ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

Cases are going up again in the U.K. The India ( Delta ) variant now comprises 91% of active cases.
It is significantly more infectious than the U.K. variant. It presents like a regular cold, with no loss of smell or taste.
Obviously a concern for the US, as we have tended to run about 3 weeks behind them.

Reactions: WaylonJ
Cases are going up again in the U.K. The India ( Delta ) variant now comprises 91% of active cases.
It is significantly more infectious than the U.K. variant. It presents like a regular cold, with no loss of smell or taste.
Obviously a concern for the US, as we have tended to run about 3 weeks behind them.

We’re dead.

Reactions: bison13 and WaylonJ
I am going to start a band. Spike Protein and the Variants.

Our music is infectious.
And your first hit, "Covid Conniption", will certainly have greater distribution than, "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu"

0.8M shots yesterday so total up to 306.5 with the 7 day rolling average at 1.05M. 82% of shots administered is the national average, 52.0% of population with 1+ dose (67.0% of the adult population), 42.8% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 173 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 142 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

16,145 positives reported yesterday compared to 19,088 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 15,143.

Fatality was 421 compared to 424 yesterday and 556 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 407.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 15,717 compared to one week ago 18,868 down 16.7%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 2,167 compared to one week ago 2,511 down 13.7%.

So must have been a huge amount of back data filled in yesterday as even though week over week was down by 3000+ cases per day the 7 day rolling increases by over a 1000 cases per day meaning 10,000+ cases were back added. To a lesser extent, also occurred with the fatality numbers which bumped back up over 400.

1.6M shots yesterday so total up to 308.1 with the 7 day rolling average at 1.12M. 82% of shots administered is the national average, 52.2% of population with 1+ dose (67.3% of the adult population), 43.1% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 173 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 143 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

9,427 positives reported yesterday compared to 16,143 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 14,184.

Fatality was 308 compared to 421 yesterday and 433 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 389.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 15,304 compared to one week ago 18,386 down 16.8%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 2,134 compared to one week ago 2,438 down 12.5%.

Thanks China!

In China's Latest Outbreak, Doctors Say the Infected Get Sicker, Faster​

f62659c0-cc5f-11eb-b68f-c2b1a80ea6d9

A vaccination center in Wuhan, China, on Wednesday. Doctors in the country say patients with the Delta variant are becoming sicker and their conditions are worsening more quickly than they did with the initial version. (Getty Images)
Keith Bradsher
Sun, June 13, 2021, 9:43 AM

As the delta variant of the coronavirus spreads in southeastern China, doctors say they are finding that the symptoms are different and more dangerous than those they saw when the initial version of the virus started spreading in late 2019 in the central city of Wuhan.
Patients are becoming sicker, and their conditions are worsening much more quickly, doctors told state-run television Thursday and Friday. Four-fifths of symptomatic cases developed fevers, they said, although it was not clear how that compared with earlier cases. The virus concentrations that are detected in their bodies climb to levels higher than previously seen and then decline only slowly, the doctors said.
Up to 12% of patients become severely or critically ill within three to four days of the onset of symptoms, said Guan Xiangdong, director of critical care medicine at Sun Yat-sen University in the city of Guangzhou, where the outbreak has been centered. In the past, the proportion had been 2% or 3%, although occasionally up to 10%, he said.
- ADVERTISEMENT -

Doctors in Britain and Brazil have reported similar trends with the variants that circulated in those countries, but the severity of those variants has not yet been confirmed.
The testimonies from China are the latest indication of the dangers posed by delta, which the World Health Organization last month labeled a “variant of concern.” First identified this spring in India, where it was blamed for widespread suffering and death, delta has since become the dominant variant in Britain, where doctors suggest that it is more contagious and may infect some people who have received only one of two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine.
China has uniquely detailed data, however, because it has essentially universal testing in the vicinity of outbreaks, allowing officials to gather detailed information on the extent of cases.
Delta’s spread in southeastern China focuses more attention on the effectiveness of China’s self-made vaccines. Chinese authorities have not indicated how many of the new infections have occurred in people who had been vaccinated. In some other countries where Chinese-made vaccines are in wide use, including the Seychelles and Mongolia, infections among vaccinated people are rising, although few patients have reportedly developed serious illness.
Nearby Shenzhen had a handful of cases last week of the alpha variant, which first emerged in Britain.
As some other parts of the world still struggle to acquire and administer large numbers of coronavirus tests, southeastern China has used its local production of scarce chemicals to conduct testing on a remarkable scale. Authorities said that they had conducted 32 million tests in Guangzhou, which has 18 million people, and 10 million in the adjacent city of Foshan, which has 7 million.
Guangzhou has also isolated and quarantined tens of thousands of residents who had been anywhere near those infected. The testing and quarantine appear to have slowed but not stopped the outbreak. China’s National Health Commission announced Friday that nine new cases had been found in Guangzhou the previous day.
“The epidemic is not over yet, and the risk of virus transmission still exists,” said Chen Bin, deputy director of the Guangzhou Municipal Health Commission.

1.6M shots yesterday so total up to 308.1 with the 7 day rolling average at 1.12M. 82% of shots administered is the national average, 52.2% of population with 1+ dose (67.3% of the adult population), 43.1% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 173 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 143 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

9,427 positives reported yesterday compared to 16,143 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 14,184.

Fatality was 308 compared to 421 yesterday and 433 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 389.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 15,304 compared to one week ago 18,386 down 16.8%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 2,134 compared to one week ago 2,438 down 12.5%.

1.2M shots yesterday so total up to 309.3 with the 7 day rolling average at 1.1M. 82% of shots administered is the national average, 52.4% of population with 1+ dose (67.4% of the adult population), 43.4% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 174 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 144 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

5,285 positives reported yesterday compared to 11,448 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 13,304.

Fatality was 308 compared to 100 yesterday and 224 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 371.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 14,683 compared to one week ago 17,906 down 18.0%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 2,059 compared to one week ago 2,372 down 13.2%.

A lot of states obviously not reporting or only partially reporting on Sunday's now hence the ultra low numbers. As more states goto not every day reporting, the numbers are going to get harder to read on a day to day basis. Good thing is that the hospitalizations continue to go down and we should hit under 2000 daily hospital admissions this week for the first time.

Another interesting note this weekend I saw a marked decrease in mask wearing. Over memorial day weekend when I went into the mini-mart it was me and one other person who did NOT have masks on (every other person that walked in store still had a mask), this weekend literally nobody had masks on accept the workers. Walking down the street in the little town where we get coffee, zero people wearing masks for the first time ever. The coffee shop actually had put back their tables inside for the first time since the pandemic started. Only time I ever saw a mask was one person who had a gaiter on and put it on when they walked inside and then took off when they walked out the door. Also went to a restaurant where they were NOT seating every other table (even though I still think they are supposed to in some fashion) and the waitresses had NO masks. So you can tell that people are starting to take them off and get back to more normal.

1.2M shots yesterday so total up to 309.3 with the 7 day rolling average at 1.1M. 82% of shots administered is the national average, 52.4% of population with 1+ dose (67.4% of the adult population), 43.4% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 174 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 144 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

5,285 positives reported yesterday compared to 11,448 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 13,304.

Fatality was 308 compared to 100 yesterday and 224 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 371.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 14,683 compared to one week ago 17,906 down 18.0%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 2,059 compared to one week ago 2,372 down 13.2%.

A lot of states obviously not reporting or only partially reporting on Sunday's now hence the ultra low numbers. As more states goto not every day reporting, the numbers are going to get harder to read on a day to day basis. Good thing is that the hospitalizations continue to go down and we should hit under 2000 daily hospital admissions this week for the first time.

Another interesting note this weekend I saw a marked decrease in mask wearing. Over memorial day weekend when I went into the mini-mart it was me and one other person who did NOT have masks on (every other person that walked in store still had a mask), this weekend literally nobody had masks on accept the workers. Walking down the street in the little town where we get coffee, zero people wearing masks for the first time ever. The coffee shop actually had put back their tables inside for the first time since the pandemic started. Only time I ever saw a mask was one person who had a gaiter on and put it on when they walked inside and then took off when they walked out the door. Also went to a restaurant where they were NOT seating every other table (even though I still think they are supposed to in some fashion) and the waitresses had NO masks. So you can tell that people are starting to take them off and get back to more normal.
Agree that more are maskless though in my trip through Columbia MD yesterday I saw 3 different people driving in their cars with masks on and no one else in the car as well as getting yelled at by someone who had a mask on as well as all of their kids having masks on, because I did not. We were outside at a public park while she did this... I just laughed at her

Columbia MD will have people wearing masks for years to come. These are the same people that have no issue with the town gas stations being 25+ cents more expensive than any other.

Reactions: bison13
Columbia MD will have people wearing masks for years to come. These are the same people that have no issue with the town gas stations being 25+ cents more expensive than any other.
Agree, they fight like crazy to keep Wawa out of there and all I can think is how much better their lives would be with it...lol

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

I saw a lot less masking this weekend compared to the previous two weekends. Of course, this means we’re screwed. 😞

i guess this won't mean much for USA, but rest of world this might help as another effective vaccine cannot hurt and they reported to have tens of millions of doses stockpiled.

It should still be authorized here. It gives another vaccination option for people scared about mRNA vaccines changing them into toads, or scared about J&J.

I've stopped carrying a mask, and so has my family. We went to church yesterday, I'd say about 150 people, only 8 had masks. Statistically speaking, no way everyone else was vaccinated.

Reactions: OhHello and bison13
It should still be authorized here. It gives another vaccination option for people scared about mRNA vaccines changing them into toads, or scared about J&J.

yeah, getting the FDA approval also is basically what a majority of countries use to authorize in their own country so imperative that Novavax get FDA approval as that signifies to rest of world it is ok to use. also if booster shots are needed then they already have the approval as well as well as future vaccines of their's.

I've stopped carrying a mask, and so has my family. We went to church yesterday, I'd say about 150 people, only 8 had masks. Statistically speaking, no way everyone else was vaccinated.

i think week by week you will see less and less masks. wearing a mask as a political statement will wain as well. and when the admin declares semi victory in a few weeks before the July 4th holiday, I think after that there will be even less as that will signify to many business that they no longer have to have employees mask up either.

Reactions: OhHello and bison13
The New York Times

Novavax Offers U.S. a Fourth Strong Covid-19 Vaccine​

Carl Zimmer 3 hrs ago

Novavax, a small American company buoyed by lavish support from the U.S. government, announced on Monday the results of a clinical trial of its Covid-19 vaccine in the United States and Mexico, finding that its two-shot inoculation provides potent protection against the coronavirus.
a close up of a sink: Powered by Microsoft News
© Dado Ruvic/Reuters Powered by Microsoft News
In the 29,960-person trial, the vaccine demonstrated an overall efficacy of 90.4 percent, on par with the vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, and higher than the one-shot vaccine from Johnson & Johnson. The Novavax vaccine showed an efficacy of 100 percent at preventing moderate or severe disease.
a close up of a bottle: The Novavax coronavirus vaccine does not need special refrigeration.
© Alastair Grant/Associated Press The Novavax coronavirus vaccine does not need special refrigeration.
Despite these impressive results, the vaccine’s future in the United States is uncertain and it might be needed more in other countries. Novavax says it may not seek emergency authorization from the Food and Drug Administration until the end of September. And with a plentiful supply of three other authorized vaccines, it’s possible that the agency may tell Novavax to apply instead for a full license — a process that could require several extra months.
a large brick building: A Novavax production facility in Stockton-on-Tees, Britain.
© Lee Smith/Reuters A Novavax production facility in Stockton-on-Tees, Britain.

The company’s chief executive, Stanley Erck, acknowledged in an interview that Novavax would probably win its first authorization elsewhere. The company is also applying in Britain, the European Union, India and South Korea.
“I think the good news is that the data are so compelling that it gives everybody an incentive to pay attention to our filings,” Mr. Erck said.
By the time Novavax gets the green light from the U.S. government, it may be too late to contribute to the country’s first wave of vaccinations. But many vaccine experts expect that, with waning immunity and emerging variants, the country will need booster shots at some point. And the protein-based technology used in the Novavax vaccine may do a particularly good job at amplifying protection, even if people have previously been vaccinated with a different formulation.
“They may be really the right ones for boosters,” said Dr. Luciana Borio, who was the acting chief scientist at the F.D.A. from 2015 to 2017.
Last year, the Trump administration’s Operation Warp Speed program awarded Novavax a $1.6 billion contract for 100 million future doses. The company won this tremendous support despite never having brought a vaccine to market in over three decades.
In January, Novavax announced that its 15,000-person trial in Britain found that the vaccine had an efficacy of 96 percent against the original coronavirus. Against Alpha, a virus variant first identified in Britain, the efficacy fell slightly to 86 percent. In South Africa, where Novavax ran a smaller trial on 2,900 people and the Beta variant was dominant, the company found an efficacy of just 49 percent.
But the South Africa trial was complicated by the fact that a number of the volunteers had H.I.V., which is known to hamper vaccines. In addition, the study was so small that it was difficult to estimate how much protection the vaccine provided H.I.V.-negative volunteers.
With the support of Operation Warp Speed, Novavax drew up plans for an even larger late-stage trial in the United States and Mexico. But difficulties with manufacturing delayed its launch until December.
By then, the United States had authorized the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines. In February, with the Novavax trial still underway, the government authorized Johnson & Johnson’s.
As it waited for trial results, Novavax partnered with other companies to start making massive quantities of its vaccine. In India, it joined forces with the Serum Institute, and in South Korea, SK Biosciences. Novavax reached an agreement with Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, to supply 1.1 billion doses to middle- and low-income countries.
But the company’s difficulties with scaling continued, and it needed more time to develop special tests used to confirm the quality of its product.
The new results were based on 77 trial volunteers who came down with Covid-19. The volunteers who received placebo shots were far more likely than the vaccinated ones to get sick, a statistical difference that translated to an efficacy of 90.4 percent.
“It’s a strong result,” said Natalie Dean, a biostatistician at the University of Florida. “It puts them up in that high tier.”
The vaccine showed the same efficacy in a group of high-risk volunteers — people who were over the age of 65, had medical risk factors or had jobs that exposed them to the virus.
Novavax sequenced the genomes of 54 of the 77 viral samples, and found that half were Alpha, the variant that became dominant in the United States this spring.
The vaccine’s side effects were relatively mild. Some volunteers reported fatigue, headaches and other minor symptoms. “This vaccine seems easier on the arms,” said John Moore, a virologist at Weill Cornell Medicine who was a volunteer in the Novavax trial.
Novavax will apply for authorization in the United States after it finishes developing a quality control test, according to its chief executive. “You have to test them every way from Sunday to show that under any conditions you get the same answer,” Mr. Erck said. “And that takes time.”
Mr. Erck said that the company plans on making 100 million doses per month by the end of the third quarter, and 150 million doses per month by the end of the fourth quarter.
With each passing week, the United States is building a bigger supply of authorized vaccines from other companies, raising the question of whether the nation needs to give any more emergency use authorizations, or EUAs.
“The law says that once you have sufficient doses, there’s no need for additional E.U.A.’s,” Dr. Borio said.
One sign that the F.D.A. is changing its approach to Covid-19 vaccines came last week. An American company called Ocugen had been seeking emergency authorization for Covaxin, a Covid-19 vaccine now in use in India. But on Thursday, the company announced that the F.D.A. had recommended they instead take the standard path to a full approval, known as a biologics license application, which takes many additional months.
But because Novavax has been consulting with the F.D.A. since last year about its trials, Mr. Erck said the company might be able to continue with its plans for seeking emergency use authorization.
“So far, they’ve indicated that if you’re in the process for an E.U.A, you can continue for an E.U.A.,” Mr. Erck said. “Anybody could tell you that could change, but I don’t know how to predict that.”
Dr. Paul Offit, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania and a member of the F.D.A.’s vaccine advisory panel, said that Novavax’s highly effective vaccine would be most welcome. “The more the merrier,” he said. “I think there’s room for many more vaccines, because we’re going to be dealing with this virus for years, if not decades.”
Novavax is preparing for that future by investigating how its vaccine could work as a booster. A new version of the vaccine contains the proteins from the Beta variant first identified in South Africa.
Researchers gave Beta boosters to baboons that had been vaccinated with the original version of the Novavax vaccine in experiments a year ago. The researchers found that the baboon’s immunity against Covid-19 shot up after this booster, protecting them against Beta, Alpha and the original version of the coronavirus.
“When you boost, you see a very high recall response,” said Matthew Frieman, a virologist at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and a co-author of the new study. The study has not yet been published in a scientific journal.
Dr. Frieman said the new study offered encouraging evidence that Novavax vaccines might work well as boosters. It also suggested that people getting vaccines for the first time might do well to get a blend of the original and Beta versions to widen their protection against new variants, he said.
“Novavax may be used as a booster in the U.S., but it’s certainly will be the first vaccine a lot of people are going to see around the world,” he said

Reactions: The Spin Meister

1.39M shots yesterday so total up to 310.6 with the 7 day rolling average at 1.1M. 83% of shots administered is the national average, 52.5% of population with 1+ dose (67.6% of the adult population), 43.7% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 174 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 145 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

10,010 positives reported yesterday compared to 14,866 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 13,189.

Fatality was 205 compared to 308 yesterday and 358 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 348.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 13,944 compared to one week ago 17,469 down 20.2%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 1,955 compared to one week ago 2,326 down 16.0%.

So I think in reading the numbers, almost have to start to look at the trend versus the daily values anymore as so many partial reportings happening and then backfilling of data. Hospitalization numbers really coming down and at a larger percent than the admissions which is interesting. Tells me that we are seeing much less severe cases of Covid such that hospital stays are relatively short.

I still think we are on a pathway for the admin to declare semi-victory for that July 4th weekend. We should be down in the 12,000 daily positive range and fatalities could be under 300 per day by that point. Hospitalizations will be approaching 10,000 and new admission has fallen under 2000 per day. Even the vaccination rate is miraculously staying above 1.0 millions shots per day on the 7 day average. So plenty enough good news on the metric front to claim a victory but still 'warn' about the need to stay diligent due to the 'variants' that are still out there.

I can't see this administration declaring any victory. It'll just say that since we didn't reach 70% vaccinated, variants are still out to get us, then cite the UK (despite the slight uptick in UK cases with their continued mass testing of vaccinated people not affecting hospitalizations)

Reactions: bison13
I can't see this administration declaring any victory. It'll just say that since we didn't reach 70% vaccinated, variants are still out to get us, then cite the UK (despite the slight uptick in UK cases with their continued mass testing of vaccinated people not affecting hospitalizations)

The admin has been targeting that July 4th holiday for months now. I am certain that will declare some level of limited victory to take the accolades of 'defeating covid'. I agree that they will not declare complete victory and caveat it by saying the variants, and continued vaccinations and we still have the kids to think about, etc....so they will play both sides of the fence for sure. But there will be some level of patting themselves on the back, I am pretty certain of that.

Hospitalization numbers really coming down and at a larger percent than the admissions which is interesting. Tells me that we are seeing much less severe cases of Covid such that hospital stays are relatively short.

Excellent observation!
Monoclonal Antibody treatment possibly requires admission but a patient has a very short stay ( in and out same day ) while the treatment is applied.

Hospitalization numbers really coming down and at a larger percent than the admissions which is interesting. Tells me that we are seeing much less severe cases of Covid such that hospital stays are relatively short.
Also a factor could be that therapeutic drug regiments are really working well enough to send people home

Reactions: OhHello
In the least surprising news of the year:

Coronavirus infections dropping where people are vaccinated, rising where they are not, Post analysis finds​

States with higher vaccination rates now have markedly fewer coronavirus cases, as infections are dropping in places where most residents have been immunized and are rising in many places people have not, a Washington Post analysis has found.

States with lower vaccination also have significantly higher hospitalization rates, The Post found. Poorly vaccinated communities have not been reporting catastrophic conditions. Instead, they are usually seeing new infections holding steady or increasing without overwhelming local hospitals.

more: https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavi...where-people-205837251.html?.tsrc=fp_deeplink

In the least surprising news of the year:

Coronavirus infections dropping where people are vaccinated, rising where they are not, Post analysis finds​

States with higher vaccination rates now have markedly fewer coronavirus cases, as infections are dropping in places where most residents have been immunized and are rising in many places people have not, a Washington Post analysis has found.

States with lower vaccination also have significantly higher hospitalization rates, The Post found. Poorly vaccinated communities have not been reporting catastrophic conditions. Instead, they are usually seeing new infections holding steady or increasing without overwhelming local hospitals.

more: https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavi...where-people-205837251.html?.tsrc=fp_deeplink

fake news. and next they will tell me that people who live in Florida and Southern California have better suntans in January then those in Maine and Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT