ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

And only one death. 1 in 6.8M is incredibly small risk.

My early hypothesis, based on the age of the 6 people and the fact that these are only women, is that it may be linked to birth control hormones, which elevate your risk of blood clots. If this was a widely distributed problem, you would see more instances, but perhaps if those people had other covariances for blood clots (e.g. they were also smokers), then the vaccine pushed them over the edge.

But still stopping all vaccinations for 1 death (and 6 cases) out of 6.8M boggles my mind. At the very least, you could continue for men (zero cases) and women over 48 years of age (zero cases).
CNN quoted the stat that you are more likely to be struck by a satellite falling from space than get a blood clot from J&J. That amused me.

Reactions: bison13
CNN quoted the stat that you are more likely to be struck by a satellite falling from space than get a blood clot from J&J. That amused me.

Imagine developing a blood clot from being struck by a satellite while getting the J&J vaccine.

🤯

yeah, really hope that the CDC says pause is off for men and women over 50 starting on Monday of next week. Really need to get the J&J vaccines back in arms.

My guess is they'll just advise women on birth control to get one of the others.

My guess is they'll just advise women on birth control to get one of the others.

i agree.. just hope that they release the men to get J&J right away and say women on birth control get P/M next week. don't hold out for 2-3 weeks on everybody when you know that there is no issue with men and potentially women over 50.

i agree.. just hope that they release the men to get J&J right away and say women on birth control get P/M next week. don't hold out for 2-3 weeks on everybody when you know that there is no issue with men and potentially women over 50.

There have been social media hints that they may unpause it as soon as today

Is that even true? J&J is 6 in 6 million developed a clot. Earth population is 7.7 billion. So 7700 people get hit by a satellite falling from space? If only the USA, then 350 people get hit every year? Doesn't seem right unless they are counting foul balls at MLB games. I guess I better be looking skyward more

Dang, had to look it up. 1 in 300 trillion to be hit by space debris. Link below

Odds

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Is that even true? J&J is 6 in 6 million developed a clot. Earth population is 7.7 billion. So 7700 people get hit by a satellite falling from space? If only the USA, then 350 people get hit every year? Doesn't seem right unless they are counting foul balls at MLB games. I guess I better be looking skyward more

Dang, had to look it up. 1 in 300 trillion to be hit by space debris. Link below

Odds
Not what NASA says.

If they all were on birth control (elevated risk of blood clots) then adding the vaccine to it could explain a lot.
This was my initial thought as well, but I read some things that suggest these are very different types of blood clots. So who knows...

reporting anamolies aside, I really think in a month from now the covid numbers have to be way, way down. I know so many people in their 30s and 40s with no health conditions who now have appointments for the vaccine. so we are going to hit herd immunity sometime in the short future which should just drive the real numbers way down. and by end of this month, anybody who was high risk should be double vaccinated such that 'real' deaths that were due to Covid should be down at levels the same as the flu.

Whose message is that nothing changes? Why isn't avoiding contracting a deadly contagious disease a sufficient change for some people? Weird.

The CDC. Fauci.

What's the point of getting vaccinated if you have to still behave as if you aren't vaccinated? It's a terrible message that will push anyone on the fence away from getting vaccinated.

This time last year the message was "let's keep up our defenses until a vaccine gets here"

That's certainly not the message now.

Odds
Come in it’s CNN - it’s not like they just make things up!:)

Reactions: CentexLion
The CDC. Fauci.

What's the point of getting vaccinated if you have to still behave as if you aren't vaccinated? It's a terrible message that will push anyone on the fence away from getting vaccinated.

This time last year the message was "let's keep up our defenses until a vaccine gets here"

That's certainly not the message now.
So the reason that people will get vaccinated is NOT to keep them from becoming potentially deathly ill and reduce the spread of a highly communicable disease but rather that they can keep from wearing a mask for a few months? Nutty.

Not what NASA says.

Numbers from the same report (the 1 in 3200 link is from my link). They kind of word it funny. The odds that someone of the 7 .7 billion people will be hit are 1 in 3200. Not that 1 in 3200 people will get hit!! Excerpts from your link exactly below. In fact, there has been only 1 confirmed case ever, and that was 1954!!!! If it was 1 in 3200 people getting hit, we'd all be wearing helmets :D

All told, Nasa estimates the odds of a person being hit by a piece of space debris are around 1 in 3200. This means that the chances of any particular individual being struck is trillions to one. With odds like that you are millions of times more likely to be struck by lightning.

While there are anecdotes of people being struck by meteorites, the only confirmed case is that of Ann Hodges. In 1954, a meteorite punctured the roof of her house and struck her on the thigh after bouncing from the radio. It left a large bruise.

So the reason that people will get vaccinated is NOT to keep them from becoming potentially deathly ill and reduce the spread of a highly communicable disease but rather that they can keep from wearing a mask for a few months? Nutty.
So we get the vaccine and continue to wear a mask to protect people that choose to not get a vaccine? Yeah, that makes sense.

No, they're not getting vaccinated because our esteemed public health experts are tacitly saying vaccines don't work by still insisting those vaccinated still take all the unvaccinated precautions.

No, they're not getting vaccinated because our esteemed public health experts are tacitly saying vaccines don't work by still insisting those vaccinated still take all the unvaccinated precautions.
Right, now that you have received the vaccine, you must continue to act like you didn't. Why? Because, well, it's a really nasty virus and just because the vaccine works and either keeps you from getting the virus or prevents you from getting anything but a mild or asymptomatic case doesn't mean you shouldn't continue to take the same precautions to avoid getting the virus that you were taking before you got the vaccine. Joseph Heller would have loved this.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people who have the belief that you describe.

I'd say 75% of them are fairly uneducated, dumb even. It doesn't surprise me at all that they feel this way,
Then there are the 25% who are college educated, running businesses, etc, It's shocking to hear them say they will not get vaccinated.

The majority of Americans still have not been vaccinated. How do you handle the vaccinated and non-vaccinated in the same public space, such as a restaurant? The vaccinated are unmasked with no distancing requirements while the non-vaccinated are masked and have to social distance? So you would have to prove you have been vaccinated, while others are publicly branded as the non-vaccinated? To make things equal, no masks and no social distancing for anyone? That won’t go over in many places.

I'd say 75% of them are fairly uneducated, dumb even. It doesn't surprise me at all that they feel this way,
Then there are the 25% who are college educated, running businesses, etc, It's shocking to hear them say they will not get vaccinated.
I know a ton of people who are well-educated master's degree, doctorates and they are some of the dumbest people I've ever met. I also know some people that barely got through High School and are some of the smartest people around. Education level doesn't mean anything.

I think the reluctance to crosses socio-economic and educational boundaries. I live in an area that has a high percentage of people with college and graduate degrees, and I'm surprised how many are reluctant to get the vaccine. Many are cautious because they have read that the vaccines are not fully tested and conclude that they therefore aren't safe. Others won't get it for the same reason they don't get the flu shot - they aren't concerned about getting the flu or the virus to deal with the needle and the side effects. I have heard others argue from a naturalistic "medicine" perspective - your body has an immune system and there are natural alternatives to the vaccines that are superior because they are natural, not chemicals produced by "big pharma." (They have a whole list of great natural substances that will suffice..) I find massive holes in their arguments, but there is a thought process. I think the the cautious and the indifferent might be persuaded to get the vaccine, and it is people from those groups that hear the Faucci comments and become harder sells.

Friend was a first this week that I know personally... He had the Pfizer vaccine 2+ months ago and now has covid. Tested positive with all the testing methods. First day heavy congestion, 2nd day lost taste, 3rd day lost smell so he scheduled the test and all positive. Doctors have taken a bunch of information on him. From the Pfizer batch number to test if its a faulty batch and that way they can inform others who had the vaccine from that batch. Also took samples to see if its a new variant or which variant it is if the vaccine batch tests come back with no issues. Now on day 5 with no taste or smell still. No pre-existing conditions either. Congestion is better and feeling better than he did a few days ago.

Last edited:
Friend was a first this week that I know personally... He had the Pfizer vaccine 3 months ago and now has covid. Tested positive with all the testing methods. First day heavy congestion, 2nd day lost taste, 3rd day lost smell so he scheduled the test and all positive. Doctors have taken a bunch of information on him. From the Pfizer batch number to test if its a faulty batch and that way they can inform others who had the vaccine from that batch. Also took samples to see if its a new variant or which variant it is if the vaccine batch tests come back with no issues. Now on day 5 with no taste or smell still. No pre-existing conditions either. Congestion is better and feeling better than he did a few days ago.
sorry to say that taste/smell may or may not come back
GF got taste back after ~3 months, still no smell after 6 months

sorry to say that taste/smell may or may not come back
GF got taste back after ~3 months, still no smell after 6 months

Yup... Different friend had covid in December and still does not have either smell or taste back. Said it sucks biting into a good ribeye steak and tasting/smelling nothing.... Doctors have told him its likely his taste and smell won't come back now. Was hoping the vaccine would eliminate that effect of covid but sad to say it doesn't.

The majority of Americans still have not been vaccinated. How do you handle the vaccinated and non-vaccinated in the same public space, such as a restaurant? The vaccinated are unmasked with no distancing requirements while the non-vaccinated are masked and have to social distance? So you would have to prove you have been vaccinated, while others are publicly branded as the non-vaccinated? To make things equal, no masks and no social distancing for anyone? That won’t go over in many places.

I'm fully vaccinated and have no problem with the continued social distancing in public places, and I'm not going to fuss about wearing a mask. There's no reason to change existing practices until a higher percentage of the population is vaccinated. That said, telling people who have been vaccinated that they still shouldn't go out to eat or do other things because of the virus doesn't make sense if the vaccine works. Vaccinated people who like to eat out should do it. It's good for them, good for the businesses and employees, and, by any reasonable measure, safe.

My assistant and her 92 Year old father were vaccinated 3 months ago. Over Easter their family got together and her sister and niece from Long Island came and tested negative beforehand ( there were other family members attending ). Low and behold they picked it up somewhere along the way. The 92 year old father came down with Covid as did my assistants husband. Her husband has a 103.4 degree fever and headed to get checked out. Her dad is feeling better after a cough, tired, cold symptoms a mild fever and headache. They are both in day 6 and the 92 year old who was vaccinated is feeling better and the 52 year old not vaccinated is currently getting tested.

ADVERTISEMENT