaccine uses different technology from the three vaccines currently in use in the US and so it might be an option for people allergic to an ingredient used in mRNA vaccines.
Asked why there is a need for another Covid-19 vaccine in the United States when three vaccines have already been authorized for use -- Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson's Janssen, the latter a non-mRNA shot -- Marks responded: "The Janssen vaccine is currently not being used as a frontline vaccine, the same way as the mRNA vaccines, which leaves the issue of vaccines for those who might not want to take an mRNA vaccine because of concerns they might have with an mRNA vaccine."
The FDA in May limited the emergency use authorization of Johnson & Johnson's Janssen Covid-19 vaccine to adults who cannot or will not have another type of vaccine, because of the risk of a rare and dangerous clotting condition after receiving it.
Novavax's Covid-19 vaccine -- administered as two doses three weeks apart -- is made using small laboratory-built pieces of the coronavirus to stimulate immunity.
This protein-based approach is a more traditional method of vaccine development than the mRNA vaccines from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna.

Just nuts, this is on the main page on CNN. Complaining that the USA has only 49% boosted versus Europe having 63% and Canada 55% an calling that a 'very serious' problem. A booster that only works for 12 weeks and does about nothing for healthy people or people with previous infection and have natural immunity. A booster that does nothing to prevent infection or transmission. This is not science, this is actually anti- science at this point.

US has a "very serious" problem with Covid-19 vaccine uptake

(CNN)The United States has a "very serious" problem with Covid-19 vaccination uptake, a top health official has warned.
Vaccines are by far the most powerful tool available against the coronavirus, protecting people from getting seriously ill, being hospitalized, and dying from the virus.
Unlike many less developed countries, the US has enough doses to vaccinate everyone as well as the necessary infrastructure to support the rollout.
The problem: not everyone wants the shot.

"We do have a problem with vaccine uptake that is very serious in the United States and anything we can do to get people more comfortable to be able to accept these potentially life-saving medical products is something that we feel we are compelled to do," said Dr. Peter Marks, director of the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 48.7% of people over the age of 12 have been fully vaccinated and received at least one booster dose in the US.
Enter your email to sign up for the Stress, but less newsletter.
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/javascript:void(0)

That is a lower rate than in other countries with similar access to vaccines. For example, 69.6% of people over the age of 12 have been boosted in the United Kingdom and 55.5% in Canada. Across the 27 European Union countries, 62.6% of adults have been boosted.
Marks was speaking to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, as it considered the approval of a new Covid-19 vaccine developed by the US biotechnology company Novavax on Tuesday.
The committee voted overwhelmingly in favor of approving the vaccine, saying its emergency authorization by the FDA would be beneficial, CNN's Jacqueline Howard writes.
Vaccine hesitancy was among the topics discussed in the meeting.
The Novavax Covid-19 vaccine uses different technology from the three vaccines currently in use in the US and so it might be an option for people allergic to an ingredient used in mRNA vaccines.
Asked why there is a need for another Covid-19 vaccine in the United States when three vaccines have already been authorized for use -- Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson's Janssen, the latter a non-mRNA shot -- Marks responded: "The Janssen vaccine is currently not being used as a frontline vaccine, the same way as the mRNA vaccines, which leaves the issue of vaccines for those who might not want to take an mRNA vaccine because of concerns they might have with an mRNA vaccine."
The FDA in May limited the emergency use authorization of Johnson & Johnson's Janssen Covid-19 vaccine to adults who cannot or will not have another type of vaccine, because of the risk of a rare and dangerous clotting condition after receiving it.
Novavax's Covid-19 vaccine -- administered as two doses three weeks apart -- is made using small laboratory-built pieces of the coronavirus to stimulate immunity.
This protein-based approach is a more traditional method of vaccine development than the mRNA vaccines from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna.
I don't think we are anywhere close to 49% boosted.

I've heard some whispers from Dr. friends I know and there was a COVID expert on GMA this morning that hinted at it. What is the "it?" Initially, COVID outbreaks in the vaccinated were blamed on variants and subvariants. There is growing evidence that your body is "expecting" the mRNA vaccine sometime after the second shot. So it kind of goes "ok, mRNA's got this. I am going to put my resources elsewhere". This is common with foreign substances. If you drink two cups of coffee, your body gets used to two cups and that becomes the norm. you need to drink three or more to get that caffeine boost. Same is true with beer, MJ, and many other drugs. Your body compensates. So the whispers are that the boosters decline in net effect at #2 and may even weaken you once you stop getting boosted. There is also fear that being ultra-boosted may mean you make yourself more susceptible to other viruses.

There I said it.

200.gif
Doesn’t make sense to me as that’s not how the immune systems work. It sees an invader it doesn’t recognize it reacts. It’s is I a pa ale of thinking maybe a vaccine will take care of it. And the vaccines don’t attack the virus or any part of it.

More likely, IMO, what happens: the two main vaccines are mRNA that instructs the body to make a key protein that is one the spikes the virus uses for attachment to human cells. The idea is that the immune systems will react to this new protein circulating about by making antibodies to it. And then those antibodies will attack the vIrus that has said protein attached to it. Even the J&J one is a DNA product with similar function.

So after a couple jabs the body is cranking out large amounts of this protein which is now circulating around. After have been in circulation for so long the immune system now sees it as part of the normal biome. It no longer sees it as an invader.

Example......have a friend that received a kidney transplant in his early thirties. Was told he would on anti rejection meds the rest of his life. He is now late 60s and been off all anti meds for several years. Seems over time his body accepted the transplant as his. Don’t know how common this is with long term transplant recipients but guessing not too much.

Bounce this off your Dr friends and see what they think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Online Persona
Doesn’t make sense to me as that’s not how the immune systems work. It sees an invader it doesn’t recognize it reacts. It’s is I a pa ale of thinking maybe a vaccine will take care of it. And the vaccines don’t attack the virus or any part of it.

More likely, IMO, what happens: the two main vaccines are mRNA that instructs the body to make a key protein that is one the spikes the virus uses for attachment to human cells. The idea is that the immune systems will react to this new protein circulating about by making antibodies to it. And then those antibodies will attack the vIrus that has said protein attached to it. Even the J&J one is a DNA product with similar function.

So after a couple jabs the body is cranking out large amounts of this protein which is now circulating around. After have been in circulation for so long the immune system now sees it as part of the normal biome. It no longer sees it as an invader.

Example......have a friend that received a kidney transplant in his early thirties. Was told he would on anti rejection meds the rest of his life. He is now late 60s and been off all anti meds for several,years. Seems over time his body accepted the transplant as his. Don’t know how common this is with long term transplant recipients but guessing not too much.

Bounce this off your Dr friends and see what they think.

Bad news on the Covid front as it appears that the new BA4 and BA5 variants are extremely infectious. We are seeing case rates continue to rise and this past week actually the rate of increase is increasing. I read an article that basically even previous infection is not stopping re-infection (if you had Alpha or Delta basically means nothing at this point) to the point where some people that got Omicron back in December are getting re-infected with the Omicron sub-variant now which is sort of crazy. Good news is that like the other Omicron variants that it is less viral/fatal than previous versions. But the fact that even natural immunity from previous infection is not prevent you from getting infected and transmitting means herd immunity cannot occur either. So basically no idea at this point where Covid is going.

Bad news on the Covid front as it appears that the new BA4 and BA5 variants are extremely infectious. We are seeing case rates continue to rise and this past week actually the rate of increase is increasing. I read an article that basically even previous infection is not stopping re-infection (if you had Alpha or Delta basically means nothing at this point) to the point where some people that got Omicron back in December are getting re-infected with the Omicron sub-variant now which is sort of crazy. Good news is that like the other Omicron variants that it is less viral/fatal than previous versions. But the fact that even natural immunity from previous infection is not prevent you from getting infected and transmitting means herd immunity cannot occur either. So basically no idea at this point where Covid is going.
Wow....well, if trajectory continues...immunity goes down but severity goes down too. Sooner or later, you'll get sick and have no symptoms. So, like a tree in a forest, are you really sick?

Who cares? Every subsequent variant and sub-variant appears to be more transmissible and less virulent. It's time to just ignore it. It's going to infect more people and make less and less people sick. Time to ignore it. You won't be able to evade it and it's probability of serious negative outcomes is dwindling.

Who cares? Every subsequent variant and sub-variant appears to be more transmissible and less virulent. It's time to just ignore it. It's going to infect more people and make less and less people sick. Time to ignore it. You won't be able to evade it and it's probability of serious negative outcomes is dwindling.
Me personally and my family are over it. but doesn't mean it still doesn't effect things. PSU went back to masking for a week. My work just put out some new Covid policy this week with respect to symptoms and quarantine and exposure, etc...and literally two people have called in sick already and are working from home for the next week until they are no longer symptomatic. There are people out there that are going to use the uptick to try and put back in place masking and other shut down type measures, I can disagree vehemently but it will still affect the way I live.

Me personally and my family are over it. but doesn't mean it still doesn't effect things. PSU went back to masking for a week. My work just put out some new Covid policy this week with respect to symptoms and quarantine and exposure, etc...and literally two people have called in sick already and are working from home for the next week until they are no longer symptomatic. There are people out there that are going to use the uptick to try and put back in place masking and other shut down type measures, I can disagree vehemently but it will still affect the way I live.
Well if people don't stand up to anti-science measures now than we probably never will. Forget life as it was once known. Someone has a sniffle and 3 others tested positive with no symptoms. Shut it all down.

Well if people don't stand up to anti-science measures now than we probably never will. Forget life as it was once known. Someone has a sniffle and 3 others tested positive with no symptoms. Shut it all down.
And it does suck for old people. My mother in law is 77 years old, has some rheumatoid arthritis and was successfully treated for breast cancer in early 2021. I mean she is pretty high risk through no fault of her own and struggles with how to stay safe while at the same time not remaining exiled in her home. My parents are 'healthy' for being 79 years old, but by age alone they are at risk. I fear for them as it is just some level of luck of the draw if they get Covid and how will their body react. I think myself, like most people are just tired of Covid and have been thinking for the last year that this wave was the last. I mean the vaccines worked great and had things to nothing at this point last year and then delta. Then delta went away and you had hope and the Omicron. Then after Omicron for certain natural immunity combine with vaccine immunity had put us at herd immunity and yet now that doesn't appear to be true. So just Covid fatigue just sucks.

Wow, what happened to Newsweek? They have had several good, fair and balanced articles the past year. A major change for them.

And this article is awesome because the author names names. He quotes the actual doctors on the board that approved this and called them out for their bad decisions. A rarity these days.

ADVERTISEMENT